Goodell-Rex-Holmes meeting creates a stir

flgreen

Goodell-Rex-Holmes meeting creates a stir

May, 30, 2011

May 30

11:34

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

Rex Ryan's book, "Play Like You Mean it," was released about a month ago, but it seems to be causing a delayed reaction, especially with regard to an interesting anecdote about Santonio Holmes.

In his Sunday notes column for The Boston Globe, Greg Bedard raises questions about an unusual meeting last spring with Ryan, Holmes and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. For those not familiar with it, Ryan called Goodell and asked him to visit the Jets' facility to speak with Holmes, whom the Jets had just acquired in a trade with Steelers. At the time, Holmes was facing a four-game league suspension for violating the substance-abuse policy.

Ryan made a bizarre request of Goodell: He asked the commish to rip him in front of Holmes (for his embarrassing obscene gesture a few months earlier in Miami), and then he wanted Goodell to chew out Holmes for his off-the-field issues. As he writes in the book, Ryan's objective was to get closer to Holmes, figuring their bond would be strengthened after a tongue lashing by the NFL's top man. Frankly, I think this was one of the most fascinating revelations in the book, as most of Ryan's other material had been previously reported.

Bedard's column questions Goodell's role, saying the commish shouldn't get involved in coach-player relationships and suggesting this particular incident reinforces the notion that the New York teams receive preferential treatment from the league office. Goodell, in a brief interview with Bedard, said he did nothing wrong.

I think Goodell stepped into a gray area by agreeing to Ryan's scheme, but I don't think it was a blatant no-no. After all, he was trying to help a player. I can't help but wonder if the Patriots -- remember this report came out of Boston -- did some grumbling behind the scenes. I know that thought is running through the Jets' organization.

Looking at it from a Jets perspective, I think the bigger issue is that Ryan cooked up the entire meeting as a way to endear himself to Holmes. Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com called it a "con," and in a way, it was. It doesn't add up. Ryan is such a good people person that he doesn't need gimmicks to strengthen relationships. He has an amazing ability to relate to all different types of players, so it's hard to understand why he resorted to a pretense with Holmes.

This can backfire on a coach. Ryan's coaching philosophy is built on up-front honesty, no game-playing, but you have to wonder if it will affect his relationship with Holmes. What about other players? Will they look at Ryan the same way?

From all indications, Ryan had a terrific relationship with Holmes, so you can say his little game worked. Now Holmes knows the truth, and he could be an unrestricted free agent whenever this labor mess gets settled. Hmm.

Holmes probably laughed his a$$ off when he found out later.

Exactly. Why would he be offended? His new HC went to the trouble of involving the comish of the freaking NFL to come in and help them form a bond? Sure as hell wouldn't offend me.

As far as it being favoritism toward the Jets. That's silly. He owed both of them a butt reaming, Rex probably suggested that he do it the same day.

What ever. Just Cimini, and some Chowds.

3 SBs in a decade. Caught cheating. He burned the evidence.

No preferential treatment at all here for the Jets... Goodell took part in a meeting that had the goal of getting Holmes back on the right track. If the steering stupid players away from trouble isn't the job of the Commissioner, then whose job is it?

The popo.

I get what your saying, but my point is that in an organization with a public profile like the NFL, where the organization's reputation is impacted by the acts of the individual players associated with it... someone, namely the commish, has to take ownership of keeping players from being their own worst enemies BEFORE "the popo" get involved.

3 SBs in a decade. Caught cheating. He burned the evidence.

No preferential treatment at all here for the Jets... Goodell took part in a meeting that had the goal of getting Holmes back on the right track. If the steering stupid players away from trouble isn't the job of the Commissioner, then whose job is it?

Exactly, bout the only thing I have ever read that Roger done good.

Holmes former Super Bowl MVP has off field trouble, would think the Commish would want to keep a guy like that in the league. nothing to read here let's go get a Damn snack!!

So, dooshie Goodell does a favor for his old employer, The Jets. Yah, that is totally cool. No conflict of interest there. Nope, completely fine. :rolleyes:

Wow...being a stupid b**** just seems to come naturally to you doesn't it?

Archived