Rex Ryan says Schottenheimer's offense was too complex

Jetfan13

Was not comparing the relative talents of the listed qbs -just responding the posts indicating lack of mental acuity was somehow responsible for Sanchez' inability to perform.

I kid. I just don't think the type of intelligence measured by the Wonderlich is the type of intelligence (or lack thereof) that people are talking about when pointing to Sanchez.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And Bernard Berrian, bro!

Favre eliminated the pre-snap motion, allegedly. Bottom line, the Favre year was the only one in which Schottenheimer looked anything more than inept. So, there you go, it took having a HOF QB to come in here and prop up Schotty's offense to the point where it was better than mediocre.

But, guess what? The Jets don't have a HOF QB. If you want to give him a pass because of that fact, cool. But, he had a hand in picking two young QBs and he never found a way to make it work with either of them, and you could justifiably fire him (and the GM) based on that fact alone. (And, you don't draft Clemens in the second round because you want him to be a career backup.) Schottenheimer was a failure here. He sucked. That's it. He's gone and he should have been gone three years ago when Mangini got the wack.

Same for Sean Payton or Bill Belichick...It's a QBs sport...As far as not making it work, Sanchez isn't exactly finished yet and he managed to drag that dipsh*t to the playoffs (deep, twice) just like he did Pennington (shallow, once).

Same for Sean Payton or Bill Belichick...It's a QBs sport...The Jets field sh*tty QBs, they should get a sh*tty product.

But Schotty has to share in that blame. No, it's not entirely fair that Tannenbaum sucks, but Schotty's had two chances now to work with a young QB and has failed both times.

Schitty was 1/2 away from a SB vs Indy, had fragile Greene not gotten hurt who knows. Schott gets blamed for everything and gets zero credit

I think being under a good coach like Fisher will help him. I still maintain rex is clueless as a HC

LOL. Who knows? Your best defense of Schitty is that the Jets may have gone to the SB if a rookie RB didn't get hurt?

And Schitty had a chance to get the Jets within 7 vs. Steelers at the goaline but not only called bad plays but couldn't even get the calls in on time. In fact, in the postgame, it was revealed that Schitty instituted the exact same gameplan against the Steelers as he did in the regular season match, not ever accounting for their adjustments.

What credit do you want to give Schitty? His unit has consistently been ranked the worst of the 3 units (O, D, STs) during his tenure. Yeah, we'll blame it on the players. Now when Bradford performs like the rest we'll blame it on him too.

Cam Cameron was OC for Chargers, look at all the flack Joe Flacco is gettin now with Cam as his OC, funny how Schott gets blamed for everything, I blamed schott last night for having awful gas.

Exactly my point. Its weak sauce to blame the OC when the player cannot execute the simplest of plays. Flacco is/was always a big tease. His arm strength reminds me of Vinny Testaverde but any pass rush at all forces him into bad decisions. Kind of like our boy Sanchez. Players like this hurt the reputation of coaches. I hated how Cam got blamed for John Beck as well. The guy never had a chance. Cam did great things with Cleo Lemon and I for one miss those days.

This reminds me of the days someone would tell us how great Brady Croyle was and would of been a great fit for the Jets.

Sanchez deserves year four just like Brees, Eli and a host of other QB's were allowed after not so good starts to their careers. He craps the bed and he is gone.

We will have a lot of answers this time next year and resident experts may have to do yet another 180.....change back avatars etc.

In all seriousness I think we all agree that the Jets have Sanchez on a short rope and that if any of us were the GM/HC, short of Brees or Peyton signing here, Sanchez gets year four.

LOL. Who knows? Your best defense of Schitty is that the Jets may have gone to the SB if a rookie RB didn't get hurt?

And Schitty had a chance to get the Jets within 7 vs. Steelers at the goaline but not only called bad plays but couldn't even get the calls in on time. In fact, in the postgame, it was revealed that Schitty instituted the exact same gameplan against the Steelers as he did in the regular season match, not ever accounting for their adjustments.

What credit do you want to give Schitty? His unit has consistently been ranked the worst of the 3 units (O, D, STs) during his tenure. Yeah, we'll blame it on the players. Now when Bradford performs like the rest we'll blame it on him too.

sanchez 4 playoffs win all on road, schott gets zero credit with an awful QB

Jet fans got what they wanted a new OC, no more complaints

so "few if any" includes the 11 4th quarter victories/Comebacks ? I know in some of those games he played bad at times but the bottom line is he came back and won the game.

You say you understand the point but its a bad one because Sanchez has not had good games in his career . Once again EY this is extreme and I think the point it valid I was not trying to use it like you say I was. He had 3 good games in the beginning of his career then he sh*t the bed its exactly what hes done for 3 years few good games in a row then the drop off .

You mention his playoff wins where I think he played very solid football and in a few of those games on the road out dueled Brady Manning and Rivers .

You're looking at stat lines in hindsight. I remember those first 3 games pretty well and he had about a half dozen perfectly-thrown interceptions just flat-out dropped by the other teams (on top of the ones he did throw). If they weren't dropped does that mean he played worse? Or is his measurement of good vs bad dependent upon how good or bad the hands are of opposing defenders? He had a 5-pick game shortly after that, but would it have been considered a not-so-bad performance if Buffalo dropped 3 of them?

He was fine for a rookie those first few games but this is revisionist fiction to suggest he somehow had these 3 oh-so-good games.

Never seen over such a short span - particularly his first 2 years - where a QB was propped up so much due to the catching ineptitude of other teams' defenders.

This reminds me of the days someone would tell us how great Brady Croyle was and would of been a great fit for the Jets.

Sanchez deserves year four just like Brees, Eli and a host of other QB's were allowed after not so good starts to their careers. He craps the bed and he is gone.

