~ ~ Pats @ Jets : Sun. Dec. 21 - 1:00 pm ~ ~

kelly

It's Rex Ryan against the New England Patriots, probably for the last time.

Ryan was in a reflective mood Monday as he looked ahead to Sunday, his 13th game against Bill Belichick & Co. Ryan's attitude has softened from the early years, when his mission in life was to dethrone the Patriots. He burst upon the scene in 2009, claiming he didn't take the New York Jets' job to kiss Belichick's rings.

Ryan won the only postseason showdown, but he's 4-8 overall against the Evil Empire, having watched the Patriots win the AFC East every season. He's still not ready to kiss Belichick's rings, but he came close.

"You're talking about a guy that will be a first-ballot Hall of Fame coach when he goes in there," Ryan said. "There are very few like that, if any -- maybe Tom Coughlin -- that's out there today. That's the biggest guy, and you like to go up against the very best. And that's who he is. ... I like that, and I like getting that opportunity."

On paper, it's as lopsided as lopsided can be.

The Jets are 3-11, playing out the string. The Patriots are 11-3, playing for home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. The Patriots have won six of the last seven meetings, but four of those six wins were by seven points or less. In the previous game, Oct. 16, the Jets outplayed the Patriots in many respects, but still lost, 27-25. Ryan was so angry he punched a wall outside the postgame interview room. The Patriots usually figure out a way.

"That's what great teams do, they find ways to win, and he's done that," Ryan said of Belichick. "He prepares his team as well as anybody in the league, if not better than any coach in the league. I do like competing against him, there's no question about it. And he knows one thing: He's going to get my very best, that's for sure. I'm looking forward to this one."

This could be last licks for Ryan, who likely will be fired at the end of the season. Under the circumstances, a win against the Patriots wouldn't carry special meaning, Ryan said. In his next breath, he contradicted himself.

"It's just another game," he said, "but it's against the Patriots, so it's special."

Wide receiver Eric Decker has played in only one Jets-Patriots game, but he picked up quickly on the rivalry.

"You can feel the intensity," he said. "You can feel the fire within everyone."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/47318/rex-ryans-not-a-ring-kisser-but-he-respect-bill-belichicks-rings

-- The New York Jets are a good example of how quickly things can spiral out of control in the NFL.

Consider that after a season-opening home win over the Raiders, they traveled to Green Bay in Week 2 and opened a 21-3 lead early in the second quarter that day. Few figured that would be the high point of their season.

What unfolded since that point was unexpected -- a streak of eight straight losses, including a 27-25 decision to the Patriots at Gillette Stadium on Oct. 16. The Jets played well enough to win that day, holding a time-of-possession edge of 40:54-19:06, which Patriots coach Bill Belichick will surely remind his players this week. But while Belichick talks up the Jets, the chatter in the Meadowlands is less about the game and more about the future and if head coach Rex Ryan and general manager John Idzik will be part of it.

For more of the Jets, below is our weekly primer

Record: 3-11
Head coach: Rex Ryan (6th year)
Offensive coordinator: Marty Mornhinweg
Defensive coordinator: Dennis Thurman
Special teams: Thomas McGaughey
General manager: John Idzik

THREE PLAYERS TO KNOW, OFFENSE

1. WR Percy Harvin. Acquired in a trade from Seattle two days after the Jets lost to the Patriots earlier this season, he has 20 rushes for 109 yards and 25 catches for 306 yards and one touchdown since the deal. He's also a primary kickoff returner, with a 65-yarder his long return this season.

2. TE Jace Amaro. The 2014 second-round draft pick out of Texas Tech was tied to the Patriots in mock drafts as one of the best "move" tight ends entering the NFL. In 12 games (4 starts) he has 35 receptions for 311 yards and two touchdowns this season.

3. QB Geno Smith. His best game of the season probably came against the Patriots (20-of-34 for 226 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT), but he lost his starting job a few weeks later to veteran Michael Vick. Now he's back under center, hoping to prove to team officials that he's the signal-caller to build around. He faces an uphill climb.

THREE PLAYERS TO KNOW, DEFENSE

1. NT Damon Harrison. Despite entering the NFL as an undrafted free agent out of William Penn (Indiana) in 2012, he has developed into a foundation-type player at the heart of the defense. Listed at 6-foot-4 and 350 pounds, he has started every game in each of the last two seasons.

2. DT Sheldon Richardson. One of the Jets' two first-round draft choices in 2013, the 6-foot-3, 294-pound Richardson can be a disruptive presence up front (6.5 sacks this season) and was the NFL's Rookie of the Year in 2013. He's started 29 of a possible 30 games since entering the NFL

3. S Jaiquawn Jarrett. The third-year player out of Temple has stepped into the starting lineup in recent weeks. He has 41 tackles, 1.5 sacks and two interceptions on the season, as the team initially tapped him over 2014 first-round draft choice Calvin Pryor, who was reportedly late for meetings.

EXTRA POINTS: The Jets are tied with Oakland and Kansas City with a league-low 11 takeaways. ... With issues at quarterback, the Jets rank last in the NFL in passing yards per game (168.9). ... One positive for the Jets is their run defense, which is the third-best unit in the NFL in terms of average yards allowed per rush (3.5). ... Running back Chris Ivory, who hurt the Patriots on Oct. 16, is the leading rusher with 739 yards on 174 carries (4.2 avg.) and is complemented by Chris Johnson (613 yards, 135 carries, 4.5 avg.). ... Eric Decker is the leading receiver with 62 catches for 720 yards and four touchdowns. ... A toe injury kept one of their best defenders, lineman Muhammad Wilkerson, from playing this past Sunday against the Titans. ... Former Patriots receiver Greg Salas was placed on season-ending injured reserve after rushing for a 20-yard touchdown against the Dolphins on ESPN's "Monday Night Football" Dec. 1. Salas finished the season with eight receptions for 167 yards. ... Former Patriots tight end Zach Sudfeld has played all 14 games this season (2 starts), with his primary contributions on special teams. He has two catches for 35 yards on the season. ... Former Boston College tight end Chris Pantale was promoted off the practice squad in late November and has appeared in three games with the team.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4774390/getting-to-know-the-new-york-jets-3

This will be a total slaughter if the pats choose to make it one.  I can see the score being 28-0 half way through the 2nd quarter and whoever is the pats back of the week putting up about 180 yards rushing.

i'm hopin' ..well,...praying we're able to keep " Brady & Co. "  under 50 points...

