Derrick Jones CB; 6th Round (204 Overall)

JetNation

DerrickJones.jpg

derrick_jones.pngWith the 204th overall pick in the 6th round the NY Jets have selected cornerback Derrick Jones from Mississippi. At first glance Jones seems to be a strong special teams candidate who needs to improve his strength. Here is his draft report from NFL.com.

This is the last pick for the Jets in the 2017 NFL draft, unless they trade back in. The Jets  will receive the Dallas Cowboys’ 5th round pick next year in exchange for the pick the Jets gave them this year (191st overall).

STRENGTHS

Has explosive leaping ability. Posted monster numbers in vertical (41 inches) and broad jump (11 feet 8 inches) at pro day. Has played both cornerback and wide receiver. Uses length, ball skills and pattern recognition to his advantage. Displays some talent and ball production from trail position. Aggressive sprinter down the field in kick coverage makes him an early responder.

WEAKNESSES

Stringy, gangly frame. Posted just nine reps on bench press and will need to add muscle to hold up in the league. Takes the worst of it as a grab and drag tackler. Doesn’t play with the instant trigger on the throw that is expected. Below average footwork for short area change of direction. Could be limited in scheme fit.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
ID2FGAYIFcM

Click here to read the full story...

I live just an hour away from Ole Miss..actually have a friend from high school who plays WR there by the name Markell Pack.. this kid Jones is a great player. Seen him up close. Agree with most of the weakness on his scouting report but this kid can ball. Probably starts out on ST and moves his way up the chart.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2017 at 11:05 PM, Patriot Killa said:

I live just an hour away from Ole Miss..actually have a friend from high school who plays WR there by the name Markell Pack.. this kid Jones is a great player. Seen him up close. Agree with most of the weakness on his scouting report but this kid can ball. Probably starts out on ST and moves his way up the chart.

I cant find any actual vids on this dude, but I like what I see in the highlights. Cant wait until OTA's and preseason. He's a converted DB from the WR position so he should have natural hands. 

Macc may have found a Diamond in the rough here. 

5 hours ago, rangerous said:

like the fact he's 6-2.  can he turn his head around and still cover?

I will be making a new thread providing some GIF's im creating now. I'll mention you when its up. 

I think you're going to like what you see. I have to admit, the more I look at this class the more impressed I've become with what Macc did. I still disagree with Marcus Maye in the 2nd round. There's simply no way that I can can be convinced that he was the best player available on the board. I also dont see some of these traits that I constantly hear about him. It seems like people reiterate what they've heard and didnt come to that conclusion by watching May themselves. 

However, getting back to Derrick Jones, if what I show in these GIF's is the norm for this guy, he could be the steal of the draft and could pull a Richard Sherman and end up being the best CB in the class being a former WR converted to CB. Again, "IF" what I show happens to be the norm for this guy. 

7 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

After reading weaknesses-Is that you Antonio?

We could only hope we get a young Cro outta him.  Same type of freak athlete though.  Ironically, he also chose number 31 for himself as of now. 

Archived