We cant start Geno with this group of WR's...

Matt39

And even with that, and his years of experience, and having an RGIII/Shanahan combo instead of a Sanchez/Sparano combo, about 9 yards per game separated Morgan and rookie Hill.  And Morgan was starting over other people, that's how good those other clowns are.  Their receiving corps was garbage.  RGIII was friggin' great, their HC has overseen a successful offense or two, and that's why their receiving corps didn't look as lame as they are.

Yeah, RGIII was put into a position to win. Thanks to solid offensive coaching and their ability to completely customize a system around RGIII's strengths, letting him work his way into hopefully becoming more of a pocket guy. I honestly don't think he would have looked very good if you put him on our team last year, we have a head coach who doesn't give a **** about the offense or care about what's best for his players development. I don't know who's arguing for Josh Morgan but we're the only team in the league outside maybe Oakland that would draft Stephen Hill and pencil him in as a day 1 starter from the draft war room floor. Everyone knew he was far and away the biggest project of all the WR prospects. I hope Mornhinweg is finally the answer at OC and can do something similar as far as working his system to the personnel and not the other way around but I'll believe that when I see it, we haven't exactly been lucky with competent OC's.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So now that Carr is getting a chance to sit, when can we expect him to be ready to start?  Please give me an example of a sport where someone sits and gets better and don't give me baseball because they actually play in the minor leagues.

The ship has probably sailed on Carr as a starter unless it's with a team that wants a veteran to start while a young QB develops or Manning goes down with a serious injury.  Still, he is a better QB now than he was as a rookie.

You know as well as I that it isn't just a matter of "sitting" and getting better.  Smith would be working on his technique issues, learning the offense, studying film, and preparing to play.  Be obtuse if you want, but the fact remains that you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to training the body to excel in an athletic endeavor.  I do.  It is what I have done for a living for the last 15 years.

Yeah, RGIII was put into a position to win. Thanks to solid offensive coaching and their ability to completely customize a system around RGIII's strengths, letting him work his way into hopefully becoming more of a pocket guy. I honestly don't think he would have looked very good if you put him on our team last year, we have a head coach who doesn't give a **** about the offense or care about what's best for his players development. I don't know who's arguing for Josh Morgan but we're the only team in the league outside maybe Oakland that would draft Stephen Hill and pencil him in as a day 1 starter from the draft war room floor. Everyone knew he was far and away the biggest project of all the WR prospects. I hope Mornhinweg is finally the answer at OC and can do something similar as far as working his system to the personnel and not the other way around but I'll believe that when I see it, we haven't exactly been lucky with competent OC's.

I don't know where this myth comes in that Rex doesn't care about offense.  Do you really think he wants to see 52 turnovers out of his QB?  Granted, he plays a role in that by taking far too long to hold Sanchez accountable, but did he really ever have a better option?  He and Tannenbaum fell in love with Sanchez, drafted him 5th overall, went deep into the playoffs twice with him, and thought he was their franchise guy.  Rex was wrong, but none of that means that Rex doesn't give a sh** about offense.  

They've drafted plenty of offensive players (Kerley, McKnight, Powell, Ducasse) during Rex's tenure, brought in Santonio Holmes (as much as he's reviled here, we all loved him when we got him for a 5th and he was winning us games in '10), our beloved Braylon, LT, and now they've completely revamped the offensive line and RB corps.  We've done a lot more to try to improve the offense than many teams out there.  None of it has worked because the QB sucks, by far the biggest factor in our offense's lack of success.  You can't just give a pig lipstick and hope it becomes pretty.

He'd love to be able to put up 30 points a game and never lose because his defenses are solid.  It's a fools argument to keep suggesting he doesn't care about the O.  He may not UNDERSTAND how to build a great offense, but that doesn't fall 100 % on the HC's shoulders.  Many successful HC's out there don't pick out the groceries and are simply good at managing their personnel and coaching staff. 

Not to mention, when it comes to Stephen Hill, what do you want out of Rex there?  First off, he didn't even want Hill.  Secondly, if at least it shows the Jets were TRYING to get a receiver with talent in there.  He's one of those physical freak type guys with his size and speed that could make him a good one one day.  Not sure how you can knock the pick just yet.

