Rex Ryan says Schottenheimer's offense was too complex

Jetfan13

Rex Ryan admitted in a radio interview on WFAN Friday that former offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer’s system may have been too complex for him to grasp according to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. Players and members of the organization told the Daily News in last week’s report that Sanchez sometimes had difficulty absorbing the system from week to week, which affected his confidence.

“I’m committed to learning our offense and getting it to work,” Ryan said. “Quite honestly, the verbiage that we had last season was probably a little much. I can tell you that we’re going to run a Power. I could tell you the protections and things like that. I want to know even more about it. And if I can help, I certainly will. I really am excited about having Tony Sparano here to be our offensive coordinator. When we were in the interview process, he showed me the verbiage… all this type of stuff... I’m like, “Wow.” I can visualize our football team in this type of system. I can see Mark being extremely effective playing the quarterback position. Also, I liked the mentality that (we’ll have) similar to what we had a couple of seasons ago where we were able to run the football regardless of what we’re facing…. I’m excited about sitting in there and learning as well.”

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex Ryan admitted in a radio interview on WFAN Friday that former offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer’s system may have been too complex for him to grasp according to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. Players and members of the organization told the Daily News in last week’s report that Sanchez sometimes had difficulty absorbing the system from week to week, which affected his confidence.

“I’m committed to learning our offense and getting it to work,” Ryan said. “Quite honestly, the verbiage that we had last season was probably a little much. I can tell you that we’re going to run a Power. I could tell you the protections and things like that. I want to know even more about it. And if I can help, I certainly will. I really am excited about having Tony Sparano here to be our offensive coordinator. When we were in the interview process, he showed me the verbiage… all this type of stuff... I’m like, “Wow.” I can visualize our football team in this type of system. I can see Mark being extremely effective playing the quarterback position. Also, I liked the mentality that (we’ll have) similar to what we had a couple of seasons ago where we were able to run the football regardless of what we’re facing…. I’m excited about sitting in there and learning as well.”

This is complete Cullcrap, I spoke with Jim Miller regarding schott's Offense. He told me it was well designed, all the motion is setup to provide reads for the QB. Sanchez is just a dumb QB. So I do not see how Soprano is going to make MS into einstein, unless that means no audibles and hand the ball off for 40 plays. sounds real exciting for jet fans

This is complete Cullcrap, I spoke with Jim Miller regarding schott's Offense. He told me it was well designed, all the motion is setup to provide reads for the QB. Sanchez is just a dumb QB. So I do not see how Soprano is going to make MS into einstein, unless that means no audibles and hand the ball off for 40 plays. sounds real exciting for jet fans

If Sanchez is no genius, then you develop an offense that he can grasp.

Vinny Testaverde was as dumb as they came, and could not read a defense to save his life, but Parcells and Henning developed an offense that he could grasp and play within. You don't ask a player to do things he can't.

"Red, green.yellow" as simple and stupid as it seemed for Sanchez worked.

Vinny Testaverde was as dumb as they came, and could not read a defense to save his life, but Parcells and Henning developed an offense that he could grasp and play within. You don't ask a player to do things he can't.

How much simpler could they possibly have made the offense over the past 3 years? All they've done is dumb things down for Sanchez...Not to mention that Giant fans whined about how complicated their offense with Gilbride was...Now it's paying off in spades (that works, right?)...Anyway can't wait to hear about Sporano's super special super unique system and how it will be the difference.GROUDNZ AND POUNDZ baby.

OTOH what Rex should have gotten on is how that offense didn't have route designs intended to get the WR open.

that's been my fear, shotty will run a smokin offense somewhere else, and sanchez will just keep sucking

I'm sorry a top 5 pick with No Brains and he has 1/2 the ability of vinnie

i was wrong on sanchez from beginning. Too much film on him now, Doubt he will ever be more than Avg. It is sad when u have to ask your QB to hand it off 40x, when

rules dictate that passing is necessary in today's NFL

G&P is dead, If ravens win tomorrow it will be via air not ground

The real goat of this season is Callahan. he obviously was ticked that the Jets blocked his movement last year, and he allowed that group to regress. by far, the unit that took the biggest plunge in 2011 was the O-line.

