•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Don Maynard says Revis couldn't cover Him

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#26 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 37,572 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:58 AM

I don't think this is an example of Maynard being old or senile. The reasons why Revis is better than Sanders are irrelevant for purposes of covering Maynard. It would probably pretty much be a speed cover corners game. Run support isn't going to matter much. LOL at Maynard being "plucky"or "gritty" and comparing him to the White Wes Welker. The guy was a flat out burner. Randy Moss is a better comparo.

Yeah but, Welker >>>>> Moss. Its not even close according to Pats fans.
Posted Image

#27 Barcs

Barcs

Rookie Free Agent

• Banned
  • 718 posts
  • LocationNorthwest NJ

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:26 PM

Weak. Why do old Jets players talk crap about new players? Shouldn't you be supporting this new Jets team, that's one of the best we've had in a very long time? Even Namath talks crap these days. Your days are over, stop acting like you're the best ever and no one will ever top you. It's like they want the Jets to never win a SB again, so they can be the only ones that did it. Revis shuts down guys like Reggie Wayne from Peyton Manning, and all other top WRs and QB combos in the league. Manning and Wayne are 2 of the best players to ever play the game right there. Namath is a Jets legend, but he can't hold a candle to the likes of Peyton Manning or any top QB today. Sorry guys, Revis would still shut you down.

Edited by Barcs, 09 June 2011 - 02:36 PM.

Barcs

Posted Image

#28 joebabyny

joebabyny

waiting to be stimulused

• Members
  • 10,036 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:51 PM

Reminds me of when DeBuscherre said that he'd destroy Charles Oakley on the floor.

Lol, i remember going to a knicks game when i was pretty young, and they had an old timers game at halftime. DeBuscherre went up and down the court three times and then headed back to the bench to get hooked up to the oxygen. I think he came close to dying right there on the court. Woulda been cool to see that, lol.
TailgateJoe.com -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party
Crown Verity MCB72 72in grill, MCB48 48in grill, Trailer with HD Directv
If you are looking for the BEST commercial grade gas/propane grills let me know!

#29 joebabyny

joebabyny

waiting to be stimulused

• Members
  • 10,036 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:52 PM

Its not impossible. We have Madden. :lol:

How about that computer ESPN used in the last Rocky movie????
TailgateJoe.com -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party
Crown Verity MCB72 72in grill, MCB48 48in grill, Trailer with HD Directv
If you are looking for the BEST commercial grade gas/propane grills let me know!

#30 Irish Jet

Irish Jet

• Members
  • 23,490 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:59 PM

How long before Revis calls Maynard a slouch?

#31 sirlancemehlot

sirlancemehlot

perpetual rookie

• Members
  • 4,258 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:43 PM

Maynard was a very rare athlete. He could fly and his hands were like glue. White or black or brown or red...he holds the jets record for receptions (sorry Wesley Walker, Keyshawn Johnson, Wayne Chrebet, George Sauer, Jerome Barkum, Mickey Shuler, Rich Caster, Laveranues Coles, Al Toon, etc.). He's one of only three Jets to make the Hall of Fame and one of only three to have his number retired. Would he dominate Revis? No. no one can Dominate Revis. but lets not pretend he could'nt grab a deep ball or two on Darelle. All-time greats can do it on anyone given the right circumstances and a well thrown ball. R. moss simultaneously caught that one-hander on revis and blew up his hamstring. Darelle is great, but he's getting too much hype, I think. It's like those Chuck Norris Jokes. A little over the top.

#32 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 27,487 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:33 PM

Weak. Why do old Jets players talk crap about new players? Shouldn't you be supporting this new Jets team, that's one of the best we've had in a very long time? Even Namath talks crap these days. Your days are over, stop acting like you're the best ever and no one will ever top you. It's like they want the Jets to never win a SB again, so they can be the only ones that did it. Revis shuts down guys like Reggie Wayne from Peyton Manning, and all other top WRs and QB combos in the league. Manning and Wayne are 2 of the best players to ever play the game right there. Namath is a Jets legend, but he can't hold a candle to the likes of Peyton Manning or any top QB today. Sorry guys, Revis would still shut you down.

