All things Cotchery

MarylandJetsFan

Holmes is the obvious one, we had to sign him. I'd take him over Edwards every day of the week and I expect him to be our main guy for 5+ years. Keller is garbage.

Greene is not a pass catching RB and LT is probably going to drop production wise and won't see the field as often. Not saying he's done but to expect him to be what he was last season isn't wise.

Kerley is promising as a slot guy, fact remains that we're heading into THIS season with two WR's over 34 at #2 and #3, the younger of which just got out of prison and hasn't played in 2 years. It's ridiculous to assume there won't be a major drop off with one if not both. So that's what Sanchez has to work with, in this our Superbowl season to be. ****ing incredible.

While I agree with your concerns on Burress, but with Cotchery, between injuries and just downright crap play, it actually WOULD be ridiculous to assume a major drop off of play from him to Mason. Not to say a healthy Cotchery wouldn't be better this year, but that's not what the Jets had last year. Frankly, I'm not sure even Kerley wouldn't be an upgrade over the mess that Cotch was last year. Don't get me wrong, I don't really love the move either, but the more you read and see that the guy clearly wanted out, the Jets made the only move that made any sense.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I agree with your concerns on Burress, but with Cotchery, between injuries and just downright crap play, it actually WOULD be ridiculous to assume a major drop off of play from him to Mason. Not to say a healthy Cotchery wouldn't be better this year, but that's not what the Jets had last year. Frankly, I'm not sure even Kerley wouldn't be an upgrade over the mess that Cotch was last year. Don't get me wrong, I don't really love the move either, but the more you read and see that the guy clearly wanted out, the Jets made the only move that made any sense.

You don't think that his crap play and injuries were linked at all? Guy was making play after play in the postseason too. He showed he still has it. That's his only really poor season after years of being a consistently good #2? I bet he will. I just hope it isn't with the Patriots. At 29, I bet he will bounce back, I just hope it's somewhere outside of the AFC East.

Mason is 37. Thirty ****ing seven. How many WR's in the history of the game have managed to maintain production at that age?

You don't think that his crap play and injuries were linked at all? Guy was making play after play in the postseason too. He showed he still has it. That's his only really poor season after years of being a consistently good #2? I bet he will. I just hope it isn't with the Patriots. At 29, I bet he will bounce back, I just hope it's somewhere outside of the AFC East.

Mason is 37. Thirty ****ing seven. How many WR's in the history of the game have managed to maintain production at that age?

Of course they were linked, but regardless that's still how he played last year, and that's the point of comparison for measuring if Mason's play is a downgrade from last year for the Jets. I'm not saying I'm thrilled with this WR corps, because I'm not, but if Burress works out for the team, I'd be absolutely shocked if any of the players behind him turned out to be any sort of detriment to the team.

With decent but mediocre players like Cotchery people conveniently point to a couple of plays made and ignore the plays not made. Or is the theory now that no one could get as open as Cotchery, no one could catch 98% of the passes he caught, and no one could outrun receivers for long TD's like him?

The Jets have 2 WR's under contract for 2011.

They felt they needed a quicker slot receiver and are/were looking for one.

Cotchery sees this and realizes there's a good chance he's going to be the odd man out in football distribution.

Jets want to keep him but on their terms, meaning they'll probably give him the Clemens treatment in 4 weeks.

Cotchery may be delusional about his ability and worth, as a great many players are, but he & his agent are not complete imbeciles. He requests to be released.

Jets comply with his request.

So if the Jets release him as he requested they're dicks.

If they keep him against his wishes and ask him to take a paycut befitting a 4th WR (which is what he'd be this year) they're dicks.

Basically, the Jets are dicks no matter what they did with Cotchery, short of injecting him with a full cycle of More Talent Serum and then making him a pro bowl starter.

You can't have a 4th WR with $4M cap hits in back-to-back seasons.

Of course they were linked, but regardless that's still how he played last year, and that's the point of comparison for measuring if Mason's play is a downgrade from last year for the Jets. I'm not saying I'm thrilled with this WR corps, because I'm not, but if Burress works out for the team, I'd be absolutely shocked if any of the players behind him turned out to be any sort of detriment to the team.

