Jets Passing Offense Film Review - Week 10 (Rams) Petty Nation

win4ever

Bryce Petty made his debut for the Jets this past weekend against the Los Angeles Rams, albeit the Jets lost a defensive minded game 9-6.  Let’s examine how Petty did in his first game:

Petty Nation:

1) week-10-petty-good-petty-1

This is a 3rd down and 9 play in the first quarter, and the Rams are in a single high safety look.   The pre-snap read shows the defender on Robby Anderson playing well off the ball and Petty recognizes it at the line of scrimmage.   He makes a good throw on this ball, but it ends up going short of the first down because Anderson essentially got pushed back down the field.  It was initially ruled a first down, but later changed upon review.  This is a very good read and throw by Petty, showing very good arm strength.  He’s on the other end of the hash mark, so this is not only a throw for a come back, it’s being done from across the field.  He also stands tall in the pocket, as the Rams were blitzing on this play, so he definitely takes a hit just after he throws this pass.

2) week-10-petty-good-petty-2

The first deep pass of Petty’s career, and it’s a good pass.  It’s not amazingly great because it is a bit under-thrown, but the trajectory on this throw is great.  The Rams are in a single high safety look, fully expecting the run with the Jets backed into their own end zone.  Robby Anderson runs right by his defender and gains a step on his defender and Petty finds him for the deep pass.  The trajectory of this throw is what makes this throw because he dropped the ball in over the head of the defender, which is very important when the defender has inside position.  Anderson didn’t have to go through the defender to catch the pass, which would have been the case had the ball been more of a line drive throw, which made it easier for him.  While Petty has his share of flaws in his game, his ability with deep passes is one of his best traits.

3) week-10-petty-good-petty-3

This is a 3rd and 3 play, and the Rams show up again in a single high safety look.  The design of this play is a great call by Chan Gailey, because the Rams are caught in man coverage.  Brandon Marshall is lined up to the left of the formation, but goes in motion.  He ends up lining up in the slot, right before the ball is snapped.  This is very important, because it doesn’t allow the Rams time to communicate a change in defensive assignments.  Notice Quincy Enunwa on this play, and the angle he takes on this play.  He runs a bit inside as he’s running up the field, which all but forces the defender on Marshall to run around the other Rams player.  If the defender on Marshall had tried to run a more straight line towards Marshall, he would have been blocked off by his own player and Enunwa, which would have led to a bigger play for Marshall.  Petty shows good timing with the play, executing the quick pass and throwing a good pass to Marshall.  This isn’t an amazing play by any means, but it’s shown because of the shrewd play calling and route combination here by Chan Gailey.

4) week-10-petty-good-petty-4

This is a 3rd and 6 play in the second quarter, and the Rams adjust with a two deep safety look.   The defenders are playing off from the receivers, so this is a very good pre-snap read by Petty.  One of the biggest concerns with Petty was his ability (or possible lack of ability) in reading defenses, but he makes a very good read here.  On this play, the read is the outside defender, who ends up tackling Enunwa in the end.  If the defender is aggressive on Enunwa, then it’s a deeper pass to Robby Anderson (as the route is designed to go away from the deep safety).  However, the defender didn’t commit right away to Enunwa, therefore Petty took the easier throw and converted the first down.

5) week-10-petty-good-petty-5

This is one of the those rare passes on first down this past Sunday, and the Rams were in a two deep safety look as well.  The defenders are all playing off the receivers, so Petty has his pick of guys to pick from.  The read on this play is from left to right because the running back is to Petty’s left.  So while acting out the play action he is already turned towards Robby Anderson, and then move on if he’s covered.  In this case, Anderson wasn’t well covered, so Petty hits him for a quick strike.  It’s a good throw to Anderson, who makes a great move on the defender to gain more yards up the field.

6) week-10-petty-good-petty-6

This is a 2nd and 6 play, with the Rams back in a single high safety look, which doesn’t count because there was a holding penalty on the Jets.  This is late in the second quarter, and a great throw by Petty on this play after a low snap.  The Jets need receivers to get out of bounds, but also convert the first down.  Petty throws a bullet from the other side of the hash mark, and finds Charone Peake running to the sidelines for a first down as he goes out of bounds.  The pre-snap read shows that the right side of the formation had the best chance of having an open receiver, and Petty makes the correct read.  There are two possible options on this play, Peake and Anderson, but Petty makes the optimal throw because they also need to conserve time outs.

