We should focus ONLY on adding depth...

Ghost

Hear me out, I want Mario Williams and these other top FAs, too. However, we don't have the cap space this season to sign these guys. We should focus on players that would add depth and versatility to this team. I hate to over look this upcoming season, but after this season, we will be looking to part ways with a couple of players that would easily put us over 25 Million in cap space.

The Jets will definitely part ways with Calvin Pace ($8,560,000), Bart Scott ($7,150,000), and Wayne Hunter ($4,000,000).

That is a saving of 19 Million just off 3 players! We can also release everyone's favorite player, Eric Smith, which will also save us 3,000,000.

We need depth now; We can get the stars later when we actually have cap space to spend. If we get a star this season, we will be hurt by his budget and will not have depth again. That's just my opinion.

I think he might be looking at 2013 cap numbers. Basically the point is don't break the bank this year use the draft and add some 'lunch pail' type free agents or guys who you can get for a year at a reasonable cost who can contribute, maybe a o-linemen like Jeff Backus for example.

Signing big time free agents for big dollars and lots of guaranteed money doesn't seem like the wise decision given the team’s situation. You don't want to get stuck with bad contracts, Holmes, that you can't get out of and have no room to sign others in the future.

Teams need to have some roster/cap flexibility and the Jets are lacking in that department right now. A frugal approach using the draft this year is what is needed to get younger, cheaper, and add some depth.

I think he might be looking at 2013 cap numbers. Basically the point is don't break the bank this year use the draft and add some 'lunch pail' type free agents or guys who you can get for a year at a reasonable cost who can contribute, maybe a o-linemen like Jeff Backus for example.

This should be the plan, but Mario Williams! Mario Williams! He might hit the open market!

Where was depth our issue? We had very little injury this season. Our starters didn't produce.

True but all year long we heard Jets fans complaining about Wayne Hunter and Eric Smith but there was no one to even challenge them for their jobs, no depth. When Bryan Thomas went down he was replaced by Garrett McIntyre? When Nice Mangold went down he was replaced by Colin Baxter, an undrafted FA who was picked up a few weeks earlier from the Chargers. Without Mangold the offense was lost.

The back-ups are never as good as the starters that's why they are back-ups but with the Jets the drop off is too much. The season is long you need to have guys who can at least perform at an NFL level.

This all goes back to the lack of using the draft. With so many players, traded for draft picks, no longer with the team the depth suffers. The replacements are not there. To survive a 16 game schedule you need to get contributions from all 53. The totality of team talent needs to rise 23-53 need to be much better incase 1-22 has some problem.

And seriously...they had the 5th ranked Defense in the league. I get it they weren't anywhere close to dominant but cutting Pace makes zero sense other than you want him to have like 5 more sacks a year.

Also if they're not saving any money by cutting Scott then it makes no sense to cut him.. With Smith you might cum him even if it cost you money just because you want to free that roster spot. But with Scott? Come on he's not nearly as bad as some are making it sound.

I actually agree with Ghost.

The best teams build through the draft. We all loved the moves over the past few years but they left us with nothing but two AFC Championship losses and a roster devoid of young talent.

It's time to build this team smarter, and that may mean that we're not much better next year, but unless we get Manning, we're not a serious contender next year anyway, so lets quit the battle for the back page, which we lost anyway, and build this team the right way.

If anyone disagrees with me, look at the last 4 teams to play in the Super Bowl. The Giants, Patriots and the Packers, Steelers. What do all of these teams have in common? They all build through the draft. That's exactly what the New York Jets must do.

We have little too no depth at all. If there's a chance, I won't mind trading back in this year's draft to gather more draft picks.

If anyone disagrees with me, look at the last 4 teams to play in the Super Bowl. The Giants, Patriots and the Packers, Steelers. What do all of these teams have in common? They all build through the draft. That's exactly what the New York Jets must do.

We have little too no depth at all. If there's a chance, I won't mind trading back in this year's draft to gather more draft picks.

Because we've seen how well that worked out for New England ;)

Selectively, as a low-risk gamble when the guy you want is probably going to be around a few picks later, sure. But as a strategy going in, I think it's a very questionable strategy.

