We should focus ONLY on adding depth...

Ghost

The D pretty much does its part every game. There comes a time when the offense needs to as well. Thats where the line is drawn and thats where the line will stay untill something changes on the offensive front.

And that change should be the removal of Shotty with Sparano..No?

And that change should be the removal of Shotty with Sparano..No?

I highly doubt it. While I think the change was neccessary, I'm not expecting this offense to be a top 5 offense all of a sudden. In fact, I'd be shocked if it cracked the top 10. Mostly because I have zero confidence in our QB but also because its not like Sparano is some offensive genius who knows how to open the game up. If anything, we're going to be extremely conservative, ground and pound, dont let offense lose the game for you which is easier said than done with Sanchez at the helm.

That said, I'm catiously optimistic because I do believe the philosphy of Rex and Sparano are similar and because he had success vs. the Jets. So he brings the perspective of preparing for us to the table. That should help.

If the plan was to go for it all in 09/10, why draft a rookie QB at all, much less one with 16 collegiate starts?

It's ok to draft one. But why use a 1st rounder, a 2nd rounder, and a DL starter (ignore Barton & the QB)? Why not use a later pick to groom someone and bring in someone who - even if he's imperfect - is absolutely ready and competent to start immediately? Or if you're going to go trade a whole lot for a QB why not have a legit veteran QB on the roster (Garcia, etc.) so the job isn't handed to him by default? Or just hold onto the one he had in Favre who not only wanted to play for Minnesota but also wanted to skip camp which he saw as beneath him at that stage. If he stayed retired then he stayed retired. Sanchez's rookie cap hit wasn't even high so it really made no sense to cut Favre outright even if he un-retired for the Jets in July-August.

It was planned very poorly, and making it as far as the team did only highlights that shortsightedness. What it speaks to is that the GM was unaware of how good or how bad the roster was before making the move for Sanchez. Plus he saw instant success with other young QB's (Roethlisberger, Ryan, Flacco) and assumed that translated to any QB drafted highly because of changes to the game or whatever his thinking was.

If anyone disagrees with me, look at the last 4 teams to play in the Super Bowl. The Giants, Patriots and the Packers, Steelers. What do all of these teams have in common? They all build through the draft. That's exactly what the New York Jets must do.

We have little too no depth at all. If there's a chance, I won't mind trading back in this year's draft to gather more draft picks.

What they all have in common is elite QBs. The Pats have been bad drafters for close to a decade now. That's why their defense stinks. They "build" through the draft, but have done a bad job of it and, lucky for them, they have an all-time great QB who can cover it up.

That said, adding depth is the right move. Improve the roster until the QB play improves either by Sanchez taking a leap or someone elite is brought in.

I keep seeing it mentioned that Tannenbaum's "plan" was to load up on free agents for a big run in 09 and 10, but how do you explain setting up for a big short-term run while at the same time shoe-horning an inexperienced college QB and a rookie head coach into said "plan"? That's not really much of a plan. That's throwing sh*t at the wall and seeing if it sticks.

Well the run was supposed to start in '08, the year they did their big FA spending. They landed a future HOF QB (who busted) and then used a top 5 pick on a QB they thought would complete the puzzle in the long and short term...The gambles on the QBs didn't pay off for the short term (and Sanchez makes it seem like we can throw the long term in sometimes).

Sanchez, coming out of college, looked like a guy who could jump onto a complete team (which the Jets pretty much were) and show up. As it turns out, holy sh*t was that wrong.

Nothing about this franchise changes until they land a high end QB somehow. Whether that's Sanchez finding both brain and balls, drafting some kid within the next couple of years, or signing the Peyton...

So you're saying if we have the chance to upgrade, say, safety or RT, we should. Instead, find people that suck more than they do for depth.

I dont like your plan.

I think we should absolutely try to improve those positions, but if Michael Griffin wants to be paid like Ed Reed then he can kiss my a$$. If Kareem McKenzie wants to get paid like David Stewart then he can kiss my a$$ too.

I wish we didn't spend a dime last off-season just so we can go big this season. Now it's time to worry about the small stuff such as depth this season, then focus solely on the major contributors next season.

No denying that the Jets need depth but it's not as if a large chunk of their roster hasn't come from the players they drafted.

Sanchez

Greene

Conner

Brick

Mangold

Slauson

Moore (UDFA I believe)

McKnight

Kerley

Revis

Wilkerson

Pouha

Harris

B. Thomas

Devio (UDFA)

K. Wilson

to name a few......

Depth is an issue, but the drafts have put together quite a bit of our current roster.

We can say that about every team. It's adding players with your 4th-7th round picks that get you successful in this league. I do agree with you, though. But the problem is the Jets had to trade up for most of those players you named leaving us with little draft picks to draft for our main issue, depth.

Is it really? 'Cause I feel like you made that up in multiple ways. One in that it's true at all and two in that that's the only way to build a football team...

What about when a team rarely have those picks because they always trade up in drafts? Or trade for Brett Favre? Or Kris Jenkins? Or Santonio Holmes? Or Antonio Cromartie?

I do get what you mean though, but I was just stating the 4th round and up is what separates the good from the great drafting teams.