7) week-10-petty-good-petty-7

This is a 3rd and 2 play in the second quarter with fifteen seconds left in the quarter.  While the Jets needed to move downfield, they also needed to convert the first down here and Petty makes a good throw.  One of the better traits of Petty is his ability to throw quick passes with good accuracy, one of the better things to come out of the Baylor spread system, which emphasizes quick passes.  This is a good play by Petty and Brandon Marshall, who also runs out of bounds to preserve time.  It’s a good conversion by the Jets, but this is mainly to highlight the quick trigger pass from Petty, and again shows good field awareness given the time of the quarter.

8) week-10-petty-good-petty-8

A 2nd and 11 play, and the Jets have a small gain on this play.  This one is here to highlight Petty making the right read on this play.  There is pre-snap motion on this play, however the defense didn’t adjust, but it was negated since the receiver ended up in his initial place as well.  At the same time, the defender on Peake moves back near the snap, which is noticed by Petty.  Most times, this is absolutely a great read because in man coverage with only one safety, the defender would be backing off from Peake.  However, the defender sees the quick pass from Petty and makes a great tackle on Peake in the open field.  This is absolutely a great read by Petty because he recognizes the coverage change late in snap count and make a great throw.  However, Peake couldn’t break the tackle here, which limited this play.  If Peake breaks this tackle, this is a big gain, but that is being optimistic.

9) week-10-petty-good-petty-9

On this play, the Rams are in a single high safety look with man coverage across the board.  Petty stands tall in the pocket, and makes a good pass to Powell.   The read on this play is the middle linebacker, and if he’s going to aggressively cover Powell, then there is a passing lane to Enunwa.  However, the defender lays back near Enunwa, which means there is a clear path to Powell.  This is a good read by Petty who reads the linebacker and makes the good throw.

10) week-10-petty-good-petty-10

On this play, the Rams are in a single high safety look and they play off the defenders.  This is a good read by Petty again, as he takes the safe option with Powell.   There are three receivers to the left of the formation, and Petty looks towards them from the start of this play.  This is another single read play, with the read being the middle linebacker.  If the linebacker goes towards Powell, then there is a throwing lane to Enunwa.  If the linebacker stays back, as he does in this case, the throw is open to Powell.  It’s another good read by Petty, and it’s a nice throw.  The other thing to notice on this play is Robby Anderson running down the field.  While it happened too late into the play, since Petty had to commit to a pass by then, Anderson runs right by his defender who happened to fall down.

11) week-10-petty-good-petty-11

Another play that is mostly here to highlight the play set up on this play, and good read.  There is pre-snap movement with Robby Anderson, which ends up moving two defenders  Once the defenders are moved, there is a clear path for Bilal Powell, and Petty makes a good pass.   Notice Quincy Enunwa on this play, he is running a pick play, but he is too far ahead of the play so the pick doesn’t work.   The play almost works too well for the Jets as the Rams were too far to the left of the formation, so the pick play doesn’t work here.  This is a great play design by the Jets, and a good read by Petty.  Unfortunately, the pick aspect doesn’t work, which limits the success of this play.

12) week-10-petty-good-petty-12

Have you seen this play before?  Far hash mark, Peake running the out route, and a good completion?  The Rams are playing back on this play, and the Jets take advantage again with the easy pass.  This is another good pass from Bryce Petty, albeit the Jets seemed to go with the conservative pass more often than not.  It’s just another example of the arm strength by Petty.

Conclusion:

This was an OK debut by Bryce Petty.  As you could see from this aspect of the Film Review, Petty did make some good reads and throws.  The Jets didn’t push the envelope in this game, which ended up biting them in the foot.  There were some really good reads and throws by Petty, which was good for his first game against a good defense.

Please check back for the other parts of our Passing Offense Film Review.

Forum Questions:

A)  What impressed you the most about Petty?

B) Why do you think Brandon Marshall wasn’t a big part of the game?

