Rex Ryan says Schottenheimer's offense was too complex

Jetfan13

Hess we have no elite skill players, not one single player on our offense can be considered elite..... yet we want our QB to perform like the other QB's mentioned as elite otheriwse "he sucks" The Jets are the only team who do not seriously make an attempt to surround their QB with top notch young talent at the skill positions and we expect a QB who is just starting out to deal with 2 -3 new aditions each year and perform. Remember these guys have to learn the offense as well so bringing 2 or 3 guys in each year is not only hurting the team its hurting the development of our Young QB. Look at the players Stafford has hadto develop with is there any comparison to the Jets ?? Is it even close ? Rodgers ? is it close ? Brees Is it close ? Brady, Romo, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan all those teams have had talent aroud their QB 's since they started and only Eli came into the league with less and then what did the Giants do ??

If you look at the top 5 or 6 QB's in this league and compare the way they have been handled compared to how the Jets handle Sanchez I think its beyond laughable its just plain ignorant .

When your QB turns the ball over on his own almost twice a game, whether you have elite players around him or not is irrelevant. It's bad enough he doesn't seem to lead receivers and his accurary is awful, and that his coaches do not trust him. . You are not going to succeed overcoming that kind of catastrophic failure every game.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True enough. I was only being half serious. Bradshaw was reputed to be a dumb QB. But with his talent, so what? Plus, a guy can totally understand an offense in the room, and be unable to execute when defenses throw stuff at him in a game. Human nature.

yep Bradshaw did have that knock but some also said it was an act, that he still plays up to this day. Sometimes I see him act like a goofy idiot then other times the exact opposite.

I think this team needs to build an offense with some young talent that Sanchez can grow with. Stop ignoring the 1st and second round talent on offense and sign some players that can learn our offense from day 1 then once they have a few years together in the same system I think you will begin to see results until we do that all you will see is bandaids and confusion.

An already established offense can add a bandaid or work in a young player and be just fine an offense trying to find its identity each and every year, with castoffs, is just plain sad. Especially when dealing with a young franchise QB.

When your QB turns the ball over on his own almost twice a game, whether you have elite players around him or not is irrelevant. It's bad enough he doesn't seem to lead receivers and his accurary is awful, and that his coaches do not trust him. . You are not going to succeed overcoming that kind of catastrophic failure every game.

When you have a QB that tries to do too much it usually adds up to turnovers and I think thats exactly why Sanchez had more fumbles this year most of which were blindside Hits.

Hess we have no elite skill players, not one single player on our offense can be considered elite..... yet we want our QB to perform like the other QB's mentioned as elite otheriwse "he sucks" The Jets are the only team who do not seriously make an attempt to surround their QB with top notch young talent at the skill positions and we expect a QB who is just starting out to deal with 2 -3 new aditions each year and perform. Remember these guys have to learn the offense as well so bringing 2 or 3 guys in each year is not only hurting the team its hurting the development of our Young QB. Look at the players Stafford has hadto develop with is there any comparison to the Jets ?? Is it even close ? Rodgers ? is it close ? Brees Is it close ? Brady, Romo, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan all those teams have had talent aroud their QB 's since they started and only Eli came into the league with less and then what did the Giants do ??

If you look at the top 5 or 6 QB's in this league and compare the way they have been handled compared to how the Jets handle Sanchez I think its beyond laughable its just plain ignorant .

*Keller: 1st round 27

*Holmes: 1st round pick/Super Bowl MVP 27

*Burress: 1st round pick 34

*Edwards: 1st round pick 27

*Tomlinson: 1st round/Future Hall of Famer 32

*Greene: 3rd round 26

*McKnight 4th round 23

*Finely: 3rd round 24

*Jennings: 1st round 28

*Driver: 7th round 36

*Nelson: 2nd round 26

*Jones: 3rd round 27

*Grant: undrafted 29

*Starks: 6th round 25

*Keller: 1st round

*Holmes: 1st round pick/Super Bowl MVP

*Burress: 1st round pick

*Edwards: 1st round pick

*Tomlinson: 1st round/Future Hall of Famer

*Greene: 3rd round

*Finely: 3rd round

*Jennings: 1st round

*Driver: 7th round

*Nelson: 2nd round

*Jones: 3rd round

*Grant: undrafted

*Starks: 6th round

Hess we did not draft edwards holmes burres or tomlinson these players were ALL castoffs or Way past their prime so how can you seriously use them as examples ?? . What your showing me here is the Jets, as always, do a horribly piss poor job in the draft compared to other teams. Maybe next year we can sign Moss Owens and Jerry rice then you can say we had 3 first rounders and the GOAT at the position Maybe we can get Emmitt or Barry Sanders to come out of retirement as well