I don't know where this myth comes in that Rex doesn't care about offense. Do you really think he wants to see 52 turnovers out of his QB? Granted, he plays a role in that by taking far too long to hold Sanchez accountable, but did he really ever have a better option? He and Tannenbaum fell in love with Sanchez, drafted him 5th overall, went deep into the playoffs twice with him, and thought he was their franchise guy. None of that means that Rex doesn't give a sh** about offense.

He'd love to be able to put up 30 points a game and never lose because his defenses are solid. It's a fools argument to keep suggesting he doesn't care about the O. He may not UNDERSTAND how to build a great offense, but that doesn't fall 100 % on the HC's shoulders.

Come on now

Who's available? And what would you give up for him? The Jets are in rebuilding mode, I really wouldn't want to see them trade a 2014 draft pick for a QB they plan to chew up and spit out by the halfway mark of the season. I think they just have to hold their nose and trot Sanchez out there for a few weeks if they want to give Geno a little time to ramp up.

I agree.  The only way I see a trade making sense is if there's a young vet out there who they think could be a quality backup on the Jets for the next 3-5 years and he doesn't cost an arm and a leg.  The fans won't like it if Sanchez starts, but I don't think that will be a factor for Idzik.  If that's what he thinks will be best for the team in the long run, it's what he will do.  Sometimes there are no-win situations, and you just have to pick the lesser of two evils...rush your rookie QB on the field too soon and risk ruining him, or start a QB that 98% of the fan base hates and who is all but guaranteed to be awful, and pray that the rookie will be ready to start by week 4.

I don't know where this myth comes in that Rex doesn't care about offense.  Do you really think he wants to see 52 turnovers out of his QB?  Granted, he plays a role in that by taking far too long to hold Sanchez accountable, but did he really ever have a better option?  He and Tannenbaum fell in love with Sanchez, drafted him 5th overall, went deep into the playoffs twice with him, and thought he was their franchise guy.  None of that means that Rex doesn't give a sh** about offense.  

He'd love to be able to put up 30 points a game and never lose because his defenses are solid.  It's a fools argument to keep suggesting he doesn't care about the O.  He may not UNDERSTAND how to build a great offense, but that doesn't fall 100 % on the HC's shoulders.

I base this off of everything Rex has said and done since coming here. Have you ever listened to him talk in a post game presser? Its "His Defense" blah blah blah oh and the offense wasn't very good. We drafted Sanchez and then took CB or DL with every first rounder afterwards. We all know Rex got what he wanted on draft day and he only cares about one side of the ball. He is his father, he thinks he'll make his defense so good that somebody else can worry about offense cause it won't matter.

I base this off of everything Rex has said and done since coming here. Have you ever listened to him talk in a post game presser? Its "His Defense" blah blah blah oh and the offense wasn't very good. We drafted Sanchez and then took CB or DL with every first rounder afterwards. We all know Rex got what he wanted on draft day and he only cares about one side of the ball. He is his father, he thinks he'll make his defense so good that somebody else can worry about offense cause it won't matter.

I'm not great Rex defender, but everyone makes this argument and then fails to produce a player who the Jets should have drafted based on where they were.  What playmaker did we miss out on that we reasonably could have had?

And even with that, and his years of experience, and having an RGIII/Shanahan combo instead of a Sanchez/Sparano combo, about 9 yards per game separated Morgan and rookie Hill.  And Morgan was starting over other people, that's how good those other clowns are.  Their receiving corps was garbage.  RGIII was friggin' great, their HC has overseen a successful offense or two, and that's why their receiving corps didn't look as lame as they are.

Exactly. The Jets find a passer and Weaponz will start showing up from left field.

We've drafted one skill position player over the past 10 years in the first round. Dustin Keller. I have to imagine that;s the least of any team in the NFL.

The last receiver they took in the first round was Santana Moss in 2001.

And we wonder why our passing offense has been archaic since Vinny left. In todays pass happy league...I think Jets fans deserve better than Jeremy Kerley as their #1 receiver.

The ship has probably sailed on Carr as a starter unless it's with a team that wants a veteran to start while a young QB develops or Manning goes down with a serious injury.  Still, he is a better QB now than he was as a rookie.

You know as well as I that it isn't just a matter of "sitting" and getting better.  Smith would be working on his technique issues, learning the offense, studying film, and preparing to play.  Be obtuse if you want, but the fact remains that you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to training the body to excel in an athletic endeavor.  I do.  It is what I have done for a living for the last 15 years.

I am so glad you think you know me so well. They must teach you to read people at the Y.

