Whats it like to have a pass rush?

BornJetsFan1983

I cant even remember when we had one, Im not talking a design play where we generate the Pass Rush, Im talking about our front guys beat thier front guys every now and then one on one. You know what Im talking about, we have all seen it during a non Jets late or early game.

I mean it would be nice if we had that. Maybe the Jets should check that out in the Draft...

draft us some help guys....

The Jets get to the passer but you're right in that they need that big closer that keeps QBs off balance at the end of games when you don't want to gamble with the blitz. You don't see too many contenders going out there without that big indomitable threat off the edge, which makes the Pats decisions to ignore their own pass rush that much more confusing. As for the Jets, they haven't drafted one of those guys since John Abraham. Maybe they just don't have the evaluators in the front office that can identify a JPP or a Justin Tuck?

Yes, John Abraham teamed up with Shawn Ellis was the last combo to produce a consistent pass rush. Gholston was meant to be the next in line but that pick set us back a few years. I would love to have a modern day Sack Exchange or what the Giants have putting on the field the last couple of years. That means drafting players up front on a regular draft basis. That is why I loved the two picks last year in Wilkerson and Ellis and would not be shocked if they took another one in the first round even with the holes that we have at other positions. With recent interest in Yermiah Bell for the safety position, that would possibly clear the pick for Barron although Rex was in Baltimore when he had Ed Reed.

I cant even remember when we had one, Im not talking a design play where we generate the Pass Rush, Im talking about our front guys beat thier front guys every now and then one on one. You know what Im talking about, we have all seen it during a non Jets late or early game.

I mean it would be nice if we had that. Maybe the Jets should check that out in the Draft...

draft us some help guys....

Yeah, we are desperate for help. I mean wtf, how are we supposed to succeed with the first, sixth and fifth ranked pass defense in football over the last three years???

We NEED to be the best pass defense of ALL TIME.

Come on, the Giants were AWESOME and they have a GREAT pass rush. Two pass rushers in first two rounds please, my pass rush pee-pee feels SO SMALL right now!!!

Yes, John Abraham teamed up with Shawn Ellis was the last combo to produce a consistent pass rush. Gholston was meant to be the next in line but that pick set us back a few years. I would love to have a modern day Sack Exchange or what the Giants have putting on the field the last couple of years. That means drafting players up front on a regular draft basis. That is why I loved the two picks last year in Wilkerson and Ellis and would not be shocked if they took another one in the first round even with the holes that we have at other positions. With recent interest in Yermiah Bell for the safety position, that would possibly clear the pick for Barron although Rex was in Baltimore when he had Ed Reed.

I would hate to see us sign bell at the risk of losing a true FS type of player. If we can Bell cheap and for basically insurance behind Landry, I would like it. He is no better at covering the TE than Smith.... well.... maybe a little bit better.

believe it or not, having a stud pass rusher is not the panacea we all think it is... I was speaking with Dallas fans... who obviously love demarcus ware. but the problem is that the team relies on 1 person to make big plays on defense, and when that doesn't happen you are totally screwed. it breeds laziness in the scheme. no one else has to get to the QB cause demarcus is gonna do it. of the cowboys 50+ pressures or whatever, more than half were Ware's. and when you look at the total team sack numbers, there's not really a high correlation between teams with 1 sack leader and the total amount of pressure they bring. the most successful defenses bring pressure from a variety of sources.

believe it or not, having a stud pass rusher is not the panacea we all think it is... I was speaking with Dallas fans... who obviously love demarcus ware. but the problem is that the team relies on 1 person to make big plays on defense, and when that doesn't happen you are totally screwed. it breeds laziness in the scheme. no one else has to get to the QB cause demarcus is gonna do it. of the cowboys 50+ pressures or whatever, more than half were Ware's. and when you look at the total team sack numbers, there's not really a high correlation between teams with 1 sack leader and the total amount of pressure they bring. the most successful defenses bring pressure from a variety of sources.

I don't think Rex would breed laziness in the pass-rush department. Bringing in a 1st round pass-rusher to team with Aaron Maybin can only result in good things.

Having one legit every-down pass-rusher >>>> none. I don't feel sorry for Dallas fans, especially since Rob Ryan is already getting that D to play much better than the crapola they were under Wade Phillips.

Furthermore, if they have a problem with hoping Ware makes plays, then it stands to reason we expect Darrelle Revis to do everything, right?

What are you, a f*cking park ranger now?

Yeah, we are desperate for help. I mean wtf, how are we supposed to succeed with the first, sixth and fifth ranked pass defense in football over the last three years???

Come on, the Giants were AWESOME and they have a GREAT pass rush. Two pass rushers in first two rounds please, my pass rush pee-pee feels SO SMALL right now!!!

The only reason the pass D ranks pretty highly every year is because Revis takes away the best reciever. we still need a guy to shake up the QB to create turnovers.

No offense, but the Giants defense kinda sucks. They have a ton of pass rushers, but the guys they have would not be that popular here. They are always hurt. Maybe that is the real truth of it, that they are either good or injured (sucky). Osi, Tuck and Kiwanuka all spent enough time hurt that JetNation would be reviling them at a John Abraham-ish level. I guess we would all love JPP, but that is a fairly new thing.

The Jets get to the passer but you're right in that they need that big closer that keeps QBs off balance at the end of games when you don't want to gamble with the blitz. You don't see too many contenders going out there without that big indomitable threat off the edge, which makes the Pats decisions to ignore their own pass rush that much more confusing. As for the Jets, they haven't drafted one of those guys since John Abraham. Maybe they just don't have the evaluators in the front office that can identify a JPP or a Justin Tuck?

John Abraham was so long ago

What are you, a f*cking park ranger now?

i dont get that reference is it a yogi bear thing? are you worried about your pic a nic basket?

as for the "we need more pass rush" thing. yes it's true they need more pass rush. But my point is a stud pass rusher isn't as important to winning or losing as the quarterback. after all the Jets beat the Cowboys last year largely on Tony Romo's brain meltdown throwing int to Revis. improving the defense is important and the jets will do it but if Sanch-bow doesn't perform they are screwed, pass rusher or no.

i dont get that reference is it a yogi bear thing? are you worried about your pic a nic basket?

as for the "we need more pass rush" thing. yes it's true they need more pass rush. But my point is a stud pass rusher isn't as important to winning or losing as the quarterback. after all the Jets beat the Cowboys last year largely on Tony Romo's brain meltdown throwing int to Revis. improving the defense is important and the jets will do it but if Sanch-bow doesn't perform they are screwed, pass rusher or no.

So the moral of the story is the Jets are ****ed until they get a QB. That's all you needed to say.

Archived