Did you really edit your post to add Joe McKnight ? LOL

Hess we did not draft edwards holmes burres or tomlinson these players were ALL castoffs or Way past their prime so how can you seriously use them as examples ?? . What your showing me here is the Jets, as always, do a horribly piss poor job in the draft compared to other teams. Maybe next year we can sign Moss Owens and Jerry rice then you can say we had 3 first rounders and the GOAT at the position Maybe we can get Emmitt or Barry Sanders to come out of retirement as well

Did you really edit your post to add Joe McKnight ? LOL

Same college team, same year-

Vlad Ducasse-2nd round, NY Jets

Victor Cruz-undrafted FA, NY Giants

Keep digging...

Hess we did not draft edwards holmes burres or tomlinson these players were ALL castoffs or Way past their prime so how can you seriously use them as examples ?? . What your showing me here is the Jets, as always, do a horribly piss poor job in the draft compared to other teams.

LOL now you're changing your argument, now they need to be "drafted" by the jets. Ok. Btw Holmes and Edwards are/were not past their prime. You originally stated the Jets don't even bother trying to get young weapons. I don't see a big difference below as this argument should have nothing to do about who has become the better player. The argument is about the attempt in obtaining premium talent at the skilled position. This also excludes last year with Edwards still in the mix.

Let's look at the RBs.

Greene is 26/3rd round

McKnight is 23/ 4th round

Grant is 29/undrafted

Starks is 25/6th round

Let's look at the TE

Keller is 27/1st round

Finely is 24/3rd round

The WR's

Holmes is 27/he's still a 1st round talent

Kerley is 23/5th round

Jennings is 28/1st round

Nelson is 26/2nd round

Driver and Plex consider a wash

LOL now you're changing your argument, now they need to be "drafted" by the jets. Ok. Btw Holmes and Edwards are/were not past their prime. You originally stated the Jets don't even bother trying to get young weapons. I don't see a big difference below as this argument should have nothing to do about who has become the better player. The argument is about the attempt in obtaining premium talent at the skilled position. This also excludes last year with Edwards still in the mix.

Let's look at the RBs.

Greene is 26/3rd round

McKnight is 23/ 4th round

Grant is 29/undrafted

Starks is 25/6th round

Let's look at the TE

Keller is 27/1st round

Finely is 24/3rd round

The WR's

Holmes is 27/1st round value only needed a 5th to get him

Kerley is 23/5th round

Jennings is 28/1st round

Nelson is 26/2nd round

Driver and Plex consider a wash

Hess read my post again it plainly states SOME past their prime. Im not changing an agruement the Jets have done a crappy job in both the draft and free agency with offensive skill positions . If you feel differently then we simply disagree.

1. This franchise does a lousy job scouting talent.

2. Surround a sucky QB with talent rarely makes him any better.

how do you know the Qb is sucky until you get him some CONSISTENT talent to work with ?? Consistent meaning the same crew for a few years to work with and grow in the offense.

if you people are so dead set on hating Sanchez there really is no reason to continue the arguement.

Now that Eli has marched into the ranks of the elite according to some, take a good look at his first 3 horrible years one of which he had a 48 percent completion rating and tell me what happened when the Giants Started drafting WR's and surrounded him with talent that makes the Jets skill players look like High school kids at just about every position

1. This franchise does a lousy job scouting talent.

2. Surround a sucky QB with talent rarely makes him any better.

1. Hmm, like every other team I think they've been hit or miss. In perspective to the other 32 NFL I think they've done a decent job. Not sure how far back you want to go but 4th round to UDFA...DeVito, Pito, Dixon, Slauson, Westerman, McKnight, Conner, Kerley, Lowery isn't too bad.