:mad0222:  

— Almost two months to the day since suffering a hip injury that caused him to miss six games, defensive end Chandler Jones was back on the field for the Patriots on Sunday. It looked as if he never left.

Jones played a typical game. He forced a fumble, had 1½ sacks of Ryan Tannehill, and was credited with seven tackles after playing 52 defensive snaps in the Patriots’ 41-13 win over the Miami Dolphins at Gillette Stadium, which brought New England its sixth consecutive AFC East title.

He celebrated with his teammates after the game, but before the game, Jones acknowledged a much different feeling.

“Just a few months ago I was on crutches. For me to be out there with my team, I got a little emotional,” Jones said. “Just getting ready, as I’m putting my pads on, getting my wrists taped and getting my ankles taped, going through that whole routine, the process of a pregame again. I felt a little emotional, thinking, ‘This is happening. I’m back out here.’ You’ve just got to enjoy it.”

Jones didn’t look limited physically, and wasted no time getting on the field. He was sent out on the second play of the game, and consistently showed the strength and quickness for which he’s known. The biggest difference was where Jones lined up. He took plenty of snaps at his natural right defensive end position, but also played inside for a number of snaps next to Akeem Ayers, who joined the Patriots through a trade after Jones was injured in the Jets game Oct. 16.

Video: Emotional return for Chandler Jones

It was Ayers’s first game experience with Jones.

“We rotated a couple of series at defensive end, and having a tackle going against both of us, it’s a challenge,’’ said Ayers, who had one tackle for a loss. “One series he’s going against Chandler, then one series he’s going against me, and then when we’re both in there together, we can do all types of stunts and cause a lot of confusion. It’s going to be real good for us, especially after a couple of games, and we find out what works for us and what doesn’t.”

Jones had his first sack against Tannehill in the fourth quarter, on a blindside hit that popped the ball loose.

The fumble was recovered by Dolphins tackle Ja’Wuan James. Jones then shared a sack with Dont’a Hightower on Miami’s final offensive play of the game.

“It felt good, first sack back. I was wishing we could have recovered it, but it felt real good to help the team,” Jones said. “When you’re on the field, when you’re in between those lines, there’s no 70 or 80 percent. You have to go 110 every time. I felt like if I didn’t have the ability to go 110 percent, I shouldn’t be out there. I was going 110 percent every play.”

> http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/12/14/patriots-chandler-jones-plays-like-never-left/a8hEyVp9LFDHSM48C7TXTP/story.html

Whichever side of the debate you were on Sunday -- the pragmatists (mostly fans) who hoped the Jets would lose or the idealists (mostly coaches and players) who hoped to win -- the victory over the Titans settled the matter.

The Jets no longer have a plausible hope of landing the No. 1 overall pick in the 2015 draft and thus no longer have any good reason to lose before scattering into an uncertain offseason

• So in recognition of the Jets' new reality, let's all agree on this:

The best hope for a dollop of late-season drama rests on an upset of the Patriots on Sunday, which would be a perfect send-off for Rex Ryan in what presumably will be his final home game as the Jets' coach.

Does the guy deserve to be dispatched to TV Land after a fourth consecutive playoff-free season, capped by this year's mess? Yup.

But after six seasons of reliably entertaining us, Ryan also deserves a grand finale against his AFC East tormentors and the coach whose rings he long ago promised not to kiss.

His players undoubtedly feel that way. That was evident in the visiting locker room after Sunday's win, when veteran offensive tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson presented Ryan a game ball as owner Woody Johnson and general manager John Idzik looked on in the background.

Watching that locker-room scene was a reminder that for all the analysis that reporters and fans did about what it would take for the Jets to fall below the Mariota Line, none of that mattered to the guys in green -- nor should it have.

At least Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt secretly had reason to hope for a loss; he is in his first year and not going anywhere. But Ryan is more likely to spend draft day working for ESPN than J-E-T-S.

First things first, though. There is one bit of business left to attend to before Ryan bids Gotham adieu.Enter Bill Belichick and his Patriots, who have secured yet another division title but have to keep winning to avoid a visit to Peyton Manning's house in late January.

The Jets beating the Patriots in a game they want and perhaps need would only add to the deliciousness for Ryan.

"No matter the records,'' Jets quarterback Geno Smith said, "this is an important game for everyone."

More so for one person than others.

Ryan would not bite when asked Monday if winning this one would mean more given the circumstances. "It's just another game," he said, "but it is against the Patriots, so it's special."

When someone mentioned the highlights of his rivalry with Belichick, Ryan said, "Oh, I don't know about highlights; it's probably been more lowlights."

Ryan is 3-8 against the Pats in the regular season and has lost seven of his last eight, including a 27-25 decision at Gillette Stadium this season.

But there was that playoff game after the 2010 season, when the Jets avenged a 45-3 regular-season rout with a 28-21 victory and went on to their second AFC Championship Game in a row.

That seems like ancient history now for Ryan, while Belichick and Tom Brady just keep rolling along. Throwing up a roadblock in Week 16 would be a heck of a way to bow out of the New York-area sports scene.

"That's the biggest guy and you like to go up against the very best and that's who he is," Ryan said of Belichick. "So I like that. I like getting that opportunity, but obviously I haven't been near successful as I would've liked."

The Pats are heavy favorites. The Jets have nothing to lose, and no longer have much to gain from losing.

So why not win?

Said Ryan: "I am looking forward to this one."

> http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/neil-best/jets-going-all-out-to-beat-the-patriots-now-that-s-something-we-all-can-agree-on-1.9717825

Every Tuesday on ESPNBoston.com, questions from Patriots followers are answered as part of a weekly mailbag. This week's mailbag has been posted and includes some of the following topics:

1. Rex Ryan has been a good sparring partner for Bill Belichick in the Jets-Patriots rivalry.

2. Cornerback Brandon Browner leads the Patriots with 15 penalties; how much of a concern is this?

3. The Patriots' performance at the end of the first half and identifying some of the reasons for recent struggles.

4. Jonas Gray and LeGarrette Blount -- a feel for the running back position going forward. Also, the future of Shane Vereen (entering final year of contract) with the club.

