Osi Available (For 2nd Round Pick?) - MERGED

visajets

Why is the 4-3/3-4 thing such a big deal? This D Uses plenty of both.

Exactly Rex uses so many defensive schemes you cant keep track of what the hell they are lining up in.

Bottom line the NYJETS need a legitimate pass rusher, like it or not.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just used to it considering some people I work with like to harp on every spelling mistake I make. It rubs off. :P

Anywho.

Inquiring about it wouldn't hurt.

But let's say he wants to get traded to the Jets. Doesn't he have the right to refuse the trade if we don't give him a new contract?

Wasn't the whole reason Orton wasn't traded to the Phins is cause he wanted to get paid more then the Phins offered?

I'm just thinking ahead.

Technically, he can't refuse a trade if the Giants are happy with what they're getting in return.

But to your point, he could refuse to play, which would have the same effect.

But let me ask you this.

Put yourself in his position ...

You're under contract for 2 more seasons making $3M this year, and 4M next year, at which point in 2013 you can walk as a UFA at the age of 32.

The Jets (or any other team for that matter) come to you and say, listen we understand you're not happy and you want $10M a year, but the bottom line is you're under contract. The Giants are not gonna pay you an extra cent but we'll double both years if you come with us, $6M this year and $8M next year.

Otherwise, you potentially sit for 2 years ... make nothing, and then get what you would get anyway in 2013 if you came with us and made double over the next two years.

If you were Osi, would you consider that?

Not saying he'd take it, but if he or his agent was a smart businessman, they might.

Technically, he can't refuse a trade if the Giants are happy with what they're getting in return.

He can't refuse the trade, but he can easily keep it from happening. Osi is clearly unhappy with his contract and has no intentions of playing under it. Given that, no team is going to agree to a trade with the Giants without first agreeing to terms of a new contract with Osi. If he refuses to accept what they offer him, then the trade is dead, because no team will ever sign off on giving anything to the Giants if they're not even sure they'll have a player who will show up.

While there might be some middle ground, the reality is he's looking for a big contract and the Giants are looking for a big bounty, and the Jets giving up either, and especially both, doesn't make a lot of sense for a guy who simply can't be an every down player for them. Consider that if Osi is willing to play for a middle of the road contract like you mentioned and nobody is offering the Giants the high pick they want, why wouldn't they just come to that same agreement with him themselves? To think the Jets can get away with giving both sides far less than what they really want in return and them being ok with it is simply unrealistic. Bottom line, there's way too many factors that make the cost way too high for what the Jets would be using Osi for.

**** that, a 3rd maybe but he's going to want way to much money this is his last pay day.

I disagree. Hes going want at least what hes making maybe add a year to the contract or load it up with incentives. GIANTS fans are telling me hes wanted out of the GIANTS organization for awhile. Its time to get our premier pass rusher.

He can't refuse the trade, but he can easily keep it from happening. Osi is clearly unhappy with his contract and has no intentions of playing under it. Given that, no team is going to agree to a trade with the Giants without first agreeing to terms of a new contract with Osi. If he refuses to accept what they offer him, then the trade is dead, because no team will ever sign off on giving anything to the Giants if they're not even sure they'll have a player who will show up.

While there might be some middle ground, the reality is he's looking for a big contract and the Giants are looking for a big bounty, and the Jets giving up either, and especially both, doesn't make a lot of sense for a guy who simply can't be an every down player for them. Consider that if Osi is willing to play for a middle of the road contract like you mentioned and nobody is offering the Giants the high pick they want, why wouldn't they just come to that same agreement with him themselves? To think the Jets can get away with giving both sides far less than what they really want in return and them being ok with it is simply unrealistic. Bottom line, there's way too many factors that make the cost way too high for what the Jets would be using Osi for.

I thought that is exactly what I said.

With regards to your second paragraph, the Giants have made it clear they are not paying him another cent. The reality is that they're fed up with Osi and it goes beyond his contract. His attitude has sucked over the past two years and Coughlin and Reece have had it with him.

Now how much it will take for anyone to pry him from the Giants still remains to be seen, but I would be shocked if it were a first round draft choice.

I would also be surprised if Osi is playing for anything more than $5M or $6M this year when it's all said and done.

And no one will ever convince me that the best defensive mind in football couldn't figure out a way to utilize this guy's talents on more than just 3rd down passing situations if he were a Jet.

That said, I do not think it will happen, but you can bet Tannenbaum will be asking if he hasn't already.

