1999 revisited??

ylekram

**** 1999. This is 2011. Compare the year to 2010 if anything. People love to live in the past. Lets think of some other bad seasons and compare them to this up and coming one, for no reason. THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

They were comparing last year to that year in the 80s when the Jets started 10-1 and then lost all remaining games and first or 2nd round of the playoffs. It's just absurd.

Last year? Really?

So you don't think a 3 time Pro Bowl QB can play anymore based on a dozen throws he made in small portions of 2 games as a backup?

OK.

A 3 time Pro Bowl QB 10 years ago. He cant even stay healthy during this shortened pre season.

Obviously his best years are behind him but that doesn't mean he can't be an adequate backup, especially short term for a few games if he had to.

The reality is that if the starting QB on any team gets hurt for an extended period of time and the backup has to finish a season, it usually doesn't end well for the team, with very few exceptions.

You might be right, but I wouldn't base it on what happened in last year's pre-season.

Bottom line is if he's on the roster when the season starts, then Rex and the staff think he can gice the team what it needs, and since they see the guy in practice every day and I don't, I'll trust they make the right decision.

I agree pretty much, but a smartass would say...Tom Brady, Jeff Hostetler, Doug Williams...off the top of my head. lol and didn't Warner go all the way in his debut, too? For a while there it was a trend...winning with back ups.

Still, I see nothing comparable to 1999 except probably in the w-l COLOMN. (I know, but objectively I see a step backward this year. Subjectively SB! lol)

Um... dude, Jacksonville lost 3 games including the playoffs and they were all to the Titans. They dismantled Miami by around 60 points in the first round. They were like top 5 in the league on O and D. Their QB? Mark Brunell.

jacksonville.always the bridesmaid,never the bride.for 5 or 6 straight years,thats all you heard.jacksonville is the favorite to represent the afc,yada,yada,yada.choke artists

Now you're talking nonsense. I've been watching football for over 30 yrs, so don't come with this drivel that I wasn't watching football in 1999. Get real. You came up with a foolish analogy to 1999 and it doesn't pass the smell test.

As to the 99 Bills, you really have no clue what you're talking about. They started off slow? The Bills were 4-1. They went on a roll? When did that happen? Are you talking about finishing the season 4-2 to get to 11-5? You want to talk about a roll? The Titans (whom you claim the Bills were better than) went 10-2 down the stretch (with a 7-1 run). That's a ROLL. That 14-2 Jaguar team that led the NFL is record? The Jags went on a 12-1 run. Heck, the Colts won the division at 13-3 that year.

The Jets, without an MVP caliber season by Vinny (like he did in 1998) were not going on a SB run, let alone with a solid backup which they didn't have. Yes, Mirer's horrible QB play cost the Jets the playoffs, but not a SB run. The Jets of 1998 were more than a "team of execution". They were 5th in points scored and 2nd in points allowed, which is fantastic balance. The Jets weren't getting that balance with a solid backup. They needed Vinny to make plays.

once again,stats prove your point.i know what i saw and nothing is gonna change my mind.i will agree to disagree on all your points

ylekram, not a single fact or metric supports your faulty memory about the events of the 1999 season. But it's certainly your right to believe what you want to believe.

and you keep googling your nfl knowledge as you always seem to know what you are talking about

Ok, so maybe a quality backup won't get you to the Super Bowl. Especially in the stacked AFC.

But you're only thinking of season ending injuries like Testaverde's. What about if Sanchez has to miss 4 games? Then the difference between Brunell winning 1 game as opposed to a quality qb winning 2 or 3, could be the difference in home field advantage.

I agree pretty much, but a smartass would say...Tom Brady, Jeff Hostetler, Doug Williams...off the top of my head. lol and didn't Warner go all the way in his debut, too? For a while there it was a trend...winning with back ups.

Still, I see nothing comparable to 1999 except probably in the w-l COLOMN. (I know, but objectively I see a step backward this year. Subjectively SB! lol)

I did say there very very few exceptions in my post. You named a few. Although Phil Simms did play 14 of those games and went 11-3 before getting hurt, so Hostetler did exactly what I said a good backup should, which is come in and give his team a chance to win for a few games. Let's not forget the Giants had a great defense and a great running game that year, much like the Jets.

If Hostetler had to play most of that season, I doubt the Giants win that year.

The question is could Brunell do this year what Hoss did in 1990?

Let's hope we don't have to find out.

Considering the fact that he's had next to zero off season work, this McElroy kid looks like he can actually play.

Sure, it's all fun and games until you're getting blitzed every play by first string NFL defenses, but I think he might be a legit backup for this team.

Archived