- See more at: http://www.jetnation.com/2016/11/16/jets-passing-offense-film-review-week-10-rams-petty-nation/#sthash.876AtpNd.dpuf

It looked to me like Chan Gailey dug through the Baylor playbook and gave Petty a bunch of single-read "catch the shotgun snap and release within .5 seconds" type passes. That's fine and dandy given it's the kid's first start, but at some point we need to figure out if this guy can actually Quarterback a professional offense.

16 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

It looked to me like Chan Gailey dug through the Baylor playbook and gave Petty a bunch of single-read "catch the shotgun snap and release within .5 seconds" type passes. That's fine and dandy given it's the kid's first start, but at some point we need to figure out if this guy can actually Quarterback a professional offense.

They definitely added a lot of quick passes to the game, but they Baylor system works so well because they take a ton of shots down the field, so for these short passes the receivers have much more space to run after the catch.  We did only part of the equation, and played it conservatively.  

A. I thought Petty did a good job of being decisive and not holding on to the ball too long, which can be a flaw for young QB's.  He also stood in the pocket and looked down field as opposed to staring down pressure or trying to just to run at any given chance.  He's got a great mechanics.  Stands tall in the pocket, has a nice tight and quick release, the ball comes out fast and gets the WR in a hurry and overall he was pretty accurate.

B. I have no clue what Brandon Marshall is doing this year. 

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

A. I thought Petty did a good job of being decisive and not holding on to the ball too long, which can be a flaw for young QB's.  He also stood in the pocket and looked down field as opposed to staring down pressure or trying to just to run at any given chance.  He's got a great mechanics.  Stands tall in the pocket, has a nice tight and quick release, the ball comes out fast and gets the WR in a hurry and overall he was pretty accurate.

A.  I thought he did a real good job of going through his progressions, and if he had just gone a hair trigger faster, his day would have been much better.  The Rams threw some complex looks at him, which seemed to have thrown him off, which may explain why he checked down more often.  I really liked the throws from the far side hash across the field, those throws just weren't available to us with Fitzpatrick.   

B.  I'm wondering if the reason why Marshall attached his boat to Fitz was because he was promised a certain amount of looks per game from him.  It would make sense as to why he was so loyal to Fitz, and also why he would get throws when he was clearly covered well.

3 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

How many seconds did he have from snap on each pass play? 

Seems to me on most throws they were happening quick yet not a half second too soon on some.

His pocket looked like a puckered ahole on most plays

The offensive line was bad in this game, especially because the Rams were consistently getting pressure just rushing 4 guys.  

2 minutes ago, win4ever said:

A.  I thought he did a real good job of going through his progressions, and if he had just gone a hair trigger faster, his day would have been much better.  The Rams threw some complex looks at him, which seemed to have thrown him off, which may explain why he checked down more often.  I really liked the throws from the far side hash across the field, those throws just weren't available to us with Fitzpatrick.   

B.  I'm wondering if the reason why Marshall attached his boat to Fitz was because he was promised a certain amount of looks per game from him.  It would make sense as to why he was so loyal to Fitz, and also why he would get throws when he was clearly covered well.

Like I said in the other thread, there were just a ton of plays that the WR's werent get separation.

I feel like Marshall is more worried about life after Football, than Football. 

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Agreed about his mechanics. One thing I'll say, is that he was rarely asked to drop back and scan the field. When he was asked to do that, it seemed like he defaulted to underneath stuff/check-downs. I want to see him rip it, good or bad.

I'll say this. He went through his progressions and his pre snap reads were on point. He didn't make a pass that was impressive to me, even his long pass to Anderson was a 50/50 jump ball that Anderson won. But there were several little nuances about his game that I liked. He set his protections, he moved well in the pocket. These are the things I hope he can build on. 

3 hours ago, win4ever said:

Fitz really would just... lock on to him and throw it to him no matter what.

Is it just me, or is Robby Anderson open deep 4 times a game? 

~PS as always, such a great job with these, they are all appreciated.

3 hours ago, win4ever said:

The offensive line was bad in this game, especially because the Rams were consistently getting pressure just rushing 4 guys.  

Rams don't have much, but their D Line is excellent, and our O Line was hurt.

Don't forget, Petty made his 1st career start, and did NOT have Mangold to help with protections.

