I feel better about this team than I did in 2011 and 2012, and I don't know what that means

Matt39

I want to see Tom be positive about the Jets before I die

Positives:

1. Idzik acting like a professional and, so far, keeping everyone else to that standard.

2. I like the young building blocks on defense, even though they're a big pass rusher and a safety away from being great.

3. I like the way Geno handles himself. He doesn't seem afraid, and he doesn't seem to worry too much about peripheral things.

4. I like that Idzik has set this team up to have a lot of flexibility next year--not only with the roster, but also with the coaching staff. He'll be able to pull the plunger on a lot of dead weight after this year.

Positives:

1. Idzik acting like a professional and, so far, keeping everyone else to that standard.

2. I like the young building blocks on defense, even though they're a big pass rusher and a safety away from being great.

3. I like the way Geno handles himself. He doesn't seem afraid, and he doesn't seem to worry too much about peripheral things.

4. I like that Idzik has set this team up to have a lot of flexibility next year--not only with the roster, but also with the coaching staff. He'll be able to pull the plunger on a lot of dead weight after this year.

What happens if your new man-crush retains Rex year? I imagine it'll be something like that Star Trek bit where Kirk tells the guy that Spock never lies, and then Spock tells him that he's lying right now, and then the guy's head explodes.

What happens if your new man-crush retains Rex year? I imagine it'll be something like that Star Trek bit where Kirk tells the guy that Spock never lies, and then Spock tells him that he's lying right now, and then the guy's head explodes.

:biggrin:

In the exceedingly implausible event that Idzik decides to tie his professional cart to Rex's wagon, it'd mean that the team exceeded expectations, which means that Geno was awesome, in which case I'd tolerate Herm Edwards/Satan/Justin Bieber as my head coach as long as I got to see a real, live great young QB wearing Jets green.

Agree with all of it except the last sentence.  Still undecided on Rex.  Not Anti-Rex yet.

Letting go of Rex Ryan will be a huge mistake IMO.  The guy has an insane amount of talent.  Not only X's and O's where he's elite but he also has an incredible way of connecting with players and instilling confidence.  I know we all dont want to believe that because he had a losing season last year and his big mouth  back fired and created a circus, but its true.  We've all seen it.  And now he's learning from his mistakes.  

He's a proven winner.  He's proved he can win in the playoffs.  He's proved he can coach #1 overall units (rushing and defense).  We've seen him out game plan the best HC's in the league and we've seen him shut down the best QB's in the league and we've seen him shut down the best RB's in the league.  The second you let go of Rex, your defense more than likely, will never be as strong.  As much of a scoring game the NFL has turned into, you still need to stop the other team.  Idzik clearly saw that by retaining him.  

I'm optimistic about the future of this team.  Idzik seems to have his head on straight.  Marty is good damn offensive coach.  The 3 of them seem to have a great relationship...this could be the right ingredients.  The offense is an offseason from improving immensely.  If Geno is the real deal, then this team has a ton of potential and Rex Ryan would be an enormous advantage to have as your HC.  Having someone come in next season and start over who we know damn well doesnt have near the Football IQ of Rex Ryan would be a poor decision. 

In the exceedingly implausible event that Idzik decides to tie his professional cart to Rex's wagon, it'd mean that the team exceeded expectations, which means that Geno was awesome, in which case I'd tolerate Herm Edwards/Satan/Justin Bieber as my head coach as long as I got to see a real, live great young QB wearing Jets green.

If Idzik had as little confidence in Rex as you do, he wouldnt want him here because of the irreparable damage Rex will inevitably inflict upon this team. Why wait and delay getting his guy in to establish the culture and identity of his team?  He's a first time GM and in his first season, he saw enough in Rex to give him a chance.  Instead of establishing a name for himself, he's tying his cart to Rex.  This is the NFL, here today, gone tomorrow. Idzik chose Rex.  Even if it is only for a year, that might be a quarter of his career...or less.

Get over it Tommy, your boo Idzik likes what he see's in Rex Ryan.  

Letting go of Rex Ryan will be a huge mistake IMO.  The guy has an insane amount of talent.  Not only X's and O's where he's elite but he also has an incredible way of connecting with players and instilling confidence.  I know we all dont want to believe that because he had a losing season last year and his big mouth  back fired and created a circus, but its true.  We've all seen it.  And now he's learning from his mistakes.  

He's a proven winner.  He's proved he can win in the playoffs.  He's proved he can coach #1 overall units (rushing and defense).  We've seen him out game plan the best HC's in the league and we've seen him shut down the best QB's in the league and we've seen him shut down the best RB's in the league.  The second you let go of Rex, your defense more than likely, will never be as strong.  As much of a scoring game the NFL has turned into, you still need to stop the other team.  Idzik clearly saw that by retaining him.  