We've drafted one skill position player over the past 10 years in the first round. Dustin Keller. I have to imagine that;s the least of any team in the NFL.

And we wonder why our passing offense has been archaic since Vinny left. In todays pass happy league...I think Jets fans deserve better than Jeremy Kerley as their #1 receiver.

I don't. It's in that sentence - the good QB play left. Jeremy Kerley is not this team's #1 WR. 

QB is a skill position.

By the way, Baltimore has drafted exactly one more offensive "skill position" than we have over that time span: WR Mark Clayton, who contributed absolutely nothing to the team's SB success.

QB is a skill position.

By the way, Baltimore has drafted exactly one more offensive "skill position" than we have over that time span: WR Mark Clayton, who contributed absolutely nothing to the team's SB success.

Baltimore also hired a great coach. A coach is also a skill position.

BAM

QB is a skill position.

The last four years make me question this logic

If this was one of his crimes, Tannenbaum is now gone. Time to judge the new regime. You have a new GM, and he went CB and DT. They may've really wanted Tavon, but he was gone. You can make the argument for Eiffert over Richardson, but I think we need to see how these two players' careers play out. DT is generally regarded to be a much more valuable position than TE. I have a feeling that one's going to turn out to be in Idzik's favor.

I don't believe Rex had much (if any) input into this years draft. I do believe that Idzik stuck very close to his board. I'd love a first round WR, but I prefer the BAP approach a lot more.

Baltimore also hired a great coach. A coach is also a skill position.

BAM

That is an entirely different discussion.

Drafting a skill position specifically in round 1 is not the reason a team wins a superbowl or is a good offensive team (or is even a good team at all).  

That is an entirely different discussion.

Drafting a skill position specifically in round 1 is not the reason a team wins a superbowl or is a good offensive team (or is even a good team at all).  

These last 4 drafts have Rex's fingerprints all over them these are the skill position players we've added under GnP defensive guru

Rd 1 pick 5 - Mark Sanchez

Rd 3 pick 65- Shonn Greene

Rd 4 pick 112- Joe McKnight

Rd 5 pick 139- John Conner

Rd 5 pick 153- Jeremy Kerley

Rd 2 Pick 43- Stephen Hill

A QB then a bunch of late round RB's/FB to run his Ground and Pound, all while letting the line go to sh*t which is far more important to a solid running game than what late round JAG RB you throw in there. Kerley has been a pleasant surprise but he was a 5th rounder and Stephen Hill who could be a good pick down the road, was stupid at the time for a team with no WR depth and delusional enough to believe themselves contenders. Everybody knew he wasn't meant to be a day one starter. Rex also came out and complained about taking a WR not because the reasons I'm stating but probably because there was a real tough sonabitch FB on the board or a DT/DB he wanted. This is the focus we've put on offense during the draft when it's obvious to anyone with a set of eyes that the defense hasn't been our problem.

These last 4 drafts have Rex's fingerprints all over them these are the skill position players we've added under GnP defensive guru

A QB then a bunch of late round RB's/FB to run his Ground and Pound, all while letting the line go to sh*t which is far more important to a solid running game than what late round JAG RB you throw in there. Kerley has been a pleasant surprise but he was a 5th rounder and Stephen Hill who could be a good pick down the road, was stupid at the time for a team with no WR depth and delusional enough to believe themselves contenders. Everybody knew he wasn't meant to be a day one starter. Rex also came out and complained about taking a WR not because the reasons I'm stating but probably because there was a real tough sonabitch FB on the board or a DT/DB he wanted. This is the focus we've put on offense during the draft when it's obvious to anyone with a set of eyes that the defense hasn't been our problem.

My point is that a team does not need to specifically draft "offensive skill positions" in round 1 to be good or dominant.  You need a QB, plain and simple.

Not that they turned out to be such great moves either, but the team has devoted plenty of draft picks to offense.  You're only looking at the college rookies.  They also used draft picks to acquire other teams' veterans, for better or for worse.  We didn't first acquire Santonio Holmes or Braylon Edwards in free agency; we used draft picks to get them.  Like them or not, those are two first round WRs.  Keller was a first round TE.  Greene was the first pick in round 3.  Sanchez was the 5th pick in the country.

The team has poured more draft picks into offensive skill positions than most others.  The problem is who they got with those picks (Sanchez being the biggest offense-killer of the bunch), not the positions they used them on.

