NFL warns teams not to fake injuries

faba

NEW YORK (AP) — The NFL sent a memo Wednesday to all 32 teams warning of fines, suspensions and loss of draft picks if the league determines players faked injuries during a game.

In the memo obtained by The Associated Press, the NFL reminded teams of league policy that calls on coaches to discourage the practice, and that there was no specific rule on the topic.

However, two days after there was speculation the Giants' Deon Grant faked an injury against the Rams during Monday night's game, the NFL is warning of disciplinary action.

Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said Tuesday the team notified the league office that it suspected the Giants were feigning injuries in St. Louis' 28-16 loss. Rams quarterback Sam Bradford said it was obvious the Giants were just buying time with St. Louis running a no-huddle offense.

``They couldn't get subbed, they couldn't line up,'' Bradford said. ``Someone said, 'Someone go down, someone go down,' so someone just went down and grabbed a cramp.''

Grant was adamant about not having faked anything.

``I could see if I was walking and fell,'' he said Wednesday, speaking passionately and barely taking a breath. ``When you see after I made that tackle and bang my knee on that play, you see me bending my knee as I am walking. ... (Teammate Justin) Tuck is walking behind me and saying 'D don't run off the field. Just go down.' As I am walking, they line up, and knowing that I can't get back in my position because of the knee injury, I went down.''

Had Grant attempted to get off the field, it could have left the Giants a defender short when the ball was snapped. Of course, New York also could have called a timeout, a course of action teams might need to use in the future.

The memo from the league said:

``Going forward, be advised that should the league office determine that there is reasonable cause, all those suspected of being involved in faking injuries will be summoned promptly to this office ... to discuss the matter. Those found to be violators will be subject to appropriate disciplinary action for conduct detrimental to the game.''

The league's competition committee often has discussed this issue but has been reluctant to propose a rule that could force game officials to make judgments on injuries.

``We have been fortunate that teams and players have consistently complied with the spirit of the rule over the years and this has not been an issue for the NFL,'' the memo said. ``We are determined to take all necessary steps to ensure that it does not become an issue.''

For the most part, such delay tactics have been considered gamesmanship.

``As an offensive player, you always think guys are faking in that situation,'' Eagles guard Kyle DeVan said. ``But you don't know for sure. You don't know when guys are going to cramp up, so you have to be careful. The most important thing is players' health. You would hope guys don't do it, but it's going to happen.''

And the NFL's disciplinarians will be watching.

---

AP Pro Football Writer Rob Maaddi in Philadelphia and AP Sports Writer Richard Rosenblatt in New York, R.B. Fallstrom in St. Louis and Tom Canavan in East Rutherford, N.J., contributed to this story.

The Associated Press

I was listening to Pats radio up here on Tuesday after this game... and it was hilarious...

Patriots fans calling in complaining about defensive players "flopping" in order to slow down Brady's no-huddle offense.

Amazingly ironic... if you consider that Brady is the Reggie Miller of the NFL, flopping on the regular in order to draw roughing the QB penalties as a means of moving the chains. Something he has no problem admitting to, mind you.

Stupid frakking Pats fans.

boy the NFL sure loves points. this is impossible to prove unless the player is dumb enough to admit it or try to claim a broken bone instead of cramps.

They sure do... but you know what they love more? The NFL loves money.

Fantasy football has become a thriving source of revenue.

Fantasy football has also become a broad-reaching means of converting sports fans into NFL fans. Building NFL brand advocates at an amazing rate.

The engine for fantasy football? Points.

This has been happening forever, whats the problem now?

I was thinking the same thing, but the difference is simple. The NFL doesn't actually really care about any of this stuff happening, they just care about their imagine, and that got flushed down the toilet the second that even the commentators were calling the Giants out for faking injuries. At that moment, the casual clueless NFL fan who never would have noticed a thing now knew it was happening, and at that point the NFL became too scared that it would make them look bad, which is all they are worried about.

I still remember being at the game against the Broncos in 2008 (AKA the beginning of the end) and Denver players getting booed off the field every time they went down since someone went down literally every single time Favre rushed the offense to the line, and that's just one of a ton of examples throughout the NFL over the years.

The really pathetic part is Grant trying to defend it when it's so obviously a lie considering another player hit the deck at the same exact time and then hopped right back up as soon as he saw Grant down.