5. Weighing the merits of other teams in the AFC that could present some issues for the Patriots in the playoffs.

6. Why would the Patriots strongly pursue the idea of signing quarterback David Fales off the Bears' practice squad?

> http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4774418/weekly-patriots-mail-is-delivered-184

Commentary

Jets matchup good prep for Pats Let's not pump the tires of a 3-11 team, but Rex's bunch is a decent sparring partner

-- This is a week to reflect a bit on some of the Patriots-Jets games over the past six years, as Bill Belichick has matched wits with Rex Ryan. Ryan's future as Jets coach is on shaky ground, his team now 3-11, and Sunday could mark their last head-to-head matchup.

The Ryan dynamic is an interesting one to me here in New England, as I sense a level of respect for him among Patriots followers. Some emailers to the mailbag, in the past, have even wondered about the possibility of him one day joining Belichick's coaching staff (that won't be happening).

Meanwhile, Tom Brady often makes the point that Ryan's defenses are traditionally some of the toughest he has to prepare against.

Let's get to the questions:

Q. Mike, do you think Brandon Browner's penalties will be a liability in the playoffs? The refs are definitely watching him extra-close, and I can't see him getting the benefit of the doubt on any call. If I'm an opponent, I'm throwing the ball his way just about every time, especially if I'm trailing late in a game, simply because it seems there is a 50-50 chance it draws a penalty. To me, this is kind of like Hack-A-Shaq. He's one of your best players, but can you afford to leave him in on a critical late-game play? -- Keith (Foxborough, Massachusetts)

A. This is a good topic, Keith. Browner had three penalties Sunday and easily could have had a fourth. I thought they were all legitimate penalties, as there was illegal contact prior to the throw on the one that I initially thought was uncatchable on the sideline. Browner has 15 penalties in eight games this season, easily a team high. I think you are balancing two things here -- you don't want to take away his aggressiveness, that's what makes him who he is, but you have to be careful that it doesn't cost you a game. Prior to this past week, it was my belief that some of those calls were "reputation-based" and if he had a No. 24 on the back of his jersey, maybe 4-5 of them aren't called. But this past week was different. I don't think we're at a point that the coaching staff is thinking of removing Browner, but I do think it's a fair issue to bring up and monitor. It's a fine line there.

Q. While New England still "runs the East," it travels to MetLife Stadium to play the New York Jets this week. I feel the Patriots are coming full circle at the right time and will come out victorious. But even at 3-11, this Jets team could prepare the Patriots for the postseason. The Jets can still run pretty well and have a mobile quarterback in Geno Smith. On defense, they have one of the better front-sevens against both the run and pass. All these have given New England problems this season and will likely run into these teams in January/February. Add in the fact this is a road game against a divisional opponent who is playing for their coach, it could potentially provide a playoff atmosphere. Thoughts? -- Alvin (Amherst, Massachusetts)

A. Alvin, I don't think the atmosphere will be playoff-like, but you're absolutely right in the sense that every game is a tuneup for the postseason and valuable lessons are always learned along the way. I'm not going to pump the Jets' tires -- they're 3-11 for a reason -- but one only needs to look back at the Week 7 game between the teams to see that the Jets played well enough to win. Anything can happen in this league. If you let your guard down, prepare to be beaten. In that sense, this game reminds me a little bit of the Week 16 game at Jacksonville in the 2012 season. It can be tough to get up for these games, so it can really test a team's mental toughness.

Q. Any chance the Pats take the Jets lightly this week? You can be sure Rex will have the Jets fired up and ready to spoil the Pats' path to the home field advantage. I think this game is a gut check for the mental focus of the Pats. They should start fast and not give the Jets a reason to think they can upset the Pats. -- Scott (Charlotte, North Carolina)

A. I don't think they take them lightly, Scott, and the main reason is that most of the Patriots players were here on Oct. 16 when the Jets took them right down to the wire. I mean, you live through that experience, doesn't that produce immediate respect? The Jets played very well that night and Ryan often seems to bring out the best in his team against New England.

Q. Hi Mike, why is it that the Pats can never seem to finish the first half of games strong? Whether it is an untimely pick or letting up a big score downfield, the Pats seem to make mistakes to allow the opposition to gain momentum at the half. Is there a specific reason in their play/coaching or is it just a coincidence? -- Al (Worcester, Massachusetts)

A. Al, I'd have to look at each situation to have an informed opinion on the big-picture reasons for any struggles, but specific to this last game it started with a missed block on first down by center Bryan Stork. That draw play by Shane Vereen had a chance to produce something promising if that block on linebacker Philip Wheeler is made, and then the whole situation changes; maybe you're quickly into the two-minute attack and you're putting the pressure on the opposition. The punt coverage was also poor, and one could also make the case that Ryan Allen should have punted that ball out of bounds (points to coaching). And then you just tip your cap to Ryan Tannehill, Mike Wallace and the Dolphins for the touchdown -- great play.

Q. Mike, enjoying the ride immensely this year. I'm curious about your take on the touchdown pass to Wallace at the end of the first half. How could the Pats not have had multiple safeties lined up at the goal line and cornerbacks protecting the boundary, given that the Dolphins only had 11 seconds to work with and no timeouts? -- John (Acton, Massachusetts)

A. Real good question, John. The Patriots had two safeties deep (Devin McCourty and Duron Harmon) and the Dolphins ran four vertical routes -- one essentially up each sideline and then two to the inside part of the field. The two safeties were put in a tough spot there. Probably safe to say that's a coverage/personnel package they'd like to have back. One less player in the box and one more on the back end, with a different coverage call, could have helped avoid that. You're also protecting against the quick pass and field goal there, so I'm sure that was part of the consideration.