Why does the point of comparison begin and end with last season? Do we forget the years of consistent production when he was healthy?

Derrick Mason was drafted by the mother****ing Tennessee Oilers!

I didn't hate the Burress move, mostly because I though we had some nice insurance in Jericho Cotchery. Oh joy...

Why does the point of comparison begin and end with last season? Do we forget the years of consistent production when he was healthy?

Derrick Mason was drafted by the mother****ing Tennessee Oilers!

I didn't hate the Burress move, mostly because I though we had some nice insurance in Jericho Cotchery. Oh joy...

Assuming they sign Mason, the Jets have 3 #1 WR's, who've all gone for over 1000yrds in a season and 2 of them have caught game winning SB TD's.

What team in the league can say that?

If it was last year you'd say the same thing and say he's 36. Thirty ****ing six. Meanwhile he's sought to replace Cotchery, not Edwards. Though as big of a target as Edwards was they ended up with the same # of TD's while Mason was thirty-****ing six.

As much as you (or I) may want Cotchery to be a better slot receiver, he just isn't.

http://profootballta...de-in-february/

Cotchery asked for a trade in February. The guy wanted out. Rex tried to convince him to stay. Sounds like Cotchery would rather start and get more balls thrown his way than play a role on a potential Jets championship team.

Can't blame him. Jets wanted him to play out his deal as a #3, he wants to start. This is his livelihood. He's 29 years old, there's not a lot of time left for him to get his last decent contract. Being tied up until he was 31 in a complimentary role wasn't going to help him get paid.

Holmes is the obvious one, we had to sign him. I'd take him over Edwards every day of the week and I expect him to be our main guy for 5+ years. Keller is garbage.

Greene is not a pass catching RB and LT is probably going to drop production wise and won't see the field as often. Not saying he's done but to expect him to be what he was last season isn't wise.

Kerley is promising as a slot guy, fact remains that we're heading into THIS season with two WR's over 34 at #2 and #3, the younger of which just got out of prison and hasn't played in 2 years. It's ridiculous to assume there won't be a major drop off with one if not both. So that's what Sanchez has to work with, in this our Superbowl season to be. ****ing incredible.

Please refrain from listing Greene when mentioning pass catchers. Thank you.

If the negativity hadn't gotten so out of hand, I'd jump all over Greene as a pass catcher, too. Fact is, he caught more passes last year than I expected him to over his entire career - so obviously they're working on it.

I expect Holmes to have something along the lines of an 80 catch season (up from 53 in 12 games last year). I expect Keller to pick up some slack with the loss of Edwards as well. and If he doesn't, that should mean that there is no slack because Plaxico is doing his job just fine. Cotchery caught 40 passes last year at a rate of 10.6 ypc. No reason mason can't do that and more. He's not the future, but he should be able to do that for one year. If not, Kerley looks like a reasonable option.

If LT isn't catching 50 passes this year, it's probably because Greene or Joe McKnight have ramped up their production.

Short term, looking just at this year, it's not such a terrible position. By 2012, Kerley should be the slot guy and McKnight should've take over LT's role. There's always turnover mixed with some continuity.

Assuming they sign Mason, the Jets have 3 #1 WR's, who've all gone for over 1000yrds in a season and 2 of them have caught game winning SB TD's.

What team in the league can say that?

How many can say that they're #2 and #3 WR's are a combined 71 years and, 2 of which one spent in jail?

You can cover this turd in chocolate wrapping, I'm still not eating it.

If it was last year you'd say the same thing and say he's 36. Thirty ****ing six. Meanwhile he's sought to replace Cotchery, not Edwards. Though as big of a target as Edwards was they ended up with the same # of TD's while Mason was thirty-****ing six.

As much as you (or I) may want Cotchery to be a better slot receiver, he just isn't.

A year is a long time for a football player. I was amazed that he managed to produce at 36, I'll be even more amazed if he does it this season. I never once ruled out that he may, I've said for year that I love Mason as a player, but to EXPECT him to carry on playing the way he was is crazy. For Cotchery, I don't believe it is.