We will have a lot of answers this time next year and resident experts may have to do yet another 180.....change back avatars etc.

In all seriousness I think we all agree that the Jets have Sanchez on a short rope and that if any of us were the GM/HC, short of Brees or Peyton signing here, Sanchez gets year four.

Yeah Sanchez will get year 4. This is probably the make or break year. He doesn't need to drastically improve but he does need to show he's going somewhere. It's a bit of a shame, in retrospect, that we didn't fire Shotty last year. I would have liked to have seen Sanchez' "last chance" come in year 2 of a new OC rather than year 1.

Yeah Sanchez will get year 4. This is probably the make or break year. He doesn't need to drastically improve but he does need to show he's going somewhere. It's a bit of a shame, in retrospect, that we didn't fire Shotty last year. I would have liked to have seen Sanchez' "last chance" come in year 2 of a new OC rather than year 1.

+1

No-he needs to drastically improve. Either they will have a real backup ready to come in wehn he screws the pooch, or he won't be here. You cannot have your QB commit 28 turnovers, miss receivers regularly, never lead anyone, nor throw more than 4 yards with accuracy. He needs to grow up fast or he will be out of football very soon.

When your coach, GM and owner all rush to tell the media that one of the highest offseason priorities is to bring in a better set of back-up quarterbacks despite the fact your starting QB has never come close to missing a game with injury, you've pretty much run out of rope as the starting QB.

It will be interesting to see how Bradford does under him. Bradford like Freeman also took gigantic steps backward this year.

I think Sanchez will improve but who knows how much damage to his psych was done this year.

You're looking at stat lines in hindsight. I remember those first 3 games pretty well and he had about a half dozen perfectly-thrown interceptions just flat-out dropped by the other teams (on top of the ones he did throw). If they weren't dropped does that mean he played worse? Or is his measurement of good vs bad dependent upon how good or bad the hands are of opposing defenders? He had a 5-pick game shortly after that, but would it have been considered a not-so-bad performance if Buffalo dropped 3 of them?

He was fine for a rookie those first few games but this is revisionist fiction to suggest he somehow had these 3 oh-so-good games.

Never seen over such a short span - particularly his first 2 years - where a QB was propped up so much due to the catching ineptitude of other teams' defenders.

Stop making more out of this than it is sperm if it was a bad idea to use as an example (first 3 games) so be it. My point was to show his ups and downs and anyone who says Sanchez has not had a good amount of "ups" in his career really should not be debating the subject. His biggest problem is inconsistency hence the ups and downs. I happen to be one who blames a lot of the Jets offensive woes on Brian Shottenheimer and we have no idea wtf this idiot was doing in the development of our QB . Im guessing we will see next year how Sanchez does in a different system hopefully with some real weapons to work with as well not ones who have been disrupting the team since week 3 and hopefully some that are under the age of freakin 30

When your coach, GM and owner all rush to tell the media that one of the highest offseason priorities is to bring in a better set of back-up quarterbacks despite the fact your starting QB has never come close to missing a game with injury, you've pretty much run out of rope as the starting QB.

No Tom thats the Idiot Jets organization answering to the idiot media. They blurt out sh*t the Jets answer the question. I can see why they Had Brunell early on in his career but I see no reason now why we cant have Oconnel and McElroy as back ups and use the money to get some good players in positions of need on this football team.

Are these the interviews you're hearing in your head again?

No Tom thats the Idiot Jets organization answering to the idiot media. They blurt out sh*t the Jets answer the question. I can see why they Had Brunell early on in his career but I see no reason now why we cant have Oconnel and McElroy as back ups and use the money to get some good players in positions of need on this football team.

Don't you want Peyton...

I don't think the problem is that Sanchez is dumb, though I wish it was, because you can coach around that. Instead, his main issue is that he lacks good football instincts and has a poor feel for the game on the field, at least compared to other starting-caliber QB's in the league.

Not to consider it gospel, but Sanchez scored a 28 on the Wonderlic - same as Peyton Manning and Drew Brees. He's clearly not Bradshaw (15), Testaverde (17), or Marino (17) dumb, but the fact that he has an above-average aptitude to learn doesn't provide any predictive value as to how he's going to react when he needs to put a plan into action, especially under duress.

Wow, Rex not only throws Schotty under the bus, but he gets in and drives over him.

Before, Rex was pro Schotty. He was his guy.

This is what I am saying, it is getting harder to just stand by this guy.....he really is starting to sound like that fat guy in the bar sitting by himself talking about a kinds of sh*t like he is an expert of all, but in reality doesn't know sh*t!

If we accept the proposition that Sanchez is not "dumb", "stupid" or mentally deficient but lacks the instinct then we have to look at his background at a major level as being a starting qb for four years not the 5-7 years of most third years player. Add this to his pro accomplishment of four playoff wins, the many comback wins, we have reason to hope his fourth year will show the kind of improvement the previously cited "elite" qbs have shown especially with the elimination of the much beloved Shottenheimer.

On another front, how many of you expected the obese HC of the Jets to call his recently departed OC an incompetent piece of ________while he was still on the active Jet payroll

If we accept the proposition that Sanchez is not "dumb", "stupid" or mentally deficient but lacks the instinct then we have to look at his background at a major level as being a starting qb for four years not the 5-7 years of most third years player. Add this to his pro accomplishment of four playoff wins, the many comback wins, we have reason to hope his fourth year will show the kind of improvement the previously cited "elite" qbs have shown especially with the elimination of the much beloved Shottenheimer.

On another front, how many of you expected the obese HC of the Jets to call his recently departed OC an incompetent piece of ________while he was still on the active Jet payroll

Nice post. Goes against the popular sky is falling theme but has a lot of truth to it.

Archived