Double sessions eliminated under new CBA

Matt39

"One key concession made by the owners will effectively eliminate two-a-day practices during training camp as a health and safety issue that players termed critical to an agreement, the sources said. Teams will be allowed to have some helmetless and padless non-contact walk-through practices in lieu of a second training camp practice on the same day," Mortensen writes.

I saw this in another article. Am I the only one expecting the first few weeks of this season to be a complete disaster filled with some ugly a$$ football? Rookies and free agents with next to no time to learn the system. An entire offseason without coaching. No OTAs, no team-supervised workouts and now a limited practice schedule. I think you'll see an increased rate of injury this preseason and some real sloppy performances until everyone gets their crap together. It should be interesting.

these men are pros they don't need coaches riding their asses twice a day in the dog days of summer. it's ok for high school but cmon these guys are pros.

and bleedin, it's possible we see awesome football this fall because the players are not all banged up. everyone's had a chance to heal.

I saw this in another article. Am I the only one expecting the first few weeks of this season to be a complete disaster filled with some ugly a$ football? Rookies and free agents with next to no time to learn the system. An entire offseason without coaching. No OTAs, no team-supervised workouts and now a limited practice schedule. I think you'll see an increased rate of injury this preseason and some real sloppy performances until everyone gets their crap together. It should be interesting.

I tend to agree. Also think that will have a cascading effect. If I'm concerned about injury, I'm going to keep the players I'm afraid will get hurt off the field - and now those players are even rustier when the regular season starts.

If they have the Hall of Fame game, I may just tune in to see grown men play some Pop Warner football.

All in all, though, good for the players if they got two-a-days eliminated for the next ten years. All you hear about is how much the veterans hate them. If training camp doesn't completely and totally suck, maybe you'll see fewer players holding out until that time when the two-a-days would be over (which we've seen a lot of over the years).

I saw this in another article. Am I the only one expecting the first few weeks of this season to be a complete disaster filled with some ugly a$$ football? Rookies and free agents with next to no time to learn the system. An entire offseason without coaching. No OTAs, no team-supervised workouts and now a limited practice schedule. I think you'll see an increased rate of injury this preseason and some real sloppy performances until everyone gets their crap together. It should be interesting.

Special teams play will be HUGE for the first 2-3 weeks this season. Some teams will be prepared, others will be lifeless.

these men are pros they don't need coaches riding their asses twice a day in the dog days of summer. it's ok for high school but cmon these guys are pros.

and bleedin, it's possible we see awesome football this fall because the players are not all banged up. everyone's had a chance to heal.

I actually do agree with the first comment, but it's more so the combination of that scenario with the complete lack of OTAs, team workouts and everything else that has me concerned. While I don't doubt players will be healthier this year, the two things that concern me most is there is going to be a serious learning curve for a lot of players (namely rookies and FAs) and guys just aren't going to be in the kind of shape they are used to being in at this time of the year. Players themselves will tell you there's just a difference between working out on their own and doing the whole team thing, and these guys will have a much shorter timeframe to get themselves into shape now. Not to say they'll be out of shape fat slobs, but just look at Revis last year, and he's not exactly the kind of guy who you'd think is a slacker and wasn't doing what he needed to in order to stay in shape, but it just wasn't the same as doing the team run offseason. There's a reason that camp and preseason has the highest injury rate all year, and the fact that these guys will be in worse shape could only compound that. I'd be more than happy to be wrong, but this could definitely be a recipe for disaster.

For this season it's not a matter of just the two-a-days, it's the matter of not having any of the offseason camps, practices, workouts, and filmwork that they usually have. Some of these players are complete pros who are fully capable of motivating themselves. Most of them, however, are very well off young men (even at league minimum salaries) who need a firm kick in the azz to get going. There's a reason coaches make so much money, too.

Makes you wonder what this was worth to the players. What did the owners make them give up for this and were the coaches consulted at all? Many of them are gonna be pissed about this.

Hey vets if you don't care what rookies make no more 2 a days.

I think the guys can manage to go hard for 2 weeks.

Most coaches(save Mangini) arent complete a$hole Bear Bryant types. They've been reduced to two hours each.

I'd venture to say its going to be sloppy.

6 National Championships, total a$$hole.

I actually do agree with the first comment, but it's more so the combination of that scenario with the complete lack of OTAs, team workouts and everything else that has me concerned. While I don't doubt players will be healthier this year, the two things that concern me most is there is going to be a serious learning curve for a lot of players (namely rookies and FAs) and guys just aren't going to be in the kind of shape they are used to being in at this time of the year. Players themselves will tell you there's just a difference between working out on their own and doing the whole team thing, and these guys will have a much shorter timeframe to get themselves into shape now. Not to say they'll be out of shape fat slobs, but just look at Revis last year, and he's not exactly the kind of guy who you'd think is a slacker and wasn't doing what he needed to in order to stay in shape, but it just wasn't the same as doing the team run offseason. There's a reason that camp and preseason has the highest injury rate all year, and the fact that these guys will be in worse shape could only compound that. I'd be more than happy to be wrong, but this could definitely be a recipe for disaster.

