Kerley Looks like Something Special

flgreen

Kerley looks like something special

Fifth-round pick from TCU has the inside track on kick return, slot receiver spots

McManus By Jane McManus

ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets coach Rex Ryan called him "special" in the first week of practice. One of the first words out of quarterback Mark Sanchez's mouth when asked about him was "baller." Even hard-to-impress special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff is sold.

Jeremy Kerley, welcome to the Jets.

"I think he'll be our punt returner right off the bat from what I'm seeing," Westhoff said, "certainly have the best shot at it. And then also maybe our kickoff returner too. He could do both."

New York Jets: Training camp

Here's all your news from Jets camp:

Jets Center » Blog » Photos »

A week into camp, and the starting punt and kick return jobs are a rookie's to lose.

The wide receiver fresh out of TCU has been inserted into the first team as the slot receiver, and is impressing his coaches with his ability to get open. At one point during Friday's practice, Kerley made a grab in the end zone, but landed just out of bounds.

"Talk to him LT!" yelled offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

LaDainian Tomlinson, another TCU product, had been watched Kerley throughout his college career. Already impressed, he was pleased to see the Jets select the versatile playmaker in the fifth round.

"At TCU, we always have to feel like we have to outwork everybody else," Tomlinson said. "And I think Jeremy has that right attitude that he needs to be good in this league. He's out here working hard, he's learning, and as you see people are starting to notice what kind of player he can become."

When asked about Tomlinson, who was in an adjacent tent conducting an interview with reporters, Kerley emphasized LT wasn't just an ordinary player. And now "that superstar" is showing him the way as a professional.

[+] EnlargeJeremy Kerley

Tom Pennington/Getty ImagesA versatile playmaker at TCU, Jeremy Kerley looks set to be the same in New York.

"I'm underneath his wing," Kerley said. "He's taken a lot of pressure off my shoulders just telling me to play calm and comfortable. He's a big role model."

And Kerley has been using his reps wisely. He calls himself a football rat, "Anywhere the ball is, anywhere the cheese is, that's where I'm going to be," he said.

"Coming from college playing in the NFL, you know it's a faster speed up here so just everything was coming to me easy in college," Kerley said. "Now I have to study a little harder, but it's been fun."

Kerley, who was used in the wildcat and returned punts at TCU, might remind many of Brad Smith, who signed with the Buffalo Bills last week. Smith was one of Westhoff's favorite players -- once declaring he'd quit if Smith left -- but Westhoff is practical.

He has a placard in his office that reads, "You can't win with players you don't have." Westhoff even lobbied to get Kerley to the Jets before the draft.

"I think a lot of him, I think he's got it," Westhoff said. "He was a very good player at a very good program."

Now Kerley is winning the rest of his coaches and teammates over.

"He's just a baller," Sanchez said. "He's doing great -- first team, second team, special teams. There's always one big surprise at camp and for a guy that didn't know much of the playbook coming in, he's picked it up very fast. He's just a 'Yes, sir. No, sir' kind of guy. He puts his head down, goes to work, takes coaching really well and players really like him.

"That could be huge, and with Jerricho leaving, this could be a big opportunity for him."

It's a sentiment Ryan echoes despite having no rookie minicamp or OTAs to build this reputation over time. Kerley has demanded attention through his considerable ability on the football field.

"I think you guys have seen, as well as I do," Ryan said, "that Kerley's got a chance, I think, to be something special."

Jane McManus is a reporter and columnist for ESPNNewYork.com. Information from ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini was used in this report.

So this 5'9" 188# rookie is going to be the Punt returner, KO returner, slot receiver, and Wild Cat QB. Huuuum we should start a pool how long it will be before he dies. :lol:

Actually, to get Westhoff on his side he must be doing something right. I remember he told a player on Hard Knocks last year that he should open a Pizza Place. it would be very cool if the kid could do all that. it would be very cool if he is the slot and punt retuner.

So this 5'9" 188# rookie is going to be the Punt returner, KO returner, slot receiver, and Wild Cat QB. Huuuum we should start a pool how long it will be before he dies. :lol:

Actually, to get Westhoff on his side he must be doing something right. I remember he told a player on Hard Knocks last year that he should open a Pizza Place. it would be very cool if the kid could do all that. it would be very cool if he is the slot and punt retuner.

we may not see a smuch of the WC this year, but who knows. Slot WR is in future for him, not near term. I think he is basically a return guy this year.

Hype to make themselves look better for not re-signing Braylon and losing Cotchery.

well reporters said he looked great also, not just Rex.

BE was in bar fight again last week, he is a Turd, good riddance. He is a sure bet to see another suspension.

Cotch ASKED to be traded Dec 201. He wanted #1 WR money and a new contract w/sign bonus. Jets said no, then agreed to trade/waive him based on his request. Did you thin kJets should have ripped yup his contravct a year early and give him sign bonus, #1 WR money especially after he failed physical and had off season surgery? Not me.

well reporters said he looked great also, not just Rex.

BE was in bar fight again last week, he is a Turd, good riddance. He is a sure bet to see another suspension.

Cotch ASKED to be traded Dec 201. He wanted #1 WR money and a new contract w/sign bonus. Jets said no, then agreed to trade/waive him based on his request. Did you thin kJets should have ripped yup his contravct a year early and give him sign bonus, #1 WR money especially after he failed physical and had off season surgery? Not me.

Good to hear... we may need this kid sooner rather than later. It looks like he may be the slot guy this year.

"Talk to him LT!" yelled offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

"Dont Worry Jeremy most of us dont listen to that idiot anyhow" whispered LT to Kerley

Im really excited to see this kid play in pre season. If he can handle the slot it would be the first time since Chrebet we had a real slot WR/

I'd be very surprised if this guy is our slot receiver come September 11th. That wouldn't be a good thing in my opinion.

Why's that? I'd be thrilled that he's shown the coaching staff enough to hand him that job.

Preseason should hopefully give us a clue of what he brings to the table.

Hype to make themselves look better for not re-signing Braylon and losing Cotchery.

Yeah, cuz they totally had control over that. :blink:

Whenever good reports come out "it's just hype" but when bad ones come out it's the end of the world for you. Some people are just hopeless...

I think this is very promising. We could use a solid young receiver.

I'd be very surprised if this guy is our slot receiver come September 11th. That wouldn't be a good thing in my opinion.

I wouldnt be surprised and I would be thrilled if the kid turned out to be one of those late draft picks to shine you only hear about on other teams :). I cant wait for the first preseason game, I want to see McWhite Kerley Powell and our new DL additions exciting times.

That would be an awesome thing in my opinion.

If undrafted rookies from Hofstra like Chrebet and Colston can start in the NFL, why can't a 5th rounder from a big program be a #3 WR?

Archived