Young quarterbacks and lofty expectations.

BroadwayJ667

So how do you explain Drew Brees? Or Jim Plunkett? Aaron Rodgers didn't look too good in training camp back in 2005.

even Alex Smith now, or Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Matt Moore looks decent enough. Mike Vick evolved, Eli Manning took at least five years.

This idea of scrap em and get a new one mentality is too quick. Give me the qb who matures and is capable of winning multiple titles, than having to groom a new one every three years

u grow them. aka back ups. Newton right now looks like a baller so he stays in. If he sucked bench him until he gets to be a baller.

You've gotta play to learn. Next year, Newton is coming back to earth, guarantee it. Look at Aaron Rodgers, he wasn't that good in 2008 after spending 3 years behind Favre, but he got progressively better through playing. Benching is not the answer.

You've gotta play to learn. Next year, Newton is coming back to earth, guarantee it. Look at Aaron Rodgers, he wasn't that good in 2008 after spending 3 years behind Favre, but he got progressively better through playing. Benching is not the answer.

You must have been watching Mr Rogers not Aaron Rodgers.

07-08 he played 2 games with 70% comp and 1 TD 0 int with 106 rating.

08-09 1st full season 28/13 4000+ yds 63% 93 rating.

MS probably will never have a comp % >60 or a rating >90 or pass for 4000yds

So we should scrap Sanchez and start over? Yeah, that'll fix things.

Am I to assume you would rather fire Shotty. MMMMMM Scapegoat for Christmas dinner. YUMMY.

Might help honestly. My problem is time. I think we have been in "win now" mode since Rex got here. Or at least he has us thinking that. I feel we may have lost our window already so I guess in the long run doesn;t matter. With a better QB we win one of the last two years. Probably already too late.

Maybe, maybe not. What is clear is that despite having a worse team around him, he's progressing. His QB rating is up, despite getting knocked halfway to hell in the Ravens game because of a turnstyle OL. He's already set his career touchdown record and we have 5 games to go. His touchdown/INT ratio is on pace to improve from +4 to +10. Again, all this even though the offensive line is substantially weaker this year.

They went 6-10 and he struggled to come through when needed. They lost 7 games by 4 pts or less, 2 in OT.

So how do you explain Drew Brees? Or Jim Plunkett? Aaron Rodgers didn't look too good in training camp back in 2005.

I think there are trends you can see with QBs. Though nobody would have ever projected Brees to be as good as he is, he did play well enough as a rookie to where you would say that he has a shot at being a Pro Bowl QB. Aaron Rodgers would be impossible to predict because he never played when he was young. The small sample size of QBs who sit as long as he did would make this tough to predict and its also possible that had he played as a rookie that he would not have been capable of handling the pressure. Sanchez actually tracks ok to where he has a shot at being a decent player with a long term future, but the problem is he was simply the wrong QB for the Jets due to timing. The Jets ended up with a win now team in 2009 and 2010 and needed a QB to carry them once that period ended. In this case Sanchez probably cost the Jets a Super Bowl appearance and clearly isnt carrying them now that the team around him isnt as good.

I think there are trends you can see with QBs. Though nobody would have ever projected Brees to be as good as he is, he did play well enough as a rookie to where you would say that he has a shot at being a Pro Bowl QB. Aaron Rodgers would be impossible to predict because he never played when he was young. The small sample size of QBs who sit as long as he did would make this tough to predict and its also possible that had he played as a rookie that he would not have been capable of handling the pressure. Sanchez actually tracks ok to where he has a shot at being a decent player with a long term future, but the problem is he was simply the wrong QB for the Jets due to timing. The Jets ended up with a win now team in 2009 and 2010 and needed a QB to carry them once that period ended. In this case Sanchez probably cost the Jets a Super Bowl appearance and clearly isnt carrying them now that the team around him isnt as good.

As usual.. 100% correct.

My point with Brees is that for the first 3 years of his career, he was terrible. They wrote him off as a bust and traded for Rivers and Brees went on to have a good fourth year in San Diego. I can see it now, if we give up on Sanchez he'll go elsewhere and everyone on here will act dumbfounded as to why we gave up on him.

And I get what your saying about the timing of having a rookie costing us, but we really had no other options, Favre wasn't coming back here, McDaniels wouldn't trade Cutler to the AFC East because of his ties to New England, and there were no other free agents or trade options. And to expect a rookie or even a second year QB to play lights out, throw the team on his back, and win a Super Bowl is a bit much.

u have no proof of newton, and Aaron rodgers?!?!?!?! he has been great ever since he became starter. If you cant win now you should not be playing now. Of course playing gets you better but you should be improving as people who already have the play.

u have no proof of newton, and Aaron rodgers?!?!?!?! he has been great ever since he became starter. If you cant win now you should not be playing now. Of course playing gets you better but you should be improving as people who already have the play.