I am not sure what QB can operate with a turnstile at RT. LT was not much better as DBrick looked hardly motivated.

That does nit take all of the spotlight off Sanchez, but it certainly does make it more difficult for any QB to operate

How much simpler could they possibly have made the offense over the past 3 years? All they've done is dumb things down for Sanchez...Not to mention that Giant fans whined about how complicated their offense with Gilbride was...Now it's paying off in spades (that works, right?)...Anyway can't wait to hear about Sporano's super special super unique system and how it will be the difference.GROUDNZ AND POUNDZ baby.

OTOH what Rex should have gotten on is how that offense didn't have route designs intended to get the WR open.

Gotta love it. Everyone wanted Schotty gone. He was stunting Mark's growth. Whether it was system, coaching, development, all Schotty. Now's he gone, we have a new OC who is going to simplify things and Rex basically confirms that it was the system but thats not good enough. Too funny.

Draft

1. DeCastro

2. Allen

3. LaMichael James

Cut

Hunter (Save 2.5M)

Sign/Resign

Bell

Turner

and run it down everyone's throats.

LT: D'Brick, Howard

LG: DeCastro, Slauson

C: Mangold, Turner

RG: Moore, Schlauderaff, Canfield

RT: Bell, Ducasse

RB: Greene, McKnight, James

TE: Keller, Allen, Cumberland

WR: Holmes, Kerley, Turner, Dexter Jackson, Payne/Campbell

QB: Sanchez, Back up

Leaves enough to sign Landry and resign Pouha, BT who would come cheap, Maybin, Leonhard and Pool. Same defense but with Landry starting at Safety, hopefully Maybin a little strong and bigger and a healthy Bryan Thomas.

The coaches on the other teams had no problem figuring it out.

One thing that is clear; the Jets do not self-scout very well. Qulaity control was spread over 3 assistants: Jim O'Neil, Brian Smith, and Lance Taylor were all assigned to do that work under the title of Quality Control. Each also had other primary responsibilties. Either nobody paid attention to them, or they are morons, or they were empty titles and the work wasn't done in the first place. Because Schitty was as predictable as sunrise.

I'm sorry a top 5 pick with No Brains and he has 1/2 the ability of vinnie

i was wrong on sanchez from beginning. Too much film on him now, Doubt he will ever be more than Avg. It is sad when u have to ask your QB to hand it off 40x, when

rules dictate that passing is necessary in today's NFL

G&P is dead, If ravens win tomorrow it will be via air not ground

Completely agree with you.

I can't understand how people are so high on a guy who led the league in turnovers and was like 4th to last in the league in passer rating among season long starters, ahead of McCoy, Freeman, and Gabbert.

To jump ahead of the counter-argument, of course passer rating isn't a tremendously important stat, but, when you look at it, you see who is at the top, and you see who is at the bottom, and it pretty much correlates to good QBs/bad QBs.

you guys just love to hate and bitch don't you? Everyone wanted Schotty gone. So now that he is gone, turns out it was all on Rex all the time...we should fire Rex and bring back Schotty as the HC if you all have your way.

Rex is an idiot sorry, i liked him 1st yr, started to dislike him last yr and i cant stand him this yr. He is at best a DC and his Def has declined every year

Rex is an idiot sorry, i liked him 1st yr, started to dislike him last yr and i cant stand him this yr. He is at best a DC and his Def has declined every year

I wouldn't go that far. But he is repeating the same mistakes his father made. And that doesn't show much flexibilty nor much of a fast learning curve.

So our offense has to be dumbed down to accommodate both the QB and the HC. And this should improve things.

That is friggin' depressing.

It just might. I'm actually warming up to it. I could see this looking like a Saints offense in terms of set up. The Saints rarely run 5 wide, or even 4 wide. They a run a lot of 2, 3 WR sets with a TE in the slot or coming off the line coupled with a strong run game. Less reads, less mistakes, less for Mark to **** up basically.