Q. I noticed that the Patriots have been throwing to the "big" backs more lately, which makes sense to me since defenses know there is a 90 percent chance the Pats will throw with Vereen in the game. I'm thinking Vereen is on his way out of town after the season given the contract situation. What do you think? -- Bob (Coventry, Rhode Island)

A. Bob, in this last game against the Dolphins, we saw LeGarrette Blount (2) and Jonas Gray (1) each show up on the receiving stat sheet, which was a bit unusual. They were more check-down options, as I saw it, and that was probably tied to the team playing with more run-based personnel but trying to throw on the Dolphins' base defense. Sort of a game plan thing more than a big-picture change in approach. So I see it as unrelated to the future of Vereen with the team. Based on the club's history of retaining running backs in recent years (e.g. outbid by Chargers for Danny Woodhead, outbid initially by the Steelers for Blount), I don't think anyone would be surprised if Vereen joins that list.

Q. Will the Patriots re-sign Vereen? He knows the offense and is familiar with Brady. He has been overthrown on the wheel route several times, much like Brian Tyms and others on deep routes. He is a good blocker in blitz pick-up. He might be hard to replace. -- Mike (Canton, Ohio)

A. Mike, Vereen is a top-notch locker room guy, one of the real professionals from my viewpoint. He'd help any team and I agree that his blitz pickup is an often overlooked aspect of his game; it showed up Sunday against the Dolphins with a couple of excellent pickups. As for the future, I expect the Patriots will set their number and stick to it, and if another team is willing to go further, the sides could part ways. By drafting James White in the fourth round this year, it's a succession plan if that's the way it unfolds. Easy to forget that Vereen himself, like White, hardly played in his rookie year.

Q. Hi Mike, why was Jonas Gray more effective than Blount on Sunday? Was this simply because of better execution by the OL in the second half, different scheme (e.g. more James Develin), or did Gray hit the hole quicker or better in some way? It seems likely that Gray will be more involved in the mix going forward, but would you say Blount is still the "primary" big back? -- Matt (California)

A. Matt, I thought Gray hit the hole quicker and that's what they needed in this game. It wasn't like the run blocking was all of a sudden that much better; Gray still had a 1-yard loss on his second carry as things got stacked up in the middle. The Patriots, as we saw Sunday, will ride the hot hand. I think that means Gray and Blount are now closer to even footing at this point, but that can fluctuate quickly as we've seen.

Q. I can't remember hearing Gray's name on special teams much this year, but I saw him make a tackle in the second quarter. Is he new to this unit or have I not been paying attention? Might this contribute to him getting back in the field? -- Craig (Weehawken, New Jersey)

A. Real sharp observation, Craig. Gray's role on special teams has expanded the last few weeks. Against the Lions on Nov. 23, he wasn't on any top units. But against the Packers the next week, we saw him show up on the kickoff return unit (front line). On Dec. 7 against the Chargers, Gray was on kickoff coverage, punt return and kickoff return, and then he was on a couple of units against Miami as well. What's the fastest way out of Belichick's doghouse? One could say a willingness to get hands dirty on special teams is close to the top of the list.

Q. Hi Mike, it was good to see Josh McDaniels not overthinking in the red zone as he had in the Chargers and Packers games. Respecting and using the run game and allowing power running backs to do what they are trained to do exemplified by Blount's play and later Gray's. More run and less thoughts. Your thoughts? -- Jake (Vancouver)

A. Jake, we touched on this a little bit last week, the idea of maybe simplifying things a bit in the red zone and letting that power running game do its thing. That was good, specific to Blount. At the same time, I think it's important to point out that some of the other red-zone plays are "run-pass" checks, which means that if quarterback Tom Brady sees something pre-snap, he has the flexibility to change the call. My assumption is that's exactly what happened on Vereen's 3-yard touchdown run. Brady saw the double coverage on tight end Rob Gronkowski, who was split out wide to the right, saw favorable numbers in the box, and checked to the run. So we can't really have it both ways -- sometimes those checks work, sometimes they don't.

Q. Mike, could you clarify a play? Right before the half, a Dolphins punt returner ran out of bounds without being touched and was the first player to touch the ball. I thought no player could run out of bounds on his own, then make a play. Is that only for receivers on passing plays? I tried to search the rulebooks but couldn't find that situation. Not illegal touching? Thanks! -- Craig (Weehawken, New Jersey)

A. Craig, I thought CBS analyst Dan Fouts explained it well, as it was something I was initially curious about as well. If the member of the receiving team of a punt goes out of bounds, doesn't re-establish himself in the field of play, and then is the first to possess the ball, the play is immediately dead. That's obviously different from if a player from the coverage team does that.

Q. Hi Mike, I know you've said that you have some fear for the Patriots if they end up facing the Ravens in the playoffs, and I've heard some analysts mention the Steelers in the same way, but I wonder whether you may be overestimating them. The AFC North drew the AFC and NFC South this year, the two worst divisions in the NFL. The Colts are the only good team out of those 8 games, so I think the records of the Ravens, Steelers and Bengals (all of whom may end up in the playoffs) are inflated. I don't think any of them are as good as their records seem to show. And so far, except for the Steelers' win over the Colts, those teams have lost every other game to the other division leaders and teams that are realistically in the wild card hunt. This is the NFL, so anything can happen in any game, but I think you're paying way too much respect to the teams in the AFC North. -- Jack (Denton, Texas)

A. I think that's fair, Jack. I'm going to shoot at you straight, as I always do, and tell you that I've probably seen a total of two Ravens games. And each time, I was really focusing more on the other team, such as last week with Miami, which had played Baltimore the week before visiting the Patriots. So this is not a very informed opinion. For context, I was asked which team the Patriots might want to avoid, and my response was something like this: "I don't think the Patriots need to avoid anyone, but in terms of teams that I think wouldn't be intimidated by coming to Foxborough, and would play a tough game, I'd say Baltimore."

Q. Hey Mike, I had noticed an article from Chicago about the Bears signing rookie quarterback David Fales from their practice squad to their active roster. The interesting part was that it was spurred by the Patriots "pushing" to sign Fales. Any insight on why the Pats would be that interested? Seems like a third quarterback on the active roster is not a necessity. -- Michael (Las Vegas)

A. Michael, I view it as similar to the team drafting Jimmy Garoppolo in the late second round this year. When it comes to positional value, quarterback trumps all. If you don't have a player at that position, you put the entire team at risk, and if the Patriots see promise in a prospect, there shouldn't be hesitation. This is also the time of year when teams start planning for the future by poaching some players from practice squads. From an overall perspective, maybe the best example I could pass along is that in 2000, the Patriots decided to keep four quarterbacks on their roster because they saw promise in a No. 4 option. That Brady guy turned out to be pretty good.