I'm optimistic about the future of this team.  Idzik seems to have his head on straight.  Marty is good damn offensive coach.  The 3 of them seem to have a great relationship...this could be the right ingredients.  The offense is an offseason from improving immensely.  If Geno is the real deal, then this team has a ton of potential and Rex Ryan would be an enormous advantage to have as your HC.  Having someone come in next season and start over who we know damn well doesnt have near the Football IQ of Rex Ryan would be a poor decision. 

I agree with a lot of what you say here.  The problem is, his end of game management has often left a lot to be desired, and his handling of the Sanchez situation, even if you place much of that on Tannenbaum, again leaves a lot be desired.

For those that say the defense wasn't that good last year, how do you account for the 6 wins we had. Yeah, I know 6 isn't a lot, but that offense sure as hell didn't get you all those wins, and there were many games where they were pulling against the defense with turnovers, terrible field position, etc. There were actually a few games (1 off the top of my head, but I think there were more) where we literally would have been better off punting the ball on 1st down. I'm using that word correctly: we would have literally been better off, not figuratively. That's how bad it was.

So even without Revis, the defense is crazy. The defensive line is young, athletic and highly talented. Lots of great guys upfront.

Bringing me back to the offense. HOW do you not add a Tavon Austin or a Tyler Eifert or someone of that level to this offense? If Holmes doesn't come back, I think we're actually worse at the offensive skill positions than we were last year, and that is downright scary. Geno Smith is the wildcard though, as good QB play can elevate everyone. I feel much better about the QB position this year, but there's still nothing in terms of TEs/WRs and very little when it comes to RBs, especially given all the injury concerns.

I don't see anything to hang their hats on when their wins were against Buffalo (a game the D tried very hard to give away) ,Miami, Indy, Rams, Arizona and Jacksonville.

And if you want to go back to 2011 wins over Dallas and SD were really the only wins that year that were against good teams.

That defense has become a bully defense, Go and beat up on the bad teams and either fold or get annihilated against the good teams. The secondary is Cro and Rookie on the either side and who knows what at safety, The linebackers if Harris decides to start playing like the Harris before he got paid has a chance to be good and DL again has a chance to be good. They though are nowhere near being the defense of 09 and 10.

the running backs are a bunch of whatifs

The WRs have improved if you believe that going from an abortion to bad is a good jump. The Jets are counting on TE who hasn't played in over a year.

QB ? We can only hope Geno wins the job in training camp

The way the schedule looks right now this could very easily be a 2-14 team and a front runner in the Clowney sweepstakes. At best, if they pull an upset here and they 6 wins is the most I see for this crew,

What do you have against Justin Bieber?  lol

If Idzik had as little confidence in Rex as you do, he wouldnt want him here because of the irreparable damage Rex will inevitably inflict upon this team. Why wait and delay getting his guy in to establish the culture and identity of his team?  He's a first time GM and in his first season, he saw enough in Rex to give him a chance.  Instead of establishing a name for himself, he's tying his cart to Rex.  This is the NFL, here today, gone tomorrow. Idzik chose Rex.  Even if it is only for a year, that might be a quarter of his career...or less.

You could be right about Idzik liking Rex.  Then again,  Woody may have told him that he couldn't fire Rex this year, that he had to work with Rex and give him another year to try to learn and straighten things out.

I don't remember a single practice last year that there was any stories of the O looking good.  I have already seen a bunch.  Sanchez seems much better in MM offense and it sounds like Smith is doing better then I thought.  The WR's sound like they are much better then last year and so are the TE, RB and O-line.   If this team had any kind of Offense last year would have won 2 or three more games. 

I dont think 9 - 7 or 10 - 6 is that crazy.

Competition, and accountability from 1-53 make a HUGE difference in what you get from those final 53 players left standing, this is the right way to do it, after 09 Rex forgot about that, the worst thing to ever happen to him was getting to that 09 AFC Championship game, he thought it was easy, and stopped coaching the right way, either he remembered, or Idzik reminded him.

If Idzik had as little confidence in Rex as you do, he wouldnt want him here because of the irreparable damage Rex will inevitably inflict upon this team. Why wait and delay getting his guy in to establish the culture and identity of his team? He's a first time GM and in his first season, he saw enough in Rex to give him a chance. Instead of establishing a name for himself, he's tying his cart to Rex. This is the NFL, here today, gone tomorrow. Idzik chose Rex. Even if it is only for a year, that might be a quarter of his career...or less.

