Why LA is not getting an NFL team

Bugg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you're saying the reason LA is not getting an NFL team is those damn dirty Mexicans? Racist.

Demographics are not the same thing as racism. You wouldn't open a halal restaurant in a Jewish community. LA is barely an American city any more. Stating so is a statement of fact, not racism. Whether you or I think that is good or bad is irrelevant. SImply the NFL is not going to invest time, energy and money into a city that is not going to pay to see their product. Might suggest the NHL moving the Thrashers from a mostly Africna-American Atlanta to lily white Winnipeg is little different as a business decision.

Well, they already have the graft part down.

Newton: L.A.'s downtown football follies

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-newton-stadium-20110627,0,1367224.column

In the debate over whether to build a downtown football stadium, there's a gnawing, vague and understandable public apprehension that the city may be getting snookered. It's not an entirely formed idea — those who advance it cite a variety of qualms, many at odds with one another. But in the deliberations of the City Council, in public meetings and especially in private conversations, there's a drumbeat of dread.

When The Times' editorial board endorsed most aspects of the stadium proposal eight days ago, the reaction of some readers reflected that unease. A few cheered the idea, but others complained that it was a giveaway to billionaires (Phil Anschutz is the Denver magnate behind AEG), or that the city was in no position to be subsidizing a big project, or that the developer was ducking environmental review.

Much of that is wrong. Under the terms of this deal, the city would give up some potential tax revenue but not any existing taxes; rather, it forgoes a portion of the taxes that would be generated by the new project, so it's not putting cash on the table. Moreover, AEG is performing an environmental review (though it's asking for some special protection from lawsuits), and the city gets the potential to revive its moribund Convention Center by renovating and adding space at AEG's expense.

But this discussion isn't entirely about the deal points. Many smart residents and longtime observers of L.A. politics are troubled not because of what's on the table but because of what's beneath the table: They no longer trust the city government to hold its own when negotiating with a savvy company, especially one that is a big campaign contributor and a fixture of city politics.

AEG has given thousands of dollars in contributions to city and state officials over the years, and Tim Leiweke, its chief executive, has given thousands more. Those contributions usually monetary, but AEG has lots of ways to reward its friends. Even City Atty. Carmen Trutanich, who has sparred with the company, got tickets to see Lady Gaga last year.

A poll commissioned by AEG highlights some of the distrust. Nearly 60% of city residents surveyed supported the stadium, but their confidence in the project is not matched by confidence in their government. More than half said they think Los Angeles is on the "wrong track" (compared with just 33% who said it is headed in the "right direction"), and those surveyed ranked the influence of big money at City Hall as a larger public problem than crime, gangs and drugs. Those are not the signs of a contented electorate.

All this is notably in contrast to the last time AEG came calling on City Hall. It was the late 1990s, and the mayor was Richard Riordan. AEG proposed to build what became Staples Center, and the city vigorously debated the idea. City Councilman Joel Wachs, a veteran watchdog of public spending, led an intense scrutiny of the financing plan.

All the right questions were asked: Was it right for the arena to capture much of the tax revenue that it was expected to generate? Should the operators be required to pay living wages to their workers? Did the city really need new homes for the Lakers, Kings and Clippers? In the end, even the deal's critics had to acknowledge that the city had excellent negotiators on its side.

At the helm of that team was Riordan, a corporate attorney and successful takeover artist before becoming mayor. Few doubted that Riordan matched up well against Anschutz.

Riordan faced an unusual conflict in that he owned the Original Pantry, the 24-hour restaurant that stood to benefit from construction of the arena. So he had to recuse himself from some aspects of the process. But he was surrounded by associates who understood deal-making: His closest friend and advisor was Bill Wardlaw, an enormously successful investment banker, and his deputy for the project was Steve Soboroff, another successful businessman who lately was tethered to the McCourt sideshow over at Dodger Stadium but who in those days was untainted by that mess.

The council, meanwhile, was represented by John Ferraro, the longest-serving member of that body, and its wily chief legislative analyst, Ron Deaton. Those were tough advocates, seasoned in politics and in their lifelong defense of the city's interests.

