Free Agent dept. ~ ~ ~

kelly

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though Woody Johnson told the world recently that he'd welcome Darrelle Revis back to the New York Jets in 2015, it still came as a mild surprise Sunday when it was revealed they're expected to pursue the star cornerback if he comes a free agent, as ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported.On Dec. 29, Johnson's comments -- which could get him in hot water with the NFL's tampering police -- were passed off as Woody-speak, an off-the-cuff remark. After all, wasn't this the same owner who, two years ago, was the driving force behind the trade that sent Revis to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers?

Yes, but a lot has changed in two years, and I believe the Jets are serious about bringing Revis Island back to the New York/New Jersey harbor. The climate has changed after two non-winning seasons. The general manager has changed. And Johnson apparently has changed, too.I believe Johnson has recognized that, after two years of being cautious in the offseason, he needs to turn up the aggressiveness to excite his frustrated fan base. Changing regimes does that to a certain degree, but no one will pay to see Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan on Sundays. They need an on-the-field draw and, let's be honest, a franchise quarterback isn't walking through the door anytime soon. Even if they were to draft Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston, it's unlikely he'd play immediately.

That's why I think Johnson is intrigued by the idea of reuniting with Revis, weakening a division rival in the process. Johnson, second-guessing former GM John Idzik, has said he would've pursued Revis last offseason (after he was cut by the Bucs) if he knew he could've signed him for $12 million in 2014, the deal he landed with the New England Patriots.

Technically, Revis is under contract to the Patriots in 2015, but his $25 million cap charge is prohibitive. They have three ptions: Pay him $20 million in 2015. Renegotiate. Release him. If it's the latter, they can always re-sign him. The Patriots want him back, but wanting and getting are two different things when it comes to Revis, who chases the money.

Would Revis consider the Jets? Yes, he would. They'd be a more attractive destination if Rex Ryan still were the coach, but I don't think that would be a deal breaker. Revis likes New York (he almost bought a place in Manhattan before the trade), and the idea of returning to where he started might appeal to him in terms of creating a legacy in one place instead of being remembered as a football vagabond.

But would he leave a perennial contender for a 4-12 team? That would be a tough one, but, again, money talks with Revis.You'd like to believe Johnson isn't calling the shots here, that he's letting Maccagnan make the football decisions, but he's not thinking out of school by coveting Revis. After all, most of the English-speaking world knows the Jets need cornerbacks. They especially need corners to play in Bowles' blitz-heavy scheme.

So let's examine the facts: They need a cornerback. One the best corners could be available. They have a ton of cap space. Seems pretty simple, huh ?

Well, it's never simple with Revis, so don't go to the attic for your old No. 24 jersey just yet. Remember, he has a history of acrimonious negotiations with the Jets. But, for now, just know that Revis Island is showing up on the Jets' radar.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/49038/why-the-jets-are-intrigued-by-a-darrelle-revis-reunion

just an fyi ;

~ ~ The day after the Super Bowl is the first day on which NFL teams are allowed to terminate veteran contracts -- an ugly bit of league business that helps clear salary-cap room for the work these teams need to do to get younger and better. Here's a look at a few New York Giants players who could fall victim this offseason.

DE Mathias Kiwanuka. His $7.45 million cap number is the fourth-highest on the team, and his production simply doesn't justify it. He turns 32 in March, and if the Giants want him back at all (and they may, considering his nine years of service and two Super Bowl rings), he'd have to take a major pay cut. Kiwanuka's likely release would save the Giants $4.825 million against this year's cap. He took a pay cut last year and has restructured a couple of times over the years to help the team. But the bill is due now, and in the NFL, it's the player who pays it, not the team.

LB Jon Beason. One of last year's big free-agent signings could be one of this year's cuts. The fact that Beason has $900,000 of his 2015 salary fully guaranteed could help him, because it's possible the Giants don't want to eat that money. But after a year lost to injury, Beason's $7.367 million cap hit is too heavy. And with another year on the deal after this one, he'll surely be asked to take a pay cut and/or drastically alter his contract. Releasing him would save the Giants more than $3.5 million against the cap, even with the guaranteed money.

DT Cullen Jenkins. He just turned 34 and has one year left on his deal with a $2.917 million cap number. They'd save $2.25 million against the cap if they cut him, though they're not exactly deep at his position and might need to spent at least that much to replace him.

