Chad Henne now being hailed

Jetsfan80

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/08/21/2368416/miami-dolphins-chad-henne-now.html

Miami Dolphins’ Chad Henne now being hailed

Although it’s still early, quarterback Chad Henne and receiver Brandon Marshall appear more on the same page than ever.

By jeff darlington

jdarlington@MiamiHerald.com

On the two occasions this month when the Dolphins’ offense looked as clean as it has all training camp – a scrimmage on Aug. 7 and a preseason win against the Panthers on Friday – several players gave credit to a common thread.

It wasn’t just the crisper passes, cleaner catches or deeper passes. It was the communication, among the most notably absent qualities last season.

“I love how Chad [Henne] took over the offense,” wide receiver Brandon Marshall said after Friday’s preseason win. “He’s just done a tremendous job of taking over the huddle. You need that in a quarterback.”

This is about more than Henne and Marshall, who each contributed in their own ways to a cold and dysfunctional relationship last season. But if Marshall is the one currently spearheading the praise, anything more is just icing.

The need for better communication, after all, starts and ends with Henne and Marshall. If Henne has Marshall in his corner — something that didn’t exist in the season’s second half last year — winning over the rest of the offense won’t be tough.

“We talk more than we ever have before,” Henne said Saturday night after practice. “Every play, we’re talking. If I miss a pass and he runs a route, we talk about it. We’re making sure we’re both aware of what happened.”

This might sound elementary and, considering we’re talking about two adults needing to talk more, a bit juvenile. But it’s an important revelation for two players who needed an important offseason for self-evaluations in this regard.

For Marshall’s part, he spent the past several months working on leveling his personality both on and off the field. For Henne’s part, the lockout forced him into a situation of leadership, which led to some revelations about himself.

“It’s been a mutual deal,” coach Tony Sparano said. “Brandon is a much easier communicator right now. And because of what Chad did this offseason, it helped himself that way as well. Both have done a good job of communicating with each other.”

By all indications, Henne’s fire in the huddle Friday was real. Rookie Daniel Thomas said Henne got on him about needing to run harder. Running back Reggie Bush also noted Henne’s “control of the huddle” in a game that included 296 yards of offense in the first half.

And Marshall’s praise of Henne also seemed genuine.

“The talent is there,” Marshall said. “But the leadership he’s shown from the offseason into this camp has been amazing, a huge difference. It’s helping us out a lot and getting guys in the right places.”

Sparano pointed toward an exceptional week of practice for Henne, during which “the team started to feel [Henne] a little bit.”

“I think this guy took a tremendous step forward this week on the practice field,” Sparano said.

But going back to the Aug. 7 scrimmage, Henne and Marshall already seemed to be realizing what could happen if both began to communicate better — and if Henne started to take better command of the huddle.

Both before and during the practice, Henne said Marshall and he had several conversations about what they expected of each other. It helped lead to three touchdowns between the two on the day.

anybody wanna bet that he's benched this season? The fans hate the guy, the CS is hanging on by a thread, Matt Moore will be starting by sometime in November-guaranteed

Listen to what you just said - "Matt Moore will be starting by sometime in November ..." If that doesn't fread Dolphags out, I don't know what will?

Henne: 6,246 yards, 61.1%, 27 TDs, 33 INTs, 75.3 QBR

Sanchez: 5,735 yards, 54.4%, 29 TDs, 33 INTs, 70.2 QBR

Not so sure that quoting either Sparano or Dolphins fans regarding their QB is exactly the wise choice. That franchise is in free-fall. Henne can play. Maybe.

anybody wanna bet that he's benched this season? The fans hate the guy, the CS is hanging on by a thread, Matt Moore will be starting by sometime in November-guaranteed

Yep I agree. Matt Moore got a really bum deal in Carolina. I think he would have continued his success of the previous year if they didnt let their WR corp. be gutted and injured that along with their RB's getting hurt didnt give him much of a chance to do anything. Im glad Henne is probably going to get the nod I would much rather face him than Moore. The Fins do a good job negating our blitz they are probably the best at it so I would rather have the erratic Henne throwing the football.

Not so sure that quoting either Sparano or Dolphins fans regarding their QB is exactly the wise choice. That franchise is in free-fall. Henne can play. Maybe.

You forgot to add 4 playoff road victories and in those victories Sanchez' stats are signifigantly better by average than the regular season in every category :) .

Listen to what you just said - "Matt Moore will be starting by sometime in November ..." If that doesn't fread Dolphags out, I don't know what will?

Why is it people feel the need to bitch out Matt Moore when the situation in carolina was so bad last year for a QB after the guy showed a ton of promise at the end of the previous season ? The panthers were decimated with injuries to the Oline WR and RB yet people expected Matt Moore to play well in a terrible situation ?

2009 Carolina Panthers Matt Moore 7 5 85 138 61.6 1,053 7.6 8 2 9 78 98.5

5 games 8 TD's 2 Ints 61.6 Comp

This same year before Moore took over the horrible Jake Delhomme had 8 TD's and 18 Ints in the previos 10 games.

You forgot to add 4 playoff road victories and in those victories Sanchez' stats are signifigantly better by average than the regular season in every category :) .

Oh hell yes. Not trying to say that Henne >/=Sanchez. Just that he's not the worst QB prospect of all time and is living in a no-win environment. Idiot coach, idiot owner, idiot GM. I don't know why they don't just trade him to Denver for Tebow and move on.

I like to picture you pounding the desk with your fist every time you read one of my posts. It's like a fetish.

I usually just shake my head while reading them. Every now and then I catch myself about to start typing an actual serious response, and then I remind myself who wrote the post. :-P

Archived