Source: Gregg Williams instructed Saints to injure 49ers players

Jetfan13

A coach telling a player to kill a guy, knock him out, etc seems pretty normal. Williams took the hyperbole to extremes, obviously, but it seems as though the players kept in perspective, seeing as they never actually went out and acted on it. They didn't seem to cheap shot anyone more than any other physical defense in the league does.

Under no circumstances do bribes fall under the category of hyperbole.

"Another thing we always say in this room is never apologize for the way we compete. If you're in this room, you understand that."

Gregg Williams on March 21, 2012:

“I’d like to again apologize wholeheartedly to the NFL, Coach Fisher, the entire Rams organization and all football fans for my actions. Furthermore, I apologize to the players of the NFL for my involvement..."

lol.

Particularly when your image as the purveyor of a clean sport ruined by a few bad apples is a crucial element of limiting liability for hundreds of millions of dollars worth of CTE cases.

"Your honor, I was just trying to motivate my players. I told them to go out and play hard."

"You offered them $5,000 to take out their ACL's and punch them in their jugulars."

I agree that this is the point of the game.

So when our kids ask us what life lesson the game teaches us, what to we say beyond "being good only gets you so far; champions cheat"?.

"Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat"

"Another thing we always say in this room is never apologize for the way we compete. If you're in this room, you understand that."

Gregg Williams on March 21, 2012:

“I’d like to again apologize wholeheartedly to the NFL, Coach Fisher, the entire Rams organization and all football fans for my actions. Furthermore, I apologize to the players of the NFL for my involvement..."

lol.

major pool shrinkage there GW...

Seriously, is there anyone here that didn't try to knock your opponent out of a game when playing football. I remember playing left tackle my senior year and trying to clip a DT on a backside block. I hit his ankles and he came up limping. I knew he had bad ankles and made it a point to drill them every chance I got. By the 2Q he was out for the game and i got to block his replacement into the secondary.

what a man !

the newsworthy part of this is that people are honestly surprised. that's how you run defenses. and it works.

Making comments like "you kill the head and the body dies" in todays NFL is beyond stupid. Even before Goodell came into the league its beyond Stupid.

I never ever played for a coach who asked players to go out an injure people, hit them as hard as you can, make them think twice about coming in your area again ?? SURE..... but injure people ? Sorry but that is surpriseing and stupid. Players and coaches leave teams on bad terms all the time so why would any coach with a freakin brain make those comments to an entire lockerroom

The killing the head sh*t is fine as a metaphor, but the fact that he kept repeating hit him in the head on the pile makes it obvious that he is looking for cheap shots. I've heard this described as a "profanity laced tirade", but that's what's wrong with it. It sounds more like he is calmly reading from a script listing soft spots to cheap shot. You want to talk about hitting guys to keep them thinking? Fine, but this is bullsh*t and I've listened to defensive speeches by guys from every level and never heard much of this bullsh*t.

Archived