I would like an unbiased opinion on these two players

NIGHT STALKER

As you know, the Dolphins signed Wilkinson the other day...so, would you rather have had him or Grady Jackson that is coming in for a physical today?

"And while he has principally played in a 4-3 front for most of his career, Wilkinson's size might permit him to align at nose tackle at times, and that would allow Saban and defensive coordinator Dom Capers to incorporate more 3-4 looks to the repertoire."

JMO if grady is closer to 300 than 400 he's a better player than Big Daddy Wilkinson for two simple reasons: Grady makes more plays and Dan was thinking about retirement.

In the NFL if you are thinking about retirement you already have.

Hey bit, that line of thinking about retirement you already have sounds like something out of the Bill Parcells book.

As you know, the Dolphins signed Wilkinson the other day...so, would you rather have had him or Grady Jackson that is coming in for a physical today?

"And while he has principally played in a 4-3 front for most of his career, Wilkinson's size might permit him to align at nose tackle at times, and that would allow Saban and defensive coordinator Dom Capers to incorporate more 3-4 looks to the repertoire."

For a one year stop gap you take the guy that knows the position. Jackson plays the nose. Wilkinson would need at least some adjustment. Jackson is basically plug and play. Hard thing is, how do you integrate an overpriced, overweight, lazy veteran after you've been killing the whole team all camp long? Favoritism could kill a camp like this.

I thought Grady Jackson was an obvious choice but for his earlier $5M/yr salary demands. He's not worth that. We could've had Keomeatu or whatever his name is for $5M/yr and he's like 26. However, even if we overpay for 1 year, he's worth it in that (1) we have some cap room for 2006 that we will end up not using; (2) if it's a 1-year deal there will be no cap repricussions for 2007; and (3) it ain't my money.

In honest opinion if Grady is in shape to play then I'd rather take his 6'3, 360 lb frame. They're both 33 but for some reason I just lean towards Grady. Maybe it's because we've heard more of his name and seen him play more but who knows. His numbers stand out more to me for a guy whose constantly double teamed. Wilkinson has never really been a big name guy after his first few years in the league and he only achieved that with his high draft status.

In honest opinion if Grady is in shape to play then I'd rather take his 6'3, 360 lb frame. They're both 33 but for some reason I just lean towards Grady. Maybe it's because we've heard more of his name and seen him play more but who knows. His numbers stand out more to me for a guy whose constantly double teamed. Wilkinson has never really been a big name guy after his first few years in the league and he only achieved that with his high draft status.

and 124........he's a true 3/4 guy whereas Wilk played mostly in a 4-3

Dan was thinking about retirement.

In the NFL if you are thinking about retirement you already have.

No way of knowing for sure but I heard a few different reports that said DW was never going to retire, just using that as a way to get the Lions to offer him more money to stay, or let him leave and negotiate elsewhere.

Archived