I don't think this is as big a deal as some are making it out to be.

I think the teams with new HCs and coordinators will be the most affected. They are going to struggle since they have such a short window to implement new systems.

Conversely, this may be a huge advantage to teams that remained stable when they play teams with new HCs and coordinators.

Expect some major blowouts in these games.

I don't think this is as big a deal as some are making it out to be.

I think the teams with new HCs and coordinators will be the most affected. They are going to struggle since they have such a short window to implement new systems.

Conversely, this may be a huge advantage to teams that remained stable when they play teams with new HCs and coordinators.

Expect some major blowouts in these games.

I don't disagree that the severity of how much it impacts each team will vary, but I just don't see how the level of play for any team could be what we'd normally expect. No matter how hard they may have worked on their own, no player has gotten the kind of work they would have had with a full team offseason program, just because of the lack of accessibility to coaches, playbooks, film, etc. Then when you consider that rookies and FAs will have just over a month to get acclimated to their new team, it's one hell of a learning curve.

...or, you could see players showing up WAY out of football shape. Lineman that hit the gym to get strong, but neglected the agility, speed and flex exercises. You could see a lot more injuries. Or as you forsee, less. I hope you are right.

Coaching continuity is a HUGE key this year. It might be time for a thank you baby Schott thread.

Perhaps. Or more likely, it will soon be time for a "This is why we should have hired a new OC years ago" thread. Unless your bet is the Jets' consistently schitty offense will continue to be the same while everyone else's is so much worse, that it'll look acceptable by comparison. I wouldn't count on it.

Perhaps. Or more likely, it will soon be time for a "This is why we should have hired a new OC years ago" thread. Unless your bet is the Jets' consistently schitty offense will continue to be the same while everyone else's is so much worse, that it'll look acceptable by comparison. I wouldn't count on it.

My worry is more of the Jets offense in comparison to the defense they are playing.

there really shouldnt be any concern... teams have done this for years, double sessions in the cba means full pads twice, but now they can have a morning session full and an afternoon in no pads... college and pro teams have been doing this for a couple years and calling it double sessions, just to keep their guys healthy... now its in writing

BG the first few weeks of any season are usually a mess. Not having 2 a days will not have much impact on that at all. Actully scheduling more class time might have a positive impact.

BG the first few weeks of any season are usually a mess. Not having 2 a days will not have much impact on that at all. Actully scheduling more class time might have a positive impact.

As slats said before, it's not so much just the lack of 2-a-days, as I really don't see that being an issue in future years. But in this case, it's just one more thing on a long list of things that will see NFL players and teams less prepared for this season opener than any before. I agree that the first few weeks can tend to be mess anyway, and preseason/camp is always the highest injury volume of the year, but the real point of concern is that because of a combination of lack of preparation and guys not being in "football shape" those issues will only be compounded even further. Don't get me wrong, I'll be thrilled to have football back either way, I just have a feeling it could be really ugly.

As slats said before, it's not so much just the lack of 2-a-days, as I really don't see that being an issue in future years. But in this case, it's just one more thing on a long list of things that will see NFL players and teams less prepared for this season opener than any before. I agree that the first few weeks can tend to be mess anyway, and preseason/camp is always the highest injury volume of the year, but the real point of concern is that because of a combination of lack of preparation and guys not being in "football shape" those issues will only be compounded even further. Don't get me wrong, I'll be thrilled to have football back either way, I just have a feeling it could be really ugly.

Thank God we're entering the third year of Rex's system. Would be a horrible year to be relying on a rookie QB or a rookie HC. Not only that, would be even more difficult to get a new free agent up to speed.

I agree with you, lack of OTAs plus taking away even more practice time is just a recipe for lots of sh*tty football in the early weeks. The game is too fast and too mental for players to not know what the hell they are doing 100% of the time. We're just lucky we're having little turnover on the coaching staff. Hopefully, we sign back most of our big free agents.

The dumbest thing was the helmet banging. Helmet to helmet is illegal during the actual games, as are hard hits now, yet the coaches are running practices that can create more injuries than the actual games. If you're going to claim you fine players due to safety reasons, then back it up by reducing the games to 14 a season, adding another bye week, and creating safer practices and training sessions. Unsafe training sessions should result in heavy fines to the coaches and franchises found in violation.

But of course we know the hypocrite a$$hole Goodell doesn't give two sh*ts about player safety and the fines were never about that. I really hate that a$$hole because it is so transparent. I want to quit watching football just because I hate him so much, but I know all that will do is spite myself and not harm him in any way.

Archived