2nd round picks

Joe Jets fan

Anyone want to guess how many 2nd round picks that the Jets picked started for the Jets in 2011?

This is a big reason IMHO that we have problems with personal.

One, just One!!

Not saying our drafts haven't sucked in the second round...but the Pasties started how many UDFA this season?

18 players and 8 starters.

Bottom line...it don't matter where we find em we just need to find em then coach em.

Not saying our drafts haven't sucked in the second round...but the Pasties started how many UDFA this season?

Bottom line...it don't matter where we find em we just need to find em then coach em.

The Patriots had 8 defensive players on IR while the Jets had only 2. The reason the Patriots survived all their injuries is because they have had 50 draft picks in the last 5 years as well as finding UDFA to fill voids of injury. Many people in this forum say how injuries hurt the Jets but realistically the Jets did not have nearly as many injuries as the Giants, 6 defensive players on IR, or Patriots the two Super Bowl teams, if they did the Jets would have won 3 games.

Look at the Packers, all the injuries they had last year how did they survive and win the Super Bowl. Those teams build through the draft and can survive a long season as well as being ready to win in December something the Jets were not ready to do cause they have no depth. Besides you can't have second round picks starting when most years you don't have one.

How come the Patriots lost Dan Koppen their Pro Bowl center for the whole year and didn't miss a beat? If the Jets lost Nick Mangold they'd be dead. Yes teams use UDFA a lot so do the Jets but the fact is they are un-drafted for a reason. You need to use the draft as well. Look at the Giants Mitch Petrus a 5th round 2010 Guard started 3 games for them cause of injury and did a nice job. Jacquian Williams a 2011 6th round pick had 78 tackles this season, filled in when Micheal Boley got hurt, and has contributed in the playoffs.

The fact is you need to get contributions from all over to win the Jets lacked a Petrus, Williams even a Vollmer. As much dislike the Giants and Pats they have built their teams smarter. The Jets had no answers this year for the many holes they had, RT, S, OLB, and no legit back ups to fill for injuries, we all know about Colin Baxter. Maybe if the Jets drafted some more players they wouldn't have so many holes, so they had better start drafting some now. They're going to need them.

The Patriots had 8 defensive players on IR while the Jets had only 2. The reason the Patriots survived all their injuries is because they have had 50 draft picks in the last 5 years as well as finding UDFA to fill voids of injury. Many people in this forum say how injuries hurt the Jets but realistically

the Jets did not have nearly as many injuries as the Giants, 6 defensive players on IR, or Patriots the two Super Bowl teams, if they did the Jets would have won 3 games.

Look at the Packers, all the injuries they had last year how did they survive and win the Super Bowl. Those teams build through the draft and can

survive a long season as well as being ready to win in December something the Jets were not ready to do cause they have no depth. Besides you can't have second round picks starting when most years you don't have one.

How come the Patriots lost Dan Koppen their Pro Bowl center for the

whole year and didn't miss a beat? If the Jets lost Nick Mangold they'd be

dead. Yes teams use UDFA a lot so do the Jets but the fact is they are

un-drafted for a reason. You need to use the draft as well. Look at the

Giants Mitch Petrus a 5th round 2010 Guard started 3 games for them

cause of injury and did a nice job. Jacquian Williams a 2011 6th round

pick had 78 tackles this season, filled in when Micheal Boley got hurt, and

has contributed in the playoffs.

The fact is you need to get contributions from all over to win the Jets

lacked a Petrus, Williams even a Vollmer. As much dislike the Giants and

Pats they have built their teams smarter. The Jets had no answers this

year for the many holes they had, RT, S, OLB, and no legit back ups to fill

for injuries, we all know about Colin Baxter. Maybe if the Jets drafted

some more players they wouldn't have so many holes, so they had better

start drafting some now. They're going to need them.

Answer "Franchise Quaterback" You think the Pats Win. More then six games without Tom Brady with the talent or lack of on D?

We are talking Colts 2012 part Deux without him, the real deal is real Quaterbacks make bad Teams great.

Answer "Franchise Quaterback" You think the Pats Win. More then six games without Tom Brady with the talent or lack of on D?

We are talking Colts 2012 part Deux without him, the real deal is real Quaterbacks make bad Teams great.

I believe the Patriots won 11 games with Matt Cassel as there starter one year, is he a great QB? Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson won Super Bowls are they great QBs? Rex Grossman and Matt Hasslebeck made SB are they great QBs? The fact is, teams that win build through the draft, and also where did the teams get most of their great QB's like Tom Brady, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning , when healthy, Ben Roethlisberger and Mark Sanchez, alright maybe not him, they got them in the draft. Joe Flacco isn't a great QB, but should be in the SB, he came awfully close many times because the Ravens build a great team through the draft. I bet The Ravens make the playoffs next year.

While it helps to have a great QB you can win without one but when you draft so few players for years you are asking for trouble. The fact is no team builds the way the Jets do, NONE. If the way the Jets built worked everyone would do it. Since the Jets don't have a great QB they need to have great players around him, but do they? Where are you getting these players, the cap is tight and the team is old. Trading away picks for players no longer here, Favre, Jenkins, Sheppard, Edwards as well as trading up even after giving up so many picks, this is why the Jets have so many holes and lack depth, youth and speed.

Teams need to draft players every year there is so much turn over in the NFL even on good teams. You need to bring in that young crop of talent. Sometimes a team is in a position to 'mortgage the future', a term I hate, to build now but the jets have played that card so often they cannot anymore. Every year Mike Tannenbaum does the same interview at the draft "Hey undrafted free agents come to the Jets". Of course come to the Jets they only draft 4 players they need bodies.

