Rex Ryan The Players Coach

JetNation

Post image for Rex Ryan The Players Coach

I Like Rex Ryan.  But there were times during this year’s disappointing campaign that I wasn’t sure I did.  His sidelines at times appeared chaotic, he needs to improve his game and clock management skills, and most obviously, he must be better tuned in to the psyche of the players in his locker-room.  But these are skills, and skills can be developed and improved.  Most coaches achieve greatness because of something beyond skill, something less tangible.  They have an innate quality that only exists in great leaders of men, to get the most out of each individual, sharing the virtue of suffering, sacrificing personal achievement for team success.  Coach Rex Ryan can be that leader.   It is clear after three seasons with the Jets, his players will lay it on the line for him.  The recognition of the exceptions and the taking of swift and decisive action is when true leadership emerges.

I first thought about this when I read that Patriot’s Head Coach Bill Belichick made rookie Stevan Ridley inactive for the AFC Championship game against the Baltimore Ravens.  In a 45-10 victory over the Denver Broncos, Ridley fumbled in the third quarter.  Who would even notice a fumble in a game so dominated by the Patriots?  Coach Belichick took notice and action as Ridley didn’t see the field again that day and perhaps the rest of the year.  When you consider how many carries Ridley was getting for a team not very deep at running back, Coach Belichick’s message was loud and clear, achieve greatness or stay home.

Looking back on the New York Jets season there were plenty of opportunities to send this same message, most notably perhaps with Matt Mulligan.  When you consider penalties, poor blocking, and a sideline argument with RB coach Anthony Lynn, a missed opportunity by Rex to make a huge statement of Mulligan’s inability to achieve greatness, could have put the rest of the team on notice.  Leadership is having the courage to make unpopular decisions.  When you stand at a podium and insist you are good enough to win a Super Bowl but allow mediocrity in the locker room, it’s not talent holding the team back, it is a lack of genuine leadership.

When comparing the two coaches, Ryan and Belichick, there is one huge difference.  Coach Ryan wants to live up to his label of a “player’s coach”, to be liked by his players and they in turn will play hard.  It’s a “when they feel good they will play well” philosophy.  Coach Belichick has never sought the “player’s coach” label and he demands greatness out of everyone, all the time.  It’s a “play well and you will feel good” philosophy.

Ironically in the end, both coaches are liked by their players, but for right now many players who like Belichick, have rings on their fingers.

di
di

W7VHDS7e30k

View the full article

Good article. I like the Ridley example, but an even better one would have been Tom Coughlin benching Ahmad Bradshaw for the first half of the Giants win-or-die game against Dallas for being late to a meeting. Contrast that to how Rex handled Santonio Holmes after his disgraceful actions in the Eagles debacle--fumble, tipped pass leading to a pick, and (worst of all) Holmes mocking the Eagles TD celebration while down 18--and you know all you need to know about how a team falls apart. If you're a Mangold, or Brick, or Harris--guys who seem to be team-first and who do all the right things--how can you take Rex seriously as a leader when he was kissing Holmes' a$$ all year, WITH that stupid C on his chest, all the while with Holmes being a primadonna bitch in the locker room? Answer: you don't. What kind of message does that send? I don't care what job you have; if your boss continually rewards even his best employee despite that employee being a disruptive, self-serving a$$hole, there's no way you're not losing respect for your boss.

Rex needs to pull his head out of his fat a$$ and realize that being the players' favoritest guy in the whole world means absolutely dick in the NFL. Let him go ask Herm Edwards about that one.

Good article. I like the Ridley example, but an even better one would have been Tom Coughlin benching Ahmad Bradshaw for the first half of the Giants win-or-die game against Dallas for being late to a meeting. Contrast that to how Rex handled Santonio Holmes after his disgraceful actions in the Eagles debacle--fumble, tipped pass leading to a pick, and (worst of all) Holmes mocking the Eagles TD celebration while down 18--and you know all you need to know about how a team falls apart. If you're a Mangold, or Brick, or Harris--guys who seem to be team-first and who do all the right things--how can you take Rex seriously as a leader when he was kissing Holmes' a$$ all year, WITH that stupid C on his chest, all the while with Holmes being a primadonna bitch in the locker room? Answer: you don't. What kind of message does that send? I don't care what job you have; if your boss continually rewards even his best employee despite that employee being a disruptive, self-serving a$$hole, there's no way you're not losing respect for your boss.

Rex needs to pull his head out of his fat a$$ and realize that being the players' favoritest guy in the whole world means absolutely dick in the NFL. Let him go ask Herm Edwards about that one.

T0m....I was thinking Herm as I was reading the article....what pissed me off was how the last three games of the year were handled. I can look at the first three game losing streak and moan about it...but true leadership would have looked at those early 3 losses in a row and learn from it. At 8-5, we had control...and it slipped away. After what happed this year, I believe that Rex has the opportunity to correct a lot of the past ills...the issue I take is or what I think is that he will fall flat on his face this year. I don't think he will change or tweek what needs to be tweeked. With that said, maybe that's what it will take to get a real coach in here. I know people don't want to hear this crap. But look at what we have...Herm, mangini, Rex.....no SB appearance. You cannot blame talent for that all the time.

In the end I am a Jets fan, I hope that the issues we faced are corrected and most of it starts with Rex, and then Sanchez. If there is no improvement...WTF do we do? Answer me that?

