Jaguars WR Jason Hill: "Revis is overhyped"

Jetsfan80

http://larrybrownspo...-new-york/87475

Jason Hill Thinks Darrelle Revis Is Overhyped Because He Plays in New York

By Larry Brown September 16, 2011

Most New York football fans had never heard of Jason Hill before this week. Now, all of them will probably know his name.

The little-known Jaguars wide receiver said Wednesday the reason the Jets players get a lot of attention is not because they’re better than other players in the league, but because they play under a bigger spotlight.

“This is a league full of great players. I think sometimes they get overhyped. I talked to Drew [Coleman], Drew played there. He says it’s just the aura of New York. They got a big media. That’s not the Jacksonville paper, that’s the big New York Times paper so they get more pub. That’s what it is.

“It’s a game that we all play. He been playing the game, Revis, just as long as I’ve been playing. This is a game full of good players making plays. He just made a lot more plays on TV than we’ve made being here in Jacksonville. He’s a good player. We respect him. Hopefully he respects us because we’re going to bring it just like they’re going to bring it.”

So you think it’s a little overhyped?

“I think the whole New York is overhyped,” Hill said. “Him personally, he’s a good player, Pro Bowl player, I’m trying to make it to the Pro Bowl, too. This’ll be a good game to put some notches on our belts too. It’s the New York Times vs. the Jacksonville paper. New York Times they got a lot more viewers than you got.”

Hill is absolutely correct about one point, and he’s completely wrong about the other. Darrelle Revis is a fantastic player. He’s the best cornerback in the league, and he’s possibly the best player relative to position in the entire NFL. Revis didn’t receive the “Revis Island” nickname for nothing — he did it by shutting down the best receivers in football week after week. Every bit of praise he receives has been deserved.

As for Hill’s larger point about New York teams being overhyped, he’s right — they are. Mark Sanchez is arguably a worse quarterback than ex-Jags QB David Garrard, but most people know Sanchez because of his USC background and the attention he’s received in New York. The New York sports teams seem more important than others because they have more fans and more media covering them.

Clearly Hill has a complex about New York teams and he’s out to prove something. The problem is he hasn’t practiced this week and his Jags are likely to get spanked. Maybe Hill needs to go back to school at Trash Talk U and learn the first lesson: whatever you say, make sure you can back it up. Otherwise you end up looking foolish.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is hilarious. We're talking about a guy who has caught 55 balls in 6 seasons (equivalent of a Brad Smith without the returning abilities), who might not even play this week with a hip injury and is otherwise wholly unworthy of being covered by Revis on even one play. Yet he is criticizing the best corner in the game.

Not to mention, the reason he gets more exposure than the Jaguars is because Jacksonville can't make the playoffs while the Jets are going to AFC title games every year, in large part because of Revis.

Its not even worthy of a response from Revis or the Jets. Maybe Jason should consult with Mike Thomas after Sunday's game to see just how "overhyped" Revis is.

Revis is Over hyped???? Give me a Freakin break.....I hope Rex posts this crap on the wall and says, Hey Boys, these guys think we are over hyped....What a joke.....Jets will kick them in the nuts come sunday....As for the whole of New York Being over hyped.....This guy must have just woke up from his long slumber party...What a penis

Wow, the writer of the article should post here. He took a silly comment about Revis and NY and used it to bash Sanchez. That boy has a gift.

Truth is Mark is just plain sexy and haters gonna hate.

Bottom line - Jets have the smexiest QB in the league.

Hence why even the Jaguars, with Luke McCown as their best alternative, put him on the streets.

You know, that whole situation is still a head scratcher. The AFCS is wide open this year. Garrard has led them to a 12 win season before and eventhough he isnt great, he's definitely good enough to win that division. And now with Manning out, the division is wide open. The Jags arent a great team by any means, but they arent bad. The truth is, they've chocked away playoff births that past 2 season.

You know, that whole situation is still a head scratcher. The AFCS is wide open this year. Garrard has led them to a 12 win season before and eventhough he isnt great, he's definitely good enough to win that division. And now with Manning out, the division is wide open. The Jags arent a great team by any means, but they arent bad. The truth is, they've chocked away playoff births that past 2 season.

