Opening up the OFFENSE

Superbowlbound

The Jets are known for their hard hitting blitzing defense which suffers in the 4th quarter because they are on the field too long making up for the offense or lack there of. I for one am tired of seeing good defense go to waste due to the fact the offense won't take their thumb out their A** to fart let alone to throw the ball deep. Burress,Mason and Holmes are three elite receivers that are being rendered useless because Brian S. won't open up the play book. How is Greene suppose to produce if the play book got him running up the middle into a brick wall all the time just to get 56 yard at the end of the day. What happened to running the ball to the outside, why can't the OL open up holes for Tomlinson and Greene to run though. Shonn and LT are both back that should get 100 per game. The Jets won't be super bowl bound if Brian won't open up the offense.

Some football historians and strategists suggest that the QB is vital to "opening up" an offense. Some of the crazier/dumber ones would even suggest he's more vital than the offensive coordinator, which is a position that hasn't even existed as long as the QB position and never steps on the field.

Some football historians and strategists suggest that the OC is vital to "opening up" an offense. Some of the crazier/dumber ones would even suggest he's more vital than the QB, which is a position no matter how long it has existed and never even steps on the field like other coaches controls which plays are called and executed.

Some football historians and strategists suggest that the QB is vital to "opening up" an offense. Some of the crazier/dumber ones would even suggest he's more vital than the offensive coordinator, which is a position that hasn't even existed as long as the QB position and never steps on the field.

While I do think Shottenheimer has some blame, but Sanchez ultimately has to decide when to throw it downfield. Which is like 1-2 times a game and may end up in a defenders hand 50% of the time.

Agreed. Most predictable offense in the league. We dont even attempt to open it up.

We make it very easy to defend this offense. You never have to worry about anyone getting behind you and every play is designed between the hash marks. No sideline throws, no deep balls, nothing...its very vanilla and simple to defend. A zone was too much for this offense to handle.

Even Holmes said, they need to open up the offense and have fun. You cant keep to a game plan thats not working. Schotty needs to learn how to make adjustment and coach on the fly.

Agreed. Most predictable offense in the league. We dont even attempt to open it up.

We make it very easy to defend this offense. You never have to worry about anyone getting behind you and every play is designed between the hash marks. No sideline throws, no deep balls, nothing...its very vanilla and simple to defend. A zone was too much for this offense to handle.

Even Holmes said, they need to open up the offense and have fun. You cant keep to a game plan thats not working. Schotty needs to learn how to make adjustment and coach on the fly.

Holmes knows about opening things up.

Deeply.

Will never happen, he is a Mangini era coach. They did not/do not adjust.

I think those same historians and strategists also suggest that teams will draft a QB with the skill set that best fits their offensive philosophy.

yeah look at the success that Sporano has had in South Beach now that he's "opened up the playbook".

Exactly.

And it's kind of hard to "open up the playbook" when you've had the worst offensive line in all of football this season. Which is not only the reason why we've had no rushing attack what so ever, but also the reason why Sanchez hasn't had any time to make plays out of the pocket.

Don't go blaming Shotty Jr for this... Go and blame Bill Callahan, because our enite offense has struggled, because our offensive line has played like sh*t, not because of Shotty, Sanchez or anyone else.

@ jets from queens, i see what u r saying but in every game and on every team you work with what u have. But if brian keep calling plays to run up the middle into the heart of a team defense with no luck CHANGE the F***ing play, if the OL can't block Marks blindside go to the right,if the OL can't buy Mark time up the middle call more shot guns. This year the OL is smaller than the rest of the NFLs top defensive team, knowing this Brian should call more quick outs and slants. YOU HAVE TO COMPROMISE YOUR PLAY CALLING TO FIT YOUR OFFENSE.

Exactly.

And it's kind of hard to "open up the playbook" when you've had the worst offensive line in all of football this season. Which is not only the reason why we've had no rushing attack what so ever, but also the reason why Sanchez hasn't had any time to make plays out of the pocket.

How do you figure we have the worst OL in football?

How do you figure we went from one of the best to the worst because we're missing Damien Woody? LOL come on.

I think those same historians and strategists also suggest that teams will draft a QB with the skill set that best fits their offensive philosophy.

Yeah, thats what the Jets did. They drafted a QB who came from a school with an aggressive, timing oriented passing game to man their aggressive, timing oriented offensive playbook. The problem is that he's not being anything better than mediocre on a consistent basis.