C J.D. Walton. One year left on his two-year deal and a cap hit of $3.625 million. They save $3 million if they cut him, and their long-term plan at center is 2014 second-round pick Weston Richburg.

P Steve Weatherford. A Super Bowl XLVI hero and international fitness celebrity, Weatherford did not have his best year in 2014. Like Kiwanuka, he took a pay cut last year and likely will be asked to do so again if he wants to stay. His cap number is over $3 million, and he has two years left on his deal at about $3.1 million per season.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/160792/looking-at-potential-giants-cap-cuts

• Two years after being traded by the Jets, Darrelle Revis is a Super Bowl champion. Let's put aside the blame game for a moment, and recognize Revis is a tremendous player who landed in the ideal situation. We're talking about a potential Hall of Famer here. He has six Pro Bowls, four All-Pro selections and one Super Bowl ring. If he can play at least six more years, he'll have a Canton-worthy résumé, based on other cornerbacks in the Hall of Fame.
  • The question is, what happens now? Revis will be a free agent if the Patriots decline to exercise a $20 million option (unlikely), and his first team -- the Jets -- are expected to pounce. Get ready for another Revis-filled offseason.

rest of above article :

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/49044/pete-carroll-spiked-again-and-theres-nothing-fake-about-it

Isn't Bohanon coming back from being injured?

No need for 2 fullbacks.

Probably no need for any, but these guys will come at a price that makes them irrelevant.  If they want a FB they should probably sign Conner and have him compete.  He is a good special teamer and will come on a vet min one year contract.

I think we only need to resign John Conner and Damon Harrison... let everyone else go...

What purpose does John Conner serve?  I would rather cut him and reserve a spot for another valued player.  The need for a FB is gone in the NFL imo.

edit: get rid of Bohannan too.  Give me a hybrid TE that can block.  No need for a FB anymore.

What purpose does John Conner serve?  I would rather cut him and reserve a spot for another valued player.  The need for a FB is gone in the NFL imo.

edit: get rid of Bohannan too.  Give me a hybrid TE that can block.  No need for a FB anymore.

I said the same thing earlier 2 tight ends set is what Gailey likes to run in a spread.

That simply isn't true.  Purposes that I'm thinking are: goal line situations, 3rd & short situations, and more importantly special teams my friend, special teams.  Hitting the fullback on a PA pass should always be a considerable play in any offense.  Difficult for most linebackers to have to read the play then cover the FB. 

Rex is in full troll mode. The man is an entertainer.

I like Vereen in FA. The second contract RB thing is slipping a little in the dual back NFL. He is a productive 25 year old who has not been worked hard and looks natural catching passes. Vereen showed some really solid hands in the Super Bowl game, picked up at least one first down with a clean, no frills reception.

It wouldn't be a New York Jets' offseason without a Darrelle Revis storyline. Get ready for four weeks of Revis speculation. Will he re-sign with the Super Bowl champion New England Patriots? If not, could he reunite with the Jets?

On Friday, Patriots president Jonathan Kraft stated the obvious to Boston radio station WEEI -- they want Revis back -- adding that the two sides are planning to "get to work" on a new contract.

"Hopefully, both sides want to make a deal and we'll be able to get one done," Kraft said.The Patriots have until the end of the league year (March 9) to renegotiate a new deal with Darrelle Revis before a prohibitive a $12 million bonus is triggered.There's a deadline.

Revis is under contract for 2015, but it's really just a fake year because of a prohibitive $25 million cap charge. If the two sides don't renegotiate a new deal by March 9, the final day of the 2014 league year, the Patriots will have to release him because a $12 million bonus is triggered. That, combined with his $7.5 million base salary and $500,000 roster bonus, would bring his total compensation to $20 million. Obviously, the Patriots want a more cap-friendly deal.

Revis has a great situation in New England, so it's hard to imagine him wanting to leave -- unless he knows there's a better financial situation elsewhere. The Jets have the cap room, the positional need and an interest in bringing back one of the best players in franchise history. Not only would it create electricity for the start of the Mike Maccagnan-Todd Bowles era, but it would weaken their top rival.