These guys have supported the Jets through thick and thin. Maynard wasn't tooting his own horn so much (other than his being fast - a fact, not an opinion) but Namath's. I think he was just standing up for his teammate and leader. False about Namath not being able to hold a candle to Manning. Manning has had a better, more consitent career, but Namath and Maynard are two guys who could compete in this era and the rule changes would certainly benefit them as much as anybody. These guys have supported the Jets and come to games even when the ownership and FO tried to push them away. I know Randy Beverly's son and he says his Dad still goes to every home game and this is after they traded him for a bag of peanuts one season after the super bowl despite his having 2 picks one from each HOF superstar QB and all the other bullsh*t they've put up with since.

Lol, i remember going to a knicks game when i was pretty young, and they had an old timers game at halftime. DeBuscherre went up and down the court three times and then headed back to the bench to get hooked up to the oxygen. I think he came close to dying right there on the court. Woulda been cool to see that, lol.

DeBuscherre was a hard a$$. His problem was the Dewars. I'm sure he had a few before that game. He always had a few, unless he had more than a few.

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#33 Gainzo

Gainzo

Back for another season

• Members
  • 17,106 posts
  • LocationLowell, MA

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:56 PM

Is Maynard talking about his days in the AFL/NFL where a DB could beat the crap out of a WR or today's NFL were a DBs can't do anything? Either way Maynard gets crushed by Revis.

Sorry old man, you were great back in the day but Revis would destroy you. You think Namath can read today's defenses?

#34 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 27,487 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:11 PM

Is Maynard talking about his days in the AFL/NFL where a DB could beat the crap out of a WR or today's NFL were a DBs can't do anything? Either way Maynard gets crushed by Revis.

Sorry old man, you were great back in the day but Revis would destroy you. You think Namath can read today's defenses?

Today's defenses? The ones where nobody is allowed to hit the WRs and you can't touch the QB? I think he'd have had a pretty easy time of it.

#35 Gainzo

Gainzo

Back for another season

• Members
  • 17,106 posts
  • LocationLowell, MA

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:15 PM

Today's defenses? The ones where nobody is allowed to hit the WRs and you can't touch the QB? I think he'd have had a pretty easy time of it.

Would Namath be able to handle the exotic blitz packages that are dominant in this day and age? I doubt it.

#36 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 19,347 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:27 PM

Would Namath be able to handle the exotic blitz packages that are dominant in this day and age? I doubt it.

Was Namath going to be dropped in to today's game by a time machine?

No. He would've grown up in today's systems, and he possessed the talent to be one of the best. Today's surgery techniques would've made him stronger, too.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#37 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,991 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:47 PM

Colour me racist, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Maynard, on his best day, ran about a 4.6/40. They can't all be Don Boyd Odegard.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#38 RutgersJetFan

RutgersJetFan

Bring me Solo and the Wookie

• Members
  • 16,647 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:20 PM

Colour me racist

Oh bravo...bravo.

(Chandler)'s a nice piece as long as he's the 7th most important player on your roster....I think they're going to be disappointed when they see he's just a pumped-up Drew Gooden.

#39 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 27,487 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:37 PM

Exotic blitz packages are so much more difficult to deal with than Ben Davidson kicking you in the head, wrenching your knees and stepping on your back.

#40 villain_the_foe

villain_the_foe

Super Lintendo!

• Members
  • 8,481 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:58 AM

I love Don, but Revis is better than Dieon Sanders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sroL00sxzl0

I agree that Revis is better. Entertainment wise, Sanders all the way. B)

The competition will make you better Sanchize!

#41 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 19,347 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:06 AM

Exotic blitz packages are so much more difficult to deal with than Ben Davidson kicking you in the head, wrenching your knees and stepping on your back.

Haha! The more I think about it, the dumber it is.

Who do you think would've had more success? Namath in today's NFL, or Brady in the 60's AFL? Make Brady call his own plays, take away his slot receiver, and make him throw downfield (knowing that a DE is going to get a free legal shot on him whether he gets the throw off or not) to receivers getting mugged by CB's... he'd completely flop. Lol!
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

#42 DMaynard

DMaynard

I love Leeloo

• Members
  • 6,646 posts
  • LocationYardley, PA

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:57 AM

Colour me racist, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Maynard, on his best day, ran about a 4.6/40. They can't all be Don Boyd Odegard.

Absolutely wrong. Maynard ran a legitamite recorded 9.5 100 yards. Assuming he was not slow out of the start (which he wasn't) that equates to about 4.3/4.4 forty. Forget the white/black 1960s/2011 steryotyping, Maynard could flat out fly.

The Chiefs were one of the few teams that used the 40 to time their players back in the sixties. They had two guys who ran a 4.3. WR Otis Taylor and CB Emmit Thomas. I remember Maynard burning the all pro Emmit Thomas on long bombs a couple of times.