Where was depth our issue? We had very little injury this season. Our starters didn't produce.

The first half of the year our offensive line was in disarray. Westerman isnt the producer that I hoped for, outside of Keller name another reliable TE on this football team. Outside of Holmes and Kerley what WR's do we have? We all seen what happened after Jim leonhard went down. Do I even have to talk about our Safety situation? Eric Smith, a player that I do like, is a situational safety at best. We miss players like Ihedigbo for example.

Not to mention that we could use some depth on our defensive line as well. As for our LB's we need youth and speed at that position.

I guess what im saying here is that Signing a big time free agent is cool. But its not going to fix the problem of not having reliable bodies coming off the bench if something were to happen to a starter. I'll go as far as QB. If Mark Sanchez gets hurt Im not confident that Brunell can split games. We need quality players this year, not superstars.

No denying that the Jets need depth but it's not as if a large chunk of their roster hasn't come from the players they drafted.

Sanchez

Greene

Conner

Brick

Mangold

Slauson

Moore (UDFA I believe)

McKnight

Kerley

Revis

Wilkerson

Pouha

Harris

B. Thomas

Devio (UDFA)

K. Wilson

to name a few......

Depth is an issue, but the drafts have put together quite a bit of our current roster.

Because we've seen how well that worked out for New England ;)

Selectively, as a low-risk gamble when the guy you want is probably going to be around a few picks later, sure. But as a strategy going in, I think it's a very questionable strategy.

New England always trades back in the draft getting more picks while the Jets always trade up or trade their picks away. Mike Tannenbaum has a one play playbook, be aggressive. This approach built a successful team which made playoff runs but has also lead to the problems this team faces now. The Jets have little cap space many needs. I think the Jets could use more picks this year in the draft. The Jets have had 23 picks over the last five years, the Patriots 50, while most teams have had 40 or more picks.

The Pats have built in a passive manner while they have cap space and depth they seem to lack many impact players. The Patriots while making the playoffs, winning the division every year and making the Super Bowl have not won the big one in awhile. They have 2 number 1 draft picks and 2 number 2 picks. I don't think they will trade back this year in fact they might move up in the draft.

Jets fan loves Mario Williams but New England signed Adulius Thomas in 2007 when he was considered the best pass rushing free agent that year. With Brady getting older the Patriots might, mortgage the future, and build in an aggressive manner making a play for guy like Williams or other big time free agents.

I see a role reversal in this year’s offseason. The Pats need more impact types, especially on defense, and may take an aggressive approach. The Jets lack depth and cap space and need to restock the team with younger cheaper players and may be more passive then in the past.

I actually agree with Ghost.

The best teams build through the draft. We all loved the moves over the past few years but they left us with nothing but two AFC Championship losses and a roster devoid of young talent.

It's time to build this team smarter, and that may mean that we're not much better next year, but unless we get Manning, we're not a serious contender next year anyway, so lets quit the battle for the back page, which we lost anyway, and build this team the right way.

Amen!

Not going to be a very popular stance, but I have to agree with Ghost.

The Jets loaded up with high priced FA’s, fired and missed. This needs to be a reload season. They have a choice here. They can renegotiate with Sanchez, Pace, and Scott, free up some cap space for this year, and be heavily committed to these players down the road, damaging future cap years.

Or they can let these contracts play out, concentrate on this years draft, and reload for 2013- 2014. They still have enough young talent on this team to compete in 2013 as is. Don’t for get that the Super Bowl is in NJ in 14. With this method they will still have their young core, hopefully a few new young players, and a lot of cap space to fill the holes in 13 and 14 to make another serious run.

I think they have already started that. Hunter was an indication. They have resigned Hunter. There are several very good looking OT’s that might be available at 16. Vlad, Hunter, and the Rookie compete for the starter. Hopefully either Vlad or the rookie win it. Hopefully another future starter gets taken in the 2nd. A safety?