As usual, Revis has the leverage. Yes, he'll be 30 in July, but he's coming off an All-Pro season, showing no signs of slippage. No matter what happens, he'll make a big score. It'll be fascinating if he hits the open market, seeing if owner Woody (I'd Love Darrelle To Come Back) Johnson dusts off his checkbook. The Patriots have to be thinking about that.

For now, the champs have exclusive negotiating rights, and it sounds like they want him -- badly."He's been everything and more since he's been here," Kraft said. "Patriots fans knew what he was like on the field, but didn't know what he was like off it. Having worn green all those years and the blind emotion we all have toward the Jets, you have one perception of the man. And the man is very different than that. He's a great guy and he works hard. There is no over-ego to him and he's a great teammate. He's been a real pleasure to have him as part of the organization."

> espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/49131/with-jets-lurking-in-weeds-patriots-intent-on-signing-darrelle-revis

That simply isn't true.  Purposes that I'm thinking are: goal line situations, 3rd & short situations, and more importantly special teams my friend, special teams.  Hitting the fullback on a PA pass should always be a considerable play in any offense.  Difficult for most linebackers to have to read the play then cover the FB. 

I just don't agree that the position has any importance anymore.  Your 3rd TE or blocking TE will suffice for a FB today and they will already be playing special teams.  You are seeing more and more defensive linemen getting FB reps in goal line situations.  (Richardson being one of them) And Richardson is a perfect example, why have Bo or Conner on the team when Richardson performs the goal line duties better than both of them.  I just think I'd rather use that extra position on the roster for another OL, WR, or even a CB or RB.

I just don't agree that the position has any importance anymore.  Your 3rd TE or blocking TE will suffice for a FB today and they will already be playing special teams.  You are seeing more and more defensive linemen getting FB reps in goal line situations.  (Richardson being one of them) And Richardson is a perfect example, why have Bo or Conner on the team when Richardson performs the goal line duties better than both of them.  I just think I'd rather use that extra position on the roster for another OL, WR, or even a CB or RB.

Regardless of whatever person is playing that position it is still a FB position. You are probably right about using the personnel in a different place though.  

I just think that it's obvious when you have Richardson in the FB position it's a clear indication to the defense to think run.  Whereas, when you have a 3rd TE (especially on our roster) it's a clear indication to the defense to think pass.  amirite? 

> Your questions on the New York Jets, my answers:

@RichCimini: It makes no sense from a financial or schematic standpoint to pursue Ndamukong Suh in free agency. In recent years, the Jets have poured a lot of resources into the defensive line, drafting Muhammad Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson and Quinton Coples in the first round. Soon, the D-line will go into a different tax bracket, so to speak, with new deals coming for Wilkerson (probably this year) and Richardson (2017). And let's not forget about Damon Harrison, a restricted free agent who has earned a big pay day. Schematically, the Jets already have two interior linemen, Richardson and Harrison, and we all know Wilkerson can play inside, too. Suh is a terrific player, but he'd be an expensive luxury for the Jets, who really need an edge rusher. I'd be surprised if Mike Maccagnan pursues a big-ticket item like Suh. I know he promised to be active, but there's a difference between being active and doling out record-setting contracts.

@RichCimini: I don't see the Jets trying to trade for Adrian Peterson. First of all, could you imagine the media circus in New York? I'm not sure if Todd Bowles wants to start off his head-coaching career with that type of distraction. Secondly, there's his age -- he turns 30 next month -- and is coming off a year of inactivity. A 30-year-old running back might work for a team on the verge of contention, but the Jets are more than one or two players away, so why part with a draft pick? Thirdly, there's the money. He has three years, $46.4 million remaining on his contract. No thanks.

@RichCimini: You're right, Maccagnan knows Ryan Mallett from their Houston Texans connection, but Mallett was a Bill O'Brien guy. I could see the Jets showing some interest in Mallett because the free-agent market isn't loaded with great options, but let's be real: He's a huge unknown. He has only 79 pass attempts in four seasons. He finally got a shot last year to start, but he didn't play well and tore a pectoral muscle on his throwing side in November. Mallet might have some upside, but he wouldn't answer anything in terms of the Jets' quarterback situation; he'd be another question mark in the mix.

