just for fun, no pass rushers?

bitonti

report came out on Monday that the Jets wouldn't take a pass rushing OLB for the first 5 rounds of the draft.

It would be easy to dismiss this as false or a smoke screen

the fact is, they didn't take one last year. and their ideas of improving the OLB position were McIntyre and Maybin.

but just for fun let's assume it's 100% true. they won't take a DE/OLB for the first 5 rounds.

Blue Chips 99% GONE by 16 (6)

Luck, RG3, Claiborne, Kalil, TR, Blackmon.

What does that leave at 16? in the first round who are the prospects that fit the system, aren't OLB/DE?

here are some names... would love feedback from the peanut gallery.

value picks

WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame

S Mark Barron, Alabama

ILB Luke Kuechly, Boston College

OG David Decastro, Stanford

OG Cordy Glenn, Georgia

CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama

whoever DT drops out of Cox, Poe, Brockers

possible reaches

ILB Don'ta Hightower, Alabama

WR Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech (or Wright, whoever the 3rd WR is)

CB Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina

OT Mike Adams, Ohio State

next best DT Still or Worthy

Also gone almost for sure are Coples, Tannehill and Ingram, plus at least one or two of the best D'line prospects.

If its me then it's between best lineman available, either side of the ball. Even though the Jets' best overall unit (IMO) is the D'line. I think I'd take Reiff or DeCastro. I have no strong opinion about the top D'line guys.

I think Moore and Slauson were exposed when Mangold went down. It shouldn't have been that bad. Moore in particular disappointed me.

1. OG David Decastro, Stanford
  2. DT Dontari Poe
  3. DE/DT Fletcher Cox
  4. WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame
  5. CB/FS Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama
  6. ILB Luke Kuechly, Boston College
  7. OG Cordy Glenn, Georgia
  8. CB Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina
  9. S Mark Barron, Alabama
  10. ILB Don'ta Hightower, Alabama
  11. DE/DT Jerel Worthy
  12. DE/DT Devon Still
  13. WR Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech (or Wright)
  14. DE/DT Michael Brockers
  15. OT Mike Adams, Ohio State

Floyd will be the best WR taken in this class. Write it down. Memorize it. Tell your friends.

Yeah, gonna say Blackmon takes a dump on this.

I like Floyd, but Blackmon is a legit stud. I read a Jet fan post saying that Floyd reminds them of a young Braylon as if that was a good thing.

Oh. Well at least you formed your own opinion.

I don't watch much college football so my own opinion on this would be ill informed. Thus my reliance on much more well informed fellow dedicated Jet fans.

Talent wise I can see that Floyd is a fit for the Jets, but overall I think the Jets and he would be better off apart.

report came out on Monday that the Jets wouldn't take a pass rushing OLB for the first 5 rounds of the draft.

It would be easy to dismiss this as false or a smoke screen

I actually find it hard to dismiss reports that comport with what I already know just because I'd rather they weren't true.

I actually find it hard to dismiss reports that comport with what I already know just because I'd rather they weren't true.

ok now i gotta look up comport. Damn you REAMDE

as for Floyd I might start projecting him in teh mock, as kind of a reverse whammy

BTW that's not what the report said.

Exact words:

There’s a lot of speculation in mock draft’s around the internet that the New York Jets will use the 16th pick to select Courtney Upshaw of Alabama. Sources tell me that while the Jets would consider it, the way it stands today the team is unlikely to pull the trigger and choose Upshaw. The word in the scouting world is the Jets will target a pass rushing linebacker in the later (5th) rounds, similar to the way they targeted wide receivers during the same part of last April’s draft.

From Bits list how my board would look

OG Cordy Glenn, Georgia

ILB Luke Kuechly, Boston College

ILB Don'ta Hightower, Alabama

OG David Decastro, Stanford

OT Mike Adams, Ohio State

DT Poe

WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame

DT Cox

DT Brockers

WR Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech

WR Wright

DT Still

CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama

S Mark Barron, Alabama

CB Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina

This is one of the hardest drafts to predict what the Jets will do.that I can remember. But going with what Rex likes to do on defense, I would have to think at this point that Brockers or Barron have the best chance to get picked. If those two happen to be gone I could see the Jets trading out and trying to pick up Hill a little later in the round. But getting back to Brockers for a second. The Jets DL situation could use him more than most would think since Pouha isn't getting younger and Ellis still seems to be a project. The DL is very important to the Jets ability to do what they want to do on defense. I also look at what Rex did with Ngata in Baltimore and feel that Brockers is a very, very similar player that most definitely will have a similar impact. IMO Pouha is solid - but has overachieved under Rex for what he is as an athlete. I dont love Barron - but I could see the Jets taking him. Finally, imho Hightower is a better pass rusher than Upshaw is. He always seems to be playing downhill. I just dont know how he will be against the run without that all world DL infront of him.

Without having studied up on the draft much, everything I read about Decastro reads like a blue chipper at a low value position I'd like him there just fine. Is there something wrong with him I don't know about?

He plays guard and that is not a highly rated position and he is not a flawless prospect. He is not a power run blocker and he has trouble with stronger defenders.

Archived