NFL games are about to get longer and more replay-filled ~ ~ ~

kelly

If an official rules a score (touchdown, field goal, safety or extra point) during a game, the replay official will automatically review the play. If there is any question as to whether the ruling is correct, they will buzz down to the referee and ask him to come to the monitor to review the play. If the replay official confirms the ruling is correct, they will buzz the referee indicating he is clear to let the scoring team attempt the extra point, or kick off if the scoring play was a field goal, safety or extra-point attempt. A coach will not be allowed to challenge the ruling of a score. The intent is to save the coach from having to challenge the ruling of a score and, thus, increase his chances of not running out of challenges or timeouts.

OK I totally get the premise. The scoring team shouldn't get the chance to rush their kicking team out there to either force an opponent to use a challenge or to seal an mistakenly-awarded TD. I don't know if this is better or to not penalize a team for winning a challenge on scoring challenges. They have to cap the limit or there will be 15 challenges a game. But if you correctly challenge a touchdown - one that never should have been called a TD in the first place - you shouldn't be penalized in any way. That might be better than what's about to come down this season with every single TD being reviewed to make sure 2 feet were down or to see if the tip of the ball crossed the line. A coach challenging it would (theoretically) pick & choose because if he loses the challenge it costs something. But the way it worked in the past even if he WINS the challenge it costs something. Yeah, I know if you win 2 challenges you get a 3rd. But it still penalizes a HC for winning because that's 1 less challenge to use on lesser plays like a mere completed pass.

I don't know. I don't want 10+ official reviews a game. At the same time these guys make so many game-swinging brutal calls there needs to be something in place.

Maybe they just need to make the replay-review last no more than 60 seconds. It's probably how long it takes for the review as much as the review itself.

I really don't see it being nearly as big of a deal as this article is trying to make it. I hate the stoppages as much as anyone, but all reviews will be booth reviews, meaning we won't even know a damn thing about it or notice a difference outside of those instances where the booth actually calls down to the official on the field to review it. As long as they don't get crazy out of hand with it and only do it on the ones that are REALLY questionable it shouldn't be that big of a deal. No different than the situation with reviews within the two-minute warning where you don't even realize it's happening until a whistle is suddenly blown and a review is happening. It's not like there's such an excessive amount of reviews within 2 minutes now that would lead you to believe this will be a major issue. Now if it turns out every score ends up getting reviewed on the field, that's a completely different story, but I really don't see it getting to that point.

I really don't see it being nearly as big of a deal as this article is trying to make it. I hate the stoppages as much as anyone, but all reviews will be booth reviews, meaning we won't even know a damn thing about it or notice a difference outside of those instances where the booth actually calls down to the official on the field to review it. As long as they don't get crazy out of hand with it and only do it on the ones that are REALLY questionable it shouldn't be that big of a deal. No different than the situation with reviews within the two-minute warning where you don't even realize it's happening until a whistle is suddenly blown and a review is happening. It's not like there's such an excessive amount of reviews within 2 minutes now that would lead you to believe this will be a major issue. Now if it turns out every score ends up getting reviewed on the field, that's a completely different story, but I really don't see it getting to that point.

I agree.

If anything it might cut down on challenges. I gotta believe the majority of coach's challenges came on scoring plays anyway.

It will also eliminated my least favorite challenge - guy scores on 1st and goal from the half-yard line five minutes into the 2nd quarter, the defense's coach challenges whether or not the runner broke the plane. The TD is overturned and it is now 2nd and goal from the half-inch line.

What the **** did the challenge accomplish - delaying the inevitable?

I'm sure there will be some games that will be super annoying because of these rules, but largely, I dont see it extending game beyond maybe an extra 20 minutes or so which really doesnt bother me at all...except for SNF, MNF and Thursday games where they start way to late and already have enough interuptions as it is...that could get super annoying.

But overall, I agree with the premise of the rule.

I'm sure there will be some games that will be super annoying because of these rules, but largely, I dont see it extending game beyond maybe an extra 20 minutes or so which really doesnt bother me at all...except for SNF, MNF and Thursday games where they start way to late and already have enough interuptions as it is...that could get super annoying.

But overall, I agree with the premise of the rule.

what happens when The Pats score a questionable TD, and suddenly the communications break down between the booth, and the Ref?

