Why Asomugha Makes Sense

Doggin94it

Not a fan. Don't know how much money it will take to get him here, or how many balls will have to be thrown his way to keep him happy. I'll agree with anyone who says that if there's one guy who can keep him in line, it's Rex - I just don't know if even Rex is up to the task.

Plus with BE, you get a downfield threat and a willing blocker. A guy who's still in his prime, locking up the top two WR spots on your team along with your young QB for the next five years. That's invaluable, IMHO.

"overkill" on the WR's will come in at a cost of $5-6M less than overkill on the CB's. Plenty of money leftover to get a very good #2 CB.

I don't know if Braylon is going to come as cheap as you might think. I'd prefer Braylon, but I don't think he's going to be worth the money at this point. He saw the contract Santonio got which set the market value. He's going to try and get as much as he can and if he's not coming at a discount he's not worth it. JMO.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if Braylon is going to come as cheap as you might think. I'd prefer Braylon, but I don't think he's going to be worth the money at this point. He saw the contract Santonio got which set the market value. He's going to try and get as much as he can and if he's not coming at a discount he's not worth it. JMO.

He already said he'd come at a discount. How much do you think he'll cost? I'm not hearing people beating down his door on Twitter, and Twitter knows everything. Even if it's $8M/year (which I think is very high), it's still $3-4M less than Revis/Aso would combine for, and also less beneficial to the team as a whole. That $3-4(5-6?)M could buy a very good #2 CB.

He already said he'd come at a discount. How much do you think he'll cost? I'm not hearing people beating down his door on Twitter, and Twitter knows everything. Even if it's $8M/year (which I think is very high), it's still $3-4M less than Revis/Aso would combine for, and also less beneficial to the team as a whole. That $3-4(5-6?)M could buy a very good #2 CB.

No way the JETS spend 8 on braylon when moss/TO/plax are all sitting out there for less... not that I agree with that... I want Edwards back BAD

Look your argument makes sense, it's wonderful but the difference in opinion lies in the fact that Braylon isn't any sort of special talent. He's just a tall dude that blocks. If we're talking levels of player from JAG to Elite, he's smack in the middle and he wants near elite money. That would be his discount.

Look your argument makes sense, it's wonderful but the difference in opinion lies in the fact that Braylon isn't any sort of special talent. He's just a tall dude that blocks. If we're talking levels of player from JAG to Elite, he's smack in the middle and he wants near elite money. That would be his discount.

We don't know what kind of money he wants. He's been saying for months that he'd take a discount to stay here.

Also, I think Edwards is a very good WR. I wouldn't put him in the elite class, but he's a big target who averaged over 17 ypc on the receiving end of a QB who only manages 6.5 yards per throw. Definitely consider him to be a genuine asset.

I think he meant as a head coach. Come on man... guys been at it for two years and NO TROPH? LOL

Apparently he's going for the highly coveted Best CB Tandem Eva trophy. Never seen one, but I'm sure it's tres awesome.

We don't know what kind of money he wants. He's been saying for months that he'd take a discount to stay here.

Also, I think Edwards is a very good WR. I wouldn't put him in the elite class, but he's a big target who averaged over 17 ypc on the receiving end of a QB who only manages 6.5 yards per throw. Definitely consider him to be a genuine asset.

So thus the difference in opinion. I see Braylon as good. Not VERY good. And the money argument is pointless until we see what and who gets paid.

Only five teams in the NFL averaged more than 26 points per game last year. 26 PPG would make the Jets an elite scoring offense. Hell, at 22.9 they were in the top half of the league.

The Jets allowed 19 points per game last year.

Which would be easier to improve upon?

If adding Nnamdi helps drop that number to 15, which isn't unrealistic at all, and the Jets scored at around the same average they did last year, they will be looking at 13-14 wins.

Is that serious? You think it would be easier to improve on one of the best scoring defenses in the leauge than a decidedly average scoring offense?

