Rex: "You see the difference a great quarterback makes in this league."

T0mShane

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THis is really what we should do, assuming Manning can even be traded cap wise

He can be. The question is do we have the room with all the record-breaking contracts we paid out to players as though they were top-5 at their respective positions (Holmes, Pace, Scott, Harris, Cromartie, Harris). We might have to clear some space, that is if Indy is willing to take any on. Like Cromartie, if Indy wants him. I would say Harris but no way a 4-3 defense predicated on speed wants to take on $9M/year for a slow ILB who can't cover, no matter how sure of a tackler he generally is. Ditto Pace and Scott but they don't even have youth on their side. So if Manning's fit to play anything like he used to - and that's a big if - it would take a first rounder and something else of value even at his age for the Jets to even be in the conversation. Also takes care of any OC issues rather neatly.

He can be. The question is do we have the room with all the record-breaking contracts we paid out to players as though they were top-5 at their respective positions (Holmes, Pace, Scott, Harris, Cromartie, Harris). We might have to clear some space, that is if Indy is willing to take any on. Like Cromartie, if Indy wants him. I would say Harris but no way a 4-3 defense predicated on speed wants to take on $9M/year for a slow ILB who can't cover, no matter how sure of a tackler he generally is. Ditto Pace and Scott but they don't even have youth on their side. So if Manning's fit to play anything like he used to - and that's a big if - it would take a first rounder and something else of value even at his age for the Jets to even be in the conversation. Also takes care of any OC issues rather neatly.

If Manning is healthy, I give a #1+ and don't think twice, this team would have won 2 sb's with Manning already

I heard what Rex said last night after the game...That was a shot at Sanchez. But, in all honesty, isnt Rex supposed to be a defensive genius? The defense played like crap last night and again Belly and Brady out smarted him. Yeah Yeah I know we beat them last year twice. Who cares, its this year and so far Rex has sh*t the bed against really good competion.

As for trading for manning, yeah I would do it but is he healthy enough to play?

THis is really what we should do, assuming Manning can even be traded cap wise

The Colts are cap immune so they can absorb whatever hit provided he is traded before the new league year officially starts (his option is due on the 4th day and no team will pay him 28 million to hand him to another team). His cap hit for the Jets would be 13 million and he would be un-moveable until 2015. The Jets would have to cut bait with Sanchez which would save about 9 million in cap room, so essentially it would be an extra 4 million in cap space required for Manning. They would probably need to tweak a few deals (Cromartie, Harris and either extend or cut Keller) for it to work, but when you hear the coach making comments like that after a game it speaks volumes about what they think of their guy.

I really wish the Jets knew what they had in Rex in 2009. Had they known they would have gone hard after Favre. For as much of a jerk as he was the Jets would have walked into the SB that year and maybe even last year.

I think it would take a first round pick and two conditional first rounders to get him. One would essentially be an injury free conditional and the second performance based. Its a kings ransom for him.

The Colts are cap immune so they can absorb whatever hit provided he is traded before the new league year officially starts (his option is due on the 4th day and no team will pay him 28 million to hand him to another team). His cap hit for the Jets would be 13 million and he would be un-moveable until 2015. The Jets would have to cut bait with Sanchez which would save about 9 million in cap room, so essentially it would be an extra 4 million in cap space required for Manning. They would probably need to tweak a few deals (Cromartie, Harris and either extend or cut Keller) for it to work, but when you hear the coach making comments like that after a game it speaks volumes about what they think of their guy.

I really wish the Jets knew what they had in Rex in 2009. Had they known they would have gone hard after Favre. For as much of a jerk as he was the Jets would have walked into the SB that year and maybe even last year.

Agree, I don't know how we don't go after him if he's available and healthy. I really don't. QB is what's holding us back from being a top team

I think it would take a first round pick and two conditional first rounders to get him. One would essentially be an injury free conditional and the second performance based. Its a kings ransom for him.

Hence throwing in a legit starting CB who's locked up for a few more years. If they even want him at those dollars.

Agree, I don't know how we don't go after him if he's available and healthy. I really don't. QB is what's holding us back from being a top team

I kind of think the ship has sailed on it. Teams have windows and I think our closed. 2009 was our best chance. The Jets were 9-7 but lost a number of games that they had no business losing. Even if things just balanced out we should have been 11-5. Good QB play and that was a 13-3 team with an elite defense. Mannings first half drive would have had no significance in 2009 with a competent offense. Last year we were 11-5 and lady luck went the other way. Denver and Houston were miracles. Cleveland and Detroit to. That was closer to a 9-7 team to me.

