Why Asomugha Makes Sense

Doggin94it

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's unrealistic. If we were talking about an all world pass rusher, it might be a different story. But we're talking about adding an elite player where all we need is a good starter. It's a complete waste of talent and resources to have this guy covering Deion Branch, Davon Bess, et al. Just don't see the same sort of impact. At all.

First off, even without an all world pass rusher the Jets were 8th in sacks.

but signing ASO It plays to Rex's strengths. As other posters noted they could blitz revis and put ASO on the team's #1. he can get even more creative with his blitzes than he is already. it also provides a backup plan in case Revis holds out or gets hurt. That cornerback position is the one spot the Jets can't lose.

Indianapolis REC YDS AVG TD LG TGTS

Garcon 11 151 13.7 1 36 15

What stat line is that?

Here's his numbers from last year's playoffs:

Pierre Garcon(notes) 5 112 22.4 57 1 0

Jets gave up 16 points to the Colts that day, but only scored 17 points on a defense that regularly gave up 24. It's the offense that needs improving, not the defense.

I think there's a lot of Francisco Rodriguez Syndrome going on here. Everyone hears about the player but they never actually see the player, and people create a mythology about that player until they actually see them, and then they say "Oh."

Yeah, that was pretty much how I reacted to Antonio Cromartie.

NFL offenses are happy to pick on your weakness. the jets nickel back and LB's would give up historic amounts of receptions in a revis/aso scenario

take the money to upgrade 2 CB's and a S so the colts, saints, pats* and steelers and packers don't just spread you out and pick on your scrubs

NFL offenses are happy to pick on your weakness. the jets nickel back and LB's would give up historic amounts of receptions in a revis/aso scenario

take the money to upgrade 2 CB's and a S so the colts, saints, pats* and steelers and packers don't just spread you out and pick on your scrubs

That theory is silly.... without Aso they would just pick on your #2 and the scrubs... how is that better?

That's unrealistic. If we were talking about an all world pass rusher, it might be a different story. But we're talking about adding an elite player where all we need is a good starter. It's a complete waste of talent and resources to have this guy covering Deion Branch, Davon Bess, et al. Just don't see the same sort of impact. At all.

Completely disagree. You put Aso on Branch/Bess, et al., and you get to play 9 on 9 against the rest of the offense. counting the QB, that's 9 on 8. Counting 5 OL against 3 DL, and you can cover 3 skill position players with 6 defenders on passing downs. That is, rushing 3, the QB will have the option of throwing to a single-covered player covered by Asomugha, a single covered player covered by Revis, a double covered 4th read, a double covered 5th read, or a double covered 6th read.

Rush 4, and you are leaving the 6th best receiver in the pattern single covered. Rush 5, and the 5th and 6th best receivers in the pattern are single covered. That's a huge impact.

That theory is silly.... without Aso they would just pick on your #2 and the scrubs... how is that better?

you use the money to upgrade mutliple positions, rather than just one . if the jets go into the season with revis/aso/wilson, the kid will wind up crying on the sidelines after giving up 30 receptions in a game

Completely disagree. You put Aso on Branch/Bess, et al., and you get to play 9 on 9 against the rest of the offense. counting the QB, that's 9 on 8. Counting 5 OL against 3 DL, and you can cover 3 skill position players with 6 defenders on passing downs. That is, rushing 3, the QB will have the option of throwing to a single-covered player covered by Asomugha, a single covered player covered by Revis, a double covered 4th read, a double covered 5th read, or a double covered 6th read.

Rush 4, and you are leaving the 6th best receiver in the pattern single covered. Rush 5, and the 5th and 6th best receivers in the pattern are single covered. That's a huge impact.

So um. Those sixes can't all be typos, right?

you use the money to upgrade mutliple positions, rather than just one . if the jets go into the season with revis/aso/wilson, the kid will wind up crying on the sidelines after giving up 30 receptions in a game

Just stop.

I think there's a lot of Francisco Rodriguez Syndrome going on here. Everyone hears about the player but they never actually see the player, and people create a mythology about that player until they actually see them, and then they say "Oh."

I've seen Aso play. He's ridiculous. He's so good he is essentially never targeted, and has given up less than 1 reception per game the past few years.

I completely disagreed with you first, and still haven't changed my mind. :P

Jets could get a competent #2 CB for much less who can accomplish the exact same thing. Spending $12M on Aso to blitz Revis once in a while is also ridiculous. Massive overkill.

If Rex has so much respect for the other teams' receivers, why doesn't he just spend less and acquire two great WR's for himself?

Yes, because Rex Ryan couldn't figure out how to mask coverages to make sure that didn't happen. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm not as high on Cromartie as some others. I remember seeing him victimized from time to time. He was good for us, but it wasn't like we had a special player out there. Aso would be that.

Last year against Oakland and the immortal Nnamdi Asomugha, Malcolm Floyd caught 8 balls for 213 yards and a score. It happens.

I've seen Aso play. He's ridiculous. He's so good he is essentially never targeted, and has given up less than 1 reception per game the past few years.

He's played on a crappy team, too. Never really been challenged by a team that had to beat him to win.

I completely disagreed with you first, and still haven't changed my mind. :P

Jets could get a competent #2 CB for much less who can accomplish the exact same thing. Spending $12M on Aso to blitz Revis once in a while is also ridiculous. Massive overkill.

If Rex has so much respect for the other teams' receivers, why doesn't he just spend less and acquire two great WR's for himself?

No, they can't.

What other available CB would you be comfortable leaving entirely 1 on 1 with most No. 2 WRs (no safety help, no bracket coverage, etc.)

Yes, yes they can.

Damn it, stupid talking football while at work.

Meant double covered 3rd, 4th and 5th reads, not 4th, 5th, and 6th. Adjust accordingly.

*grumbles*

And I was so hoping a let's see them cover Jumbo Elliot joke was forthcoming.

If the choice is really btw us and the 49ers I'm not sure how he doesn't wind up a Jet.

In SF you have a lame duck in Alex Smith playing the year out to get to this Kapernick (or whatever) character they drafted this year. The Niners have a ceiling of about 8 wins this year given the new coach and limited time he has to implement his plan. Then it's on to a rookie from a small college that won't be good for a couple years if at all.

Where is the glamor in that?

No, they can't.

What other available CB would you be comfortable leaving entirely 1 on 1 with most No. 2 WRs (no safety help, no bracket coverage, etc.)

Not to mention that having Aso gives you the flexibility of having Aso cover the #1 and Revis cover the #2. They wouldn't be locked into depending on Revis to take out the same guy all day.

Also, if a team didn't have a great #2, you could have Aso or Revis on the #1, Wilson on the #2 and Aso or Revis could play centerfield and make plays.

There are an insane amount of ways the Jets could mask coverages and confuse the sh*t out of CBs that they simply couldn't do with Revis and a solid #2 CB.

Why does everyone assume that aso or revis can't cover tight ends or rbs also? Everyone is saying those positions will kill us, but I keep thinking about playing the chargers in the playoffs and having revis on gates, lt, nanee, vjax, etc.

Imagine being able to do that all the time while still shutting down a #1.

No, they can't.

Chris Carr? Josh Wilson?

These are #2 WR's we're talking about here. A good starter can handle them, especially if we're sending 9 men in on a blitz. :lol:

you're right, the colts and pats will run regular offenses and throw in the towel. are you retarded ?

Lets go for it...

4 WR 1 TE

You could have...

Revis/Cro/Wilson/Lowery/Pool/Leonard

OR

Revis/Aso/Wilson/Lowery/Pool/Leonard

Who is the retard?

Archived