Sanchez regressing? No, not quite

Flash73

Jets’ Sanchez learning to brush criticisms aside

http://sports.yahoo....-focusedsanchez

By DENNIS WASZAK Jr., AP Sports Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP)—Mark Sanchez tries not to concern himself with what people say about him. And, he knows they say plenty.

There are those who think the New York Jets quarterback will never be an elite NFL player or lead the team to a Super Bowl. Still, there are others who believe he’s the undisputed leader of the franchise, well on his way to being a star after two straight trips to the AFC championship game.

“Going through the experiences I have on the field where you win a few games, you lose a few games, you win big games or lose a stretch of games,” Sanchez said Wednesday, “you hear it all.”

Some fans and media compare Sanchez to quarterbacks such as New England’s Tom Brady or Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers and insist he’ll never come close to playing at their level. They also scoffed when coach Rex Ryan called Sanchez an “elite” quarterback during training camp.

“If you’re basing everything on statistics and everything else, then maybe he wouldn’t be an elite quarterback, but I base things on wins,” Ryan said. “Obviously, we’re not where we want to be this season. We’re at 4-3 right now, but I think when you look at his history, he’s tied for the most road playoff victories in the history of the National Football League, and that’s not bad for a guy who’s into his third season. So I’ll go ahead and take him.

“You can call him elite or not if you want, that’s fine. I like where he’s at.”

That means Ryan certainly doesn’t agree with those who have suggested Sanchez has regressed in his third NFL season. Truth is, Sanchez is off to the best statistical start of his career. Sure, his 55.8 completion percentage ranks among the league’s worst, but it’s still a point better than last season and two points better than his rookie year.

He has thrown for 1,545 yards and 12 touchdowns—just five off his career high—and only six interceptions. Sanchez’s 83.0 quarterback rating is right in the middle of the pack, but also marks a jump from his first two seasons.

But with the Jets (4-3) facing a crucial two-game stretch against AFC rivals Buffalo and then New England, Sanchez knows he needs to be even better. A second-half playoff run will likely depend on it.

“One of the most important things is the fact that as good as they say you are, you probably aren’t that good, and as bad as they say you are, you’re probably not that bad,” Sanchez said. “You just have to take the whole thing in stride and rely on your teammates, call on these guys to play their best and when it’s going great, dish out the praise. When it’s going bad, absorb all of the criticism and move on.”

Through it all, he’s managing his critics and wide receivers’ expectations with poise. That was clear to his teammates in the midst of the Jets’ three-game losing streak earlier this season.

“I think he’s handled it great,” said wide receiver Patrick Turner, a former teammate of Sanchez at Southern California. “When you have a guy on your team who’s a quarterback that can get guys fired up by what he says before the game or calling a meeting, that’s just maturity. I feel like he’s just grown. He’s the same old Mark to me, but in this business, he’s done a great job.”

One big issue has been keeping his big-name receivers, Plaxico Burress and Santonio Holmes, satisfied in the offense. The Jets were a throw-first team early in the season, but have returned to their “Ground-and-Pound” approach, something Ryan insists is a huge key to success.

With the team struggling to find its offensive identity early, Holmes’ production has been far from elite, especially since the Jets re-signed him to a five-year, $50 million deal in the offseason. Holmes has just 22 catches for 311 yards and three scores, and there was a report recently that he was unhappy with how he’s being used.

“Never heard that one,” Holmes said. “Next question. I didn’t talk to anybody about it. Never heard about it.”

But is he happy with his role?

“We’re here winning ballgames right now,” Holmes said.

Hardly a ringing endorsement, but Sanchez deals with that the same way he has with everything else.

“We’re not in the business of keeping people smiling,” he said. “We’re in the business of winning.”

Sanchez has done lots of that during his football career, including back at USC, when he led the Trojans to a Rose Bowl victory over Penn State in 2009 a few months before being the No. 5 pick in the NFL draft. He played on a big college stage at USC, but that experience did little to prepare him for the red-hot New York spotlight.

“It helped, but it was always so good at SC,” Sanchez said. “There was no adversity. How many times did I have to play a fourth-quarter game and really come back? In 16 games, twice, and we lost them both. So it’s like, `What can this guy really do? Who knows?’ It’s a crapshoot.”

