How do you cope?

OzJet

I'm fairly new to following the NFL, I only really started taking an interest back in 2009 due to some new friends, but my interest has grown rapidly since that point.

I'm from Australia, and as some on JN may know, our football is a completely different sport, but my question relates to the structure of the competition.

The Australian Football League (AFL) does not have a conference/division structure, it is simply the top 8 teams (the AFL grew from 16 to 17 this year, with an 18th team joining next year) making the playoffs, or finals as we call them, after the 22 regular season games.

With the shorter season that the NFL has in relation to the Aussie game, and the playoff qualifications being tougher (win your div or be one of 2 next best in conference), I've noticed the pressure seems to get high, and quick.

After 3 or 4 games of the NFL season, it's already clear that some teams won't make it, and some that were expected to make it, need to get moving if they want to reach the post season.

So, after that long winded intro, my question is, as a fan, how do you handle that pressure so early in the season?

My team in the AFL hasn't made the postseason since 2001, and has only done it twice since 1982, so I am used to mediocrity and the slow start to a season doesn't really get to me because I'm not expecting great things.  But you guys here seem to expect success, and as such, being a little behind the 8-ball early on seems like a huge deal.

I'm curious as to your thoughts, and how you perceive the pressure/expectations.

I hope I haven't lost you with too much rambling, and Mods, if this is in the wrong place, I apologise, and please move it at your leisure.

Cheers.

Alcohol. Non-prescriptions pills...followed by prescription pills. Women. If all else fails, do what Tom Shane does and pick up a drifter to choke you while you rub one out. (Not sure why I picked TS for this, but I'm gonna roll with it..sorry TS)

However, nice first post and in all honesty, it does kind of suck to know that you're out of the playoffs so early. If you suck, you basically live for the draft and keep up hope that your franchise saving player or coach is only a year away.

Good post, but always keep in mind... Our franchise hasn't won a championship since 1968-1969. As a fan base, we're used to disappointment, losing seasons and heart breaking postseason loses.

I'm 26 years of age, been in love with this Jets franchise since as early as I can remember; 1994 to be exact. If we could live through a 1-15 season back in 1996, as a fan base... We can live through anything. Even though Parcells quit on us, many of us will always have a special place in our hearts for Bill Parcells for helping turn our franchise around. Took us from 1-15, to 9-7 followed by a 12-4 season leading us to the AFCCG back in 1998. He turned our franchise around.

I've seen the Jets only 1 game away from the super bowl 3 times now. We've lost all 3 games. 1998 against the Broncos. 2009 against the Colts and last season against the Steelers. Losing our 1998 AFC championship game devastated me as a young kid (early teen). We had the lead at halftime, Vinny was known as Broadway Vinny that season, and we blew the game. That was the first time, and the last time I've ever cried over the Jets. 2009 really took alot out of me as a fan, because it took us 11 long years to get back to the AFCCG, and once again, I seen my Jets blow a 2nd half lead against Manning and the Colts. I almost cried it hurt so bad. Last year crushed me, for the simple fact... We went into both Indy and NE, and eliminated Manning and the Colts and Brady and the Patriots. I thought the 3rd time would be our charm. It felt like destiny. We had everything going for us. And then, we seen the worst first half of Jets football that I've ever seen. What hurt the most? Is we made one hell of a comeback, but fell just short. That loss hurt so bad, that I had no feeling. I was numb and couldn't (and didn't) watch the SB.

How do I cope with Jet loses? During the regular season... After the Jets lose? I can't watch anymore football for the day. I dread coming to this web-site after a loss, and I also can't stand watching anything NFL related until at least Friday. Now, if the Patriots are playing? I'll watch, just in hope, that they lose. After playoff loses? Lets just say this, my wife already knowns the type of stress relief that I need ahaha. Yeah, it's hard being a Jets fan, but one thing about our fan base? We enjoy winning like no other fan base. We're on cloud 9 after wins. Loses? They take alot out of us.

I didn't mean to downplay the Jets history, and the frustrating plight of its fans. I'm aware of the lack of ultimate success, but I see 6 playoff appearances in the last decade as success. Making the AFCCG the last 2 years is where my comment about the guys here expecting success came from, as that formline warrants the expectation.

Thanks for the replies.

This season is worse than most. The Packers look great. The Saints and Lions look pretty good. Every other team has a reason to be very worried. The Ravens looked like world beaters against the Jets and Steelers, not so much against the Titans who lost to the Jaguars. The Jaguars! The Patriots have to be a little nervous after sh*tting the bed against the Bills, but the Chargers have to worry about how badly they were smacked by the Pats and Norv Turner. After winning the offseason, the Eagles must be humiliated. The Texans look pretty good, but the Giants should be 2-2 and doesn't everybody think the Lions, Bills, Redskins, Bucs and Niners will come back to earth?

It's a roller coaster. One week you are a world beater and the next you are in the Luck sweepstakes.

