Antonio Allen hopes to 'lock down' starting safety spot

F.Chowds

Antonio Allen depended on Josh Bush during his rookie season last year.

The two were both first-year safeties, seventh and sixth round picks, respectively. Both were learning a complicated new system that demanded a speedy learning curve. Both were parsing a giant playbook.

And, of course, Bush had a car. Allen did not.

"He was the one who drove us from the facility and back to the hotel," Allen said, laughing. "So we're pretty tight."

Now the two are direct competitors for the second safety spot along with former second-round pick and Eagles castaway Jaiquawn Jarrett. Defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman declared as much last week during a conference call with season-ticket holders, saying that the starter alongside Dawan Landry will be determined through the offseason.

Offseason training activities begin for the Jets today.

Allen said that Thurman never told the safeties directly about a competition although it was apparent early on this offseason. Dueling reps have become a running scorecard between the two.

"I can see it out there on the field, you know?" Allen said. "He takes me out, puts Josh in. He takes Josh out, puts me in. So, it's a healthy competition at the end of the day."

He hopes his ability as a playmaker can stand out during these reps. At South Carolina, he wasn't typically asked to be a pure safety and is still adjusting to the position. He appeared in seven games last year, mostly on special teams, and recovered a fumble. Bush appeared in all 16, also largely in a special teams role.

Allen knows Bush would still give him a lift if need be, though. They remain friends despite the competition, one of at least eight open battles that will determine opening-day starters.

"I'm all up for it," Allen said. "We're all close in the DB room but obviously someone needs to get the start. I'm just trying to come here and compete. I just try and do what I do best, and that's make plays.

"Hopefully, me doing that will lock down that position.

Jets Antonio Allen hopes to 'lock down' starting safety spot

25 JetsColts O'Boyle.JPG

Antonio Allen (left) is one of the candidates for the second starting safety job. (John O'Boyle/The Star-Ledger)

Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger By  Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger  
on May 20, 2013 at 7:46 AM, updated May 20, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Antonio Allen depended on Josh Bush during his rookie season last year.

The two were both first-year safeties, seventh and sixth round picks, respectively. Both were learning a complicated new system that demanded a speedy learning curve. Both were parsing a giant playbook.

And, of course, Bush had a car. Allen did not.

"He was the one who drove us from the facility and back to the hotel," Allen said, laughing. "So we're pretty tight."

Now the two are direct competitors for the second safety spot along with former second-round pick and Eagles castaway Jaiquawn Jarrett. Defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman declared as much last week during a conference call with season-ticket holders, saying that the starter alongside Dawan Landry will be determined through the offseason.

Offseason training activities begin for the Jets today.

Allen said that Thurman never told the safeties directly about a competition although it was apparent early on this offseason. Dueling reps have become a running scorecard between the two.

"I can see it out there on the field, you know?" Allen said. "He takes me out, puts Josh in. He takes Josh out, puts me in. So, it's a healthy competition at the end of the day."

He hopes his ability as a playmaker can stand out during these reps. At South Carolina, he wasn't typically asked to be a pure safety and is still adjusting to the position. He appeared in seven games last year, mostly on special teams, and recovered a fumble. Bush appeared in all 16, also largely in a special teams role.

Allen knows Bush would still give him a lift if need be, though. They remain friends despite the competition, one of at least eight open battles that will determine opening-day starters.

"I'm all up for it," Allen said. "We're all close in the DB room but obviously someone needs to get the start. I'm just trying to come here and compete. I just try and do what I do best, and that's make plays.

"Hopefully, me doing that will lock down that position."

Why didn't Allen have a car? Did he not make enough with his rookie contract to buy a damn car?!?!? And why is it: "And, of course, Bush had a car. Allen did not"........is that statement bc Bush was a 6th rounder and Allen was a 7th? 7th rounders don't get to bring there car to mini camp? Kinda like a freshman away at college? Does he have a car for this off-season? These are my concerns

Someone mentioned the other day that all the guys with quotes are guys in danger of losing their roster spots. I think this one confirms it.

Allen does have some talent THO so hopefully things go well for him.

Yeah, that was me. In this guys case, I'm rooting for him as well.

Interesting choice of words by Orr in the title ("lock down") while one of Allen's teammates is actually IN "lockdown".  Wonder if that's a not so subtle jab at the Jets?

eh i dont see it that way. Dont read that much into it

allen himself says the words lock down

Bush is more of a coverage safety, while Allen is more on an in the box safety. In today's league, probably makes sense for the coverage guy to be getting more playing time, but there's still plenty of a role for Allen.

Bush is more of a coverage safety, while Allen is more on an in the box safety. In today's league, probably makes sense for the coverage guy to be getting more playing time, but there's still plenty of a role for Allen.

Call me crazy, but I have been more impressed with Allen than with Bush. The extremely small sample size doesn't really confirm this, but it was just my overall impression. Allen just seemed like he has better instincts as to where the ball was going to be on any given play.

Archived