His lowest NFL moment came against the Bills as a rookie when he threw five interceptions and Ryan considered pulling him. Fans flooded sports talk shows begging the Jets to bench him.

“Yeah, it was like, `Nope, this guy’s not ready for that,”’ Sanchez said. “Then last year, we won four games in a row on the last play almost. So, however many fourth-quarter comebacks we have now just becomes a part of you. It’s one of your tools in your toolbox and you go to it when you need it.”

Such as in the Jets’ last game against the Chargers, when Sanchez helped lead New York to a 27-21 victory that sent the team into the bye confident again with a two-game winning streak. It was also Sanchez’s seventh fourth-quarter comeback in the NFL.

“He’s our general,” Holmes said. “He keeps us under control. We have to control him a little bit when he loses his cool, but he’s one of those guys that’s always tapping us on the back: `I got you next time.’ Just keeping us all high spirited. … As far as the things he has to control, he has a lot on his plate and he’s doing a real good job of controlling it.”

If you’re basing everything on statistics and everything else, then maybe he wouldn’t be an elite quarterback, but I base things on wins. Obviously, we’re not where we want to be this season. We’re at 4-3 right now, but I think when you look at his history, he’s tied for the most road playoff victories in the history of the National Football League, and that’s not bad for a guy who’s into his third season. So I’ll go ahead and take him. You can call him elite or not if you want, that’s fine. I like where he’s at.

The scary thing is, I think he actually believes this.

I don't understand the claim that he's regressed. He has improved in almost every statistical category.

Now his completion percentage still SUCKS, and I'm not sure why it's so TERRIBLE, considering the kid never passes further than 20 yards.. but again, he's improved in almost every major category.

I don't understand the claim that he's regressed. He has improved in almost every statistical category.

Now his completion percentage still SUCKS, and I'm not sure why it's so TERRIBLE, considering the kid never passes further than 20 yards.. but again, he's improved in almost every major category.

improving to mediocrity!

Rex Ryan said:

If you’re basing everything on statistics and everything else, then maybe he wouldn’t be an elite quarterback, but I base things on wins. Obviously, we’re not where we want to be this season. We’re at 4-3 right now, but I think when you look at his history, he’s tied for the most road playoff victories in the history of the National Football League, and that’s not bad for a guy who’s into his third season. So I’ll go ahead and take him. You can call him elite or not if you want, that’s fine. I like where he’s at.

But doesnt Rex have to say this?

Wouldnt he be admitting a mistake by the NYJ to have drafted him so high should he say otherwise?

Also love the continuous ref to road playoff wins. Big deal. What about winning more reg season games or an AFCE title to get some home playoff games?

Also, why no ref to 2 AFCCG losses in a row? I mean he was the starting QB for those games no? How many QBs have lost 2 in a row?? Not exactly brag material in mybook.

Also love the continuous ref to road playoff wins. Big deal. What about winning more reg season games or an AFCE title to get some home playoff games?

Name 1 QB from Sanchez draft class and on that has done this. Hell, I'll throw in the draft class ahead of him as well. Hey, you know what? Let's throw in the draft class before that, too. So we're giving other quarterbacks 2 extra years to see if they can have as much playoff success....

We've got Freeman, Stafford, Flacco, Ryan, Russell, Kolb, Quinn, Beck, Edwards, Thigpen, Brohm, Henne, White, Tebow, Clausen, McCoy, Bradford, anyone I'm missing?

Would you like to point out the QB from that list that has had more playoff success than Sanchez? Is anyone from that list even CLOSE?

You wanna go back and give other QB's a third extra year? You probably have to go back to Rodgers to find the guy you're looking for. How many years has he been in the NFL, 6 years? Granted he didn't start right away but I guess years of sitting behind one of the greatest QB's in history can't hurt.

Also, why no ref to 2 AFCCG losses in a row? I mean he was the starting QB for those games no? How many QBs have lost 2 in a row?? Not exactly brag material in mybook.