In 13, and 14 they will have filled some holes thru the draft, cleared up a lot of legitimate cap space without being bound to useless old FA’s, and be ready to fill the remaining gaps with younger FA’s. Be back in the hunt for real.

Morning take: Patriots' draft

February, 13, 2012

Feb 13

8:00

AM ET

By James Walker

Here are the most interesting stories Monday morning in the AFC East:

Morning take: Playing in the Super Bowl can take the focus away from next season, but New England has time to catch up. The Patriots have four picks in the first two rounds and will be major players in the draft.

Morning take: Massam was a star in the CFL and the Dolphins think he could help. Miami doesn’t really need another running back, but depth at that position is always good.

Morning take: This is natural for any defense making the switch. But the Bills have two good defensive tackles -- Marcell Dareus and Kyle Williams -- who should make the transition easier.

Morning take: The Jets have some interesting decisions to make. I expect a few big cuts, and it doesn’t look like there will be enough room to get a big name.

I keep seeing it mentioned that Tannenbaum's "plan" was to load up on free agents for a big run in 09 and 10, but how do you explain setting up for a big short-term run while at the same time shoe-horning an inexperienced college QB and a rookie head coach into said "plan"? That's not really much of a plan. That's throwing sh*t at the wall and seeing if it sticks.

Hear me out, I want Mario Williams and these other top FAs, too. However, we don't have the cap space this season to sign these guys. We should focus on players that would add depth and versatility to this team. I hate to over look this upcoming season, but after this season, we will be looking to part ways with a couple of players that would easily put us over 25 Million in cap space.

The Jets will definitely part ways with Calvin Pace ($8,560,000), Bart Scott ($7,150,000), and Wayne Hunter ($4,000,000).

That is a saving of 19 Million just off 3 players! We can also release everyone's favorite player, Eric Smith, which will also save us 3,000,000.

We need depth now; We can get the stars later when we actually have cap space to spend. If we get a star this season, we will be hurt by his budget and will not have depth again. That's just my opinion.

So you're saying if we have the chance to upgrade, say, safety or RT, we should. Instead, find people that suck more than they do for depth.

I dont like your plan.

I keep seeing it mentioned that Tannenbaum's "plan" was to load up on free agents for a big run in 09 and 10, but how do you explain setting up for a big short-term run while at the same time shoe-horning an inexperienced college QB and a rookie head coach into said "plan"? That's not really much of a plan. That's throwing sh*t at the wall and seeing if it sticks.

I have to agree up to a point...the plan kinda worked 2008 (Farve)...8-3 and then injury to Farve and end of season, 2009 (AFCCG with Sanchez)...2010 (AFCCG with Sanchez)......2011..back to Earth with Snachez at 8-8...but I will say it and have said it before its not all on Sanchez.....

I have to agree up to a point...the plan kinda worked 2008 (Farve)...8-3 and then injury to Farve and end of season, 2009 (AFCCG with Sanchez)...2010 (AFCCG with Sanchez)......2011..back to Earth with Snachez at 8-8...but I will say it and have said it before its not all on Sanchez.....

If the plan was to go for it all in 09/10, why draft a rookie QB at all, much less one with 16 collegiate starts?

Raiders Game, Bronco's Game and Giants Game.......where was the D when we needed it?....just saying.

Pretty sure Cro lost the Raiders game. Pretty sure Mark's pick six lost the Bronco's game. Pretty sure Mark sucking donkey balls lost the Giants game. Eli was 9 of 27 that game.

Pretty sure Cro lost the Raiders game. Pretty sure Mark's pick six lost the Bronco's game. Pretty sure Mark sucking donkey balls lost the Giants game. Eli was 9 of 27 that game.

Jif...there comes a time when the D has got to make a stop regarless of how many times they have to do it...its called one more time. And I do see what your saying about the play of Sanchez....but where does one draw the line????

Jif...there comes a time when the D has got to make a stop regarless of how many times they have to do it...its called one more time. And I do see what your saying about the play of Sanchez....but where does one draw the line????
The D pretty much does its part every game. There comes a time when the offense needs to as well. Thats where the line is drawn and thats where the line will stay untill something changes on the offensive front.

Archived