That's not so true today, in part because term limits have eliminated veterans from our political leadership. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa occasionally shows flashes of negotiating brilliance — he helped persuade city workers to begin chipping in to their healthcare and retirement costs — but his specialty is labor negotiations, not big-ticket deals. Councilman Bill Rosendahl, the football stadium's most outspoken critic, isn't even really opposed; he told me last week he's just doing "due diligence."

The football stadium could do some good for the city, and it offers a port in a storm for the Convention Center. But the debate also is a reminder that Los Angeles has lost something. It no longer fields the kind of seasoned political leadership that inspires confidence. That's a loss far greater than a football team.

jim.newton@latimes.com

Haha! So because fans rooted for their native or heritage country in a soccer game, they won't support the NFL. You don't think Mexicans like American football? The Jets QB is a Mexican, for god's sake! :lol:

Here's another link for you: NFL's Popularity in Mexico Continues to Grow

When the NFL stages a game in Mexico City, it has no problem filling a 100K+ seat stadium.

The city supports two basketball teams and a hockey team. I don't think either of those sports is known for their widespread Latino fanbase, either, but there you are.

And Jews love Middle Eastern food. I always have to chase them away from the baba ganoush at parties.

Why on earth did they host that thing at the Rose Bowl?

In an attempt to prove that FIFA could schedule the World Cup in the southland some time in the future...

As for "there is not reason that LA is getting an NFL Team" - you are so off balance.

The only reason that an NFL team may not succeed is due to the prices they charge per game.

For many years when I have traveled to San Diego for regular season games - the stadium does not sell out because the average "Southland" resident can not afford to go.

You have to remember though that most residents in San Diego are related to military personnel & the average salary just makes enough money to live in Southern California.

LA is different - with television & the movie industry in the greater Los Angeles area, they can afford to be season ticket holders. Just use the Lakers & Clippers as the example to this.

a team that has a stadium in the same area as the Staples center will succeed.

That is why the Chargers are looking into a possible move. It is why the Vikings are considering a move as well.

Plain & Simply Put.

Haha! So because fans rooted for their native or heritage country in a soccer game, they won't support the NFL. You don't think Mexicans like American football? The Jets QB is a Mexican, for god's sake! :lol:

When the NFL stages a game in Mexico City, it has no problem filling a 100K+ seat stadium.

The city supports two basketball teams and a hockey team. I don't think either of those sports is known for their widespread Latino fanbase, either, but there you are.

And Jews love Middle Eastern food. I always have to chase them away from the baba ganoush at parties.

To be honest I forgot the LA Kings existed. And no, with LA being a crappy sports town...due to the demographic I think it's a poor choice for another football team.

The NFL doesnt need any more teams anyway.

Slats - Hummus & Baba Ganoush are as normal to Jewish fare as it is to any Middle Eastern Cuisine.

Your statement could be considered racist - so be careful.

Then why weren't they rooting for the US soccer team?

Why do they have to? Their proud of their heritage! Why is that a problem. When the USA faces Lithuania in basketball, I root for Lithuania. I'm psyched for that little country playing on the big stage against the big, bad Americans, and I'm rooting for them to win. No doubt about it. Mexico and Mexicans feel like second class citizens here (wonder why... ?). Of course they're excited when Mexico takes the USA in a soccer match.

Italians don't root for Italy? The Irish don't root for Ireland? Even three or more generations later?

Give me a break.

I dont get why we cant discuss the obvious though. Isnt LA 50% Hispanic? Why would they support an American football team?

Because Mark Sanchez grew up in southern California hating American football.

The notion that LA won't support a football team because it has a large Mexican population is downright moronic.

Why do they have to? Their proud of their heritage! Why is that a problem. When the USA faces Lithuania in basketball, I root for Lithuania. I'm psyched for that little country playing on the big stage against the big, bad Americans, and I'm rooting for them to win. No doubt about it. Mexico and Mexicans feel like second class citizens here (wonder why... ?). Of course they're excited when Mexico takes the USA in a soccer match.

Italians don't root for Italy? The Irish don't root for Ireland? Even three or more generations later?

Give me a break.

You're in America and you don't root for America in those games?! You sir are not a true American, go back to your country. This is Amureica.

/redneck american.

Then why weren't they rooting for the US soccer team?

A. Some fans at a soccer game held in the Rose Bowl rooted against the USMNT.

B. The fans who rooted against the USMNT are representative of the entire fan population of the greater Los Angeles area.