Idzik picked neither Rex nor Mornhinweg. He has no ties to either, and bears no responsibility for either.

I don't want to list the reasons I think Rex's firing is a fait accompli again. But, to sum up, his effectiveness has trended down (as it does with all player's coaches), the entirety of the sports media is standing at the ready to castigate him (as retribution for running his mouth early on), there are vast swaths of fans who are apathetic toward this season already (100 people at training camp?), and the early season schedule will prevent the team from gaining any momentum. In sum, The Rex Era is about to end much like the Herm Era ended--with empty seats and a bunch of ugly losses, and a weasel coach that's going to be looking for the emergency exit by the time November rolls around.

I don't remember a single practice last year that there was any stories of the O looking good.  I have already seen a bunch.  Sanchez seems much better in MM offense and it sounds like Smith is doing better then I thought.  The WR's sound like they are much better then last year and so are the TE, RB and O-line.   If this team had any kind of Offense last year would have won 2 or three more games. 

I dont think 9 - 7 or 10 - 6 is that crazy.

why do people keep saying that the defense look scary good this year, yet everyone is also reporting that this is the first time the offense has been excelling in TC? Seems more likely to me the the defense has slid a bit rather then we suddenly have a 90's era 49'er offense

It's because it feels like there's a plan in place and a guy in Idzik who doesn't act like he and Rex are running a fraternity. What you're feeling is a sense of order being restored.

I swear I read this same post from multiple people in July 2006

I agree with a lot of what you say here.  The problem is, his end of game management has often left a lot to be desired, and his handling of the Sanchez situation, even if you place much of that on Tannenbaum, again leaves a lot be desired.

Tannenbaum doesn't have a tattoo of his wife in a Sanchez jersey and nothing else

You could be right about Idzik liking Rex.  Then again,  Woody may have told him that he couldn't fire Rex this year, that he had to work with Rex and give him another year to try to learn and straighten things out.

Idzik picked neither Rex nor Mornhinweg. He has no ties to either, and bears no responsibility for either.

I don't want to list the reasons I think Rex's firing is a fait accompli again. But, to sum up, his effectiveness has trended down (as it does with all player's coaches), the entirety of the sports media is standing at the ready to castigate him (as retribution for running his mouth early on), there are vast swaths of fans who are apathetic toward this season already (100 people at training camp?), and the early season schedule will prevent the team from gaining any momentum. In sum, The Rex Era is about to end much like the Herm Era ended--with empty seats and a bunch of ugly losses, and a weasel coach that's going to be looking for the emergency exit by the time November rolls around.

Idzik picked neither?  What kind of GM didnt have a say his coaching staff?  So basically, you're supporting a spineless puppet.

Your Herm comparisons are hands down some of the stupidest sh*t going on around here.

Maybe because it's not "his" coaching staff?

The day that Idzik was announced as GM, Marty was anointed as OC like 10 minutes later.  Not sure about Rex but I'd bet anything that Marty is Idzik's  pick. 

Do you really think Rex, the "Ground and Pound King"  really hired a WCO OC?

Maybe because it's not "his" coaching staff?

Its not?  That's strange because I'm pretty sure that John Idzik is the Jets new GM and his coaching staff is Rex Ryan, Dennis Thurman, and Marty Mornhinweg.  Maybe I missed something?  But I think thats the case.  Pretty sure at least.  They've been interviewing Rex Ryan like he's the HC and stuff.  Weird.

The day that Idzik was announced as GM, Marty was anointed as OC like 10 minutes later.  Not sure about Rex but I'd bet anything that Marty is Idzik's  pick. 

Do you really think Rex, the "Ground and Pound King"  really hired a WCO OC?

I doubt this is how it went down.  Maybe he did have a conversation, but who is interviewing candidates for a job that might not exist ?   Things always happen and it wasn't like Idzik was the known top guy for months.  So everything went down rather quick in how they hired a GM,  so I just don't see Idzik going through the interview process and interviewing OC at the same time.    It's not like he was 'the guy' from the start.    

It's one thing if everybody wanted him and he had the pick of the litter.  Andy Reid had that kind of process.  He had a couple of choices, he knew who his staff were going to be and so on.  He was going to get a job.   If the Jets backed out at the last minute,  Idzik wasn't becoming the GM of another team.  So why would he even have MM in his back pocket as a for sure OC?

I think this process came from Woody and others.   Idzik is hired and 10 minutes later the OC is hired,  it's just highly doubtful he played  big part in that.  

Archived