> http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/page/reissmailbagweek1216/new-england-patriots-mailbag-new-york-jets-matchup-good-prep-patriots

Same old Patriots.

It's late December, and the New England Patriots already have the AFC East locked up. On Sunday, they can clinch homefield advantage throughout the playoffs with a win over the New York Jets and a Denver Broncos loss. Since their Monday-night blowout in late September, the Patriots have won nine out of 10.They visit MetLife Stadium for the Jets' final home game. Consider the matchup: The Patriots have won as many games this season as the Jets have won over the last two -- 11.

Let's take a closer look at the Patriots:

Record: 11-3

Coach: Bill Belichick (210-108, 174-64 with the Patriots)

Offensive coordinator: Josh McDaniels

Defensive coordinator: Matt Patricia

THREE PLAYERS TO KNOW, OFFENSE

Tom Brady, quarterback -- Julian Edelman called him "Brady Vick" after last week's win over the Miami Dolphins, a reference to Brady's game-changing, 17-yard scramble in the third quarter -- his longest run in seven years. No, the Jets won't have to tweak the game plan to account for Brady's mobility. They're more concerned with his arm, his brain and his heart. He's 19-5 against the Jets with a 91.6 passer rating.

Rob Gronkowski, tight end -- He wasn't a huge factor in the first meeting (five catches for 68 yards), but Gronk has been on fire in recent weeks. Last week, he became the first tight end in Patriots history to record two 1,000-yard seasons. When Brady needs a big completion, it's no secret where he looks. Gronkowski has 121 targets.

Brandon LaFell, wide receiver -- What a great free-agent pick up for the Patriots. For a moderately priced contract (three years, $9 million), the Patriots have a reliable red zone target. LaFell has 63 catches for 819 and seven touchdowns, including five in the red zone -- all career highs.

THREE PLAYERS TO KNOW, DEFENSE

Darrelle Revis, cornerback -- The former Jets great won't need an introduction at MetLife Stadium, where he returned last season as a member of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. This is a different deal, though, because he plays for the Jets' top rival. Revis is having a very good year, but he has allowed some long completions and two touchdowns, according to Pro Football Focus. A Revis pick-6 would be a cruel, yet fitting final dagger for the Jets.

Chandler Jones, defensive end -- He injured a hip against the Jets and didn't return until last week -- and he came back strong, with 1.5 sacks. Jones already has 23.5 sacks in three seasons, one of the fastest starts in Patriots' history. The Jets passed on Jones in the first round of the 2012 draft t0 take Quinton Coples.

Brandon Browner, cornerback -- Browner, who missed the first four games due to a suspension, played only 37 snaps in the first meeting. Now he's an every-down player -- and a penalty machine. He has committed 15 penalties, a league high for cornerbacks, according to Pro Football Focus. Look for an Browner-Eric Decker matchup.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/47383/getting-to-know-the-patriots-2

Stat check: Patriots at Jets

A look at the 11-3 New England Patriots in our weekly "stat check" while also bringing this week's opponent, the 3-11 New York Jets, into the discussion:

Points per game

This week: First (31.5)

Last week: Third (30.8)

Last season: Third (27.75)

Jets in 2014: 30th (16.4)

Points allowed per game

This week: Eighth (20.0)

Last week: Ninth (20.5)

Last season: 10th (21.12)

Jets in 2014: 24th (25.7)

Third-down offense

This week: Sixth (87 of 193, 45.1 percent)

Last week: Seventh (79 of 180, 43.9 percent)

Last season: 16th (83 of 221, 37.6 percent)

Jets in 2014: 21st (80 of 207, 38.6 percent)

Third-down defense

This week: 16th (74 of 185, 40.0 percent)

Last week: 20th (71 of 169, 42.0 percent)

Last season: 26th (98 of 232, 42.2 percent)

Jets in 2014: 31st (89 of 193, 46.1 percent)

Turnover differential

This week: Fourth (plus-11, 23 takeaways, 12 giveaways)

Last week: Tied-third (plus-10, 21 takeaways, 11 giveaways)

Last season: Eighth (plus-9, 29 takeaways, 20 giveaways)

Jets in 2014: 31st (minus-11, 11 takeaways, 22 giveaways)

Red zone offense (based on TD percentage)

This week: Seventh (37 of 59)

Last week: Seventh (34 of 54)

Last season: 15th (36 of 65)

Jets in 2014: Tied-29th (16 of 39)

Red zone defense (based on TD percentage)

This week: Ninth (20 of 41)

Last week: 12th (20 of 38)

Last season: 16th (28 of 50)

Jets in 2014: 25th (26 of 43)

> http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4774479/stat-check-patriots-at-jets

Rex Ryan's Jets Still Miss Darrelle Revis

ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini says it's only fitting that Darrelle Revis and the Patriots visit Sunday for what likely will be Rex Ryan's final home game. Losing Revis coincided with a dramatic downturn for Ryan's Jets.

video...

> http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12039049

just an fyi...

~ ~ Leftovers from Tuesday’s conference calls with Patriots coach Bill Belichick, offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels and defensive coordinator Matt Patricia:

On seeing Harvin for first time. In the first matchup between the Jets and Patriots, the Jets had yet to acquire wide receiver Percy Harvin. Harvin, one of the NFL’s more dynamic and explosive players presents problems for any defense he faces.

“I think he’s definitely, he is a weapon and they’ve used him as a weapon,” Belichick said. “They’ve handed him the ball a number of times. He’s certainly a threat as a receiver, so he can go down the field and get behind the defense. He can carry the ball on outside plays like reverses and speed sweeps and things like that. He’s also very dangerous on catch-and-run plays like under-routes and slip-screens and those type of things. They move him around in different spots, so you don’t know exactly where he’s going to be.”

Blount vs. Gray. The Patriots have two bruisers for running backs with LeGarrette Blount and Jonas Gray. McDaniels touched on the differences between the two backs and the decision-making process on who to utilize more.