The whole point of this argument is that as great as having Asomugha would be, the Jets defense is already get, so how much better can it get? The LB/safety coverage and pass rush issues won't be resolved by a #2 CB, so there will still be some plays let up, just like any defense. On the flip side, a further experienced QB already increases the odds of improving the Jets offense, giving him the best possible supporting cast will only improve that. Bottom line is the Jets defense over the past 2 seasons has been championship caliber, the offense not so much.

Agreed, but I'd also say the same about Edwards (whom I want re-signed).

Sanchez improving will have a bigger impact than re-signing Holmes or signing Aso.

Agreed, but the re-signing of players like Holmes and Edwards can have a direct impact on helping Sanchez improve. So considering Sanchez is the most important element to this team going forward, the plan should be to put emphasis on putting him in the best position to succeed as opposed to upgrading the #2 CB on one of the leagues best defenses.

Agreed, but the re-signing of players like Holmes and Edwards can have a direct impact on helping Sanchez improve. So considering Sanchez is the most important element to this team going forward, the plan should be to put emphasis on putting him in the best position to succeed as opposed to upgrading the #2 CB on one of the leagues best defenses.

Have no idea why this is so difficult to understand. You trade up and invest $50M in a young QB, it's a complete and total no brainer to give him everything he needs to succeed, and then some. You don't bring back Chansi Stuckey, that's for sure.

Have no idea why this is so difficult to understand. You trade up and invest $50M in a young QB, it's a complete and total no brainer to give him everything he needs to succeed, and then some. You don't bring back Chansi Stuckey, that's for sure.

killer running game. killer oline.holmes. cotch. keller. lt. possibly a few up and comers.and another receiver will make all the difference? you are making it very difficult to understand

At some point- that investment needs to be able to work with what he has.

At some point- that investment needs to be able to work with what he has.

Rex said they are going to cut him loose this season... remember it wasn't long ago he had a color coded offense... year 3 will be the breakout year... WITH EDWARDS...

Like a great defense?

Rex said they are going to cut him loose this season... remember it wasn't long ago he had a color coded offense... year 3 will be the breakout year... WITH EDWARDS...

I'd like to believe so, but it seems highly unlikely he's back.

Is that serious? You think it would be easier to improve on one of the best scoring defenses in the leauge than a decidedly average scoring offense?

The whole point of this argument is that as great as having Asomugha would be, the Jets defense is already get, so how much better can it get? The LB/safety coverage and pass rush issues won't be resolved by a #2 CB, so there will still be some plays let up, just like any defense. On the flip side, a further experienced QB already increases the odds of improving the Jets offense, giving him the best possible supporting cast will only improve that. Bottom line is the Jets defense over the past 2 seasons has been championship caliber, the offense not so much.

You know what's funny? Our defense allowed 4.2 points less per game in 2009 than it did in 2010. I am simply suggesting an improvement of 4 PPG.

You guys don't think that's possible. Weird.

You know what's funny? Our defense allowed 4.2 points less per game in 2009 than it did in 2010. I am simply suggesting an improvement of 4 PPG.

You guys don't think that's possible. Weird.

The pass defense was also significantly better in 2009 than 2010. Do you think the Jets should just forget both Cromartie and Asomugha and bring back Lito Sheppard?

It's not whether it's possible, it's whether one guy who will spend the season defending #2 WRs is as going to have as big of an impact on this team's success as another receiving option for our franchise QB with our inconsistent offense, PLUS another handful of veteran players that could be brought in with the difference in salary between the two.

The pass defense was also significantly better in 2009 than 2010. Do you think the Jets should just forget both Cromartie and Asomugha and bring back Lito Sheppard?

It's not whether it's possible, it's whether one guy who will spend the season defending #2 WRs is as going to have as big of an impact on this team's success as another receiving option for our franchise QB with our inconsistent offense, PLUS another handful of veteran players that could be brought in with the difference in salary between the two.

That's your argument for not wanted to improve our passing D as much as possible?

Archived