Plaxico Burress will sign with the N.Y. Jets

F.Chowds

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One year rental. We are looking to win now.

I get all that. But will the one year rental have any explosiveness on the football field. Or will it take him to more that to get his football speed.

Vick was not explosive this his 2nd season.

So the one year rental might just end up being a one year rehab assignment for which he gets paid 3 mill!

Which one of those guys stretches the sidelines of the field for Holmes to go over the middle?

Perhaps none of them. We'll find out in time... we might see a lot more quick slants and stretch plays with Tom Moore's influence. The Sanchez to Braylon sloppy bombs were nice, but often those failed attempts led to 3 and outs.

Honestly we should be running the WCO the way it was implemented for Steve Young back in the day, but that's a whole other debate...

I get all that. But will the one year rental have any explosiveness on the football field. Or will it take him to more that to get his football speed.

Vick was not explosive this his 2nd season.

So the one year rental might just end up being a one year rehab assignment for which he gets paid 3 mill!

3 million dollar for 1 year of Plaxico busting his a$$ to earn what will be the final contract of his career... is much better than a 5 year, $40-50 million contract for someone like Braylon or James Jones. Extend David Harris now.

Come next year, we will have 90% of this team locked up on cap-friendly contracts, and will be able to target a stud in FA to replace Plaxico. THAT is what this whole move is about.

Buress deal was “all about Rex”

Posted by Mike Florio on July 31, 2011, 10:08 AM EDT

AP

So what distinguished the Jets from the Steelers, Giants, and 49ers when it came to wooing Plaxico Burress?

None of the other teams had Rex Ryan.

Per a source with knowledge of the process, it was “all about Rex” for Plaxico. Though it didn’t hurt that the one-year, $3 million guaranteed contract also represented the best financial package placed on the table, it was the total package and Ryan’s presence — and pitch — got it done.

Ryan sold Burress on the coach’s belief that Plaxico can get them over the top, just as he helped get the Giants over the top four years ago with the Giants.

Though we’d previously believed the Giants were possibly kicking tires on Burress to protect themselves against criticism if he went to a team like the Jets or Eagles and became a star again, we’re told that the Giants were indeed serious.

But not as serious as the Jets.

In the end, it turns out that Burress was accurate in his assessment of his priorities earlier this month, when talking with our friends Adam Schein and Rich Gannon of SiriusXM NFL Radio.

“Well, the head coach is going to be first and foremost,” Burress said. “It’s going to be somebody to where, well, you know, he has an open door policy, I can walk in his office and sit down and talk to him whether it’s about football or life or whatever that may be. Then, of course, second, it’s going to be a quarterback. I’m a wide receiver. I mean, that’s a no brainer. I’m not going to sit here and say it’s not. And surround myself with guys that are hungry and guys that know how to play and want to win.”

The Jets have everything that Burress was looking for. And they think he gives them what they need to get what they’ve been striving for.

So instead of a formidable one-two punch at cornerback with Darrelle Revis and Nnamdi Asomugha, the Jets will unleash a potent combination of Burress and Santonio Holmes, six weeks from tonight on NBC.

Buress deal was “all about Rex”

Posted by Mike Florio on July 31, 2011, 10:08 AM EDT

AP

So what distinguished the Jets from the Steelers, Giants, and 49ers when it came to wooing Plaxico Burress?

None of the other teams had Rex Ryan.

Per a source with knowledge of the process, it was “all about Rex” for Plaxico. Though it didn’t hurt that the one-year, $3 million guaranteed contract also represented the best financial package placed on the table, it was the total package and Ryan’s presence — and pitch — got it done.

Ryan sold Burress on the coach’s belief that Plaxico can get them over the top, just as he helped get the Giants over the top four years ago with the Giants.

Though we’d previously believed the Giants were possibly kicking tires on Burress to protect themselves against criticism if he went to a team like the Jets or Eagles and became a star again, we’re told that the Giants were indeed serious.

But not as serious as the Jets.

In the end, it turns out that Burress was accurate in his assessment of his priorities earlier this month, when talking with our friends Adam Schein and Rich Gannon of SiriusXM NFL Radio.