The patriots did this constantly to us in the past, and I know I've seen us do it in the past as well too. This has been going on to stop the no huddle forever, and there is absolutely not way to police it. How are you gonna say whether someone or not was hurting??

The only way they can police it is to change the "sit out one play rule". Not sure they are at that point but if a player gets injured and it requires a time out, they could require that player to sit out the rest of the series. Hard to police and extreme but this is the NFL -- they have done crazier things.

You've been summoned!

Nun_ruler[22].jpg

What is wrong with football? See below.

They sure do... but you know what they love more? The NFL loves money.

Fantasy football has become a thriving source of revenue.

Fantasy football has also become a broad-reaching means of converting sports fans into NFL fans. Building NFL brand advocates at an amazing rate.

The engine for fantasy football? Points.

The only way they can police it is to change the "sit out one play rule". Not sure they are at that point but if a player gets injured and it requires a time out, they could require that player to sit out the rest of the series. Hard to police and extreme but this is the NFL -- they have done crazier things.

I would love if there was a way to police it in order to keep teams from doing it, as it is far too soccer-esque for my liking, but I just can't think of anything that would be suitable. If you slow the game for an injury, sit out a series?? I could see that happening, but a lot can happen in a series. We'll have to see.

NEW YORK (AP) — The NFL sent a memo Wednesday to all 32 teams warning of fines, suspensions and loss of draft picks if the league determines players faked injuries during a game.

In the memo obtained by The Associated Press, the NFL reminded teams of league policy that calls on coaches to discourage the practice, and that there was no specific rule on the topic.

However, two days after there was speculation the Giants' Deon Grant faked an injury against the Rams during Monday night's game, the NFL is warning of disciplinary action.

Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said Tuesday the team notified the league office that it suspected the Giants were feigning injuries in St. Louis' 28-16 loss. Rams quarterback Sam Bradford said it was obvious the Giants were just buying time with St. Louis running a no-huddle offense.

``They couldn't get subbed, they couldn't line up,'' Bradford said. ``Someone said, 'Someone go down, someone go down,' so someone just went down and grabbed a cramp.''

Grant was adamant about not having faked anything.

``I could see if I was walking and fell,'' he said Wednesday, speaking passionately and barely taking a breath. ``When you see after I made that tackle and bang my knee on that play, you see me bending my knee as I am walking. ... (Teammate Justin) Tuck is walking behind me and saying 'D don't run off the field. Just go down.' As I am walking, they line up, and knowing that I can't get back in my position because of the knee injury, I went down.''

Had Grant attempted to get off the field, it could have left the Giants a defender short when the ball was snapped. Of course, New York also could have called a timeout, a course of action teams might need to use in the future.

The memo from the league said:

``Going forward, be advised that should the league office determine that there is reasonable cause, all those suspected of being involved in faking injuries will be summoned promptly to this office ... to discuss the matter. Those found to be violators will be subject to appropriate disciplinary action for conduct detrimental to the game.''

The league's competition committee often has discussed this issue but has been reluctant to propose a rule that could force game officials to make judgments on injuries.

``We have been fortunate that teams and players have consistently complied with the spirit of the rule over the years and this has not been an issue for the NFL,'' the memo said. ``We are determined to take all necessary steps to ensure that it does not become an issue.''

For the most part, such delay tactics have been considered gamesmanship.

``As an offensive player, you always think guys are faking in that situation,'' Eagles guard Kyle DeVan said. ``But you don't know for sure. You don't know when guys are going to cramp up, so you have to be careful. The most important thing is players' health. You would hope guys don't do it, but it's going to happen.''

And the NFL's disciplinarians will be watching.

---

AP Pro Football Writer Rob Maaddi in Philadelphia and AP Sports Writer Richard Rosenblatt in New York, R.B. Fallstrom in St. Louis and Tom Canavan in East Rutherford, N.J., contributed to this story.

The Associated Press

OOOHHH, I so scared.

Obviously what the Giants did was only acceptable in the eyes of coaches trying to win. But you can't deny it helped them win that game. The Rams were marching down the field and about to score, and Grant slowed the momentum. St. Louis was held to a field goal.

So there's no real incentive to stop doing this if all you're going to get is the equivalent of what Hans Blix threatens Kim Jong-Ill with in "Team America".

I wonder.... If Goodell actually "catches" anyone faking injuries and disciplines them.... How will the punishment compare to the spy gate punishment? And what are the odds that the one time he actually administers a fine that it goes do a team playing against the Patriots?

Archived