Just see the number of free agents this year 2013 and 2014 look at all the decisions that need to be made while other teams have cap space, younger fill ins and roster flexibility the Jets have glaring needs with no one to fill any of them. The Jets need starting level replacements at so many positions. The fact is if the Jets had 15 more draft picks which is the league average over the last five years they would be better off. This house of cards they built is crumbling and they better find a new play in the Tanny play book otherwise next year will be a disaster.

Doesn't matter what the Pats do with their draft, they have Brady.

Too many years of trader Mike caught up with us this year, there is no true depth on this team. I appreciate that Mike's netted some quality players, but only focusing on the top tier left our underbelly soft this year. Now our list of needs is is quite long... and if we want to compete this season, we have a scenario where we must hit with every pick. Not going to happen.

Too many years of trader Mike caught up with us this year, there is no true depth on this team. I appreciate that Mike's netted some quality players, but only focusing on the top tier left our underbelly soft this year. Now our list of needs is is quite long... and if we want to compete this season, we have a scenario where we must hit with every pick. Not going to happen.

Brady is the key to their team no doubt but the Pats have done a good job integrating players with less than glowing resumes. H8 Belichick but ...front office + coaching = team greater than the sum of the parts.

The Jets have always tried a different approach. Our drafts have seen too many chips used to secure a certain player (whether a pick or a veteran NFL player) versus trying to develop depth through player evaluation...the whole player personel side has not found enough players to match our system or the coaches have not been successful in adapting player skill set with the game plan...

Our team (front office + coaches) hit on DeVito, Turner and Dixon. We also look to recycle previous highly touted draft picks that didn't work out for their original teams (Jarron Gilbert, Ricky Sapp, Aaron Maybin) with mixed results.

Agree. They need more patience but also understand their dealing with a market that wants a big splash (Peyton Manning anyone) every off season and every 8-8 season is an epic failure.

Lack of quality depth also affects the special teams negatively. Those guys are not always guys signed off the street. Westhoff's boys just were not their usual good this year.

Lack of quality depth also affects the special teams negatively. Those guys are not always guys signed off the street. Westhoff's boys just were not their usual good this year.

I thought the Special Teams did fairly well this year. We seemed to cover kicks well, and even had a huge blocked punt for a win. Where it all went down hill was fumbling the return, which can hardly be Westoff's fault...

I thought the Special Teams did fairly well this year. We seemed to cover kicks well, and even had a huge blocked punt for a win. Where it all went down hill was fumbling the return, which can hardly be Westoff's fault...

STs were different this year. Even though kickoffs were virtualy negated, I did not think our kicking game was very good. Folk could not get the ball into he end zone on kickoffs a lot of the time. Our punter sucked. McKnight and Kerley fumbled punts. Yes, we did block a punt, but that was early--- in game one, I felt that things deteriorated over the season. We had a few good guys on the ST squad. Cole comes to mind. To me, we seemed to get a lot of penalties on returns.

I think at Jets training camp a fun thing would be to have one of those cardboard cut outs you see at parks. You know where you put your face in the hole you’re a character and take a picture. The Jets could have a cut out of a tight end with anyone’s face and then Eric Smith five yards behind trying to catch up after you’ve caught a pass because anyone could have 85 yards and a TD against him.

Seriously, what we as Jets fans are worried about is the upcoming year? We all see a team with big holes to fill, a QB with question marks and a team in a transition with players and staff. Yes, 8-8 is not panic mode but the 2012 season is going to mean a lot. Is Sanchez going to progress? Is Holmes going to get with the program? Is the o-line going to be better? Will the pass rush improve? Can the team finally cover a tight end?

If the 2012 season turns into, and I hope this isn’t the case, a 5-11 debacle then the whole thing will most likely be blown up and we’ll be starting over. Rex, Tanny, and Sanchez are gone. The Jets as an organization needs to have a great off season make smart player moves and have a great draft. They can’t afford to many misses this offseason.

don't forget to tell us how wrong you were when the Jets finish 12-4 next season, win their division, get to the SB and win it.

I never said the Jets were going to be 5-11 or 11-5 anything is possible. That’s the point and 8-8 team can go in many directions. I hope the team goes 12-4 but they will certainly need to make some good off season moves and Sanchez will have to take to the new offense for that to happen.

My point is Jets fans, like me, are worried that if the season goes south we all have to start again something I know I’m tired of.

Jet fans like me realize that if they win the next ten Superbowls or finish 1-15 for the next ten years, the sun will continue to rise every morning in the East and set in the West.

I prefer to remain optimistic and hope for the best and worry more about the important things in life

Jet fans like me realize that if they win the next ten Superbowls or finish 1-15 for the next ten years, the sun will continue to rise every morning in the East and set in the West.

I prefer to remain optimistic and hope for the best and worry more about the important things in life

Yes, I agree 100% a football team is no more important than the general day-to-day hardships people endure in life. I suffered a serious injury myself where I couldn’t walk for 4 months and which I am still recovering from.

Now if the Jets win or lose my injuries will still be here but spending time following the team I love does help me get by tough often painful days. I find that when the team does well I feel a little happier it’s an escape to watch them play.

So you’re correct in the grand scheme of things football is not very important but if you get enjoyment form reading and writing about your team there is a benefit.

sorry to hear about your injury, my friend

get back to 100 percent so we can all meet up for the big Superbowl Parade for the Jets, hopefully in February 2013 and the repeat at HOME at Jet Life Stadium in 2014

Thank you for the kind words and yes the parade will be great and long overdue.

Archived