Go back a little farther, Cotchery, Rhodes, Dreessen, Brad Smith, Leon Washington, Jonathan Goodwin, Drew Coleman, Derrick Ward is a pretty decent haul as well.

2. It's tough to say. I've been down on Sanchez as much as anyone, I'm not sure it's fair to label him in the "suck" category yet.

Hess read my post again it plainly states SOME past their prime. Im not changing an agruement the Jets have done a crappy job in both the draft and free agency with offensive skill positions . If you feel differently then we simply disagree.

No, you said they haven't even attempted to address it. Which they have...constantly.

Here's your quote again, not sure what I'm missing.

"The Jets are the only team who do not seriously make an attempt to surround their QB with top notch young talent at the skill positions"-Smashmouth

Before the educated masses here come to the conclusion that Sanchez is the dumbest qb in the league, let's compare his wonderlic test scores to some other starting qbs. MS scored 28 out of 50, or the same as Peyton Manning nad Drew Brees, a point higher than Josh Freeman and Joe Flacco, 3 points higher than Rothlisberger, 3 points higher than Favre and Tebow and yes, Pennington. Jim Kelly, Dan Marino and Terry Bradshaw each scored 15. BTW McElroy sc.ored a 43

Why? quite simple

We played an EZ schedule, pats did not beat 1 team over 500, reason why pats are 13-3

Sanchez blows most agree

OL underachieves

Def scares no one. No pressure from DL. LB's are slow safeties suk

Soprano isnt the answer

Romo gifted us Pokes game and Stevie J did same in 2nd Jills game.

EyeTest tells me this is closer to a 6-10 team.

I have zero faith in Tanny evaluating any Talent, an accountant who can play cap games

I see 4 years of hell coming if sanchez is starting QB

I'm with you on the current evaluation of the team...

But, if you believe Sanchez is as bad as you say you do, I think logic follows that an upgrade at QB makes a lot of things better:

OL underachieves: Teams attack our OL because there is no fear that Sanchez will make the hot read and make them pay. Same deal for the running game. If you don't fear the QB, you can attack the LOS every play without much fear of being burned.

Def scares no one. No pressure from DL. LB's are slow safeties suk: I don't agree that the D scares no one. It's a good unit. But, it has gotten slow and struggled against teams with speed. The safeties obviously suck. But, they get no help in field position or time off the field from their offense. We need a few more athletes, but this is far from a defense that can't win a championship if the other side of the ball contributed anything.

No, you said they haven't even attempted to address it. Which they have...constantly.

Here's your quote again, not sure what I'm missing.

"The Jets are the only team who do not seriously make an attempt to surround their QB with top notch young talent at the skill positions"

Hess how the hell does Burress Tomlinson and Mason equate to young talent. When i say young talent I mean through the draft and your stellar examples are Keller and Joe McKnight ? Santonio may still be relatively young but hes an Idiot and an entirely different arguement yet it still effects the QB

Before the educated masses here come to the conclusion that Sanchez is the dumbest qb in the league, let's compare his wonderlic test scores to some other starting qbs. MS scored 28 out of 50, or the same as Peyton Manning nad Drew Brees, a point higher than Josh Freeman and Joe Flacco, 3 points higher than Rothlisberger, 3 points higher than Favre and Tebow and yes, Pennington. Jim Kelly, Dan Marino and Terry Bradshaw each scored 15. BTW McElroy sc.ored a 43

if I were still a betting man I would say this offense suffered because of known dumb asses like Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress not knowing the offense beforeI pointed at Sanchez .

BTW is there a sample of this test on the internet ? Ill have to google :)

ahh so your saying talent has something to do with it ?? Yet you blame Sanchez for starting the season with a Moron in Santonio , a 34 year old Plax fresh out of jail 38 year old Derrick Mason who grabbed a pay check a 32 year old LT who was hurt a lot in the middle of the season and no other real RB able to catch a pass consistently ?? This is all ok but Brees didnt have the talent in SD early on ?? Really ?

No one is denying that talent surrounding the QB isn't important. Rather, they're pointing out how far off base your assessment of the talent around our current QB as well as your assessment of our current QB.

As Sperm points out, Drew Brees had McCardell and Parker as his top WRs in SD. That's pretty weak. Yet, in 2005 he had a year significantly better than anything Sanchez has come close to. He's done better with more talent, but he played great with less than Sanchez had.