Took you a while to get ramped up... have fine carrying the banner, yet again.

Some football historians and strategists suggest that the OC is vital to "opening up" an offense. Some of the crazier/dumber ones would even suggest he's more vital than the QB, which is a position no matter how long it has existed and never even steps on the field like other coaches controls which plays are called and executed.

Wtf just happened. What does that last part even translate to?

Nice of everybody to agree, but the whole point of the original post is flawed. You do not open up the offense to protect the defense. Opening up the offense exposes the defense. That is the reason that the Jets generally do not open up the offense in the first place. It's all moot. The defense didn't give up those rushing yards to the Raiders because they were tired. They gave them up because they overpursued, had poor lane discipline and misjudged the Raiders speed. Three plays accounted for almost 150 yards on the ground.

How do you figure we have the worst OL in football?

How do you figure we went from one of the best to the worst because we're missing Damien Woody? LOL come on.

I'm not saying we have one of the worst offensive lines in football, we've had (in my eyes) the best overall offensive line over the past two years, but thus far through 3 weeks? Our offensive line has been awful. It may not have been worst in the NFL type of awful; but it's been ugly.

If you feel that being without Woody is the "only problem" we've had, well, then... You don't know much about the Jets offensive line, now do you?

- Hunter has done a horrible job trying to replace Woody. Hunter is ranked 70th out of 72 tackles right now, in regards to overall performance. He's been down right putrid.

- The loss of Tony Richardson is killing us. He's one of the greatest lead blocking FB's of all-time, and I'm sorry, but John Conner is no T-Rich. I see alot of promise in Conner, but as of right now, both Greene and LT are feeling the effects of Richardson not being here.

- Brandon Moore just hasn't been the same at RG for us. Moore was listed on the physically unable to perform list during the start of our preseason. Moore is an offensive lineman who's coming off an offseason hip surgery, so it's no surprise that he's gotten off to a slow start this season. I'm hopefull that he'll return to form sooner, rather than later. But he hasn't been the same thus far.

- Nick Mangold is currently out, and I'm sorry, but Colin Baxter isn't Nick Mangold. This rookie Baxter kid isn't even a Robert Turner type of overall talent. Yes, it's true, as of right now... We have a 3rd string center starting for us, a rookie at that.

If you truly believe that not having Woody is the "problem"... You're wrong.

Don't go blaming Shotty Jr for this either.

@Forza Rhinos Listen all defenses gives up bigs plays from game to game. The Jets for the most part have done a good job limiting the amount of yardage gained.The offense on the other hand has not been competive enough to ease the load for the defense. When you don't score you make it harder on the defense. When your opponent score you score right back not play Chad Pennington with dink and dunk plays not go three and out and put your defense back on the field. Opening up the offense helps the defense conserve energy to play that much harder the next series

@Forza Rhinos Listen all defenses gives up bigs plays from game to game. The Jets for the most part have done a good job limiting the amount of yardage gained.The offense on the other hand has not been competive enough to ease the load for the defense. When you don't score you make it harder on the defense. When your opponent score you score right back not play Chad Pennington with dink and dunk plays not go three and out and put your defense back on the field. Opening up the offense helps the defense conserve energy to play that much harder the next series

Once again. False. If you want the defense to perform best, you run, run and run some more. Even when it isn't working. You eat clock and take your time. That's why the Jets claim to be ground and pound.

@Forza, I think u may be missing the point, the jets are slow starters running the ball eating up clock when your opponet is up and u haven't scored is just bad play calling. You run the ball to open up play action quick outs slants and deep throws.Like I said before the defense has been good at limiting yardage gained, but if they can't score..they don't win.

@Forza, I think u may be missing the point, the jets are slow starters running the ball eating up clock when your opponet is up and u haven't scored is just bad play calling. You run the ball to open up play action quick outs slants and deep throws.Like I said before the defense has been good at limiting yardage gained, but if they can't score..they don't win.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. It's pretty simple (and silly) to say "Score more points!" If it were that easy everybody would do it. NOT opening up the offense is how they protect the D. Do the Colts and Bears protect the D? I sure as hell don't think so.

@ Forza, look at all the top team in each division, the Patriots,Steelers,colts,chargers,saints,rams,packers and the eagles. What do they all have in common? they all are opening up the offense. They score enough points so the defense don't have to made as many stops as other teams. think about it.

Archived