A year is a long time for a football player. I was amazed that he managed to produce at 36, I'll be even more amazed if he does it this season. I never once ruled out that he may, I've said for year that I love Mason as a player, but to EXPECT him to carry on playing the way he was is crazy. For Cotchery, I don't believe it is.

If you were expecting Cotchery to carry on playing like he was playing you must have had awfully low expectations for this season.

If the negativity hadn't gotten so out of hand, I'd jump all over Greene as a pass catcher, too. Fact is, he caught more passes last year than I expected him to over his entire career - so obviously they're working on it.

I expect Holmes to have something along the lines of an 80 catch season (up from 53 in 12 games last year). I expect Keller to pick up some slack with the loss of Edwards as well. and If he doesn't, that should mean that there is no slack because Plaxico is doing his job just fine. Cotchery caught 40 passes last year at a rate of 10.6 ypc. No reason mason can't do that and more. He's not the future, but he should be able to do that for one year. If not, Kerley looks like a reasonable option.

If LT isn't catching 50 passes this year, it's probably because Greene or Joe McKnight have ramped up their production.

Short term, looking just at this year, it's not such a terrible position. By 2012, Kerley should be the slot guy and McKnight should've take over LT's role. There's always turnover mixed with some continuity.

I agree with everything you posted pretty much. I could see Mason doing what Cotch did last year, but that's not a good season. I expect Cotchery would have improved his play significantly (so we could see the guy who showed up in the playoffs)and improving those stats before I could see Mason doing it at 37. IMO.

I don't trust Dustin Keller at all. I hate him. Nor do I trust Burress, either guy has the ability to prove me wrong but right now I don't like it, nor will I until I see something to make me change my mind.

Also disagree on the long term, we'll probably have to draft a WR high in a draft pretty soon.

I have zero problem dumping Cotchery, but the post-facto smear campaign trying to portray him as a selfish, greedy A-hole is vintage Tannenbaum.

Not for nothin, but I don't see Cotch denying any of this.

I also don't see a smear campaign. No one is saying Cotch is a bad guy. No one is saying he was a locker room cancer. No one is saying anything negative about him.

They were asked questions regarding his release and they answered them truthfully.

Branch actually did the best out of all of them last year. I like all of them as #2.5's tbh.

Playing with Tom Brady will do that for you. He makes JAGS look like stars. Just look at Welker.

The bottom line is, the Jets have one of the better WR's core in the league with what they did this offseason...all the doubters and haters will see.

Not for nothin, but I don't see Cotch denying any of this.

I also don't see a smear campaign. No one is saying Cotch is a bad guy. No one is saying he was a locker room cancer. No one is saying anything negative about him.

They were asked questions regarding his release and they answered them truthfully.

I agree with Klecko here. Don't see it as a smear campaign, and don't think anyone else will, either. JCo sees himself as a starter in this league, and he wants to be a starter and be paid like a starter. Nothing wrong with that. Jets biggest crime is that they finally seem to prefer WR's better than Cotchery. I'm fine with that, too.

The bottom line is, the Jets have one of the better WR's core in the league with what they did this offseason...all the doubters and haters will see.

The funny thing is, we may very well do. If Mason keeps up playing the way he has played and Burress returns to something close to what he was we'll blow teams away.

I'm not ruling out either of those things happening, not even both. I just don't see it as likely, in fact I would say the chances of it blowing up in our faces completely is more likely than both guys working out the way I said.

I though Cotchery, with his years of solid production, would have been a safer bet, but I get that this team doesn't do safe. I normally love Tanny's moves but right now I think he's gone too far and I can't make any sense of it at all.

Playing with Tom Brady will do that for you. He makes JAGS look like stars. Just look at Welker.

I agree with all of that except for Welker being JAG.

I have zero problem dumping Cotchery, but the post-facto smear campaign trying to portray him as a selfish, greedy A-hole is vintage Tannenbaum.

Wow, you're really losing it dude. The only thing coming out of Jets camp was that he requested to be released or traded. All of the talk regarding him not being happy with his position on the team and wanting a change of scenery is based on his own words, you do realize that right? Even still, none of it has even come remotely close to painting Cotchery in a negative way.

I guess that's how we know it's football time again, Tom's irrational hatred of Tanny is back in full force.

Archived