A bright spot - Patrick Turner...

Steveg

By Kevin Fishbain

WR Patrick Turner didn't live up to the billing of being a third-round pick during his time with the Dolphins, but he is starting to make contributions for the Jets. Turner has moved up to the No. 3 receiver role the past two weeks with rookie Jeremy Kerley out.

In each of those two games, Turner has made a clutch catch late in the game. With the Jets trailing the Broncos in the final minute and facing a 4th-and-19, it was Turner who hauled in a 25-yard grab to keep the Jets alive. On the Jets' game-winning drive vs. the Bills, Turner made a 12-yard catch on 3rd-and-8.

One daily team observer referred to the 6-5, 220-pound Turner as a "poor man's (Plaxico Burress)." Turner has impressed the coaches with his blocking. "I thought (Turner) did a tremendous job," Rex Ryan said. When discussing Turner's blocking on a Shonn Greene run, Ryan said, "That blocking performance by him was probably the best we've had all year by a wideout, so I'm really encouraged by Patrick."

By Kevin Fishbain

WR Patrick Turner didn't live up to the billing of being a third-round pick during his time with the Dolphins, but he is starting to make contributions for the Jets. Turner has moved up to the No. 3 receiver role the past two weeks with rookie Jeremy Kerley out.

In each of those two games, Turner has made a clutch catch late in the game. With the Jets trailing the Broncos in the final minute and facing a 4th-and-19, it was Turner who hauled in a 25-yard grab to keep the Jets alive. On the Jets' game-winning drive vs. the Bills, Turner made a 12-yard catch on 3rd-and-8.

One daily team observer referred to the 6-5, 220-pound Turner as a "poor man's (Plaxico Burress)." Turner has impressed the coaches with his blocking. "I thought (Turner) did a tremendous job," Rex Ryan said. When discussing Turner's blocking on a Shonn Greene run, Ryan said, "That blocking performance by him was probably the best we've had all year by a wideout, so I'm really encouraged by Patrick."

Umm........no.

That catch he made was crucial. The ball sailed on the model and would have surely been an INT if he hadnt snagged it out of thin air.

I like the kid. Surprised the model doesnt look to him more since they played together at USC. You'd think they have a rapport.

That catch he made was crucial. The ball sailed on the model and would have surely been an INT if he hadnt snagged it out of thin air.

I like the kid. Surprised the model doesnt look to him more since they played together at USC. You'd think they have a rapport.

I was wondering that myself

Seen Turner playing preseason in Miami. Looked like he had never been on a football field before.

He has looked good in the last couple games. I'm wondering if they are toying with the idea of bulking him up a bit and converting him to TE

I don't see why they'd do that. They have enough undersized TEs already. Keller, Cumberland and Baker. They need a bruiser.

In each of those two games, Turner has made a clutch catch late in the game.

Turner hasn't looked bad, but the guy has 5 catches on the season and they traded Mason ages ago. I wouldn't exactly call him a bright spot. He hasn't done anything to create a dozen "CUT HIM NOW!" threads, but he'll be a bubble guy again next year. The thing that might keep him around is that he has been making some special teams plays.

I like him, he just needs playing time to understand the game better, Kerley's injury hurt the team no doubt, but we can see he will be good. Turner getting play time will also help.

If the Jets were to let Plax walk after the season, Turner would take some time, but could probably fill his role. Though the Jets will have to find a speed threat, because their downfeild passes this season are non-existent.

Archived