This will happen in NE

NFL games are about to get longer and more replay-filled

By MJD

nfl_games_are_about_to_get_longer_and_more_replayfilled.jpgHey, here's something I hate. An increased number of booth reviews in the 2011 season is going to lead to longer games, says the NFL's former vice president of officiating.

A new rule goes into effect this year stating that every scoring play that happens in the course of an NFL game will be automatically reviewed by the replay official. Here's an explanation of that process from Mike Pereira at FOXSports.com:

If an official rules a score (touchdown, field goal, safety or extra point) during a game, the replay official will automatically review the play. If there is any question as to whether the ruling is correct, they will buzz down to the referee and ask him to come to the monitor to review the play. If the replay official confirms the ruling is correct, they will buzz the referee indicating he is clear to let the scoring team attempt the extra point, or kick off if the scoring play was a field goal, safety or extra-point attempt. A coach will not be allowed to challenge the ruling of a score. The intent is to save the coach from having to challenge the ruling of a score and, thus, increase his chances of not running out of challenges or timeouts.

Overkill.

It's not necessarily that I'm anti-replay; if the right call can be made, then it should be. But in the quest to "get it right," it seems like the flow of the game is often completely discarded, and I'd argue that that's way more important to the NFL's viewing experience. And now we're building more stoppages into the game, right after its most exciting plays?

Unnecessary stoppages brutalize a game's watchability. It's like these "reality" shows, where they pound in unending pauses in an effort to manufacture artificial drama, but end up just being irritating as all hell. I don't know how anyone can stand that.

We should be looking at ways to shorten games, not make them longer. If a 1 p.m. game isn't going to end until 5, I want it to be because it went into overtime and gave us free football. It seems like we're getting to the point now that a game won't end on time (before the 4/4:15 games start) unless it happens to be contested by two teams that favor a ball-control offense.

And think about this, too: You know that super-annoying thing that networks do when, after a score, there's a commercial break, they come back for the kickoff, and then have another commercial break, and it seems like there's about a half hour between plays from scrimmage?

Throw a replay break into that, too. You'll see the same Coors Light commercial six times before anyone takes another snap.

I like it. Scoring is something that they should get right, nomatter what. I saw quite a few illegimate TDs last season and other similar things. I don't mind if it delays the game a little but chances are it won't because they go to commercial after scoring, regardless. Review during the commerical, then when it comes back, kick the extra point then kick off immediately. Simple solution and very little time wasted. Then again its the NFL and they are generally really stupid when it comes to that and any chance to add extra commercials they will.

NFL games are about to get longer and more replay-filled

By MJD

nfl_games_are_about_to_get_longer_and_more_replayfilled.jpgHey, here's something I hate. An increased number of booth reviews in the 2011 season is going to lead to longer games, says the NFL's former vice president of officiating.

A new rule goes into effect this year stating that every scoring play that happens in the course of an NFL game will be automatically reviewed by the replay official. Here's an explanation of that process from Mike Pereira at FOXSports.com:

Overkill.

It's not necessarily that I'm anti-replay; if the right call can be made, then it should be. But in the quest to "get it right," it seems like the flow of the game is often completely discarded, and I'd argue that that's way more important to the NFL's viewing experience. And now we're building more stoppages into the game, right after its most exciting plays?

Unnecessary stoppages brutalize a game's watchability. It's like these "reality" shows, where they pound in unending pauses in an effort to manufacture artificial drama, but end up just being irritating as all hell. I don't know how anyone can stand that.

We should be looking at ways to shorten games, not make them longer. If a 1 p.m. game isn't going to end until 5, I want it to be because it went into overtime and gave us free football. It seems like we're getting to the point now that a game won't end on time (before the 4/4:15 games start) unless it happens to be contested by two teams that favor a ball-control offense.

And think about this, too: You know that super-annoying thing that networks do when, after a score, there's a commercial break, they come back for the kickoff, and then have another commercial break, and it seems like there's about a half hour between plays from scrimmage?

Throw a replay break into that, too. You'll see the same Coors Light commercial six times before anyone takes another snap.

Mike Periera is against this? Then I love it! That incompetent imbecile was the worst thing that ever happened to NFL officiating.

What about plays where the offense appears to have scored, but it's not ruled a TD? IMO these should be included as well.

