With the 16th Pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. The New York Jets Select..

GreenSince93

Kiper's AFC East mock draft

nyj.gifNew York Jets (8-8)

Pick: No. 16

Kiper’s selection:Mark Barron, S, Alabama

Walker's analysis: Barron is another impact player from Alabama’s great defense. The Jets have several needs, and a big one is at safety. New York may need two starting safeties. Jim Leonhard is a free agent coming off a season-ending knee injury, and Eric Smith had a brutal season. Top reserve Brodney Pool also is a free agent. Opponents took advantage of the Jets by avoiding their corners and exposing their safeties this season. Barron could

Too many talking heads with Barron to the Jets has the makings of the Ed Reed pick all over again.....

Why? Burfict or Kuechley could fall to us. And Bart Scott is coming to an end thankfully. Its a no brainer to team Harris with another tackling machine.

Dont see them taking an ILB that high with the contract they gave Harris this offseason. And at this point, I think someone will reach and take him before 16.

JiF you follow the SEC, I'm also high on the Jets taking WR Alshon Jeffery from S.Carolina. Thoughts?

I'm on the fence. He produced decently with some shaky QB play. But I've heard he's lazy. Doesnt take of his body. There's even some talk going around that he's fat. Check this picture out of him. Far left. Dudes got a gut.

si.jpg

Wrong. With the 16th pick the jets will Select either Mark Barron, S, Bama or Luke Kuechley ILB, BC.

If the Jets take an ILB at #16, with some $17-18M tied up at the position in 2012 and gaping holes at RT/S/OLB, Tannenbaum should be fired on the spot. Well, beaten till his face is good and bloodied up and then fired.

Texans, Ravens, Niners, Giants, Packers, Lions, Falcons, Steelers and Bengals have all build their teams with the front seven. A few people will say what about NO and NE? Well the Saints never had the outside rush beyond Will Smith and as of the last 3 years the Pats haven't either that is why the Pats have been getting beat up in the playoffs the last few years. Each of the other teams either have elite pass rushers or a very solid front seven. Before Big Jenks got hurt during our playoff runs we had him, David Harris, Calvin Pace, Shaun Ellis, and Bart Scott and we were killing people on defense. With that said I think we should take 1st round take Vontaz Burfict, 2nd Vinne Curry, Nick Foles or Weeden from OKST 3rd OL either from Stanford or BYU they have quite a few 4th TY Hilton (WR) we need veteran OL thru free agency. Sign Mario Willams Texans can't afford to tag him nor resign him. This is why Baltimore will beat the Pats and the Giants with beat the niners. These teams have elite pass rushers and front seven and great run game

If the Jets take an ILB at #16, with some $17-18M tied up at the position in 2012 and gaping holes at RT/S/OLB, Tannenbaum should be fired on the spot. Well, beaten till his face is good and bloodied up and then fired.

Considering its something we've said all year, It wouldn't surprise me in the least for Tanny to make this move Sperm.

Considering its something we've said all year, It wouldn't surprise me in the least for Tanny to make this move Sperm.

First of all Bart Scott will most likely be cut

Its thinking like this that has made the Jets an awful drafting team over the years. Draft the best player available. Burfict (sp) is going to be a pro bowler. I also think he could play OLB much like Scott used to do in Baltimore with Rex.

First of all Bart Scott will most likely be cut

Its thinking like this that has made the Jets an awful drafting team over the years. Draft the best player available. Burfict (sp) is going to be a pro bowler. I also think he could play OLB much like Scott used to do in Baltimore with Rex.

Jonathan Vilma is a pro bowl ILB. He wouldn't help us all that much right now, still in his prime. The drafting of players who didn't turn out to be so good is what's made the Jets an awful drafting team.

- There was nothing wrong with drafting a CB at the bottom of round 1. Having that player be Wilson has hurt us (as it necessitated the shopping for Asodouchebag and then the re-signing of Cromartie for megabucks).

- There was nothing wrong with trading up into the top 5 to draft a "franchise QB." Having that player be Mark Emochez hurt us.

- There was nothing wrong with drafting an OG/OT at the bottom of round 2. That the player was Ducasse is what hurt us.

- There was nothing wrong with moving up a bit to the bottom of round 1 to grab a TE. Having that player become Keller (while Jordy Nelson was drafted in our original slot) has hurt us.

In a 3 year span from 2006-2009, we spent a #1, two #2's, a #3, a #5, a #6, two #7's, and two defensive starters for 5 QB's - Sanchez, Clemens, Favre, Ainge, and O'Connell. And there isn't a halfway-decent team in the NFL envious of our QB situation.

