Source: Gregg Williams instructed Saints to injure 49ers players

Jetfan13

The night before Gregg Williams’ final game as the New Orleans Saints’ defensive coordinator, the since-suspended coach gave a fiery speech to the team’s defensive players during which he made specific references to inflicting physical punishment upon several San Francisco 49ers in a postseason game the next day according to Mike Silver of Yahoo Sports.

In the speech at the team’s hotel near the San Francisco Airport, Williams – according to documentary filmmaker Sean Pamphilon – at one point made a hand signal suggesting he would personally pay for a ferocious shot on 49ers quarterback Alex Smith.

Williams also referenced the prospect of his players inflicting a severe knee injury upon San Francisco wideout Michael Crabtree and exhorted them to “put a lick on” backup receiver Kyle Williams in an effort to “find out” if he was still suffering from the effects of a late-December concussion.

Pamphilon, who directed the critically acclaimed “Run Ricky Run” documentary for ESPN, is working on a project featuring former Saints special teams ace Steve Gleason, who is suffering from ALS. Pamphilon has released an audio recording of the profanity-laced speech (also obtained and listened to by Yahoo! Sports) on his website and said he believes “there’s no doubt at all” that Williams put a bounty on Smith in the meeting.

Seriously, is there anyone here that didn't try to knock your opponent out of a game when playing football. I remember playing left tackle my senior year and trying to clip a DT on a backside block. I hit his ankles and he came up limping. I knew he had bad ankles and made it a point to drill them every chance I got. By the 2Q he was out for the game and i got to block his replacement into the secondary.

Best evaluation of this I've seen yet:

Its almost like his speech starts out metaphorical and motivational and by the end of it he’s like “I’d just want to be clear that, I, Gregg Williams, Defensive Coordinator of the New Orleans Saints, am encouraging my players to kill Frank Gore’s head, not metaphorically, but rather I want them to literally kill his skull by repeatedly hitting him. Also injure Michael Crabtree’s ACL. The end.”

the newsworthy part of this is that people are honestly surprised. that's how you run defenses. and it works.

Noooooo the Saints are the bad boys of the NFL. This is a unique situation in the league and I'm glad the NFL is purging itself of d'evils.

Seriously, is there anyone here that didn't try to knock your opponent out of a game when playing football. I remember playing left tackle my senior year and trying to clip a DT on a backside block. I hit his ankles and he came up limping. I knew he had bad ankles and made it a point to drill them every chance I got. By the 2Q he was out for the game and i got to block his replacement into the secondary.

Telling guys to go after knees is beyond dirty.

What...an....effin scumbag. Ma gowd.

I agree that this is the point of the game.

So when our kids ask us what life lesson the game teaches us, what to we say beyond "being good only gets you so far; champions cheat"?.

Too bad that Hard Knocks was not in the Saints camp last season.

I'm sure they catch plenty of very interesting and rather sketchy things going on in every camp they go to, the Jets included. But there's no doubt times where the team has HBO turning off the cameras or even if not, let's not forget that the teams have final editorial say over what gets aired. Bottom line is even if they did see or even film anything the team wanted to keep quiet, they would never go to the league about it, because never again would a single team agree to do the show after that. HBO has nothing to gain by getting involved in league matters.

the newsworthy part of this is that people are honestly surprised. that's how you run defenses. and it works.

Ultimately, so what? I've never understood this "everyone is doing it" argument.

Bounties are illegal in the NFL. They have been for years. What relevance is it that other coaches are doing it?

Again, the key point in this is not merely that Williams implored his players to hurt the opponent, but that he was paying them to do it.

After Williams referenced taking out Smith, he gave the "money sign" and said the first 1 was on him. Meaning he'll pay the player who first takes out an opponent. Presumably, Vilma and the rest would pay the other players who took anyone out.

I agree that this is the point of the game.

So when our kids ask us what life lesson the game teaches us, what to we say beyond "being good only gets you so far; champions cheat"?.

"Football is both retarded and full of sh*t, play Rugby if you want a contact sport. Watch football after you figure out wrasslin is fake."

Bounties are illegal in the NFL. They have been for years. What relevance is it that other coaches are doing it?

so are steroids and human growth hormones. no one cares

the league cares about bounties cause it weakens the product to have superstar QBs be injured. illegal stuff like growth they turn a blind eye cause it helps the league.

You gotta hang him just for image purposes, even though what he did was probably just half a degree beyond the normal, accepted practice.

Particularly when your image as the purveyor of a clean sport ruined by a few bad apples is a crucial element of limiting liability for hundreds of millions of dollars worth of CTE cases.

You gotta hang him just for image purposes, even though what he did was probably just half a degree beyond the normal, accepted practice.

What are you basing this on?

We all realize its a brutal sport, but there's no reason for me to believe people are trying to intentionally tear ACL's.

The only two we've heard this ever about is Williams and Shanahan.

Particularly when your image as the purveyor of a clean sport ruined by a few bad apples is a crucial element of limiting liability for hundreds of millions of dollars worth of CTE cases.

Yikes. I can't even imagine how many times the Williams tape will be played if/when those cases get in front of a judge.

Good point. Plus the fact the league is trying to make the sport safe enough to play a 18 game schedule.

Good point. Plus the fact the league is trying to make the sport safe enough to play a 18 game schedule.

ugh i can't wait to see teams go 14-1 and then rest their guys for 3 straight effing games

goodell needs to be stopped!

infact, we need to put him in a rocket and shoot it towards some distant galaxy, therefore keeping Goodell from ruining football further.

the whole point of playing football is you can do things between the white lines that are considered assault and battery outside of the white lines.

That's the start of one of Baby Crushers favorite bedtime stories I tell him. "Baby Crusher and the QB that never was" It's a classic.

What are you basing this on?

We all realize its a brutal sport, but there's no reason for me to believe people are trying to intentionally tear ACL's.

The only two we've heard this ever about is Williams and Shanahan.

A coach telling a player to kill a guy, knock him out, etc seems pretty normal. Williams took the hyperbole to extremes, obviously, but it seems as though the players kept in perspective, seeing as they never actually went out and acted on it. They didn't seem to cheap shot anyone more than any other physical defense in the league does.

A coach telling a player to kill a guy, knock him out, etc seems pretty normal. Williams took the hyperbole to extremes, obviously, but it seems as though the players kept in perspective, seeing as they never actually went out and acted on it. They didn't seem to cheap shot anyone more than any other physical defense in the league does.

Unless they were teaching technique on how to take someones knee out like Shanahan has...this is really on nothing to see here situation.

The hyperbole Williams was using just makes him look like an idiot if anything.

Archived