“There are a lot of variables here -- experience -- LeGarrette has certainly obviously played in more games, which is a little bit of a difference,” McDaniels said. “I think LeGarrette is bigger than Jonas. Jonas, in terms of the way they read things and those kinds of things, I think it’s similar. They’ve played in different packages in our offense in the last few weeks here just because that’s kind of the way we’ve created the game plan, whether it’s more base runs or more sub runs for one of them or the other, shotgun, under center -- those kinds of things. We try to make a decision as the week goes. They’re both obviously capable of carrying the ball on early downs and are doing a good job with it.”

On the group aspect of the secondary. With almost all of the focus on Darrelle Revis and Brandon Browner in the Patriots’ secondary, it’s important to note that other players such as Devin McCourty, Patrick Chung, Duron Harmon and company are making plays for the defense.

“I think week-in, week-out we always make a point of emphasis on the entire defense,” Patricia said. “I think for us it’s about collectively as a group trying to improve, trying to get better. I think week-in, week-out it’s going to be different players that are going to have opportunities to step up and make plays. When that happens and when that opportunity presents itself you’ve got to be prepared and ready to go and put yourself in a good position to make plays. I think as a defense as a whole we’ve had guys contribute in different ways all throughout the year and hopefully we can just continue developing that way and continue to grow the defense and to getting better each week.”

Jets are trying to control games. The Jets may be 3-11, but they have been in some tight games the past three weeks as they have placed a high emphasis on the run game and clock-management.

“I think the Jets obviously are doing a great job right now of controlling games,” Patricia said. “They are trying to put themselves into a tight game every week, where now the game is going down to the last possession or the last couple of possessions where they have a chance to win. I think they are certainly doing a great job at the run game. They are the number two rushing team in the league. So, they’ve certainly done an excellent job there of getting different ways to gain yards.”

> http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4774431/quick-hits-from-belichick-coordinators

Patriots-based thoughts from Rex Ryan

-- Few coaches, if any, draw as large of a crowd for a conference call as Rex Ryan of the New York Jets. With about 20 reporters gathered around the speakerphone here at Gillette Stadium, Ryan called in for the standard weekly opponent call at 10:45 a.m. ET.

Here are some of the notable topics related to the New England Patriots:

Patriots' defense has changed since Oct. 16. Ryan made the point that the Patriots look different defensively from when the teams met Oct. 16. He touched on the Patriots bringing in a "couple big guys" since that point (presumably referring to defensive tackle Alan Branch and defensive end Akeem Ayers) while also pointing out "a lot of different coverages that they haven't played in the past that they're playing now." Asked later about those coverages, Ryan said there are different things a team can do in man coverage and that's what he was referring to.

Thoughts on the Patriots-Jets rivalry. Asked his place in the New England-New York rivalry, Ryan said he had no idea. Then he re-directed, saying, "We all know what's getting ready to happen in this game. We know that both teams give their maximum effort against each other. I don't think each team particularly likes each other. It's on. Regardless of what the record is. We could be playing for first place or whatever, it's the same effort always. It's usually a close game and it's usually a physical game."

More on the Patriots. While Ryan and the Jets don't like the Patriots, there is respect. "They always have it -- six years in a row that they've won the division. You're a little envious, I guess. It's what it is -- they're the ones you chase. We respect them a great deal -- they're led by a Hall of Fame quarterback and a Hall of Fame coach. So they're hard to beat and we recognize that, but that doesn't mean that we'll take our rightful place underneath them. That's not going to happen. We're here to beat them. That's our mentality every time we play them. They're going to get our best shot and we're going to get theirs; we understand that about each other."

Not going to gush about Revis. The opening question of the conference call was on cornerback Darrelle Revis, with Ryan asked to speak about what he's seen from Revis this season. "No," Ryan answered, before pausing and adding, "I'm just going to go with 'yes' and 'no' answers the whole time. Just kidding." While Ryan lauded Revis, when asked if he was worthy of MVP consideration, Ryan also stopped short of saying too much while citing the possibility of being charged with tampering. "If I comment on him, then I'll get in trouble [for] commenting on somebody else's players. I'll just say he's an excellent player and let the experts figure out where he belongs in the discussion."

How tough this season has been on him. When Ryan was asked how tough the season has been on him given "some of the things swirling about what's going on inside the team," he responded, "Anything that's swirling around inside our team, I'm proud of this team. We've got nothing (in terms of issues). Some guys' reports are probably as far off as any I've ever seen. This team is tight. Our record is the only thing that stinks. We have a great group of guys that care, that prepare, practice hard. It's obviously unfortunate that our record is what it is. But it has nothing to do with the type of character in this room."

Thoughts on competing against Bill Belichick twice a year the last six seasons. Asked how much he's relished matching X's and O's and wits with Belichick, Ryan said, "I don't know how I've fared that way with him, but as a competitor, you like facing the best. That's what he is. Obviously I like doing that, just like any competitor would. I obviously wish I had more success against him, but they do a tremendous job in all phases of the game. They're a really well-coached football team, and his assistant coaches are outstanding as well, and they've been around a long time with him. Obviously, it's a huge challenge. As a competitor, absolutely I enjoy the preparation and the battles against him."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4774494/patriots-based-thoughts-from-rex-ryan

-- Even though the New York Jets are in the cellar of the AFC East with a 3-11 record, New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick knows how tough Rex Ryan's teams play against New England.

"It seems like quite a while since we've played the Jets," Belichick said during his news conference on Wednesday. "Jets are playing well, they're a very competitive football team. They're in every game, they've been in a lot of tight games.

"Seems like every game comes down to the last possession kind of like it did with us, like a lot of our games with them have in four of the last five times we've played them."

Flashback to Week 7, when the Patriots beat the Jets by just two points -- a 27-25 victory sealed by defensive lineman Chris Jones' blocked field goal as time expired.

The previous four meetings between these two teams have been decided by three points or less, with two of those games being decided in overtime. The last time a team won by more than three points was on Nov. 22, 2012, when the Patriots beat the Jets, 49-19.