You gotta be in it to win it. It can't even be a disappointment if you don't get there in the first place. True story: Sanchez has gotten there in 100% of his attempts.

(As long a bunch of idiots on the radio are making some kind of argument about 0-2 after the bye being a big deal, why don't we go ahead and make a big deal out of Sanchez AFC championship game streak?)

Hahaha I love it. We are one week closer to the Sanchez redemption. Im not going over the fact that a terrible Ravens game (30% comp / 30 rating / no mangold) is essential to keep his statline out of the top ten, since even so called pro's cant see that. Very soon, that game will wash away and Mark will be a top ten QB who wins big games and he will stay there for his career. Why? because he's that good. Why? Because we are 4-3 with NO running game, with a sparatic defense, with 3 of our top 4 receivers gone, replaced with ONE aging player who needed six games to 'warm up' ....you could say he has CARRIED this f---kin team. lol It's only a matter of time, though, because when his passer rating is over 90, comp% is over 60, and he keeps throwing TDs 2 to 1 over picks, there will be nothing to complain about....unless of course you dont care for Hispanic QBs !! hahaha

Hey, JN, humor me. Show of hands----who here said Me-vis was overrated?? Come on. Nobody? Yeah right. lol You know who you are.....remember lancemehl said it when you talk Mark Sanchez three years from now. lmao

See you guys after the game! 5-3! peace

Hahaha I love it. We are one week closer to the Sanchez redemption. Im not going over the fact that a terrible Ravens game (30% comp / 30 rating / no mangold) is essential to keep his statline out of the top ten, since even so called pro's cant see that. Very soon, that game will wash away and Mark will be a top ten QB who wins big games and he will stay there for his career. Why? because he's that good. Why? Because we are 4-3 with NO running game, with a sparatic defense, with 3 of our top 4 receivers gone, replaced with ONE aging player who needed six games to 'warm up' ....you could say he has CARRIED this f---kin team. lol It's only a matter of time, though, because when his passer rating is over 90, comp% is over 60, and he keeps throwing TDs 2 to 1 over picks, there will be nothing to complain about....unless of course you dont care for Hispanic QBs !! hahaha

Hey, JN, humor me. Show of hands----who here said Me-vis was overrated?? Come on. Nobody? Yeah right. lol You know who you are.....remember lancemehl said it when you talk Mark Sanchez three years from now. lmao

I am prepared to live with the burden of Sanchez's assumed futuregreatness*.

*My own terminology.

his % does still suck, and you really shouldn't eliminate 1 game but lets talk Baltimore, where he was just awful, out of the equation. 129/231 (55.8) turns into 118/196 or 60.2%. So one putrid game has skewed his stats from much better to regressing.

The video made me realize one thing.... we miss Braylon Edwards as a deep threat.

The video made me realize one thing.... we miss Braylon Edwards as a deep threat.

Once again I wonder why anyone considers Santonio Holmes a #1 receiver. It is truly a mystery to me.

He rarely gets 1,000 yards, doesn't stretch the field all that well, doesn't catch a ton of passes, doesn't have any misc. qualities (leadership, good blocking, frequently commanding double teams, not a beast in the red-zone, etc.) He accumulates decent stats, and has the ability to make the occasional circus catch, but that's not even close to enough to make a #1 receiver.

Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Wes Welker, DeSean Jackson, Greg Jennings, Brandon Marshall, Mike Wallace, etc.. these are the types of guys that are #1 receivers. They can have an impact in any game. Holmes has 5-6 good games a season.

Once again I wonder why anyone considers Santonio Holmes a #1 receiver. It is truly a mystery to me.

He rarely gets 1,000 yards, doesn't stretch the field all that well, doesn't catch a ton of passes, doesn't have any misc. qualities (leadership, good blocking, frequently commanding double teams, not a beast in the red-zone, etc.) He accumulates decent stats, and has the ability to make the occasional circus catch, but that's not even close to enough to make a #1 receiver.

Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Wes Welker, DeSean Jackson, Greg Jennings, Brandon Marshall, Mike Wallace, etc.. these are the types of guys that are #1 receivers. They can have an impact in any game. Holmes has 5-6 good games a season.

Holmes is a low end #1.