I don't see how this will add so much time to the game. It should only take a few seconds to determine if something is reviewable or not. More than likely if it is it would have been challenged anyway. Plus it eliminates those situations where a coach challenges in sheer desparation.

I like it, but as with anything else, the system needs to be installed and managed properly

It's not necessarily that I'm anti-replay; if the right call can be made, then it should be. But in the quest to "get it right," it seems like the flow of the game is often completely discarded, and I'd argue that that's way more important to the NFL's viewing experience.

Yeah, interfering with the vaunted post-touchdown, pre-PAT game flow is the first step toward killing the golden goose.

Yeah, interfering with the vaunted post-touchdown, pre-PAT game flow is the first step toward killing the golden goose.

100% agreed.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the way most TDs happen now on TV is this:

1. Player scores.

2. Network shows 7 replays from different angles.

3. Commercial break

4. Team kicks extra point.

5. Commercial break.

6. Ensuing kick off.

7. Commerecial break.

How dare they break up that smooth flow! :rolleyes:

I agree.

If anything it might cut down on challenges. I gotta believe the majority of coach's challenges came on scoring plays anyway.

It will also eliminated my least favorite challenge - guy scores on 1st and goal from the half-yard line five minutes into the 2nd quarter, the defense's coach challenges whether or not the runner broke the plane. The TD is overturned and it is now 2nd and goal from the half-inch line.

What the **** did the challenge accomplish - delaying the inevitable?

Disagree. This will increase the # of challenges by a lot. Now coaches won't have to save their challenges for touchdowns and will more freely challenge lesser-impact plays.

Disagree. This will increase the # of challenges by a lot. Now coaches won't have to save their challenges for touchdowns and will more freely challenge lesser-impact plays.

If this adds more than 1-2 replay stoppages on average I'll be shocked. On the vast majority of scoring plays there won't be anything to review.

While coaches may be more inclined to challenge non-scoring plays, since they won't have to challenge scoring plays, I still don't see it slowing down the games all that much. They are still limited to 2 challenges each (its incredibly rare that a team earns a third challenge AND uses it) so if you only 1.5 more replay stoppages per game, you are only talking about 3-5 minutes of real time.

I am sure the networks love this as it will give them an additional 2-3 minutes of additional commercial time.

If this adds more than 1-2 replay stoppages on average I'll be shocked. On the vast majority of scoring plays there won't be anything to review.

While coaches may be more inclined to challenge non-scoring plays, since they won't have to challenge scoring plays, I still don't see it slowing down the games all that much. They are still limited to 2 challenges each (its incredibly rare that a team earns a third challenge AND uses it) so if you only 1.5 more replay stoppages per game, you are only talking about 3-5 minutes of real time.

I am sure the networks love this as it will give them an additional 2-3 minutes of additional commercial time.

This will add at least 5 more challenges per team per game. Maybe 10.

This will add at least 5 more challenges per team per game. Maybe 10.

Actually, it won't add any challenges as the teams are still limited to two per game each.

Also, how many games see 10 TDs being scored? This ain't arena ball. C'mon Sperm. :rolleyes:

They are simply applying the last two minutes of each half rule to scoring plays. The vast majority of games feature zero booth reviews in the last two minutes. I think you are overreacting a bit here.

Actually, it won't add any challenges as the teams are still limited to two per game each.

Also, how many games see 10 TDs being scored? This ain't arena ball. C'mon Sperm. :rolleyes:

They are simply applying the last two minutes of each half rule to scoring plays. The vast majority of games feature zero booth reviews in the last two minutes. I think you are overreacting a bit here.

At least 10 challenges per team per game. Book it.

Now you're just screwing with me dude.

You didn't pick up on it when I said at least 5 per team per game?

1 demerit for publicly displaying unbridled stupidity.

I do think it will increase challenges because there will be no need to save them for touchdown challenges. All coaches not named Marvin Lewis do this.

You didn't pick up on it when I said at least 5 per team per game?

1 demerit for publicly displaying unbridled stupidity.

I do think it will increase challenges because there will be no need to save them for touchdown challenges. All coaches not named Marvin Lewis do this.

You big jerk! :P

1-2 more replay stoppages per game. Book it.

Hey Klecko, what's that flying over your head?

Archived