"We'll see how it goes against the Jets," Belichick said. "We've played other teams and different matchups and all that. The Jets are pretty healthy, they had one change on their offensive line but the rest of those guys have all started 14 games. They've had pretty good consistency at tight end. The running backs are very good. The quarterback's a good runner. We'll see whether we can improve against the Jets in the running game. That's what we need to do."

In addition to a strong run game (they rank second in the NFL in rushing yards per game at 147.1), the Jets also stop the run better than most NFL teams as they rank fourth in opponents' rushing yards per game (87.5).

"Defensively strong front, good at stopping the run," Belichick said. "Physical pass rush team, those front seven guys don't come off the field too much. They're used in a lot less nickel and dime than we've ever seen. They try to keep those guys on the field as much as possible so they're a pretty disruptive group."

The Patriots may have locked up the AFC East, but these final two games against the Jets and Bills have major implications as the Patriots are vying for home-field advantage throughout the playoffs.

Considering the history of Ryan's Jets playing the Patriots tightly, Belichick needs his team to play better than in the past.

"This will be a big week for us and I think we need to play better than we did the last time we played them," Belichick said. "I think that will be good enough. Barely was good enough last time but it'd be good enough this time."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4774486/belichick-getting-ready-for-jets-best-shot

Every Tuesday on ESPNBoston.com, questions from Patriots followers are answered as part of a weekly mailbag. This week's mailbag has been posted and includes some of the following topics:

1. Rex Ryan has been a good sparring partner for Bill Belichick in the Jets-Patriots rivalry.

2. Cornerback Brandon Browner leads the Patriots with 15 penalties; how much of a concern is this?

3. The Patriots' performance at the end of the first half and identifying some of the reasons for recent struggles.

4. Jonas Gray and LeGarrette Blount -- a feel for the running back position going forward. Also, the future of Shane Vereen (entering final year of contract) with the club.

5. Weighing the merits of other teams in the AFC that could present some issues for the Patriots in the playoffs.

6. Why would the Patriots strongly pursue the idea of signing quarterback David Fales off the Bears' practice squad?

> http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4774418/weekly-patriots-mail-is-delivered-184

Nice job compiling these, Kelly.  For me, the bolded above stuck out.

The Patriots have Tom Brady at QB.  They're set at the position.  Yet they continue to seek out QB talent because they understand how important it is.  

Last year they drafted Jimmy Garrapallo in the second round.  A couple years before that it was Ryan Mallet, drafted in the third round, who was jettisoned earlier this year to Houston for a late-round pick.  

The fact that they are still scouring the NFL (and its practice squads) tells me that they have talent evaluators who take their job seriously, and that they understand what it means to be successful in this league.  Instead of resting on their laurels until injury strikes, they are being proactive in keeping a healthy roster packed with depth.  Unlike us, instead of altering their entire offense behind a running game and gadget plays, they are still looking at the David Fales' of the league.  So while we practice our double-reverse WR screens with players who might not be here next year, the Patriots will have back-up plans for their back-up plans.  

That's why they'll be playing football in a month, and we'll still be grumbling about our coaching staff. 

Back in the day, it was called the Border War. This time it will be more like the Border Snore -- at least in terms of the overall stakes.

It means something to the New England Patriots (11-3), who can clinch home-field advantage in the playoffs, but it's strictly a pride game for the New York Jets (3-11). That said, it's Patriots-Jets, which means there's always intriguing subtext. The main storylines are Rex Ryan's final home game, presumably, and Darrelle Revis' return.

NFL Nation reporters Mike Reiss, who covers the Patriots, and Rich Cimini, who covers the Jets, discuss the matchup.

Cimini: Bill Belichick has faced Ryan more often than any AFC East coach. They’re polar opposites in terms of personality and coaching style, so I’m wondering: If you could inject Belichick with truth serum, what do you think he’d say about Ryan?

Reiss: Reading Belichick’s mind is sometimes as difficult as a quarterback trying to get a read on Ryan’s spin-the-dial defensive schemes when Rex is at his best (e.g., the 28-21 road playoff victory over the Patriots in the 2010 season). But I’ll take a shot at it. I think Belichick has a pretty good feel for him personally after having his brother, Rob, on his staff in the early 2000s and I think he respects him as a defensive coach and a competitor. This hasn’t been the Harlem Globetrotters against the Washington Generals over the past six years; Ryan has given the Patriots quite a bit to handle. Now, if that truth serum were a really strong dose, I might envision a scenario in which Belichick rolls his eyes at some of the bravado and says something like: This has been very similar, both on and off the field, to coaching against his father Buddy back in the day. Like father, like son.

Consecutive years the Patriots have won the AFC East, which ties for the second-longest division championship streak in NFL history behind the Los Angeles Rams (1973-79). In addition, the Patriots are the first team to win 11 division titles in a 12-year span.

The Jets' league ranking in points allowed without Darrelle Revis -- dating to Week 3, 2012, his final game as a Jet. The Jets ranked fifth during Revis' time with Rex Ryan.

Ryan talked about not coming into the AFC East to kiss Bill Belichick’s rings. How would you sum up what he has accomplished in the past six seasons?

Cimini: You're right. Ryan was full of bravado when he arrived in 2009, vowing to tilt the balance of power in the division. It hasn't worked out the way he planned, as the Jets have finished as also-rans every year. I really thought they had a chance to close the gap on the Patriots after beating them in the 2010 divisional playoffs, the Jets' biggest victory since Super Bowl III, but Ryan & Co. slid back down the mountain. Ryan is 4-8 against the Patriots, plus that memorable postseason win -- not a very good showing. But Ryan has fared better than his predecessors, and I think that should count for something. He gave it his "best shot," as he likes to say, but he's had the misfortune of being in a division with arguably the greatest coach-quarterback tandem in history.

The site of Revis in a Patriots uniform probably will nauseate many Jets fans. So what do you think: Will Revis stick around beyond this year, or will he chase the money elsewhere?