Also, while there's nothing wrong with trading up, it needs to be balanced out with trading down which is a rarity for us. Further, when you trade multiple draft picks for veteran players in an offseason you don't then also make 2-for-1 and 3-for-1 trade-up's in that same year's draft. What you're left with is draftees who must become starters - really good ones - to prove worthy. There's nothing wrong with getting a 1-dimensional power back in round 3. But not when you also burned a 4th and a 7th on him, a day after you just traded your 2nd round pick (and starting DE) away to move up in round 1.

What you are describing as unwise is bypassing an obvious pick to reach for a player at a position of need (or perceived need). No one is suggesting that. You end up drafting a kicker in round 2 with that mentality.

If he becomes a very good player, why would you say this?

It doesnt matter what position the Jets take in the 1st rd (K, P aside). As long as he becomes an impact player.

If he becomes a very good player, why would you say this?

It doesnt matter what position the Jets take in the 1st rd (K, P aside). As long as he becomes an impact player.

Not all pro bowlers - let alone merely "very good" players - are impact players. I could see it more if we were a straight 4-3 team and there's only 1 MLB. But we already have a high-priced ILB (in fact his $12-13M cap hits over the next 2 years probably makes him the highest-priced ILB in the NFL). And other than a few plays a year, which may not even come at oh-so-important times, that isn't going to help us get to the QB even a split-second faster.

With a pair of them in the middle it's a bit much to invest so heavily at the expense of far more "impact" positions like a pass rusher or a safety when we have none locked up for the next 3 years. Not to mention the effective impact of a RT who buys the QB an extra full second on every drop-back, and who further removes the frequency with which a player (who should otherwise be a pass-catcher) is kept in to block to help out his sorry a$$. Getting tired of seeing 3-man rushes get pressure, which hurts double when our QB stays in a collapsing pocket like he doesn't have a care in the world.

Those will all help far more than a second ILB. When you're so heavily invested in a position, investing so much more at the position doesn't just bolster the position. It also takes from elsewhere.

Here's an example. If our first round CB was half as good as we'd hoped as a rookie, we wouldn't have re-signed Cromartie (or chased so hard after Nnamdi) for such big bucks. That's an average of $8M/year that could have upgraded us in multiple areas like signing a handful of $1.5-2M depth players instead of league-minimum-pay depth players. But as it stands we have (average) $20M/year, or 1/6 of the entire team's salary cap, tied up with two CB's.

Harris is supposed to be our "impact" ILB.

I like David Harris, but I agree. That number is just foolish. Sure he makes some plays. But he is not fast, he has had two knee injuries, I believe (counting college), and people are finally going to find out how valuable Bart Scott was to his getting that golden parachute.

You think he goes that high? That kid is a monster. We'd have to move him OLB though, he played DE at South Carolina, no?

Ingram, was a 4/3 DE, but he has a good report on moving to OLB in a 3/4, I would love Marcillus, buy Ingram is my 2nd choice. I can also see the Jets trading into the late 1st round to have a 2nd 1st round pick this year, Woody, Tanny, and Rex will want to make a splash and no FA, outside of Manning will accomplish that, so I think this could be there move.

Not all pro bowlers - let alone merely "very good" players - are impact players. I could see it more if we were a straight 4-3 team and there's only 1 MLB. But we already have a high-priced ILB (in fact his $12-13M cap hits over the next 2 years probably makes him the highest-priced ILB in the NFL). And other than a few plays a year, which may not even come at oh-so-important times, that isn't going to help us get to the QB even a split-second faster.

With a pair of them in the middle it's a bit much to invest so heavily at the expense of far more "impact" positions like a pass rusher or a safety when we have none locked up for the next 3 years. Not to mention the effective impact of a RT who buys the QB an extra full second on every drop-back, and who further removes the frequency with which a player (who should otherwise be a pass-catcher) is kept in to block to help out his sorry a$$. Getting tired of seeing 3-man rushes get pressure, which hurts double when our QB stays in a collapsing pocket like he doesn't have a care in the world.

Those will all help far more than a second ILB. When you're so heavily invested in a position, investing so much more at the position doesn't just bolster the position. It also takes from elsewhere.

Here's an example. If our first round CB was half as good as we'd hoped as a rookie, we wouldn't have re-signed Cromartie (or chased so hard after Nnamdi) for such big bucks. That's an average of $8M/year that could have upgraded us in multiple areas like signing a handful of $1.5-2M depth players instead of league-minimum-pay depth players. But as it stands we have (average) $20M/year, or 1/6 of the entire team's salary cap, tied up with two CB's.

Harris is supposed to be our "impact" ILB.

I understand your point. ILB at 16 is not the ideal pick for us this season. However, we could do far worse.

Passing judgment on a selection due to their position (K, P aside) is foolish. Let the pick breathe and see how the player develops.

Archived