Jets Targeting Brandon Taylor Early Per TFY

RutgersJetFan

the reason why Randle would be such a great fit for the Jets is he's really good at catching poorly thrown balls. Between Sanchez and Tebow he'd get a steady diet of them.

Randle very overrated, didnt do squat in champ game, didnt get open either

Did u see who was throwing to him? If you think tebow and Sanchez are bad you would think they are all pro compared toJordan Jefferson. Bama doubled and high lowed him to make someone else beat them is another reason I think your mistaken

Both games vs Bama randle did zippo, LSU was undefeated and were gawd's gift going into that game.

Trent Robinson...besides height (5'10) which is overrated (see Bob Sanders) he's a leader (Team Captain), playmaker (9 career INTs), has a nose for the ball (averaged 8 tackles per game), is known as a hard hitter and fast (4.43 pro day).

He could even keep his number and stay in green...

trmsu_crop_650x440.jpg?1327502909

Dre Kirkpatrick...? Any shot looking for the conversion?

I read about this somewhere in the draft milieu. He has size, and is a good hitter. Likes press coverage. Some criticism about lack of CB speed leads to talk of him being maybe suited to playing S. He is tall, but a little on the light side -- adding NFL weight isn't going to do anything for his speed.

Trent Robinson...besides height (5'10) which is overrated (see Bob Sanders) he's a leader (Team Captain), playmaker (9 career INTs), has a nose for the ball (averaged 8 tackles per game), is known as a hard hitter and fast (4.43 pro day).

He could even keep his number and stay in green...

trmsu_crop_650x440.jpg?1327502909

Not big on Robinson. His size can cause problems in the running game, willing to come up and support but sometime just bounces off of guys. Don't see a hard hitter, and he gets beat in coverage. Misses tackles after the catch too. Not sure I even see an upgrade over Eric Smith when I watch him.

Not big on Robinson. His size can cause problems in the running game, willing to come up and support but sometime just bounces off of guys. Don't see a hard hitter, and he gets beat in coverage. Misses tackles after the catch too. Not sure I even see an upgrade over Eric Smith when I watch him.

Who do like in the mid rounds for Safety. Taylor is only 1 inch taller, Robinson smoked him in every statistical category at the combine and has double the career ints. Robinson bounces off a tackle every now and then, true but there isn't a Safety better in the draft who excels to the ball carrier imo. Also Taylor, like Barron played with an NFL prospect at every position on Defense.

Who do like in the mid rounds for Safety. Taylor is only 1 inch taller, Robinson smoked him in every statistical category at the combine and has double the career ints. Robinson bounces off a tackle every now and then, true but there isn't a Safety better in the draft who excels to the ball carrier imo. Also Taylor, like Barron played with an NFL prospect at every position on Defense.

And Taylor, unlike Barron, wasn't arguably the best of the bunch.

Robinson is definitely interesting for safety depth and his coverage ability, but what do you think his chances are of being an impact player early? Sounds somewhat interchangeable with Iloka now that I think about it...upside...potential...finesse games get them moved to to the FS/cover safety pile...Man these safeties are a bore after Barron...It's really going to suck when they pass on him unless it doesn't.

Barron is very good, Iloka was exciting at senior bowl. Markelle Martin was pretty good. Taylor could tackle.

but honestly i don't want to be having the conversation next year how we can't draft all these great safeties in 2013 cause we took Brandon Taylor 3 rounds too early last year. I'd take Trent Robinson with a comp 7.

Barron is very good, Iloka was exciting at senior bowl. Markelle Martin was pretty good. Taylor could tackle.

but honestly i don't want to be having the conversation next year how we can't draft all these great safeties in 2013 cause we took Brandon Taylor 3 rounds too early last year. I'd take Trent Robinson with a comp 7.

5th round is the right round. Stop being so mean.

And Taylor, unlike Barron, wasn't arguably the best of the bunch.

Robinson is definitely interesting for safety depth and his coverage ability, but what do you think his chances are of being an impact player early? Sounds somewhat interchangeable with Iloka now that I think about it...upside...potential...finesse games get them moved to to the FS/cover safety pile...Man these safeties are a bore after Barron...It's really going to suck when they pass on him unless it doesn't.

Word, after Barron it really is slim pickings. I'm just saying...Robinson in the 5th or Taylor in the 2nd....I'd rather Robinson in the 5th.

Word, after Barron it really is slim pickings. I'm just saying...Robinson in the 5th or Taylor in the 2nd....I'd rather Robinson in the 5th.

Agreed but the great safety shortage of 2012 might push Robinson up like it did Taylor.

What do you think of Philip Thomas from Syracuse? He's another "hey, let's throw him at the wall and see if he sticks" type safety in the draft in the late rounds.

Agreed but the great safety shortage of 2012 might push Robinson up like it did Taylor.

What do you think of Philip Thomas from Syracuse? He's another "hey, let's throw him at the wall and see if he sticks" type safety in the draft in the late rounds.

I only have eyes for Trenton. Give me the skinny on Thomas and I'll tell you if I can be swayed.

Except technique is essentially what makes Revis better than every other cornerback. No easy feat.

