New York Jets Preview: Will Braylon Edwards Have An Off Year?

JetsFan34

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/410265-new-york-jets-preview-will-braylon-edwards-will-have-an-off-year

by Daniel Wolf

New York Jets wide receiver Braylon Edwards is a bit of an anomaly seeing as how he has all the talent and ability to be a top receiver in the NFL.

He showed this ability with the Cleveland Browns back in 2007 when he caught 80 balls for over 1,200 yards and 16 touchdowns.

No matter what the real reason is for Edwards' issues recently, the following are reasons that could lead to Edwards' fall in 2010.

No, Edwards is one of the last Jets' player that I'm worried about having an off year. He's been lighting it up so far in camp, he's even been winning most of his battles on Revis. He's showed up in better shape than ever and his attitudes been great with the Jets. All he does is work hard.

Here's the reason to why he won't have an off year.

1) Hustle. Every play last year he hustled, and early on in camp he's been amazing.

2) Blocking ability. He's one of the best blocking receivers in the NFL, he'll stay on the field for that alone because the Jets are a run first team.

3) Athletic ability. Yes, he is a freak athletically. He can stretch the field better than any of the other Jets receivers and he'll win more than half of his jump balls.

4) His drops are overrated. Andre Johnson, Marques Colston, Dwayne Bowe, Randy Moss, Brandon Marshall, Donald Driver, Hines Ward, Wes Welker, both Steve Smith's, Chad Ochocinco, Derrick Mason, Roddy White, Calvin Johnson, Michael Crabtree (Even though he missed half the year), TJ Houshmanzadeh, etc all had more drops than Braylon Edwards. Edwards only had 4 drops last year. His drops are on easy passes that any WR should catch, that's why he takes a lot of heat for it. But he more than makes up for it with catches that no other receiver could make. So "Edwards has the dropsies" is completely false. No doubt he doesn't have the greatest hands in the league, but he's farrrr from the worst hands too.

5) Mark Sanchez. There is NO chance that Mark Sanchez will be worse than last year. I don't think it's possible for a QB to be that bad two years in a row. Plus he looked so much better in the playoffs and so far in camp this year.

6) Santonio Holmes. They don't play the same position, so no need to fight for PT. Holmes will be a good distraction giving Edwards 1 on 1 coverage a lot on the outside.

There is no doubt in my mind that Edwards will be a lot better than last year. No, I don't think he'll be a Pro Bowl caliber season, but he'll take a big step up from last season.

5) Mark Sanchez. There is NO chance that Mark Sanchez will be worse than last year. I don't think it's possible for a QB to be that bad two years in a row. Plus he looked so much better in the playoffs and so far in camp this year.

6) Santonio Holmes. They don't play the same position, so no need to fight for PT. Holmes will be a good distraction giving Edwards 1 on 1 coverage a lot on the outside.

There is no doubt in my mind that Edwards will be a lot better than last year. No, I don't think he'll be a Pro Bowl caliber season, but he'll take a big step up from last season.

Bleacher report...LOL. I think this "journalist" needs to do a little bit more research.:rl:

Actually, I would say that 2007 was a fluke year for him, not all the other years. How can they be off years when that is what he usually does?

He also had more than 4 drops last year. He averaged about 4 a game. They count drops very strangely, to me a drop is pretty much every time you got your hands on the ball and somebody else didn't knock it out, or you should have gotten your hands on the ball but it hit you in the helmet/chest.

The "official" drop is something else however.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/410265-new-york-jets-preview-will-braylon-edwards-will-have-an-off-year

by Daniel Wolf

New York Jets wide receiver Braylon Edwards is a bit of an anomaly seeing as how he has all the talent and ability to be a top receiver in the NFL.

He showed this ability with the Cleveland Browns back in 2007 when he caught 80 balls for over 1,200 yards and 16 touchdowns.

No matter what the real reason is for Edwards' issues recently, the following are reasons that could lead to Edwards' fall in 2010.

No, Edwards is one of the last Jets' player that I'm worried about having an off year. He's been lighting it up so far in camp, he's even been winning most of his battles on Revis. He's showed up in better shape than ever and his attitudes been great with the Jets. All he does is work hard.

Here's the reason to why he won't have an off year.

1) Hustle. Every play last year he hustled, and early on in camp he's been amazing.

2) Blocking ability. He's one of the best blocking receivers in the NFL, he'll stay on the field for that alone because the Jets are a run first team.

3) Athletic ability. Yes, he is a freak athletically. He can stretch the field better than any of the other Jets receivers and he'll win more than half of his jump balls.

4) His drops are overrated. Andre Johnson, Marques Colston, Dwayne Bowe, Randy Moss, Brandon Marshall, Donald Driver, Hines Ward, Wes Welker, both Steve Smith's, Chad Ochocinco, Derrick Mason, Roddy White, Calvin Johnson, Michael Crabtree (Even though he missed half the year), TJ Houshmanzadeh, etc all had more drops than Braylon Edwards. Edwards only had 4 drops last year. His drops are on easy passes that any WR should catch, that's why he takes a lot of heat for it. But he more than makes up for it with catches that no other receiver could make. So "Edwards has the dropsies" is completely false. No doubt he doesn't have the greatest hands in the league, but he's farrrr from the worst hands too.

Hey. That's 30 seconds of my life I'll never get back. Edwards might be pretty good this year, is the point I think. Hmmm. Great. Ohh look! a beer smiley!:cheers:

Actually, I would say that 2007 was a fluke year for him, not all the other years. How can they be off years when that is what he usually does?

He also had more than 4 drops last year. He averaged about 4 a game. They count drops very strangely, to me a drop is pretty much every time you got your hands on the ball and somebody else didn't knock it out, or you should have gotten your hands on the ball but it hit you in the helmet/chest.

I agree that '07 was probably an anomaly, but having consistent QB play should trend him up from most of his other seasons. He's been bounced from QB to QB the last few years and none have been even middle of the pack.

Obviously you are exaggerating about his drops, but you have a point about the "drop" stat. Thing is, WR league wide benefit from the same interpretation.

He didn't come close to four drops per game. That's ridiculous.

I agree that four for the season seems low, but four per game? C'mon.

He didn't come close to four drops per game. That's ridiculous.

I agree that four for the season seems low, but four per game? C'mon.

I exaggerated, he had at least 20-25 on the year. That's still more than 1 a game though. I think we can all admit he averaged more than 1 drop a game.

Archived