QB is a skill position.

It helps that the Ravens know how to draft though too. We rarely target offense early, and when we do- they stink.

Rice, Pierce, Pitta, Smith would all be starters here.

If Powell, McKnight, Cumberland or Kerley hit the market...the only one that wouldnt be fighting for a roster spot somewhere is else Kerley.

It helps that the Ravens know how to draft though too. We rarely target offense early, and when we do- they stink.

Rice, Pierce, Pitta, Smith would all be starters here.

If Powell, McKnight, Cumberland or Kerley hit the market...the only one that wouldnt be fighting for a roster spot somewhere is else Kerley.

Your complaint was specific: that we had only drafted two skill positions on offense in the last 10 drafts.  That is a silly thing to get angry or complain about.

Your complaint was specific: that we had only drafted two skill positions on offense in the last 10 drafts.  That is a silly thing to get angry or complain about.

Alright. Let me rephrase. We care way more about the defense than the offense....and when we seemingly reluctantly pursue offense- these players are generally average at best. WHo was the last back the Jets drafted that was any good? Freeman Mcneil? That's horrifying. 

In round one:

Seattle has drafted ZERO offensive skill positions in the last 10 years.  The last time Seattle drafted an offensive skill position was 2002 when they took that psychopath Jerramy Stevens with the 28th pick.

Philadelphia took ONE in the past 10 years:  Jeremy Maclin in 2009.  Last one before him was The People's Champion way back in 2001.

Green Bay took ONE in the past 10 years:  Aaron Rodgers.  Before him was Javon Walker 12 drafts ago.  Before him was Bubba Franks in 2000.  We have drafted more offensive skill position players in the last 10 drafts than the Green Bay Packers have.

New England has taken ONE offensive skill position player in the last 10 drafts:  Laurence Maroney back in 2006.

Houston has drafted ZERO offensive skill position players in the last 10 drafts. The last time they took one was 2003 (Andre Johnson).

New Orleans has drafted TWO offensive skill position players in the last 10 drafts (same amount as the Jets), and one of those two was the great Robert Meachem.  The other was Reggie Bush, who they had to burn the #2 pick in the country to get.

I have no idea how it started, or why it has gained so much credence as a reason for the team's failures, but it is a silly myth that in order for a team to be an offensive powerhouse that it must draft players in round 1 specifically at "skill positions."  Look above:  Seattle aside, these are some of the NFL's best offensive teams over the past decade.  The reason for teams' success or failures in drafted personnel on offense is WHO is drafted, not WHERE they're drafted.

Know who's taken 6 offensive "skill position" players in round 1 in the last 10 drafts? The Jacksonville Jaguars and the Tennessee Titans.

You forgot Powell and the 2 picks traded for former 1st round WR's and Slauson who was found in the 6th round and part of an OL who produced the 2nd best run game in the league. 

People knock Greene, rightfully so, but the dude was crucial in both playoff runs and produced back to back 1,000 yard seasons with the worst QB in the league as a RB who saw more men in the box than any other RB in the league.

The bottom line is, Rex Ryan had 7 total picks in his first 2 drafts....7!  Of those 7, 6 were spent on offense.  Following year, he had 6 picks, 4 were spent on offense.   Thats a pretty heavy focus on offense, no matter how you spin it my friend. 

You forgot Powell and the 2 picks traded for former 1st round WR's and Slauson who was found in the 6th round and part of an OL who produced the 2nd best run game in the league. 

People knock Greene, rightfully so, but the dude was crucial in both playoff runs and produced back to back 1,000 yard seasons with the worst QB in the league as a RB who saw more men in the box than any other RB in the league.

The bottom line is, Rex Ryan had 7 total picks in his first 2 drafts....7!  Of those 7, 6 were spent on offense.  Following year, he had 6 picks, 4 were spent on offense.   Thats a pretty heavy focus on offense, no matter how you spin it my friend. 

All of the picks on offense since Rex has been here have been terrible.

Seattle has drafted ZERO offensive skill positions in the last 10 years.  The last time Seattle drafted an offensive skill position was 2002 when they took that psychopath Jerramy Stevens with the 28th pick.

Philadelphia took ONE in the past 10 years:  Jeremy Maclin in 2009.  Last one before him was The People's Champion way back in 2001.

