"The sky is falling" thread

Jetsfan80

Can someone explain to me exactly what we've lost by failing to acquire Nnamdi Asomugha, whom about 75 % of the board never really felt we were actually going to be able to sign anyways?

Since failing to obtain Aso, we've lost the following players:

Brad Smith

Ben Hartsock

Steve Weatherford

Drew Coleman

Vernon Gholston

Were any of the above players keys to our title run? In my mind these are the definition of JAG players. Easily replaceable. In fact, we've already filled one of those losses (Coleman) by bringing back Donald Strickland.

In the meantime, the following targets/potential targets are still on the market, unsigned by anyone else:

Antonio Cromartie

Braylon Edwards

James Jones

Randy Moss

Ronnie Brown

Chris Carr

Malcolm Floyd

Plaxico Burress

Shaun Ellis

Phillip Buchanon

Not to mention other players who haven't been mentioned yet that may be on our radar, such as Asante Samuel or maybe even Cullen Jenkins.

So who, exactly, have we missed out on other than Asomugha himself? What prized free agents did we d*** ourselves out of? Do you really think Cromartie is so offended by our pursuit of the # 1b corner in the league that he wouldn't consider returning? Who's breaking down the door to steal Braylon from us?

Let's remember that we never thought we'd have all this Pro Bowl talent on our roster to begin with. Its a GOOD problem to have, having so much talent to have to re-sign or replace.

And when all is said and done, we might end up MORE satisfied with our roster than we'd have believed. Maybe failing to get Aso is a good move. There are bound to be a LOT of injuries in the NFL this year, so signing guys on the cheap for depth purposes may be a better strategy than just going after superstars (not that I'm going to complain about Tannenbaum locking up Holmes longterm).

Anyways, end of rant. Commence your whining here.

Disney-Chicken-Little-Sky-Falling.jpg

I think its more of just being impatient. You listed some good players there that are still available but I think ppl wanna see them make a move before more of those guys get signed. It just seems from the outside like were doing nothing when in reality im SURE Tanny is working his a$$ off to get some moves done.

Losing out on Nnamdi and losing those players isn't my issue with the front office. My problem is that if you want Nnamdi that's fine but the second he is signing a contract elsewhere, you need to have plan B rolling out. Turner and E. Smith is not plan B. Plan be is a competent #2 corner, a stretch the field #2 wide receiver, a decent playmaker at safety. There just so many holes and not enough is being done to fill them.

Losing out on Nnamdi and losing those players isn't my issue with the front office. My problem is that if you want Nnamdi that's fine but the second he is signing a contract elsewhere, you need to have plan B rolling out. Turner and E. Smith is not plan B. Plan be is a competent #2 corner, a stretch the field #2 wide receiver, a decent playmaker at safety. There just so many holes and not enough is being done to fill them.

So basically what we would do is make a deal with a #2 corner and a #2 receiver, then keep them in a locked box somewhere... go and pursue Nnamdi. If Nnamdi says yes, we let the corner and the receiver out alive. If he doesn't we come back and force them to sign our pre-determined deal without speaking to any other teams?

Good plan. How are you not a GM yet?

Last I checked, we've been working hard on our plan B. To date, we've contacted every one of the "target" players I listed above, even as we were negotiating with Aso. Its tough to have patience as we enter August, but every other team in the league is in the same boat; negotiating.

As far as we know...and thats the problem. If those free agents tht were listed were flying off the shelves and getting signed then I would think the sky really is falling but it seems kinda stagnant right now. Soon as players start disappearing off that list theres gonna be more panic.

I think they missed out on a few CB/S's that I would've preferred to see them go after instead of Nnamdi, Maybe woulda made a play at Kiwanuka, but I agree with your overall premise. The Jets were always in a position to be downgrading this year with Holmes, Cro, and Edwards all looking to get the big money. There was no way everyone was gonna be happy, because there was no way all of those guys were going to get resigned. Even if they miraculously could be, they'd still lose players somewhere else to pay for them.

I think their pursuit of Aso was foolhardy, but it's something they can still recover from. I think that's why you're seeing these Burress/Strickland type moves now. Cheap guys who should be able to contribute.

I think they missed out on a few CB/S's that I would've preferred to see them go after instead of Nnamdi, Maybe woulda made a play at Kiwanuka, but I agree with your overall premise. The Jets were always in a position to be downgrading this year with Holmes, Cro, and Edwards all looking to get the big money. There was no way everyone was gonna be happy, because there was no way all of those guys were going to get resigned. Even if they miraculously could be, they'd still lose players somewhere else to pay for them.

I think their pursuit of Aso was foolhardy, but it's something they can still recover from. I think that's why you're seeing these Burress/Strickland type moves now. Cheap guys who should be able to contribute.

The thing is though, as soon as they were offering Aso so much money they gave us the belief that it WAS possible to keep all 3 of those guys happy they just didnt want to and thats what people disagree with.

The Eagles are already calling themselves the Dream Team while we stand around with our figurative dicks in our hands.

adding insult to injury: RT @AdamSchefter Eagles already are referring to themselves as "The Dream Team".

Cheap guys fine less talented guys not so fine. We arent gonna win a Super Bowl unless we improve staying the same or equal isnt gonna do it.

The Eagles are already calling themselves the Dream Team while we stand around with our figurative dicks in our hands.