Thanks for the analysis, very interesting. Seems as if the game plan was to keep it simple. By using Petty's quick release Gailey wanted him to put the ball in the hands of his Playmakers. Obviously, The Playmakers simply were outplayed by the defense. I'm kind of glad that they didn't let him scan the field and throw the ball at will  for this could have led to multiple interceptions harming his confidence going forward. All in all a good, safe debut. He reminds me , look wise, of Drew Brees.....

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

Agreed about his mechanics. One thing I'll say, is that he was rarely asked to drop back and scan the field. When he was asked to do that, it seemed like he defaulted to underneath stuff/check-downs. I want to see him rip it, good or bad.

the thing too is that the receivers are all acustomed to fitz throwing the ball and he likes the crossing patterns.  he can't get the ball to the sidelines very well and forget about good accuracy on the deep balls.  so when anderson missed that second quarter deep ball it could have been due to anderson not running out fast enough.  and on the earlier throw, petty underthrew it by about a yard.  but the thing petty does do is always look deep first.  maybe devon smith can finally be used effectively.  hit some deep passes and the defense will loosen up.

as for marshall, petty doesn't have as good of a feel for him as he does for anderson or peake.  marshall should've been thrown to more because his guy just couldn't cover him without a penalty.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Robby should have between 3 and 6 long TDs already.  The deep ball failures from the QB position is really frustrating.

I think the kid has a special, innate ability to separate that goes beyond athleticism.  He seems to know how to set guys up and moves with a deceptive grace and finesse that looks effortless.

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Thanks for the analysis, very interesting. Seems as if the game plan was to keep it simple. By using Petty's quick release Gailey wanted him to put the ball in the hands of his Playmakers. Obviously, The Playmakers simply were outplayed by the defense. I'm kind of glad that they didn't let him scan the field and throw the ball at will  for this could have led to multiple interceptions harming his confidence going forward. All in all a good, safe debut. He reminds me , look wise, of Drew Brees.....

I said this too. A young field general if he can get some seasoning.

13 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Robby should have between 3 and 6 long TDs already.  The deep ball failures from the QB position is really frustrating.

I think the kid has a special, innate ability to separate that goes beyond athleticism.  He moves with a deceptive grace and finess that looks effortless.

That's what you want out of route running..smooth and effortless like Amari Cooper and Marvin Harrison.

7 hours ago, JiF said:

Like I said in the other thread, there were just a ton of plays that the WR's werent get separation.

I feel like Marshall is more worried about life after Football, than Football. 

Yeah, I think the Rams really played well on defense today.  Prior to the game, I was looking at some of their film (when I was expecting Fitz to play) and they were the worst case scenario for him.  They had a very good D-line and fast and aggressive linebackers, while playing good outside coverage. I think it was Arizona that I looked at because I figured a declining Palmer was arm strength wise close to Fitz, and they have offensive talent around him like we do, and the Rams really stifled that offense.  

I like to see this relationship going forward, because I remember mentioning that Marshall wasn't getting nearly as many looks with Geno either, be it a short sample size.  With Fitz, it felt like he stared down Marshall every other play, and both Geno and Petty had a tendency to just look at the defensive alignment more.   

5 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

I think getting the lead was probably counterproductive for the Jets because they immediately went into ball protection mode.  The Rams offense isn't anything to write home about, so they wanted to win without taking risks.  He showed good skills in progressing through his reads, but seemed hesitant at times to pull the trigger.  They also need to get a rhythm going, because it was run, run, pass for a long time.

5 hours ago, August said:

I'll say this. He went through his progressions and his pre snap reads were on point. He didn't make a pass that was impressive to me, even his long pass to Anderson was a 50/50 jump ball that Anderson won. But there were several little nuances about his game that I liked. He set his protections, he moved well in the pocket. These are the things I hope he can build on. 

I really liked a few passes he made, from one end of the hash mark to the outside.  They didn't go for big yards, but it's a very impressive throw, especially with the quick release.  Fitzpatrick, and some other NFL QBs, just can't make that throw consistently because they don't have the arm strength to do it.  They can get it there, but it has to arch more, which allows the defender more time to make a play on it.  The outside throw like that is very important for us, because it doesn't allow defenders to take the inside position on receivers.  They have to play them more straight, which opens up the inside slant later.   

4 hours ago, chirorob said:

I almost feel like Fitz made a gentleman's agreement that he'd target Marshall/Decker a certain amount of time in a game, regardless of the OC.  It would explain his locked in syndrome and why those two go to bat for him.   