@RichCimini: The answer is Darrelle Revis because there's a zero-percent chance that Demaryius Thomas signs with the Jets. If the Denver Broncos can't re-sign Thomas before the start of free agency, they will "franchise" him. He'll never see the open market. Eric Decker can recruit his friend as much as he wants -- he can even ask his wife to write a country-music song about him -- but it won't make a difference. As for Revis, the New England Patriots have exclusive negotiating rights until March 9. My gut tells me he'll re-sign with the champs. If he hits the open market, he will draw interest from the Jets, but how much would they be willing to pay? Considering the past history with the Jets and Revis' agents, I wouldn't hold my breath.

@RichCimini: First and foremost, they must sign a top-shelf cornerback. They might have to sign two, depending on Dee Milliner's recovery from Achilles-tendon surgery. Bowles can't play his defense with the current personnel. Other areas are wide receiver, quarterback and safety. The receiver situation hinges on what they do with Percy Harvin. If they lose David Harris in free agency, they will have to find a replacement. I don't see Demario Davis moving to the "Mike" linebacker spot; I see him staying on the weak side. The Jets could have more than $50 million in cap space -- John Idzik's parting gift. Maccagnan will spend, but he wants to be smart about it. He believes in building through the draft, so I don't expect him to put all his eggs in the free agency basket.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/49135/jets-mailbag-ndamukong-suh-adrian-peterson-and-free-agency

Jets offseason preview : Running backs

Key stat: Surprisingly, Johnson's average per carry (1.98) against a "loaded" box was slightly higher than Ivory's average (1.77). A loaded box is defined as more defenders than blockers.

Pending free agents: Powell (unrestricted), Conner (unrestricted)

2015 cap hits (position rank):

• Johnson: $5.25 million (No. 10)
  • Ivory: $2.75 million (No. 21)
  • Bohanon: $600,562
  • Daryl Richardson: $585,000
Money matters: Johnson's days could be numbered. He's due a $500,000 option bonus by Feb. 16, which triggers the final year of his contract. It would be a surprise if the Jets keep the 29-year-old Johnson, who is coming off a pedestrian season. They can save $3.5 million (his 2015 base salary) by releasing him. Ivory is heading into the final year of his deal, so they need to put a player in place that can be groomed for a prominent role in 2016.

Big picture: The Jets will be in the market for a dynamic back to pair with their resident thumper, Ivory. If new offensive coordinator Chan Gailey installs a spread offense, the system he ran in his last coaching job (Buffalo Bills), it'll put a premium on running back who can play in space and catch the ball. That could mean a smaller role for Ivory. Johnson was supposed to be a "space" player last season, but he never became the home-run threat they envisioned. They need a legitimate pass-catcher. The Jets' backs combined for only 431 receiving yards last season, 29th in the league. Powell is a steady player, but offers little explosiveness. The ideal fit would be the Bills' C.J. Spiller, a free agent who enjoyed his best year under Gailey.

Free-agent market watch: Justin Forsett, Frank Gore, Mark Ingram, Darren McFadden, Ryan Mathews, Knowshon Moreno, DeMarco Murray, Spiller, Shane Vereen.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/49085/jets-offseason-preview-running-backs

Jets offseason preview : Quarterbacks

Position : Quarterback

2014 snaps :

Key stat: Smith finished 28th in passer rating (39.0) when throwing under pressure. He completed 29 of 85 passes for 434 yards, with three touchdowns, five interceptions and 28 sacks.

Pending free agents: Vick (unrestricted)

• Smith: $1.37 million (No. 39)
  • Simms: $585,000

Money matters: The first two years of Smith's contract were guaranteed; that's not the case anymore. If he remains the starter, he'll continue to be one of the lowest-paid starting quarterbacks in the league. His total compensation is $861,328, one-third of which will be earned with a workout bonus ($276,328).

Big picture: The new regime has a lot of work to do. Coach Todd Bowles and GM Mike Maccagnan have remained non-committal on Smith, and the reason is because this is headed toward an open competition in training camp. Maybe this year it will be truly open, as opposed to last summer's charade. Look for them to add a veteran quarterback (Vick won't be back), plus another in the draft. Ryan Fitzpatrick, who knows Chan Gailey's system from their time together in Buffalo, could be an option if he's released by the Houston Texans. As far as the draft is concerned, the focus will be on Marcus Mariota and Jameis Winston, although there's a chance neither will be available with the sixth pick. Beyond them, it's a weak draft.