You are right. That LSU secondary was packed with athletes who played with bad technique (see Patrick Robinson).

You can coach technique you can't coach athleticism

I agree. It may take some time - but then again it might not. Depends on how hard the player works. But then again that will be the deciding factor in any draft pick.

I only have eyes for Trenton. Give me the skinny on Thomas and I'll tell you if I can be swayed.

No need for swaying just paintballing the wall. Best to stick with someone who wasn't suspended for a year and put up better athletic numbers. Thomas has some range and picked up 6 INTs last year.

Eh, watch him against Minnesota and tell me he's a starting caliber safety in the NFL. He had two picks in that game, one of which was actually a nice play and the other was just thrown to him, but he got bowled over, missed a huge tackle that led to a TD, and got burned in coverage. Got beat in coverage repeatedly against Wisconsin too and burned more than once against Georgia. Not sure how he covers or tackles NFL athletes on a consistent enough basis to start when he gets beat as much as he did in college.

I'd rather Markelle Martin or Antonio Allen as a mid-round safety, try to convert a guy like Trumaine Johnson, Robert Blanton, or Brandon Hardin who can actually cover, or take a shot on Janzen Jackson or Phillip Thomas.

since we are talking safeties, keep an eye on Jerron McMillian out of Maine. remember the Jets had 2 Maine Black Bears last year (Devito and Mulligan) and McMillian might be the best prospect out of there for some time. Had a very good workout at pro day. another comp 6/7 round possibility.

since we are talking safeties, keep an eye on Jerron McMillian out of Maine. remember the Jets had 2 Maine Black Bears last year (Devito and Mulligan) and McMillian might be the best prospect out of there for some time. Had a very good workout at pro day. another comp 6/7 round possibility.

Isn't the other Maine safety supposed to be decent as well? Trever Coston?

Eh, watch him against Minnesota and tell me he's a starting caliber safety in the NFL. He had two picks in that game, one of which was actually a nice play and the other was just thrown to him, but he got bowled over, missed a huge tackle that led to a TD, and got burned in coverage. Got beat in coverage repeatedly against Wisconsin too and burned more than once against Georgia. Not sure how he covers or tackles NFL athletes on a consistent enough basis to start when he gets beat as much as he did in college.

I'd rather Markelle Martin or Antonio Allen as a mid-round safety, try to convert a guy like Trumaine Johnson, Robert Blanton, or Brandon Hardin who can actually cover, or take a shot on Janzen Jackson or Phillip Thomas.

Dude don't even tell me the Wisconsin game was fair for any Defensive back in the Nation. It was like the Red Sea parting every down. I agree he had a tough game against Georgia. Once again I think they were just overmatched physically. Georgia basically bent them over early on with a ton of screens and draws and then just started taking shots over the top down the sideline. Didn't see Minnisota game...Hey he's still considered one of the better cover safeties this draft, per Pauline and he certainly doesn't shy away from contact.

And BTW I think Wisconsin is one of his better games. He's all over the field making plays. He gets caught biting on a couple plays but again their F7 was non existent.

Martin's fall from grace this offseason now makes him one of the better mid round sleepers imo. Reminds me of William Moore.

Isn't the other Maine safety supposed to be decent as well? Trever Coston?

per TFY April 10

- "With a dire need at safety expect the Jets to load up at the position, possibly in the late rounds and definitely after the draft. Jerron McMillian and Trevor Coston, two safety’s from Maine, as well as sleeper Chad Faulcon of Montclair State, are all being brought into to teams facility for the local pro-day later this week."

http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/201...-visits-ravens

Fast-rising draft prospect Brandon Hardin (Oregon State) has either or is scheduled to visit 15 NFL teams, including the Baltimore Ravens. After sustaining a shoulder injury last year, the defensive back has become an interesting prospect for a variety of reasons. At 6'2" and 216 pounds, he has great size to man up the bigger wide receivers in the NFL.

According to a story by Aaron Wilson of Scout.com, along with his size, he adds speed (4.36 40-yard dash) and strength (24 reps of the 225 pound bench press) to his resume. Oh yeah, he also had a 35.5" high jump and a 10'4" broad jump, amazing numbers for a guy of his size.

BrandonHardinIntASU.jpg

Projected to be a third or fourth round selection in the draft later this month, Hardin's size also make him more likely to become a safety in the NFL rather than a cornerback.Either way, he could be an interesting possibility for the Ravens to ponder depending on what they do in the earlier rounds of the draft.

See what NFL Draft Scout has to say about Hardin, who they rate as the 4th best free safety prospect in the draft, although they list more well-known safety prospects Mark Barron (Alabama) and Harrison Smith as free safeties.

Hardin would be awesome....That guy I can understand generating interest...Alls I ask is not Harrison Smith.

Watched him play living out here. Definitely one of those guys that you watch on the field and they pass the "eye" test, which I hate saying. Just seems like he would be a good fit for the Jets considering our division has big TE's in NE and Buf.

Watched him play living out here. Definitely one of those guys that you watch on the field and they pass the "eye" test, which I hate saying. Just seems like he would be a good fit for the Jets considering our division has big TE's in NE and Buf.

Only caveat is not with any of the first three picks as they are now.

Archived