He's definitely opening some eyes, his down the field speed is definitely good.  The Jets need to take advantage, send Peake and Anderson on two ends down the field against single high safety, at least a few times in a game.   

Thanks.  

4 hours ago, chirorob said:

Rams don't have much, but their D Line is excellent, and our O Line was hurt.

Don't forget, Petty made his 1st career start, and did NOT have Mangold to help with protections.

Yeah, the Offensive line definitely seemed to struggle.  It'll be interesting to see how they do against the Pats.  Their offense is definitely going to score on us, so we'll be passing more often I believe.  I wonder if they just take off the training wheels and let him throw it around, because we aren't staying with the Pats playing conservatively.  

3 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Thanks.

The game plan got safe because of the lead, which is a bit understandable, but it got too safe IMO.  When the Jets sped up the offense, at the end of both halves, they moved the ball much better, but it stalled because of bad passes, and a penalty.  

I thought Brees looked way better in terms of his progression even coming out of college.  As a Michigan fan, he was the one QB in the Big10 back in the day that scared the daylight out of me because he was just so good at finding open guys at Purdue. 

For best case scenarios, Petty reminded me a bit of Philip Rivers, although Rivers was a bit more polished.  

Rivers sat for 2 years before getting his chance, and in his first 30 throws (over two games and two years)

56%, 1 Td, 1 INT, 148 yards, 67.1 rating

61%, 1 TD, 1 INT, 182 yards, 73.4 rating for Petty.  

RIvers of course exploded in the third season and became a star so I'm not saying that trajectory is going to follow.  But they looked similar to me, right at the start of their careers.  Both had great deep passes, but checked down a lot to start out.  I would like to see Petty progress from this game.  

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

the thing too is that the receivers are all acustomed to fitz throwing the ball and he likes the crossing patterns.  he can't get the ball to the sidelines very well and forget about good accuracy on the deep balls.  so when anderson missed that second quarter deep ball it could have been due to anderson not running out fast enough.  and on the earlier throw, petty underthrew it by about a yard.  but the thing petty does do is always look deep first.  maybe devon smith can finally be used effectively.  hit some deep passes and the defense will loosen up.

as for marshall, petty doesn't have as good of a feel for him as he does for anderson or peake.  marshall should've been thrown to more because his guy just couldn't cover him without a penalty.

A couple weeks ago, I did part of the report on Fitz's passes down the field having a 2 seam fastball effect (moving from left to right) so I think there has to be some kind of adjustment here for the receivers as well.  

I think Marshall/Enunwa/Anderson/Peake/Smith group out on offense would be terrifying for the defense to defend.  If you sub Powell for Peake or Smith, still works out.  They definitely need to pass deep more often because right now teams don't respect it at all

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I think the kid has a special, innate ability to separate that goes beyond athleticism.  He seems to know how to set guys up and moves with a deceptive grace and finesse that looks effortless.

If we had a good QB, or a QB that could throw deep, I think Anderson would be right there with WIll Fuller this year.  Infact, I almost did a side by side film review comparison to show how similar they were, but it was a hassle watching the Texans games, so I discarded it.  They run similar routes, both run right by defenders, and both are protected by a No. 1 WR across from them.  After the draft, I think people went nuts over the Texans supplementing their weapons with Fuller/Braxton Miller/Lamar Miller, but I feel like we added just as much, if not more into our receiving core this year.   

I think it's more to do with the ability to track the ball while running.  A good amount of receivers, tend to slow down while looking back for the ball, which allows guys back into the play.  However, Anderson (as well as Devin Smith) seem to run just as fast when tracking the ball, while the defender slows down trying to locate the ball, which gives the illusion that he's just running right past them in the end.  He also has elite speed, so there are very few guys that can keep up with him to begin with.  

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

That's what you want out of route running..smooth and effortless like Amari Cooper and Marvin Harrison.

Cooper is probably one of the best route runners I've seen in a long time.  I didn't pay much attention when Harrison was in his prime, but in recent memory, Cooper is a monster at setting up guys.  Little jukes, head fakes to go along with elite talent.  He's just a total beast.  I think he's a better route runner than Beckham Jr. but OBJ is a better athlete.  

Archived