Free-agent market watch: Brian Hoyer, Jake Locker, Ryan Mallett:wild: Mark Sanchez. :wild:

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/49083/jets-offseason-preview-quarterbacks

The Super Bowl champion Patriots appear poised to do all they can to keep star cornerback Darrelle Revis from potentially reuniting with the Jets, or with ex-Jets coach Rex Ryan, who now coaches the Bills.

In an interview with Boston's WEEI, Patriots' president Jonathan Kraft (son of owner Robert Kraft) said the organization will soon "get to work" on a new contract for Revis.

"Hopefully, both sides want to make a deal and we'll be able to get one done," Kraft said.

It's already been floated out there -- by Revis's camp, or whoever -- that the Jets and Bills would be interested in Revis if he becomes available. But he might not become available in free agency, since the Patriots are the only team that can negotiate with him right now.

For the second straight offseason, the Jets have a major need at cornerback. They decided not to pursue Revis in free agency last offseason. But Jets owner Woody Johnson was recently charged with tampering for saying he'd like to have Revis back.

Revis, who began his career with the Jets and played for them from 2007-12, signed last offseason with the Patriots, after a season with Tampa Bay. Revis signed what was technically a two-year contract, but his salary cap charge for 2015 is prohibitively high ($25 million). All along, it seemed likely that Revis would either hit the free agent market again this offseason, or sign a new/extended/restructured deal with New England.

The Patriots seem intent on the latter happening. They have until March 9 (the final day of the 2014 league year) to trigger their option on a $12 million roster bonus for Revis in 2015. His base salary for 2015 is due to be $7.5 million.

Revis's cap charge for 2015 becomes $25 million when you throw in the $12 million bonus, his $7.5 million base salary, another $500,000 roster bonus, and his prorated $10 million signing bonus from last season ($5 million per year in prorated money).

Jonathan Kraft told WEEI that the understanding all along was that Revis's money/cap charge for 2015 ($20 million of which the Patriots have yet to pay, since they already doled out the signing bonus) was simply a "placeholder" in the contract.

"People understand that that's a placeholder, and we'll get to work on trying to make (an extension) happen," Kraft said. "He's been everything and more since he's been here. Patriots fans knew what he was like on the field, but didn't know what he was like off it. Having worn green all those years and the blind emotion we all have toward the Jets, you have one perception of the man. And the man is very different than that. He's a great guy and he works hard. There is no over-ego to him and he's a great teammate. He's been a real pleasure to have him as part of the organization."

Revis just won his first Super Bowl ring with the Patriots. As they try to repeat, they want to make him part of their plans. And why not? He was a first-team All-Pro in 2014.

Revis won't come cheap for the Patriots. They got him last season for $11.5 in guaranteed money (his $10 million signing bonus, plus a $1.5 million base salary). His cap charge was $7 million, when you throw in a $500,000 roster bonus, along with his base salary and his prorated signing bonus. Revis earned every dollar. Despite his likely high price tag for future years, it looks like the Patriots are willing to pay up.

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/02/patriots_begin_contract_plans_to_keep_darrelle_rev.html

Didn't realize Shane Vereen was a FA. I actually like him more in the complimentary role than I do Spiller. I'd also draft a back anywhere from rd 2-5.

I haven't watched much of Spiller in over a year.  I need to check him out again.  I prefer his homerun ability to Vereen, but Vereen is the kind of RB that is a natural receiver.  A guy like Chris Johnson is fast and has caught a lot of balls, but he is not natural.  There is a big difference between guys like him and the Larry Centers of the world.

Jets offseason preview : Tight ends

With the NFL scouting combine (Feb. 17-23) and free agency (March 10) approaching, we take a position-by-position look at the New York Jets as they head into the offseason:

Position : Tight end 

2014 snaps :
•Jeff Cumberland: 84 percent
•Jace Amaro: 34 percent
•Zach Sudfeld: 13 percent
Key stat: No rookie tight end made a tremendous impact in 2014, but Amaro led the group with 38 receptions, 13 ahead of the Detroit Lions' Eric Ebron.