“Well, the head coach is going to be first and foremost,” Burress said. “It’s going to be somebody to where, well, you know, he has an open door policy, I can walk in his office and sit down and talk to him whether it’s about football or life or whatever that may be. Then, of course, second, it’s going to be a quarterback. I’m a wide receiver. I mean, that’s a no brainer. I’m not going to sit here and say it’s not. And surround myself with guys that are hungry and guys that know how to play and want to win.”

The Jets have everything that Burress was looking for. And they think he gives them what they need to get what they’ve been striving for.

So instead of a formidable one-two punch at cornerback with Darrelle Revis and Nnamdi Asomugha, the Jets will unleash a potent combination of Burress and Santonio Holmes, six weeks from tonight on NBC.

There it is folks, Sanchez>>>Rapelisberger and Eli

Interesting that they would choose Plax over Braylon. There must be something they know than we don't. Either way, we have a big receiver who is good in the red zone. Perhaps Braylon priced himself out of the market..........or he will spend the first 4 games suspended. I like the Heap idea.

This may sound odd. But he's been in jail doing nothing but working out for 18 months. He halos hasn't taken a real hit in over 2 years, which means no wear and tear. If he goes straight to camp and keeps on the stright and narrow we have potentially a very good WR who figures to be motivated for a long term deal in 2012, whether here or elsewhere. Add in Heap the offense is going to be very good.

Wish Braylon well. THink he is a bit dopey, but not a bad guy. But he is also staring at least at a 4 game suspension.

This is the best case scenario. Plax is a vet who knows how to play football. He used to play Sundays for the Giants without practicing all week, anyway. He probably had little else to do in prison but work out, so he should be in very good physical shape. He has six weeks to get in football shape before the opener.

I can't hate this move.

Can't say I'm in love with it, either :lol: but I can't hate it.

Why? Jones is good young wr who has upside. Plax is old and has not played football in 2 years. we can only hope he is 75% as good as he was with the giants.

Jones was the last guy I wanted. If he's still searching for his potential after a few years of having Aaron Rogers throw to him, how quickly was he gonna find it with Mark Sanchez throwing to him? Pass, in a big way.

Interesting that they would choose Plax over Braylon. There must be something they know than we don't. Either way, we have a big receiver who is good in the red zone. Perhaps Braylon priced himself out of the market..........or he will spend the first 4 games suspended. I like the Heap idea.

How is that any different from Santonio last season though?

I've said it already, but this move is all about managing the cap for future seasons. A contract like this allows the Jets to now start talking with David Harris about an extension, possibly Cromartie - its all about next years cap.

It doesn't hurt that Plaxico at 80% is going to out-produce Braylon's numbers from this past season. All the WRs on teh market rigth now are asking for very costly deals, do you really want the Jets tied to Braylon, James Jones, Malcolm Floyd or any of these other bums for 4-5 years?

I like that we'll be able to go out and get ourselves the WR of our liking next year. Meanwhile, Plax is playing for the last long-term contract of his career... you thinks he's going to punk out? No way.

Not really. This is about a 1 year deal. Edwards woulfd have been at least 3 if not more. This was a no brainer. If Plax performs and is a good citizen then you might extend him. If not he goes bye bye. Plax had a lot of time to reflect. Hopefully he comes out of this a better man. He has a lot to prove to himself, the Jets, the fans and the NFL world.

How is that any different from Santonio last season though?

I'm hoping Jets fans don't turn on Braylon and forget that he busted his a$$ for this team last season, and it sucks that Tannenbaum and Rex are treating him like a leper, but Plaxico might be a better fit here at the end of the day. I can't remember what corner it was a few years ago, but they asked him which receiver he hated covering the most. He said it was Plaxico because "he can go past you, through you and over you" on every play. Pretty cool player to have.

Let Braylon go sign a one-year deal with the Pats, put up 80/1,200/13 and then he'll get paid.

I'm hoping Jets fans don't turn on Braylon and forget that he busted his a$$ for this team last season, and it sucks that Tannenbaum and Rex are treating him like a leper, but Plaxico might be a better fit here at the end of the day. I can't remember what corner it was a few years ago, but they asked him which receiver he hated covering the most. He said it was Plaxico because "he can go past you, through you and over you" on every play. Pretty cool player to have.

Let Braylon go sign a one-year deal with the Pats, put up 80/1,200/13 and then he'll get paid.

That was 3 years ago Plaxico though. Let's hope for our sake he's still the same player. I'll see how I feel about this move after a couple of preseason games.

Archived