I highly doubt it. While I think the change was neccessary, I'm not expecting this offense to be a top 5 offense all of a sudden. In fact, I'd be shocked if it cracked the top 10. Mostly because I have zero confidence in our QB but also because its not like Sparano is some offensive genius who knows how to open the game up. If anything, we're going to be extremely conservative, ground and pound, dont let offense lose the game for you which is easier said than done with Sanchez at the helm.

That said, I'm catiously optimistic because I do believe the philosphy of Rex and Sparano are similar and because he had success vs. the Jets. So he brings the perspective of preparing for us to the table. That should help.

I am with you on that (being cautiously optimistic)....I just hope "we" have learned something from the 2011 season and that "we" do what is needed to have a winning 2012....

It's ok to draft one. But why use a 1st rounder, a 2nd rounder, and a DL starter (ignore Barton & the QB)? Why not use a later pick to groom someone and bring in someone who - even if he's imperfect - is absolutely ready and competent to start immediately? Or if you're going to go trade a whole lot for a QB why not have a legit veteran QB on the roster (Garcia, etc.) so the job isn't handed to him by default? Or just hold onto the one he had in Favre who not only wanted to play for Minnesota but also wanted to skip camp which he saw as beneath him at that stage. If he stayed retired then he stayed retired. Sanchez's rookie cap hit wasn't even high so it really made no sense to cut Favre outright even if he un-retired for the Jets in July-August.

It was planned very poorly, and making it as far as the team did only highlights that shortsightedness. What it speaks to is that the GM was unaware of how good or how bad the roster was before making the move for Sanchez. Plus he saw instant success with other young QB's (Roethlisberger, Ryan, Flacco) and assumed that translated to any QB drafted highly because of changes to the game or whatever his thinking was.

Dude that is a scary thought and if true explains to me WTF has been or not been going on at the Jets FO for a long time.....but the FO can correct and tweek this somewhat....I just hope we can....

I think we should absolutely try to improve those positions, but if Michael Griffin wants to be paid like Ed Reed then he can kiss my a$$. If Kareem McKenzie wants to get paid like David Stewart then he can kiss my a$$ too.

I wish we didn't spend a dime last off-season just so we can go big this season. Now it's time to worry about the small stuff such as depth this season, then focus solely on the major contributors next season.

Meh, we need to upgrade where you can upgrade. Depth is nice when you have the starters to worry about it. RIght now, the Jets need starting players at S and RT.

I am with you on that (being cautiously optimistic)....I just hope "we" have learned something from the 2011 season and that "we" do what is needed to have a winning 2012....

I tend to think this was a smack in the face for Rex and things will change. The rest, well, tough to say when you have totally unpredictable QB.

Meh, we need to upgrade where you can upgrade. Depth is nice when you have the starters to worry about it. RIght now, the Jets need starting players at S and RT.

I tend to think this was a smack in the face for Rex and things will change. The rest, well, tough to say when you have totally unpredictable QB.

If Sanchez can have something like this we will be ok = 27 TD's 10 INT's.....0 Pick 6.......

If Sanchez can have something like this we will be ok = 27 TD's 10 INT's.....0 Pick 6.......

To show bona fide progression, Sanchez needs to be 30 TDs, 15 INTs, 3,800 yds, 58 comp. % and a QBR in the high 80s/low 90s. That gives the team enough confidence that he is someone to continue to invest in.

Also, there's no way in hell he'll avoid throwing any pick 6s even with a great year. Basically every QB throws pick 6s.

To show bona fide progression, Sanchez needs to be 30 TDs, 15 INTs, 3,800 yds, 58 comp. % and a QBR in the high 80s/low 90s. That gives the team enough confidence that he is someone to continue to invest in.

Also, there's no way in hell he'll avoid throwing any pick 6s even with a great year. Basically every QB throws pick 6s.

I think you're underestimating the greatness of Tony Sparano.

And Sanchez in particular really, really, really likes throwing them.

That, and throwing to DLineman. They need to start referring to that play as The Sanchez or pulling a Sanchez. Just like the behind your back/over the shoulder throw was The Dave Brown or the shovel pass when there are at least 3 defenders between you & the RB, The Brister.

I think you're underestimating the greatness of Tony Sparano.

Sparano has his work cut out for him, but if Henning can turn bona fide 1st round bust/dumb as a rock Vinny into a probowl caliber QB in a single season, anything is possible.

That, and throwing to DLineman. They need to start referring to that play as The Sanchez or pulling a Sanchez. Just like the behind your back/over the shoulder throw was The Dave Brown or the shovel pass when there are at least 3 defenders between you & the RB, The Brister.

Sparano has his work cut out for him, but if Henning can turn bona fide 1st round bust/dumb as a rock Vinny into a probowl caliber QB in a single season, anything is possible.

They can't, because it is already called a Todd.

We can say that about every team. It's adding players with your 4th-7th round picks that get you successful in this league. I do agree with you, though. But the problem is the Jets had to trade up for most of those players you named leaving us with little draft picks to draft for our main issue, depth.

Of the players I listed, I cout four that they traded up for but I could be wrong. I get the point of the OP and I'm not saying I disagree with it, but it's not as if they Jets haven't drafted very productive young talent with their current methods. This however, is definitely a year to draft 8-12 players by using the picks they have and/or trading back in a couple of rounds.

Did Brady...Brees?

Archived