Reiss: The Patriots are going to take their best shot to re-sign him, and my viewpoint has been that if New England is competitive with the best offers from a total dollars, structure and guaranteed-money standpoint, they will have the tiebreaker edge based on the positive experience that Revis has had in 2014. But they have a team philosophy as it relates to the salary cap that is extremely disciplined, and it’s hard for me to see them blowing that up for one player if the bidding gets to extremely high levels. As for Revis, I would expect him to attempt to maximize his financial opportunity, but I don’t sense that he would “chase the money” if it meant landing in a place that he viewed as being similar to a 2014-Oakland-Raiders-type sitaution. So there’s a balance there. In the end, it’s impossible to answer this question without knowing what the market will dictate. One interesting aspect to it would be if Ryan is let go by the Jets, lands with a new team as head coach, and that team makes a big run at Revis. That would certainly affect the market for Revis and potentially make it tougher for the Patriots to re-sign him.

Few saw 3-11 as where the Jets would be. How would you sum up what has led to this?

Cimini: It's pretty simple, and I'm going to break out another Ryan quote to illustrate my point. He always says the two positions that can win (or lose) games faster than any others are quarterback and cornerback -- and the Jets lost a bunch of games because of poor play at those spots. General manager John Idzik mismanaged the cornerback position in the offseason, leaving his head coach with a thin and talent-deprived unit. To play his scheme, Ryan needs man-to-man corners the way humans need water and oxygen. At quarterback, Geno Smith hasn't developed as well as they had hoped, throwing the offense out of whack. They've been operating with a small margin for error, hurting them in close games. They're 3-6 in games decided by eight points or fewer.

For the Jets to pull off the upset, they have to play their best game of the year and “hope something is missing” from the Patriots, according to Ryan. What could possibly be missing for them?

Reiss: We saw it Oct. 16, when the Jets came into the Patriots’ home stadium and nearly pulled off the upset -- shoddy tackling on defense, and a time-of-possession edge for the Jets of 40:54 to 19:06. If the Patriots can’t stop the running game, that would be one ingredient that could produce a carbon copy of what we saw in mid-October, and maybe this time the Jets could pull off the victory. The other thing that comes to mind is shaky play by the offensive line, which has had some ups and downs in recent weeks. If the Jets can get to quarterback Tom Brady early and capitalize on some of the O-line miscues we’ve seen, that would be another area they could have an edge.

A win over the Patriots would mean a lot to Rex Ryan and this team. What are the key areas you see that could help the Jets spring the upset?

Cimini: Basically, this is the Jets' playoff game -- and, yes, I do think they have a chance to win. It would take a ball-control offense and a plus number in the turnover margin. As the Jets proved in the previous meeting, it takes more 200 rushing yards and a 40-minute possession time to knock off the Patriots. They need a couple of field position-changing plays, either on offense or defense or special teams -- or all of the above. The X factor could be Percy Harvin, who didn't play in the first game. That could depend on the condition of his sprained ankle. He didn't do much last week. If they can get a big play or two out of him, the Jets might have a chance.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/47391/new-england-patriots-vs-new-york-jets

-- The best player of the Rex Ryan era is coming to town this weekend for what probably will be the final home game of the coach's tenure. If life were a storybook, Ryan and Darrelle Revis still would be together, the mad-scientist coach and the shutdown corner combining their unique talents to disarm opposing offenses.

As we all know, Revis was ripped from Ryan's arms two years ago and now, given the sad state of the New York Jets, it's fashionable to play the blame game: Who ran Revis out of town?

Was it owner Woody Johnson? How about Johnson's general manager? John Idzik, the human pinata, gets blamed for everything, so it's easy to throw him under the bus -- except he's not the reason. The person most responsible for the Revis divorce is Revis.

Revis was all about the money, and his refusal to bend in contract negotiations left the Jets with little choice but to trade him to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2013. He was adamant about a $16 million-a-year deal, and he ended up getting what he wanted from the Bucs, if only for a season. Revis is a terrific businessman, but let's not paint him as the victim in the break-up. For six years, he squeezed as much money out of the Jets as humanly possible -- which is his right -- but it got to a point where the organization got tired of being an ATM.

Johnson, fed up with the contract squabbles, went into the 2013 offseason with a desire to trade his most valuable asset, and he found a GM willing to carry it out. One candidate who interviewed for the GM job, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said Johnson made it clear his preference was to deal Revis to the highest bidder. It was a sound business decision. Revis was coming off major knee surgery and wasn't interested in giving the Jets a hometown discount. The Jets, after a 6-10 season, saw him as a bargaining chip to accelerate the rebuilding process.

Truth be told, Idzik did a good job, extracting a first-round pick for an injured player and using the pick to select Sheldon Richardson -- the GM's one shining moment. Where Idzik may have dropped the ball was last offseason, spurning a potential Revis reunion when the player's people reached out as soon as he was released by the Bucs. I didn't criticize Idzik at the time, assuming he had a legitimate fallback plan to restock the cornerback position. Who knew the plan was Dimitri Patterson?

Naturally, Revis ended up with the New England Patriots, making it worse. Still, the Jets felt they made the right call, saying privately they wanted to stay away from one-year rentals and build with long-term players. It sounded reasonable at the time. Now, of course, they look like fools. They're playing with third-string corners, finishing out one of the worst seasons in franchise history, and Revis could be on his way to the Super Bowl.

"I’m over here, that ship has sailed," Revis said Wednesday, responding to a question about whether he could've helped the Jets. "I missed that boat. I caught the New England Patriots boat"

The real loser is Ryan, who hasn't been the same without his best player. He has coached the same number of games with Revis as without him, and the results aren't close.

From 2009 to 2012, Revis played 47 games with the Jets. They went 27-20 with a defense that ranked fifth in points allowed. In the 47 games without Revis, counting games he missed because of pre-trade injuries, Ryan is 18-29 and the defense is 22nd in points allowed. A better post-Revis plan by Idzik would have helped level the numbers.

The Patriots? For a change, they have a real defense.

"He's had a great season," Ryan said of his former star. "He's playing well, there's no question about that."

He'll never say it because he's a good company man, but Ryan wanted a Revis reunion. In his introductory news conference, Ryan called Revis the best corner in football at a time when no one else was making that claim. Ryan knew what he had, a once-in-a-generation talent. Everything changed on that fateful day in Miami, September, 2012, when Revis wrecked his knee in what became his final game as a Jet.

He could've returned, of course, but this is a business. No one knows that better than Revis.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/47423/darrelle-revis-took-the-money-leaving-rex-ryan-on-an-island

Archived