Hess how the hell does Burress Tomlinson and Mason equate to young talent. When i say young talent I mean through the draft and your stellar examples are Keller and Joe McKnight ? Santonio may still be relatively young but hes an Idiot and an entirely different arguement yet it still effects the QB

Ok then by your definition...

young talent: players and only players obtained via the draft by perspective team

there is at least a little more validity to your argument.

However you somehow forgot to add Shonn Greene/3rd round, to your list. Your argument also holds less water in that you're narrowing the elements of QB development by not including the Offensive Line and in particular the 1st round Left Tackle and Center into the scenario.

I get it. The Jets are run by humans and haven't hit gold on every pick. But your argument that they haven't at least tried to surround Sanchez with talent is weak.

SANCHEZ IS BETTER THAN MARINO.

So you started to dislike him before we went on the road and beat Peyton and Brady in their homes and you went right on disliking him throughout that playoff run,huh? Even if that's true, it's damning.

Sanchez doesn't play Manning or Brady. He plays their defenses.

In 2010, The Colts defense allowed 25 points per game. Their offense scored 27 points per game. The final score of that game was 17-16, Jets. So, the Jets scored 1 TD less than the average. The Jets defense held the Colts offense to 11 points below their average. Tell me again how Sanchez won that game?

The game against the Pats at least is a little better. Their offense scored 32 per game, and our defense held them 11 points below their average again. Their defense allowed 20 points per game, we scored 8 above that average. Sanchez had a good game. And if I were the type of person, like the Sanchez fans, who hung their hat on one performance, I might think differently. Unfortunately, games like this, are the statistical anomalies.

No one is denying that talent surrounding the QB isn't important. Rather, they're pointing out how far off base your assessment of the talent around our current QB as well as your assessment of our current QB.

As Sperm points out, Drew Brees had McCardell and Parker as his top WRs in SD. That's pretty weak. Yet, in 2005 he had a year significantly better than anything Sanchez has come close to. He's done better with more talent, but he played great with less than Sanchez had.

So Antonio Gates and Ladanian Tomlinson both first ballot HOF players were not better than what the Jets have ? And having a second string RB like Micheal Turner and an all purpose back like Darren Sproles . Did you just leave those guys out once again to make your arguement look good or did they suck as well ? You know who was drafted that year at 6-5 230 ? Vincent Jackson so yeah the SD chargers didnt surround their QB with talent

But, if you believe Sanchez is as bad as you say you do, I think logic follows that an upgrade at QB makes a lot of things better:

OL underachieves: Teams attack our OL because there is no fear that Sanchez will make the hot read and make them pay. Same deal for the running game. If you don't fear the QB, you can attack the LOS every play without much fear of being burned.

Def scares no one. No pressure from DL. LB's are slow safeties suk: I don't agree that the D scares no one. It's a good unit. But, it has gotten slow and struggled against teams with speed. The safeties obviously suck. But, they get no help in field position or time off the field from their offense. We need a few more athletes, but this is far from a defense that can't win a championship if the other side of the ball contributed anything.

I go after Luck Myself, whatever it takes

Yep, also think it really hurts having a running back who can't catch out of the back field. For me, this is the main reason Shonn Greene can't be a #1 in the NFL. i think he takes unfair criticism for his running style but not having that dynamic as part of you offensive arsenal just gives the opposing defense another reason to pin their ears back and attack the QB.

And whoever is still saying Ground & Pound and Defense can't win championships anymore didn't watch the games last week.

Jets biggest problem is they want to pay a QB 15M in cap to hand the ball off.

Go watch games again, If Alex Smith doesnt air it out with 3 great throws SF loses game.

If Houston had a legit QB texans win

So Antonio Gates and Ladanian Tomlinson both first ballot HOF players were not better than what the Jets have ? And having a second string RB like Micheal Turner and an all purpose back like Darren Sproles . Did you just leave those guys out once again to make your arguement look good or did they suck as well ? You know who was drafted that year at 6-5 230 ? Vincent Jackson so yeah the SD chargers didnt surround their QB with talent

Ok then by your definition...

young talent: players and only players obtained via the draft by perspective team

there is at least a little more validity to your argument.