C. Rooting against the USMNT is directly correlative with hating American football.

D. Ergo, Los Angeles cannot support a pro football team.

Give me a break.

I will never understand why a US citizen, someone born here, would openly root for anyone other their their "home" team. Honestly, once the US is out of contention, I lose interest (talking soccer - not individual sports where it's more man against man - golf, tennis,etc.). I'm a first generation of Italian immigrants and I root for the United States. You can celebrate your heritage, show your pride, and assimilate at the same time. Whatever English I knew going into kindergarden I learned from watching cartoons and playing with the neighborhood kids. It can be done. pfft.

Anyway, I could not care less about an NFL team in LA. I actually think LA is a cesspoool of plastic rivaled only by the other cesspool of plastic known as Miami.

I will never understand why a US citizen, someone born here, would openly root for anyone other their their "home" team. I'm a first generation of Italian immigrants and I root for the United States. You can celebrate your heritage, show your pride, and assimilate at the same time. Whatever English I knew going into kindergarden I learned from watching cartoons and playing with the neighborhood kids. It can be done. pfft.

Anyway, I could not care less about an NFL team in LA. I actually think LA is a cesspoool of plastic rivaled only by the other cesspool of plastic known as Miami.

Yeah, but you were ready to close the borders to keep other Italians out as soon as you were born. :lol:

It's a game. A sport. If the USA got into a war with Lithuania I'd probably (:)) root for the USA. In a game? It's fun to root for my tie-dyed bretheren.

Demographics are not the same thing as racism. You wouldn't open a halal restaurant in a Jewish community. LA is barely an American city any more. Stating so is a statement of fact, not racism. Whether you or I think that is good or bad is irrelevant. SImply the NFL is not going to invest time, energy and money into a city that is not going to pay to see their product. Might suggest the NHL moving the Thrashers from a mostly Africna-American Atlanta to lily white Winnipeg is little different as a business decision.

I do hope you realize I was just busting balls (thus my intentional hypocrisy of referring to them as "damn dirty" before accusing others of being racist).

That said, the NFL is certainly interested in having a team there, I'm just not sure if any owner is.

Yeah, but you were ready to close the borders to keep other Italians out as soon as you were born. :lol:

It's a game. A sport. If the USA got into a war with Lithuania I'd probably (:)) root for the USA. In a game? It's fun to root for my tie-dyed bretheren.

Nah, just those disloyal Lithuanians ;)

B. The fans who rooted against the USMNT are representative of the entire fan population of the greater Los Angeles area.

C. Rooting against the USMNT is directly correlative with hating American football.

You condescending dick.

Give me a break.

They do?

:huh:

So LA isn't getting a football team, because it has a high Mexican population that cares more about soccer? Talk about adding 1 + 1 and getting 24. They are supporting their motherland, and it's a known fact that soccer isn't that popular in America, especially when compared to the rest of the world. This is why more immigrants would show up to support their home country rather than people born in America. It's kind of silly to think that Mexicans would show up to an LA football game and boo the home team. Apples and oranges lol.

I will never understand why a US citizen, someone born here, would openly root for anyone other their their "home" team.

I will never understand why a NY citizen, someone born here, would openly root for anyone other than their "home" team. :)

Maybe if you open your eyes a bit, you'll see that you don't need to blindly follow a team, simply because they are local to you. I was born in PA, but you don't see me rooting for Pittsburgh or Philadelphia teams. I lived in Jersey most of my life, but root for the NY Knicks over the NJ Nets. I've never lived in NY, yet I'm a fan of all NY teams. Some people are just followers I guess. Gotdang! It's a Amurcan team, it's gotta be the best!!!! Yeehaw! Whatever happened to enjoying the sport for what it is, and how people play the game? Too much blind support for anything American these days. "Anything American is better, because it's American, and I'm American". LOL! I prefer looking at the world or humanity as a whole instead of separate groups of people.

BTW, I love how Bugg gets away with this crap because he notes emphatically that whatever he's saying is NOT racist. Dude's a couple of cheezy poofs away from being Cartman in the flesh.

I have to be honest, given my general avoidance of such touchy threads, I was not aware of this. Should I take back my taking back of calling him racist?

C. Rooting against the USMNT is directly correlative with hating America.

Fixed

Archived