Next year will be years removed from the dominant defense. They have no safeties. Bart Scott, who is a joke for calling out the media the other week, cant play against fast teams because he is too slow. They only have 1 OLB. The guys up front are still part time players that get exposed when teams hold the ball for any period of time. Manning would be a 1 shot deal. I think the Jets are more in a retooling mode and need to move away from alot of the players on the team.

Still I give the Jets a mulligan for the year even if they dont make it. Its disappointing for sure, but they played great the last two years in the playoffs especially last season. Rex is going to come under heavy fire for not being able to win a big game (two blowouts against NE in meaningful regular season games, the two AFC Championship games) which I dont think is fair considering the playoff wins and limitations that they have at QB and in the playcalling.

I hope we're trading for Manning and getting rid of Schitty too.

Because getting Manning and keeping Schitty would be a disaster.

If mannings back to manning, we'd get rid of schitty.. he'd e a hc after a season or two of top 3 offense

If mannings back to manning, we'd get rid of schitty.. he'd e a hc after a season or two of top 3 offense

You're ******* insane if you want Schitty back under any circumstances.

It's further gross negligence by Rex having Schitty EXTENDED (yes, Schitty's contract is up this year).

You're ******* insane if you want Schitty back under any circumstances.

It's further gross negligence by Rex having Schitty EXTENDED (yes, Schitty's contract is up this year).

If we got a good QB, the OC doesn't matter.. That's my point

If we got a good QB, the OC doesn't matter.. That's my point

I get that. But I wouldn't want Schitty anywhere close to even Aaron Rodgers.

How easy you forget that the best yr Schitty had as OC was when Favre told him to change the playbook and freelance anyway.

Seriously, how can anyone support an extension for Schitty. His major success was when the starter DIDN'T do what he called.

I get that. But I wouldn't want Schitty anywhere close to even Aaron Rodgers.

How easy you forget that the best yr Schitty had as OC was when Favre told him to change the playbook and freelance anyway.

Seriously, how can anyone support an extension for Schitty. His major success was when the starter DIDN'T do what he called.

I don't want him extended, my only point was that it didn't matter if Peyton came.. Since that's a dream, Schotty has to go as does Callahan, imo.. the run game / oline has been terrible

Manning would come with demands so I dont think Schotty would even get the opportunity. The Jets would end up hiring Moore to be the play designer to placate Manning

Wait, were getting Peyton Manning now?

if we're lucky...

THe stage is set for the Colts to trade Manning and draft luck... We're one of the teams I think that would think they are only a QB away from a SB and overpay for him

Manning would come with demands so I dont think Schotty would even get the opportunity. The Jets would end up hiring Moore to be the play designer to placate Manning

Yeah, that would work nicely.

Of course this is just a dream, but I think Manning won't play another down in NFL. His neck is shot.

Based on what? HAve there been rumors that he's done done?

Yes. But I'm not saying absolutely he's done, but there have been rumors that his neck is not recoverying as the docs have expected, even after multiple surgeries. Manning has had like 3-4 surgeries this year on his neck.

And the Colts haven't been totally forthcoming with his injury recovery.

Anybody see the stat last night that the Jets have the least amount of pass attempts in the league over 30 yards?

I believe they threw 1 pass over 30 yards last night?

Maybe it wasn't Chad after all?

Even when one of the greatest gunslingers in the history of the league, Brett Favre was here, there were complaints about the excessive check downs ... even Favre.

Now Sanchez.

What do they all have in common again?

Yes. But I'm not saying absolutely he's done, but there have been rumors that his neck is not recoverying as the docs have expected, even after multiple surgeries. Manning has had like 3-4 surgeries this year on his neck.

And the Colts haven't been totally forthcoming with his injury recovery.

What happened to the idea of going off to some 3rd world country and getting stem cell treatment ala TO?

Anybody see the stat last night that the Jets have the least amount of pass attempts in the league over 30 yards?

I believe they threw 1 pass over 30 yards last night?

Maybe it wasn't Chad after all?

Even when one of the greatest gunslingers in the history of the league, Brett Favre was here, there were complaints about the excessive check downs ... even Favre.

Now Sanchez.

What do they all have in common again?

Wait... You think Favre actually listened to Schotty?

Ok.

Archived