Look at Dustin Keller.. it's not an accident that he's open more often. I don't think Schottenheimer knows how to work with someone like Holmes. He appears to prefer the 6'5" run a fade type receiver.

“It helped, but it was always so good at SC,” Sanchez said. “There was no adversity. How many times did I have to play a fourth-quarter game and really come back? In 16 games, twice, and we lost them both. So it’s like, `What can this guy really do? Who knows?’ It’s a crapshoot.”

This was my biggest gripe with him coming out and clearly this portion of his game hasnt been a problem. He handled adversity well and is great playing from behind. Pun intended.

member the play vs the chargers where tone was open for an easy TD, but sanchez took the sack ? last year, he would have tried to chuck it, had his arm hit as he threw and would have thrown a wounded duck for an INT

I think that is very hard for high draft picks to learn, sometimes you have to live to fight another day

I have faith in the kid and think he is going to be an elite QB in this league in a few years.

IMO, once this o-line is stable again and continues to play their butts off, we'll see the maturation of Mark Sanchez "and Greene".

Remember, we missed about 40 much-needed workouts due to the lockout.

And...once again...for the 3rd time in as many seasons, Sanchez has to jell with a new receiving corps.

Peyton threw something like 30 INTs as a rook and he didn't turn out to be too bad. :winking0001:

For the record, since there is obviously this Sanchez "thing" going on, similar to the Me-vis and to a less extent, because there is always some validity to dogging the OC, the Schotty thing, which was previously the Herm/Hackett/Heimdinger thing and so on-- (and of course, you got the compiler, Curtis Martin, Slo- Mo Lewis, lazy Abe.....you get the point. I personally like they way this played out, giving me a little 'side-story' so to speak....just got my $30 6 jersey from Modells;still looking for a sombrero (x-mas? at least I know he'll be here for a LONG time lol unlike my Keyshawn and Santana x-mas gifts...at any rate....)

I am wondering, when he finishes the year in the top 10 (using the offical qb rating, of course), and he will, I stake my sparkling reputation on it, will that end the debate? Or will there be more to it? I mean, I would think his performance up to now (4 playoffs, best jet qb record ever, 4-3 carrying the offense with NO running game and a mediocre d to this point, 8 game winning drives (in relation, Brady has 25) ....blah blah blah) would do it, but I'm wrong, so

yeah, top ten, which would be with a rating over 90, comp over 60%, 2/1 TD (maybe 25-12 - ish), 4000 yards ---which is about where he'll be------would that finally make us one big happy family? or is this about MORE than football?

Go Jets! Go #6!

For the record, since there is obviously this Sanchez "thing" going on, similar to the Me-vis and to a less extent, because there is always some validity to dogging the OC, the Schotty thing, which was previously the Herm/Hackett/Heimdinger thing and so on-- (and of course, you got the compiler, Curtis Martin, Slo- Mo Lewis, lazy Abe.....you get the point. I personally like they way this played out, giving me a little 'side-story' so to speak....just got my $30 6 jersey from Modells;still looking for a sombrero (x-mas? at least I know he'll be here for a LONG time lol unlike my Keyshawn and Santana x-mas gifts...at any rate....)

I am wondering, when he finishes the year in the top 10 (using the offical qb rating, of course), and he will, I stake my sparkling reputation on it, will that end the debate? Or will there be more to it? I mean, I would think his performance up to now (4 playoffs, best jet qb record ever, 4-3 carrying the offense with NO running game and a mediocre d to this point, 8 game winning drives (in relation, Brady has 25) ....blah blah blah) would do it, but I'm wrong, so

yeah, top ten, which would be with a rating over 90, comp over 60%, 2/1 TD (maybe 25-12 - ish), 4000 yards ---which is about where he'll be------would that finally make us one big happy family? or is this about MORE than football?

Go Jets! Go #6!

I'm not as down on him as most, but that would DEFINITELY end it for me. You have my word.

Go Jets! Go #6!