That being said, it is not hype about Revis. He is the best CB I have ever seen.

Edited by DMaynard, 11 June 2011 - 11:05 AM.

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

#43 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,991 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:06 PM

Absolutely wrong. Maynard ran a legitamite recorded 9.5 100 yards. Assuming he was not slow out of the start (which he wasn't) that equates to about 4.3/4.4 forty. Forget the white/black 1960s/2011 steryotyping, Maynard could flat out fly.

The Chiefs were one of the few teams that used the 40 to time their players back in the sixties. They had two guys who ran a 4.3. WR Otis Taylor and CB Emmit Thomas. I remember Maynard burning the all pro Emmit Thomas on long bombs a couple of times.

That being said, it is not hype about Revis. He is the best CB I have ever seen.

I'll take your word for it, my friend. But, like tales of the Mickey Mantle 600 ft homer, it all seems pretty dubious when you consider that players who can do those things no longer exist in today's juiced-up sports world. It's hard to believe that a white dude was dropping 4.3's or anyone was hitting 600 ft au naturale. But, I will defer to your eyewitness testimony.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#44 JoeWillie

JoeWillie

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:59 PM

Haha! The more I think about it, the dumber it is.

Who do you think would've had more success? Namath in today's NFL, or Brady in the 60's AFL? Make Brady call his own plays, take away his slot receiver, and make him throw downfield (knowing that a DE is going to get a free legal shot on him whether he gets the throw off or not) to receivers getting mugged by CB's... he'd completely flop. Lol!

Excellent, excellent post.

It's been proven that when Brady gets hit, he just ain't that good.

The 60's and 70's NFL would have ate Brady up.

On the other hand, Namath would have thrown for 6,000 yards every year in today's NFL.

#45 Kleckineau

Kleckineau

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:55 PM

Plenty of fast white guys have played in the NFL and all sports for that matter.
Its all about opportunity, socioeconomics, not genetics.
Get over the inferiority complex palefaces.
Look what it did for Jimmy the Greek.
Maynard may be right or wrong regarding Revis but he has every right to say what he feels.
Hes not some scrub talkin sh!t
He earned it by being one of the best ever.
FWIW, Revis is very good but he's no Deon, Willie Brown, Mel Blount or (my pick for best ever) Rod Woodson.
"20 years ago, we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don’t let Kevin Bacon die.” Bill Murray

#46 Barcs

Barcs

Rookie Free Agent

• Banned
  • 718 posts
  • LocationNorthwest NJ

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:01 AM

False about Namath not being able to hold a candle to Manning. Manning has had a better, more consitent career, but Namath and Maynard are two guys who could compete in this era and the rule changes would certainly benefit them as much as anybody.

No offense, I love Joe Namath, but you can't compare him to Manning. I know the rules have changed to favor QBs and we play 2 more games these days, but look at the stat difference. Manning has a 2:1 TD:Pick ratio while Namath's was closer to 1:2 (a little better than that). No QB that throws more picks than TDs can be considered one of the best or better than Peyton. Namath is still my hero, but the facts is the facts.
Barcs

Posted Image

#47 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 27,487 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:40 PM

Pro Football Historical Abstract: A Hardcore Fan's Guide to All-Time Player Rankings has Maynard ranked as the 8th all-time WR. The book is far from perfect and the defensive rankings are beyond bizzare, but I don't think a top 10 WR should have to apologize for thinking he could get open against anybody.

#48 Blackout

Blackout

Circle Of Bosses

• Members
  • 32,416 posts
  • Locationhome

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:58 PM

Maynard was no Cotchery
"i'll rock forever....or at least until the Jets win the Superbowl" - Chino XL (1995)

#49 serphnx

serphnx

Holy Phoenix

• Members
  • 9,110 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:18 PM

Like Brady can? Hell Namath doesn't even need the secret tapes to do well, the dude won a SB before there were even cameras on the sidelines!

Meanwhile your poser boy can't even win a playoff game after they take the tapes away.

Keep getting your championships in September and your pointless regular season MVPs. The Jets will keep winning playoff games and aim for the big one.
The coaches change, the players change, but will the results ever?

2 time POTW winner
10/11/07
11/24/09

#50 Jbro22

Jbro22

Reporting For Duty

• Members
  • 7,740 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:27 AM

#TeamMaynard
#WhitePower

0 user(s) are reading this topic