1. F Sanchez. Next year, every pass he throws will be off of play action. I hope everybody's prepared for the Paul Hackett glory days of watching the QB fake the handoff to the fullback on 3rd and 15, only to complete six yard passes to the flat because that's exactly what you're getting.

2. I don't believe for a second that Rex didn't "understand" the offense. I do believe that he wasn't a fan of all the five-wide, no backs crap and the crazy motions (especially for an offense that wasn't threatening downfield). This is just Rex again trying to pull all the blame onto himself so that his QB doesn't have to take the heat, which is foolish. At some point, he's gotta let his players face the music, whether it's Holmes or Sanchez or Eric Smith. These are men and he treats them like infants, then he wonders why they splinter at the first sign of criticism.

The idiot has never had a losing season despite playing with one of the worst QBs in the league.

1. F Sanchez. Next year, every pass he throws will be off of play action. I hope everybody's prepared for the Paul Hackett glory days of watching the QB fake the handoff to the fullback on 3rd and 15, only to complete six yard passes to the flat because that's exactly what you're getting.

2. I don't believe for a second that Rex didn't "understand" the offense. I do believe that he wasn't a fan of all the five-wide, no backs crap and the crazy motions (especially for an offense that wasn't threatening downfield). This is just Rex again trying to pull all the blame onto himself so that his QB doesn't have to take the heat, which is foolish. At some point, he's gotta let his players face the music, whether it's Holmes or Sanchez or Eric Smith. These are men and he treats them like infants, then he wonders why they splinter at the first sign of criticism.

Believe...BELIEVE....BELIEVE in the power of looo, The Run.

wait

rex didn't understand the offense his team was running ?

didn't know his two captains hated each other ?

what does he do all day, post here ?

No, sanchez an idiot, perhaps a lazy one, and this is Rex supporting sanchez by saying even he thought it was too much. All of this is designed to prop up Sanchez without attacking Schotty too much, but the attacks will get stronger if people don't stop saying bad things about wittle markie... by TC everyone, at least internally will be on board with it's all schotty's fault

It just might. I'm actually warming up to it. I could see this looking like a Saints offense in terms of set up. The Saints rarely run 5 wide, or even 4 wide. They a run a lot of 2, 3 WR sets with a TE in the slot or coming off the line coupled with a strong run game. Less reads, less mistakes, less for Mark to **** up basically.

Brees goes through his progressions ridiculously fast like he's got 3 pairs of eyeballs, is amazing at moving around in a collapsing pocket, and is deadly accurate so he needs only the smallest window to fit it into. He also leads his receivers phenomenally well so he doesn't need a lot of air to get a lot of yards on a pass. He also seems a good deal smarter than Sanchez, who can't do any of those things except by accident where the law of averages dictates he'll periodically make some absolutely perfect passes.

The idiot has never had a losing season despite playing with one of the worst QBs in the league.

He's the HC who drafted him, was he not?

Rex is responsible for Mark not developing, too.

When a HC has no valuable insight to offer, ie aide in development of the QB, it's a problem.

I'm behind Rex 100% HOWEVER that means backing it up by creating the most dominant Offensive Line in football. That meana the very average although very affordable Matt Slauson doesn't cut it for me anymore. And to boot how about a real pass catching TE who can really catch on play action.

Brees goes through his progressions ridiculously fast like he's got 3 pairs of eyeballs, is amazing at moving around in a collapsing pocket, and is deadly accurate so he needs only the smallest window to fit it into. He also leads his receivers phenomenally well so he doesn't need a lot of air to get a lot of yards on a pass. He also seems a good deal smarter than Sanchez, who can't do any of those things except by accident where the law of averages dictates he'll periodically make some absolutely perfect passes.

Bree's is very good but he was nowhere near this level until he started playing with a HC/offensive mind like Sean Payton. Not to mention dome conditions.

Archived