Pending free agents: None

2015 salary-cap hits (position rank)
•Cumberland: $1.9 million (No. 26)
•Amaro: $975,681 (No. 42)
•Sudfeld: $585,000
•Chris Pantale: $585,000
Money matters: Well, you can't accuse the Jets of overspending at this position. They have no big money invested here. The only noteworthy money matter is that Amaro's 2015 base salary ($615,136) is guaranteed -- a drop in the salary-cap bucket. Cumberland's entire cap charge is in the form of base salary.

Big picture: The Jets have to figure out a way to get more production out of their tight ends. They combined for only 677 receiving yards, 21st in the league. The hope is that Amaro will take a big leap in his second season. If they play a spread offense under new coordinator Chan Gailey, it should help Amaro because he played in a spread-style system at Texas Tech. He can start by working on his concentration. Amaro had six drops in only 52 targets, the highest drop percentage of any tight end with at least 10 catches. Unless he struggles with the new system, Amaro should overtake Cumberland and become the primary tight end. Part of that could depend upon the blocking demands of the position; Amaro still is developing as a point-of-attack blocker. Cumberland's production (23 catches) fell short of his every-down playing status -- an ominous sign for some players -- but it would be a surprise if he gets cut because his $1.9 million cap charge isn't outrageous. Sudfeld could be poised for a bigger role, especially as a receiver. They don't have a true blocking tight end, although that role is becoming a dinosaur across the league.

Free-agent market watch : Pending free agents include Jordan Cameron, Charles Clay, Jermaine Gresham, Jacob Tamme and Julius Thomas.

>   espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/49110/jets-offseason-preview-tight-ends

Soon-to-be free agent Antonio Cromartie hasn't been shy about expressing his willingness to consider a reunion with Todd Bowles. With apologies to Billy Joel, Cromartie is in a New York state of mind."I'm definitely trying to keep him here," Arizona Cardinals cornerback Patrick Peterson told ESPN.com Cards reporter Josh Weinfuss. "It's going to be tough, especially with Todd being in New York and he loves [New York]."That's all he talks about is freaking New York. I'm definitely trying to get him to stay and we'll see what happens."

On the surface, it seems like a natural fit. The Jets are desperate for cornerbacks and Cromartie, coming off a rebound season in Arizona, played well in Bowles' man-to-man system. He made the Pro Bowl, albeit as an alternate.

Cromartie, who played for the Jets from 2010 to 2013, was released in a salary-cap move after a poor season in 2013. He played through a hip injury, which probably affected his performance. The Jets wanted to re-sign him, but he ended up signing a one-year, $3.5 million deal with the Cards.

Cromartie told Weinfuss the Jets are an "attractive" option because he still owns a home in New Jersey. Not wanting to hurt his leverage, Cromartie said he's keeping his options open.

The problem with Cromartie is he will be 31 in April, so we're not talking about a long-term answer. Even though he's a workout fanatic in the offseason, it's hard to beat Father Time. Cromartie relies so much on his speed, and he might have trouble adjusting when that speed starts to slip. In the end, it'll probably come down to money. It usually does.

If he demands a long-term deal with significant guarantees, the Jets should take a pass and shop for a younger player. There will be younger options in free agency, such as Kareem Jackson, Brandon Flowers, Byron Maxwell and Darrelle Revis (maybe). If Cromartie is willing to be flexible and take a short-term deal, he'd be a worthwhile choice.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/49157/antonio-cromartie-has-new-york-jets-on-the-brain

I know the story is always that these guys lose their speed and are done fast, but top corners can last forever.  Darrell Green, Champ Bailey, and the Woodsons all played at a high level well past 35.  Deion Sanders was going pretty strong when he retired because he couldn't get to the Raiders and made a comeback when he was pushing 40.  I think those guys all made pro bowls when years older than Cromartie.

Jets offseason preview : Wide receivers

With the NFL scouting combine (Feb. 17-23) and free agency (March 10) approaching, we take a position-by-position look at the New York Jets as they head into the offseason:

Position: Wide receiver

2014 snaps:

Key stat: This may surprise you, but the Jets' oft-criticized receiving corps averaged 14.4 yards per catch against base defenses (four DBs), which ranked 10th in the league. Against nickel defenses, the average dropped by nearly two yards (12.6), but it still was good for 14th.