However you somehow forgot to add Shonn Greene/3rd round, to your list. Your argument also holds less water in that you're narrowing the elements of QB development by not including the Offensive Line and in particular the 1st round Left Tackle and Center into the scenario.

I get it. The Jets are run by humans and haven't hit gold on every pick. But your argument that they haven't at least tried to surround Sanchez with talent is weak.

hess your taking this to an extreme .... I think they tried and failed miserably.

When your offensvie line is showing you in preseason that there are obvious questions and your top back up gets hurt and Dicasse is the other option and Nothing was addressed and you sign a 34 year old and 38 year old WR and are still relying on a 32 year old LT who has had problems breaking down at the end of seasons all through out his career I call that STUPID especially when your team has a core thats capable of winning a SB is that straight forward enough for you ? If your arguement is taking some comments too literally then you need to stop. I know Tanny and Rex are Trying they just have no freakin clue how to build an offense or handle a young QB .

No. I'm not "just leaving those guys out". But, they were all on the team when Brees was considered a bust. So, what happened there?

Good point with Sproles though. The 50 yards he gained on the ground that year, and the 10 yards receiving where really what took Brees to the next level.

Face it, not a single thing you have to say is predicated on anything that has actually happened. It's all "what-ifs".

I think Sproles was drafted the year Brees left. Michael Turner was a 5th round pick. Gates was undrafted. Where are you going with this? Are you mad the Jets don't have a Hall of Fame running back and a pro bowl receiver and that's why Sanchez sucks. Well yeah sure, that would be freaking awesome. Because they tried like hell to put talent around him. It just hasn't worked yet. Sometimes that has to do with the QB.

No. I'm not "just leaving those guys out". But, they were all on the team when Brees was considered good. So, what happened there?

Good point with Sproles though. The 50 yards he gained on the ground that year, and the 10 yards receiving where really what took Brees to the next level.

Face it, not a single thing you have to say is predicated on anything that has actually happened. It's all "what-ifs".

Ya know what's funny, Cameron is OC in Balt and Flacco is being crapped on, Brees OC was Cameron as well, yet Schott is taking blame for Brees lol

You are the biggest moron on the internet. What's worse, you call yourself some sort of Jets Fan "Celebrity" that has 1 way to fix the Jets team. Draft Alabama players....hahahahahahaha What a joke

Gilligan lives i am not advocating bama players to be drafted by jets, but am hoping all the Clemson studs come to Floram. U know the ones who gave up 70 points to west Va

I don't think it's possible.

Maybe 3 1st rounders? I think that'd be a mistake, and I agree with you on both Luck and Sanchez.

I think Flynn is headed to Mia, prob reason an OC who didnt call plays gets a HC gig. With Sanchez on team and starting team has no chance. Luck Brings hope, I offer 3 #1's and revis. Revis will be gone in 2 years anyway. U can win without a shutdown CB, cant win with a stiff at QB. Team can build around Luck with FA's his contract will be what $25M instead of $55m the turd is getting

He also had a HOF tight end in his prime and one of the best running backs in NFL history in his prime.

Go watch games again, If Alex Smith doesnt air it out with 3 great throws SF loses game.

If Houston had a legit QB texans win

Once was enough. Yeah, you still need a legitimate NFL QB to win. Doesn't mean the team needs to be built around him.

I'll contend you don't need an elite QB to win championships. That was all my point was.

I'm surprised somebody hasn't just run down the list of NFL QB's who have won last 10 years. I get it. But I still think you can win with an old school ground and pound/defense first philosophy.

What your point is, I have no idea? That Alex Smith is elite b/c he made some stellar throws? Again, the point was, Alex Smith is by no means elite....but he was good enough. I still believe Sanchez will be better than Alex Smith.

Ya know what's funny, Cameron is OC in Balt and Flacco is being crapped on, Brees OC was Cameron as well, yet Schott is taking blame for Brees lol

To be honest with you, none of that really matters to me. Coaches are scapegoats.

A better OC could hide Sanchez's deficiencies more easily. But, good DC's will find a way to design defenses to attack them still.

Blaming the coach is for people who don't want to admit the guy who's jersey they're wearing actually sucks.

Archived