What is your definition of "win now"?

Aaron Rodgers struggled in 2008, go back and watch some games if you don't believe me. He missed on a lot of passes that he should've made. As for Newton you'll have to wait and see, just like with Bradford who everyone was already putting in the Hall of Fame at the end of last year. And who would you have started in 2009 and 2010? Who could we have gotten that would've done any better?

What is your definition of "win now"?

if you hurt your team to a point were it is losing games it should win your not winning now. thats confusing ummm if you hurt your team to a point now they are not what they should be.

obviously Cam newton makes his team better. Tim Tebow makes his team better. Aaron rodgers makes his team better.

Alex smith does enough to not hurt his team

Sanchez hurts it .... (sometimes)

if you hurt your team to a point were it is losing games it should win your not winning now. thats confusing ummm if you hurt your team to a point now they are not what they should be.

obviously Cam newton makes his team better. Tim Tebow makes his team better. Aaron rodgers makes his team better.

Alex smith does enough to not hurt his team

Sanchez hurts it .... (sometimes)

So the last two years who would you have gotten to be our QB? Who would have been a better option?

even Alex Smith now, or Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Matt Moore looks decent enough. Mike Vick evolved, Eli Manning took at least five years.

This idea of scrap em and get a new one mentality is too quick. Give me the qb who matures and is capable of winning multiple titles, than having to groom a new one every three years

never mentioned in these posts is that for every ryan fitzpatrick who got better, there's 100 joey harrington's who never did

I think there are trends you can see with QBs. Though nobody would have ever projected Brees to be as good as he is, he did play well enough as a rookie to where you would say that he has a shot at being a Pro Bowl QB.

I was thinking the same thing. That single game 1 TD performance in his rookie year was impressive!

Rolling eyes.

never mentioned in these posts is that for every ryan fitzpatrick who got better, there's 100 joey harrington's who never did

So lets give up on him then. And we can spend another 40 years looking for a QB. We've had dumb asses like you running this team for a long time, and thats why we haven't won anything. Go big and strike out.

So lets give up on him then. And we can spend another 40 years looking for a QB. We've had dumb asses like you running this team for a long time, and thats why we haven't won anything.

exactly.. if only we had stuck with browning nagle and kellen clemens, we'd shirley have several sb's by now

exactly.. if only we had stuck with browning nagle and kellen clemens, we'd shirley have several sb's by now

They had their chances, and they never showed anything close to what we've seen from Sanchez. Sanchez has shown he can win, he did that time after time last year. Especially in the two minute offense when you're never screws up, always perfect, genius of an offensive coordinator isn't calling plays.

They had their chances, and they never showed anything close to what we've seen from Sanchez. Sanchez has shown he can win, he did that time after time last year. Especially in the two minute offense when you're never screws up, always perfect, genius of an offensive coordinator isn't calling plays.

just like tebow, right?

Lets ignore the fact that those 4th quarter comebacks wouldn't be necessarily if he didn't play like something resembling a pile of burro dung for three quarters..

Again, I'm not anti-sanchez.. i like him.. i just recognize he's not a good qb, and am not going to get deluded by team accomplishments, that he was largely along for the ride for

just like tebow, right?

Lets ignore the fact that those 4th quarter comebacks wouldn't be necessarily if he didn't play like something resembling a pile of burro dung for three quarters..

Again, I'm not anti-sanchez.. i like him.. i just recognize he's not a good qb, and am not going to get deluded by team accomplishments, that he was largely along for the ride for

I think you are anti-Sanchez. You seem to carry a real vendetta against the guy. Instead of giving him a chance in a new system, you want to cut him lose and continue on the same path to no where with our half retarded, incompetent, OC and a broken Peyton Manning. And then when Sanchez becomes successful elsewhere you'll be on here, bitching and moaning about what a mistake it was to cut him.

I think you are anti-Sanchez. You seem to carry a real vendetta against the guy. Instead of giving him a chance in a new system, you want to cut him lose and continue on the same path to no where with our half retarded, incompetent, OC and a broken Peyton Manning. And then when Sanchez becomes successful elsewhere you'll be on here, bitching and moaning about what a mistake it was to cut him.

If manning is really available you go get him period. And yes, i do think Sanchez is more responsible for our poor offense then schotty, but i also understand the guy is very inexperienced and wasn't likely to set the league on fire by now anyway

Archived