There are only two reasons they do that. The first is well-documented; they saved about $9 million. The other is my belief that they are desperate to begin the Blaine Gabbert era, and Luke McCown's suckitude will allow that to happen.

Had they known Manning would be out 2-3 months, maybe they don't pull the trigger and cut Garrard. But that bit of news didn't come out until AFTER they cut him. I still say it was a d*** move to cut Garrard so late. He could have certainly signed on with one of a handful of teams and competed for a starting job had he been cut even just a few weeks earlier. Maybe the Jaguars didn't want that.

There are only two reasons they do that. The first is well-documented; they saved about $9 million. The other is my belief that they are desperate to begin the Blaine Gabbert era, and Luke McCown's suckitude will allow that to happen.

Had they known Manning would be out 2-3 months, maybe they don't pull the trigger and cut Garrard. But that bit of news didn't come out until AFTER they cut him. I still say it was a d*** move to cut Garrard so late. He could have certainly signed on with a handful of teams and competed for a starting job had he been cut even just a few weeks earlier.

Exactly. Had the NFL had a regular offseason, Garrard wouldn't have even made it to training camp. The team really wanted Gabbert to win the starting job in preseason, there just wasn't enough time to get him up to speed. Had he had the benefit of OTAs and a minicamp or two, he would have played last week.

Did anyone know who this guy was before this article was posted here?

Nope and I live in Jax and have the unfortunate pleasure of hearing about them all the time. FWIW, I shot this article to all my Jags fan friends, and they all laughed and pretty much said "I dont see Revis getting a lot of action". And a couple of them directed me to some local beat writer who ripped this guy a new one.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2011/9/15/2427567/jason-hill-thinks-darrelle-revis-is-overhyped-alright

Had they known Manning would be out 2-3 months, maybe they don't pull the trigger and cut Garrard. But that bit of news didn't come out until AFTER they cut him. I still say it was a d*** move to cut Garrard so late. He could have certainly signed on with one of a handful of teams and competed for a starting job had he been cut even just a few weeks earlier. Maybe the Jaguars didn't want that.

Oh the Jags really couldnt stand Garrard. Pretty obvious with trading up for Gabbert. They did him dirty, but it came right back on them when the Peyton news was released. Guarantee if they knew this earlier, Garrad would still be a Jag.

Nope and I live in Jax and have the unfortunate pleasure of hearing about them all the time. FWIW, I shot this article to all my Jags fan friends, and they all laughed and pretty much said "I dont see Revis getting a lot of action". And a couple of them directed me to some local beat writer who ripped this guy a new one.

http://www.bigcatcou...erhyped-alright

Oh the Jags really couldnt stand Garrard. Pretty obvious with trading up for Gabbert. They did him dirty, but it came right back on them when the Peyton news was released. Guarantee if they knew this earlier, Garrad would still be a Jag.

You're just biased because you met the guy and he was nice to you. The reality is that Garrard was a farily mediocre QB.

You're just biased because you met the guy and he was nice to you. The reality is that Garrard was a farily mediocre QB.

When did I ever say different? He's very mediocre but he can win you games. Guy has an above .500 career winning %, solid completion %, and very good TD/Int ratio essentially throwing to the worst WR core in the league. He could have won that division for the Jags this year even with his mediocrity.

When did I ever say different? He's very mediocre but he can win you games. Guy has an above .500 career winning %, solid completion %, and very good TD/Int ratio essentially throwing to the worst WR core in the league. He could have won that division for the Jags this year even with his mediocrity.

The Jags and most of their fans are sick of that.

The team finally made a bold move and moved up in the draft to get Gabbert and hopefully break out of that rut.

http://larrybrownspo...-new-york/87475

Jason Hill Thinks Darrelle Revis Is Overhyped Because He Plays in New York

By Larry Brown September 16, 2011

Most New York football fans had never heard of Jason Hill before this week. Now, all of them will probably know his name.

The little-known Jaguars wide receiver said Wednesday the reason the Jets players get a lot of attention is not because they’re better than other players in the league, but because they play under a bigger spotlight.