LOL. When Michael Vick gets hurt in week 5 and they find themselves with Vince Young at QB they'll be singing a drastically different tune.

The thing is though, as soon as they were offering Aso so much money they gave us the belief that it WAS possible to keep all 3 of those guys happy they just didnt want to and thats what people disagree with.

I think we're operating under the delusion that Cro + Braylon < Aso money. It always was going to be difficult to keep both after signing Holmes, even with all the restructuring.

Not to mention the fact that Aso's agent represents all 3 players. That doesn't help matters.

So basically what we would do is make a deal with a #2 corner and a #2 receiver, then keep them in a locked box somewhere... go and pursue Nnamdi. If Nnamdi says yes, we let the corner and the receiver out alive. If he doesn't we come back and force them to sign our pre-determined deal without speaking to any other teams?

Good plan. How are you not a GM yet?

No. What you do is not alienate EVERYONE else by putting all of your eggs in one basket. Look what the Texans did. They got a very good corner and safety after not wanting to wait on Nnamdi. The Jets bungled this from the start.

No. What you do is not alienate EVERYONE else by putting all of your eggs in one basket. Look what the Texans did. They got a very good corner and safety after not wanting to wait on Nnamdi. The Jets bungled this from the start.

I think the Jets front office deserves the benefit of the doubt until our other targets start signing elsewhere. The Texans are just trying to make the playoffs for the first time in their franchise history. They've ALWAYS been paper champions.

I think we're operating under the delusion that Cro + Braylon < Aso money. It always was going to be difficult to keep both after signing Holmes, even with all the restructuring.

Not to mention the fact that Aso's agent represents all 3 players. That doesn't help matters.

Yeah youre right, I am assuming that and its probably incorrect. I just dont know what Braylon is thinking if he really does want like 8+ mil cause I'll be surprised if he gets that. Still hoping options start running out and we get him a little cheaper.

When do most of these signings have to be done by the way? Is there a real deadline?

Asos agent is like a used car salesman. If you cant make a deal with him on a specific car because you cant afford it, theres no reason not to look at another car on the lot.

I think the Jets front office deserves the benefit of the doubt until our other targets start signing elsewhere. The Texans are just trying to make the playoffs for the first time in their franchise history. They've ALWAYS been paper champions.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt too but this offseason is about a week long and then boom training camps start. It's very truncated and you need to get players in as soon as you can to familiarize themselves with the way things work. The Jets still have glaring holes that have yet to be filled and trying to get Nnamdi set negotiations back with everyone else it seems.

Yeah youre right, I am assuming that and its probably incorrect. I just dont know what Braylon is thinking if he really does want like 8+ mil cause I'll be surprised if he gets that. Still hoping options start running out and we get him a little cheaper.

When do most of these signings have to be done by the way? Is there a real deadline?

Nope, no deadline. But remember, the league year starts August 2nd, so teams need to be UNDER THE CAP by that time, if I recall correctly. So teams will probably want to get all their major signings done by Monday so they can make their final cuts/restructures to get under the cap.

Going after Nnamdi was an a$$hole move, and doing it so publicly made it worse - but even if they cleared $12M/yr for him, I don't think that's enough to sign both Edwards and Cro. Do you? If it is, we might still see one of them back.

Cheap guys fine less talented guys not so fine. We arent gonna win a Super Bowl unless we improve staying the same or equal isnt gonna do it.

They can only shop for what's available.

Everyone has said (and every one of them was right) that the key to the Jets moving forward is Mark Sanchez. He needs to get better. I was screaming for Braylon over Nnamdi for exactly that reason. But if Braylon's not coming back, then Sanchez still needs to get better to get this team to the next level. Santonio Holmes coming back is a good start. I like Keller more than most. I think Jerricho can contribute. They loved Kerley in the draft. Whatever, it all comes down to Sanchez.

In the meantime, I think they can find adequate CB help cheap. And adding a safety or two wouldn't hurt, either.

Nope, no deadline. But remember, the league year starts August 2nd, so teams need to be UNDER THE CAP by that time, if I recall correctly. So teams will probably want to get all their major signings done by Monday so they can make their final cuts/restructures to get under the cap.

K so at least we'll know soon. Tonight and tomorrow will be busy days then!

I think you're right ... thye deserve the benefit of the doubt until all the pieces are in place.

But if it's true that they're not interested in bringing Edwards back, I'm not sure I understand that particular move.

We'll see what happens.

Bullsh*t. They have roughly ten days to put together a championship roster and they just wasted three of them getting sodomized by a player that they didn't even need. Now they're in a position where they have to crawl back to Antonio Cromartie and pray he takes $9 mil per from them, all the while sifting through a group of of misfit toy FA's whose value has been artificially inflated by bad teams giving decent players superstar money. Good luck.

Going after Nnamdi was an a$$hole move, and doing it so publicly made it worse - but even if they cleared $12M/yr for him, I don't think that's enough to sign both Edwards and Cro. Do you? If it is, we might still see one of them back.

Maybe Edwards but Cro is probably being a dick right now and rightfully so IMO. It is a little annoying that the Eagles kept things so quiet and we had to be so out there about it for everyone to know but thats the Jets now and 99% of the time I like that. This time it kinda ****ed us.

Archived