Green Bay took ONE in the past 10 years:  Aaron Rodgers.  Before him was Javon Walker 12 drafts ago.  Before him was Bubba Franks in 2000.  We have drafted more offensive skill position players in the last 10 drafts than the Green Bay Packers have.

New England has taken ONE offensive skill position player in the last 10 drafts:  Laurence Maroney back in 2006.

Houston has drafted ZERO offensive skill position players in the last 10 drafts. The last time they took one was 2003 (Andre Johnson).

New Orleans has drafted TWO offensive skill position players in the last 10 drafts (same amount as the Jets), and one of those two was the great Robert Meachem.  The other was Reggie Bush, who they had to burn the #2 pick in the country to get.

I have no idea how it started, or why it has gained so much credence as a reason for the team's failures, but it is a silly myth that in order for a team to be an offensive powerhouse that it must draft players in round 1 specifically at "skill positions."  Look above:  Seattle aside, these are some of the NFL's best offensive teams over the past decade.  The reason for teams' success or failures in drafted personnel on offense is WHO is drafted, not WHERE they're drafted.

Know who's taken 6 offensive "skill position" players in round 1 in the last 10 drafts? The Jacksonville Jaguars and the Tennessee Titans.

I was about to destroy the post from Matt as well...there are more examples too.

Chargers? Craig Davis, before that it was LT.

Bears?  Greg Olsen before that it was Cedric Benson

Bucs?  Cadillac Williams and Michael Clayton - both out of the league.

Rams?  Steven Jackson

Redskins?  Devon Thomas

Its actually quite a long list. 

I was about to destroy the post from Matt as well...there are more examples too.

Chargers? Craig Davis, before that it was LT.

Bears?  Greg Olsen before that it was Cedric Benson

Bucs?  Cadillac Williams and Michael Clayton - both out of the league.

Rams?  Steven Jackson

Redskins?  Devon Thomas

Its actually quite a long list. 

And all of those teams stink.

Look who Bradford's been throwing to his entire career. You don't think they were desperate for Tavon Austin?

And all of those teams stink.

The teams I listed are loaded with superbowl rings and top 5 (and #1) rankings on offense.  I notice you jumped over my post and responded to his easy target one.

The commonality in all of them is having a good QB.

Who was this great RB who Green Bay drafted that led the team to #1 offenses and a superbowl?

All of the picks on offense since Rex has been here have been terrible.

Not really.  Kerley in the 5th could end up being a monster steal.  Any time you find a 3 year starter in the 6th round you've done well.  Greene in the 3rd they certainly got their value out of whether you like him as a player or not.  Joe McKnight in the 4th was the best return man in the game.

Bottom line is, we could go through this exercise with most teams and say the same thing, I've literally done it a thousand times on this site.  The ones we wouldnt knock, guess what they have?  A QB.  Weird.

The teams I listed are loaded with superbowl rings and top 5 (and #1) rankings on offense.  I notice you jumped over my post and responded to his easy target one.

The commonality in all of them is having a good QB.

Who was this great RB who Green Bay drafted that led the team to #1 offenses and a superbowl?

lulza - exactly.  And I was just adding to the list to show Matt he was dead wrong.

I'm not great Rex defender, but everyone makes this argument and then fails to produce a player who the Jets should have drafted based on where they were.  What playmaker did we miss out on that we reasonably could have had?

That would require effort, which I've actually put forth quite a bit but apparently goes unnoticed. I'm so underrated. 

Saints took Mark Ingram in the first round. Graham was a high pick with upside. Green Bay has pursued WR's relentlessly throughout the draft. Nelson was their first pick in 2008. Cobb a couple of years ago. Jones, Finley all were somewhat early picks. Lacey and Frankin this year....these teams dont ignore the offense.

But yeah...lets throw Geno out there with Steve Hill, Kerley and a rugby player. We'll know either way if he's Aaron Rodgers or not!

Not really.  Kerley in the 5th could end up being a monster steal.  Any time you find a 3 year starter in the 6th round you've done well.  Greene in the 3rd they certainly got their value out of whether you like him as a player or not.  Joe McKnight in the 4th was the best return man in the game.

Bottom line is, we could go through this exercise with most teams and say the same thing, I've literally done it a thousand times on this site.  The ones we wouldnt knock, guess what they have?  A QB.  Weird.

Green was awful. Joe Mcknight lulz.

If were using McKnight as an example this argument should probably end now..because we have completely different opinions on quality skill position players.

Archived