What's nuts is I can remember even a buffoon like Herm Edwards slapping players (Damien Robinson and Larry Johnson come to mind) with suspensions and fines.

Rex's problem was never about being a "player's coach." This is once again the short term memory problem of media and fans. His coaching style wasn't an issue last year.

Rex's problem was that he was negligent in his HC duties by completely ignoring what was going on with the offense. He had no idea what the offensive players were doing, no idea about the gameplan, etc.

Rex is a players coach, but we haven't heard any problems about infighting on the defense. Why not? We got Smith blowing games. Cro blowing games. But there is no reported infighting or annonymous quotes.

Rex's problem was never about being a "player's coach." This is once again the short term memory problem of media and fans. His coaching style wasn't an issue last year.

Rex's problem was that he was negligent in his HC duties by completely ignoring what was going on with the offense. He had no idea what the offensive players were doing, no idea about the gameplan, etc.

Rex is a players coach, but we haven't heard any problems about infighting on the defense. Why not? We got Smith blowing games. Cro blowing games. But there is no reported infighting or annonymous quotes.

Exactly and to be brutally honest...The Radiers Game, The Broncos game, The Giants Game and The Miami game are all on the defense. And All on Rex

Gross. BB had the luxury to bench Ridley. He's got 3 other options he can use. Lets see him bench Tom Brady for stinking up the joint in the AFCC game.

It amazes me how much everyone sucks that guys dick. Great coach, obviously in the Goat conversation but lets not act like he's making examples of people that he cant afford to lose

Gross. BB had the luxury to bench Ridley. He's got 3 other options he can use. Lets see him bench Tom Brady for stinking up the joint in the AFCC game.

It amazes me how much everyone sucks that guys dick. Great coach, obviously in the Goat conversation but lets not act like he's making examples of people that he cant afford to lose

Yes, because Holmes carried the offense all year.

Exactly and to be brutally honest...The Radiers Game, The Broncos game, The Giants Game and The Miami game are all on the defense. And All on Rex

The only game on that list that is on the D is the Raiders game. In the Miami, and Denver game they did more than enough to win, and the Giants game was a complete albatross the WHOLE team sucked, and the D some how gave the O the ball with 4+ minutes left down 6 at midfield, not to mention bailing the O out after not scoring from the 3 yard line to get the game to 20-14, um so yea the D cost us those games.

I assume that other than Rex, Sanchez and the entire defense there are a bunch of other Jets that you hate... For reference purposes, could you post up a complete list for us

Rex may be a players coach but the downside to that is I think the players eventually interpret that as weakness they can take advantage of as evidenced by this years collapse. Its a psychological manipulation by the coach that can work for a while but once that trust is cracked its over. Im not sure if the really good coaches are ever a players coach. Parcells maybe? Certainly not Coughlin or Belichek.

The only game on that list that is on the D is the Raiders game. In the Miami, and Denver game they did more than enough to win, and the Giants game was a complete albatross the WHOLE team sucked, and the D some how gave the O the ball with 4+ minutes left down 6 at midfield, not to mention bailing the O out after not scoring from the 3 yard line to get the game to 20-14, um so yea the D cost us those games.

The Bronco's game wasn't on the D?...WTF?

I assume that other than Rex, Sanchez and the entire defense there are a bunch of other Jets that you hate... For reference purposes, could you post up a complete list for us

Dude I don't hate anyone...just calling things as they are....

The Bronco's game wasn't on the D?...WTF?

I wouldn't say that game was on the defense. It would have been nice if they stopped the Broncos...Eric Smith could have not missed Tebow twice on the final play, and the Jets would have won.

But the total points given up wasn't bad. And Sanchez gave the Bronocos 7 on his own.

But all in all...that game was on a lot of people and units. I blame the offense more for it though.

they say that rex has this savant skill where he can see all 22 players on the football field at once and know exactly what each one is doing right or wrong

he's not perfect but he's a football lifer and he always has an elite defense.

Rex can be the coach of the Jets for as long as he wants, as far as I'm concerned.

people tend to forget there are 31 losers each year and only 1 winner. they are in the division with tom brady and a fist full of rings.

If Rex knew the locker room better or improved on offense, that doesn't necessarily equate to a Super Bowl victory.

Rex is the best coach they've had since Parcells, and I hope he stays for a very long time. 10-15 years.

I wouldn't say that game was on the defense. It would have been nice if they stopped the Broncos...Eric Smith could have not missed Tebow twice on the final play, and the Jets would have won.

But the total points given up wasn't bad. And Sanchez gave the Bronocos 7 on his own.

But all in all...that game was on a lot of people and units. I blame the offense more for it though.

Max...I don't know...but it just seemed more than not when we needed a big stop...it never was there...or am I being too critical?

they say that rex has this savant skill where he can see all 22 players on the football field at once and know exactly what each one is doing right or wrong

he's not perfect but he's a football lifer and he always has an elite defense.

Rex can be the coach of the Jets for as long as he wants, as far as I'm concerned.

people tend to forget there are 31 losers each year and only 1 winner. they are in the division with tom brady and a fist full of rings.

If Rex knew the locker room better or improved on offense, that doesn't necessarily equate to a Super Bowl victory.

Rex is the best coach they've had since Parcells, and I hope he stays for a very long time. 10-15 years.

That explains why we had 12 men on the field on defense many many times........Listen I like Rex i just want him to learn from this year and improve....

Could not agree more. Rex has to stop pretending Sanchez could be a great QB when no one with a brain thinks that.

Archived