Woodley over Revis as AFC Defensive Player of the Month

ZachEY

PROFOOTBALLTALK.COM

LaMarr Woodley’s status for Sunday is in doubt, but his work in October won him a prize.

The Steelers have announced that Woodley was named the AFC Defensive Player of the Month for October. Woodley recorded 7.5 sacks during the month and had two sacks in each of the team’s last three games to make him a deserving and fairly easy choice for the honor. He also had 25 tackles and one interception during the five Steelers games in October. OUTRAGE

Woodley’s efforts to hold onto the crown in November will be hampered by the hamstring injury he suffered near the end of last Sunday’s 25-17 win over the Patriots. There have been conflicting reports about his availability for Sunday’s game against the Ravens, but he went out with a bang by sacking Tom Bradytwice in Week Eight.

There hasn’t been an announcement yet about the AFC Offensive Player of the Month, but it could result in more hardware for the Steelers. Ben Roethlisbergerwas the conference Offensive Player of the Week twice in October, making him a pretty strong contender for the prize.

Meh, stats win awards... this isn't particularly shocking. I've said it all along, with Allen and Ware on pace to break the sack record, both are far ahead of Revis when it comes to likelihood of taking home DPOY. The monthly awards are no different.

Word.

Besides, if they really gave it to the best defensive player of the month, Revis would win it every month and that would be boring.

I'm not sure why some of you are shocked.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again... If Revis couldn't win the award back in 2009, after having the greatest season ever from the CB position, while completely shutting down and eliminating WR's such as Andre Johnson, Randy Moss (2x), Colston, Owens (2x), Steve Smith, White, Wayne (2x) and Chad Johnson (2x)... The NFL may never give Revis the award, for the simple fact, he doesn't get tested enough inorder to wrack up 12+ INT's or sexy stats etc.

I could care less if Revis never wins this award, because as long as he helps us bring home the Vince Lombardi trophy, sorry Joe Namath; but Revis will go down as the greatest Jet of all-time, if not the greatest CB ever.

Revis can't win this award because he is not eligible. You see, he's been removed from the list of mere players and placed on his own list entitled: REVIS. Revis has won all awards in the REVIS category. This category is made for for individuals who are too good to be considered for mere "player awards". Of course this category only has one player. Revis. And Revis is ahead in the voting for all categories.

I'm not sure why some of you are shocked.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again... If Revis couldn't win the award back in 2009, after having the greatest season ever from the CB position, while completely shutting down and eliminating WR's such as Andre Johnson, Randy Moss (2x), Colston, Owens (2x), Steve Smith, White, Wayne (2x) and Chad Johnson (2x)... The NFL may never give Revis the award, for the simple fact, he doesn't get tested enough inorder to wrack up 12+ INT's or sexy stats etc.

I could care less if Revis never wins this award, because as long as he helps us bring home the Vince Lombardi trophy, sorry Joe Namath; but Revis will go down as the greatest Jet of all-time, if not the greatest CB ever.

Too bad this season is so far better then his 09' one.

Allen from the Vikings, Ware from the Cowboys, and Woodley from the Steelers are the only ones near him

Allen, I can't see winning due to the horrific record of the Vikings.

Although Ware performs night in and night out, I truly believe Revis makes a bigger impact than Ware.

Woodley is playing lights out, but I don't think its enough to win the DPOY award, especially if he's going to miss some time now.

Allen from the Vikings, Ware from the Cowboys, and Woodley from the Steelers are the only ones near him

Allen, I can't see winning due to the horrific record of the Vikings.

Although Ware performs night in and night out, I truly believe Revis makes a bigger impact than Ware.

Woodley is playing lights out, but I don't think its enough to win the DPOY award, especially if he's going to miss some time now.

Pass rushers are sexier than shutdown corners QB's are afraid to throw at.

For what its worth Joe McKnight was named Special Teams player of the month.

not bad for a fifth rounder. I was down on him as a rb, but brad smith was a midrounder that filled a similar role, and he was an asset to the team. No reason McKnight can't develop into a ST ace. He's already shown flashes in that area and he'll improve the more he gets on the field.

Archived