All you need to do is take a look at the "Wes Welker" thread to see that message boards have turned fans in to ego maniacs who can't stand to be wrong. They root agains their own team or spin their position so they won't look wrong. Some Jet fans hate Sanchez and always will. Some hate him but will spin their original statements if he blossoms. Me? He drives me nuts at times with his inconsistency but I just have to keep reminding myself how young he is and what he's managed to do in a very short time. I believe!

He's on pace for about 3700 yards in a year where three or four QB's -one of them a rookie- could potentially break the all time record. I think we have to wait another year before the Jets have the second 4000 yard passer since having the league's first in Joe Namath.

His completion percentage is still low. I don't see how the winter comes along and Sanchez improves on it, and throws for more yards in the process. Jets are going more ground and pound, and Sanchez will get fewer throws, his comp % will probably drop along with them, and he'll finish around 3500 yards. The 2:1 TD:int ratio is nice, and he needs to keep those int's down. If he leads a drive and then the team gets a rushing TD, that's fine with me.

My biggest issue with him is his yards per attempt, which is one of the lowest numbers in the league. It's certainly tied to comp percentage, and I think it's a better indicator of how a QB's doing than the QBR system, which sucks. Or the new ESPN crap, which is worse. Sanchez averages 6.7 ypa. Aaron Rogers averages 9.9 (which is sick!). Brees, Brady, Newton, Manning, Vick, Roethlisberger, Schaub, Rivers all average over 8. Newton's doing it completing just (just?) 60.6% of his passes.

That top eight is what he's got to crack. He's got to get his completion percentage up into the 63+% range, and needs to get his ypa into the 7.7+ range. He's got a long ways to go, and he's not going to get there this year. It could be that Schotty's holding him back. It could. I think that's something they need to explore, because as you've said; Sanchez is likely to be here for a long time.

Would you like to point out the QB from that list that has had more playoff success than Sanchez? Is anyone from that list even CLOSE?

Well there ya go with the false assumption that MS was responsible for the NYJ making the post season when anyone with 2 eyes can tell you they made the playoffs in spite of him with a solid run game and good defense.

AFCCCG 2 losses = bottom line. He is a pouty little loser with a below avg. arm.

As far as your QB list goes, just because they dont have as much playoff exp does not mean MS is a better QB. It is a team sport. There are 4-5 guys you list that were better picks than MS. (Stafford Ryan Flacco Freeman)

Well there ya go with the false assumption that MS was responsible for the NYJ making the post season when anyone with 2 eyes can tell you they made the playoffs in spite of him with a solid run game and good defense.

You know, with a rookie QB, that usually is the case. What did you expect? Good on him to just get there in the first place. Few have done so....

AFCCCG 2 losses = bottom line.

Except, and I'm going to speak for the vast majority of this board right now... it's not at all clear why that's a bottom line, nor why that would be a BAD bottom line for a 2 year starter. It's not even bad for a vet.

He is a pouty little loser with a below avg. arm.

Except he's been a winner since the first day he came into this league. You're judging him to be a loser on... what, his 4-2 playoff record in his first 2 years alone? A 23-15 regular season record (if memory serves)?

As far as your QB list goes, just because they dont have as much playoff exp does not mean MS is a better QB. It is a team sport. There are 4-5 guys you list that were better picks than MS. (Stafford Ryan Flacco Freeman)

First, you were the one that brought up playoff wins, now you want to change the game... ok...

PAY ATTENTION.

Stafford is hurt constantly. Has he even played a full season worth of games yet?

Have you seen Flacco's stats this year? LOL. 8 TD's, 6 picks and a lower completion percentage despite 1 extra year of experience? Wow, you've got me on this one!

With an extra year under his belt, Ryan looks slightly better in certain areas, worse in others this year. Much higher completion percentage, but he's got LESS TD's, MORE PICKS, and a worse QB rating. Oh, now you're really convincing me...

Freeman? LOL. Oh man, he has more interceptions than touchdowns (7/10). How's that look compared to Sanchez' 12/6? Give me a break!

So, what have we established? Despite many of them having an extra year, all of these QB's are either playing worse than Sanchez or just about even.

And Sanchez probably has as many playoff wins as all of them put together... but I know that doesn't count to you. So just look at the stats.

I suppose your comeback is going to be, "but he's a pouty loser!" LOL

Archived