“This is a league full of great players. I think sometimes they get overhyped. I talked to Drew [Coleman], Drew played there. He says it’s just the aura of New York. They got a big media. That’s not the Jacksonville paper, that’s the big New York Times paper so they get more pub. That’s what it is.

“It’s a game that we all play. He been playing the game, Revis, just as long as I’ve been playing. This is a game full of good players making plays. He just made a lot more plays on TV than we’ve made being here in Jacksonville. He’s a good player. We respect him. Hopefully he respects us because we’re going to bring it just like they’re going to bring it.”

So you think it’s a little overhyped?

“I think the whole New York is overhyped,” Hill said. “Him personally, he’s a good player, Pro Bowl player, I’m trying to make it to the Pro Bowl, too. This’ll be a good game to put some notches on our belts too. It’s the New York Times vs. the Jacksonville paper. New York Times they got a lot more viewers than you got.”

Hill is absolutely correct about one point, and he’s completely wrong about the other. Darrelle Revis is a fantastic player. He’s the best cornerback in the league, and he’s possibly the best player relative to position in the entire NFL. Revis didn’t receive the “Revis Island” nickname for nothing — he did it by shutting down the best receivers in football week after week. Every bit of praise he receives has been deserved.

As for Hill’s larger point about New York teams being overhyped, he’s right — they are. Mark Sanchez is arguably a worse quarterback than ex-Jags QB David Garrard, but most people know Sanchez because of his USC background and the attention he’s received in New York. The New York sports teams seem more important than others because they have more fans and more media covering them.

Clearly Hill has a complex about New York teams and he’s out to prove something. The problem is he hasn’t practiced this week and his Jags are likely to get spanked. Maybe Hill needs to go back to school at Trash Talk U and learn the first lesson: whatever you say, make sure you can back it up. Otherwise you end up looking foolish.

It's amazing how much shi+ this QB takes.

The guy is still a baby as NFL QB's go and he's already accomplished more than David Garrard will in his entire career.

What a joke.

It's amazing how much shi+ this QB takes.

The guy is still a baby as NFL QB's go and he's already accomplished more than David Garrard will in his entire career.

What a joke.

Ha, the reason people know him is because of USC and because he plays in New York. Nevermind them watching him in 6 playoffs games in his 2 year career...because those arent nationally televised games that anyone pays attention to.

Revis could not care less what this jack off had to say.

Also.....FWIW, If you compare Garrards career numbers and extrapolate Sanchez's to a similar time frame they would be Garrards are a bit better. I realize Sanchez may improve.

I know I know, DG never lost 2 AFCCG games like Sancho. However, losing 2 big games is never anything to brag about. Anyway.....

Who here would have minded NJ homeboy Garrard replacing the geezer the NYJ have as back-up.

(Ummmmmm) :face:

:character0053:

Revis could not care less what this jack off had to say.

Also.....FWIW, If you compare Garrards career numbers and extrapolate Sanchez's to a similar time frame they would be Garrards are a bit better. I realize Sanchez may improve.

I know I know, DG never lost 2 AFCCG games like Sancho. However, losing 2 big games is never anything to brag about. Anyway.....

Who here would have minded NJ homeboy Garrard replacing the geezer the NYJ have as back-up.

(Ummmmmm) :face:

:character0053:

Really what statistics are you looking at?

David Garrard started 1 game over his first 2 years in the league.

In fact he didn't start a full season of games until his 7th year, when oh by the way, he went 5-11.

If this guy plays he'll be lucky if the Jets think enough of him to put Isaiah Trufant on him.

Technically he's their # 2 receiver. When Cecil Shorts, Jarrett Dillard and Kassim Osgood make up the rest of your team's receiving corps, even a guy who has averaged 9 catches per season over the last 6 years looks pretty good.

Technically he's their # 2 receiver. When Cecil Shorts, Jarrett Dillard and Kassim Osgood is the rest of your team's receiving corps, even a guy who has averaged 9 catches per season over the last 6 years looks pretty good.

That's a scary proposition. Frankly, I'd puts odds on the fact that if Marcedes Lewis plays on Sunday, that's going to be the primary assignment of either Revis or Cromartie, while the other takes on Thomas. The rest of these guys can easily be handled by Wilson and Co.

Archived