I thought that is exactly what I said.

With regards to your second paragraph, the Giants have made it clear they are not paying him another cent. The reality is that they're fed up with Osi and it goes beyond his contract. His attitude has sucked over the past two years and Coughlin and Reece have had it with him.

Now how much it will take for anyone to pry him from the Giants still remains to be seen, but I would be shocked if it were a first round draft choice.

I would also be surprised if Osi is playing for anything more than $5M or $6M this year when it's all said and done.

And no one will ever convince me that the best defensive mind in football couldn't figure out a way to utilize this guy's talents on more than just 3rd down passing situations if he were a Jet.

That said, I do not think it will happen, but you can bet Tannenbaum will be asking if he hasn't already.

Considering Osi is still under contract, the Giants have all the leverage. He can sit out the whole year and it'll continue to hurt his value. I'm sure the Giants are gonna wait and see if anyone is really willing to give up that 1st for him. If not, he'll cave just like Vincent Jackson has. Osi should just shut up and play to keep his value high.

Considering Osi is still under contract, the Giants have all the leverage. He can sit out the whole year and it'll continue to hurt his value. I'm sure the Giants are gonna wait and see if anyone is really willing to give up that 1st for him. If not, he'll cave just like Vincent Jackson has. Osi should just shut up and play to keep his value high.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, they'll wait it out and see what the best deal they can get is, no question. As you said, the Giants have the leverage.

But I really believe the Giants want him gone as much as he wants to be gone, so in the end it'll probably happen. The Giants will take the best deal (even if it isn't a #1) because at the end of the day, it's still a business and you do what's in the best interest of your team. And taking a vindictive attitude with a 30 year old DE and making him sit for 2 years is not in the best interest of your team, especially when you don't want him anyway.

Eventually he'll be gone. It'll be interesting to see where he goes and what the Giants get for him.

Imagine that cold crisp day in Pittsburgh if we had a legit pass rush that could have put Big Ben on his a$$, where we might be today.

What about using Osi as a OLB,ILB,DT,NT prototype stealth defensive player the possibilities are endless!

I'm sure they have. I think there were reports that they inquired about him last year around the draft when everybody said he was getting shopped.

Rex has to be salivating over the possibility of acquiring a pass rusher like Osi.

Imagine that cold crisp day in Pittsburgh if we had a legit pass rush that could have put Big Ben on his a$$, where we might be today.

What about using Osi as a OLB,ILB,DT,NT prototype stealth defensive player the possibilities are endless!

Just think, we could finally have that pass rushing best of an nt this defense needs to be truly great

Just think, we could finally have that pass rushing best of an nt this defense needs to be truly great

Do you fully understand the game of football? Have you ever watched a Rex Ryan defense attack an opposing offense? I truthfuly believe you are arguing this just for the mere sake of arguing. If only you wold "just think" before you post. :angry:

Tell me honestly if you believe Rex wouldnt make Osi work here.

He won a Super Bowl as DL coach for the Ravens, and his D has had success wherever he's gone. Quit with the constant slaps at Rex.

Eric Mangini has three rings.

Rings as an assistant mean nothing.

Rex hasn't won squat other than maybe an occasional hot dog eating contest.

Eric Mangini has three rings.

Rings as an assistant mean nothing.

Rex hasn't won squat other than maybe an occasional hot dog eating contest.

This is true. He hasn't won the big one as a head coach .... yet.

But the man has taken a team to the AFC Championship in his first 2 years as a head coach ... and with a rookie QB to boot.

Not too many others can say they've done that, so let's give the man his props.

This is true. He hasn't won the big one as a head coach .... yet.

But the man has taken a team to the AFC Championship in his first 2 years as a head coach ... and with a rookie QB to boot.

Not too many others can say they've done that, so let's give the man his props.

Yeah, you're right.

That's good enough.

Do you fully understand the game of football? Have you ever watched a Rex Ryan defense attack an opposing offense? I truthfuly believe you are arguing this just for the mere sake of arguing. If only you wold "just think" before you post. :angry:

Tell me honestly if you believe Rex wouldnt make Osi work here.

As much as I HATE disagreeing with you I think Doggin's got a point.

LOL. Another good one.

Hot dog eating contests, huh? Cute.

What are you, 12 years old?

The Ignore List just got "Plus Oned".

Absolutely, you're right.

I'll probably never coach an AFC Championship losing team. Certainly not twice.

As a Jets fan, whatever Rex Ryan says or does is good enough for me.

Archived