I didn't mean to downplay the Jets history, and the frustrating plight of its fans. I'm aware of the lack of ultimate success, but I see 6 playoff appearances in the last decade as success. Making the AFCCG the last 2 years is where my comment about the guys here expecting success came from, as that formline warrants the expectation.

Thanks for the replies.

I understand where your coming from. Now, I obviously wasn't around for the Joe Namath era, but under Rex and Sanchez? This has been, by far, the most exciting Jets era I've ever been apart of (as a fan).

Drafted a potential franchise QB in Sanchez. Watching a QB develope over the past 3 years has been tough to watch at times, but it's been rewarding, especially come postseason play. He's played lights during the playoffs. Sanchez already holds the Jets all-time record (as a quarterback) for career wins during the postseason. Landed one of the greatest Jet coaches of all-time in Rex Ryan. Two consecutive seasons of top 5 D's. Two consecutive seasons of top 5 offensive rushing attacks. Actually ranked #1 in both rushing offense and overall defense in 2009. Franchise LT in Ferguson. All-Pro center in Mangold. All-World CB in Revis, a corner who's on the verge of going down as the greatest coverage corner of all-time. Two very good-to-great IMLB's in Scott and Harris. We've gone 3-2 against the hated Patriots under Rex and even eliminated NE from the playoffs, on the road in NE last season. Greatest special teams coach in Westhoff. I can go on and on... When HOF players such as Tomlinson wanna play for you? You know you're on the verge of something special.

Back to back AFC Championship games? Growing up, after not being back for 11 years... I never throught I'd enjoy the Jets as much as I've enjoyed them over the past two years. Some people call me a homer, it is what it is. I'm just thankful that we're relevant once again. True contenders.

I expect to win every game, because I know we have that type of team. A team that can beat anyone.

Is this Ben Graham? This is Ben Graham isn't it... oh, admit it... /Stewie Griffin voice

Sorry to disappoint.

Although, I did see him back here in Melbourne, out on the golf course back in April during the lockout. Hit one of the worst hooks I've ever seen.

I expect to win every game, because I know we have that type of team. A team that can beat anyone.

Thanks for that post, it does help to illustrate that expectation I was talking about.

With that expectation, the Jets average start, and the playoff qualifying conditions, do you guys perceive that to be a huge amount of pressure for the team already, and subsequently stress for the fans? Or am I overstating it somewhat?

I'm fairly new to following the NFL, I only really started taking an interest back in 2009 due to some new friends, but my interest has grown rapidly since that point.

I'm from Australia, and as some on JN may know, our football is a completely different sport, but my question relates to the structure of the competition.

The Australian Football League (AFL) does not have a conference/division structure, it is simply the top 8 teams (the AFL grew from 16 to 17 this year, with an 18th team joining next year) making the playoffs, or finals as we call them, after the 22 regular season games.

With the shorter season that the NFL has in relation to the Aussie game, and the playoff qualifications being tougher (win your div or be one of 2 next best in conference), I've noticed the pressure seems to get high, and quick.

After 3 or 4 games of the NFL season, it's already clear that some teams won't make it, and some that were expected to make it, need to get moving if they want to reach the post season.

So, after that long winded intro, my question is, as a fan, how do you handle that pressure so early in the season?

My team in the AFL hasn't made the postseason since 2001, and has only done it twice since 1982, so I am used to mediocrity and the slow start to a season doesn't really get to me because I'm not expecting great things. But you guys here seem to expect success, and as such, being a little behind the 8-ball early on seems like a huge deal.

I'm curious as to your thoughts, and how you perceive the pressure/expectations.

I hope I haven't lost you with too much rambling, and Mods, if this is in the wrong place, I apologise, and please move it at your leisure.

Cheers.

You root for a bad team in the AFL so you decide to root for the Jets for some relief? What the hell is wrong with you?

You root for a bad team in the AFL so you decide to root for the Jets for some relief? What the hell is wrong with you?

I find it basically impossible to just pick a team to follow in a sport that I didn't grow up on. I've been following the NBA for years, and still don't have a team for this reason, same as a couple of other sports around the world.

I picked the Jets because I'm going to be in the USA later this year, and am able to get to a game. A Jets game. So I figured I'd root for the home team.

^^^^^

You will enjoy yourself mixing with our yobbos -- almost as much bum-cleavage here as at the cricket.

I'd be staggered if there was any bum-cleavage on display in December in NYC!

If there is, well, then I'd know for sure that these fans are totally bat-sh*t crazy.

My team in the AFL hasn't made the postseason since 2001, and has only done it twice since 1982, so I am used to mediocrity and the slow start to a season doesn't really get to me because I'm not expecting great things. But you guys here seem to expect success, and as such, being a little behind the 8-ball early on seems like a huge deal.

Cheers.

start filling out mock drafts in october

Archived