Pending free agents: Salas (unrestricted)

Money matters: The big decision involves Harvin, who has four years, $41.5 million remaining on the contract inherited from the Seattle Seahawks -- none of it guaranteed. The Jets must make the call by March 19. If he's still on the roster, they owe the Seahawks a fourth-round pick, completing the trade from last October. If they cut him before the 19th, it's a sixth-rounder. His entire cap charge comes off the books if they cut bait. Clearly, Harvin isn't a $10 million a year receiver, but he has talent. Are the Jets willing to overpay out of desperation? Not likely. We know Decker isn't going anywhere; his entire base salary ($5 million is guaranteed). Kerley's entire base salary ($2 million) becomes fully guaranteed on March 14.

Big picture: Any potential moves will hinge on the Harvin verdict. Even if they keep him, they still don't have a true No. 1 receiver. The Jets were only 2-6 with Harvin, who hasn't had a multiple-TD game since 2011. Decker was an average receiver for the first 15 games before morphing into Jerry Rice in the finale. If they stick with the Decker-Harvin tandem, it's hard to imagine them going for an upper-tier free agent; that would be a lot of money tied up in one position. Amari Cooper would be an intriguing option with the sixth pick in the draft, if he lasts that long. Bottom line: They're still one major acquisition away from having a top-flight receiving corps.

:character0181: Free-agent market watch: Dez Bryant, Randall Cobb, Michael Crabtree, Jeremy Maclin, Torrey Smith, Demaryius Thomas.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/49112/jets-offseason-preview-wide-receivers

Draft Projections : AFC East

jets-helmet-360.png?w=360&h=278

JETS’ PROBLEMS By Andy Benoit

Todd Bowles is going to have a very tough go of it in his first season as a head coach. In Arizona, Bowles ascended to the top of defensive coordinator ranks by orchestrating one of the most aggressive, pressure-oriented schemes the NFL has seen. He could be creative because he had two excellent man-to-man corners (Patrick Peterson and Antonio Cromartie). In New York, Bowles inherits zero quality corners. With the thoroughly mediocre Kyle Wilson (2010 first-round pick) unlikely to be re-signed, the Jets have vacancies at their top three cornerback spots.

There’s a decision to be made about linebacker David Harris. The 31-year-old is stout, and even spectacular at times. The question is whether his price is justified in a scheme that could often employ one linebacker and three safeties. In that package, the more athletic Demario Davis would get the playing time instead of Harris.

Speaking of safeties, the Jets could use an upgrade there, too. First-rounder Calvin Pryor struggled as a rookie. Jaiquawn Jarrett and Antonio Allen, who moonlighted at corner last season, are very average. So is Dawan Landry, who is unsigned.

Incredibly, New York’s offense is even more tattered. Quarterback is considered a big need, though despite what fans and media think, there’s a debate to be had on whether giving up so soon on Geno Smith is the right thing. Most likely, new GM Mike Maccagnan, who has no stake in Smith, will do just that. Whomever they put at quarterback will be handicapped by an ineffective receiving corps, assuming upgrades aren’t made. Up front, the O-line has problems at guard, where soon-to-be 32-year-old Willie Colon is a free agent and 2013 third-rounder Brian Winters has so far not panned out.

JETS’ SOLUTIONS By Andy Staples

If the quarterback the first-pick Buccaneers don’t take is available at No. 6—either Mariota or Winston—the Jets need to grab him. If not, then perhaps Alabama safety Landon Collins would provide Todd Bowles with the versatility he craves at that position.

The Jets pick again at No. 37, and this could be a good spot to grab a receiver. They may have a shot at either Auburn’s Sammie Coates or Arizona State’s Jaelen Strong here. Both are big—Coates is 6-2, 213, and Strong is 6-3, 215—while still being capable of stretching a defense. Coates will put up some freakish speed and vertical jump numbers at the combine, and it will be interesting to see how much better he performs with an NFL quarterback throwing the ball. Remember, Coates had Nick Marshall (who will play cornerback at the next level) throwing him the ball in college. Strong already has put a ton of highlights on tape. He’s an absolute nightmare against man coverage.

> http://mmqb.si.com/2015/02/10/nfl-draft-2015-afc-east-projections/4/

Archived