Jets Targeting Brandon Taylor Early Per TFY

RutgersJetFan

I'd assume this is conditional on the Richardson scenario not having legs, because there's no way we hold on to our 2nd and 3rd if we make that jump.

Will the New York Jets select a safety early in the draft despite signing LaRon Landry in free agency? Our information is yes, as sources point out Landry was only given a one-year deal. So who is the team targeting?? Sources tell us the Jets safety board is in the following order: Mark Barron/Alabama, Harrison Smith/Notre Dame, Brandon Taylor/LSU, George Iloka/Boise State then Trent Robinson/Michigan State. Taylor is the one to watch, especially if he’s available in round three. Sources tell me competing coaches in the SEC have talked about Taylor in glowing terms and say there’s not as big a drop off between he and Mark Barron as some may think. We’ve been critical of Taylor’s cover skills but it was pointed out that he did see action at cornerback early in his career and may just need to be “coached up” on his ball skills.

i know the Jets don't have a 4th but Brandon taylor seems reachy in the 3rd. he can't really run well.

Seems to be a prerequisite if you want to cover the middle of the field for the Jets lol.

Seems to be a prerequisite if you want to cover the middle of the field for the Jets lol.

that being said... I like Taylor but he's more of a 5th at least on my board. side note if they took him they'd have Taylor and Landry 2 LSU safeties starting? pretty big change for a team that had only 1 SEC player last year in John Conner.

Taylor's a nice player, and if they think he can cover then that's that....Like Bit a little leery of using higher than a 5th on him because that's what he was before a good offseason, but like Harrison Smith another safety who benefits greatly from a terrible class after Barron.

Iloka offers upside but his 40 wasn't badass...a sub-4.6 would have been nice.

I think you can almost throw out your draft round projections when it comes to safeties in this draft because the position is so thin. Teams will have to reach at least a round before their draft value in order to avoid being shut out of the market of viable starting safeties.

I think you can almost throw out your draft round projections when it comes to safeties in this draft because the position is so thin. Teams will have to reach at least a round before their draft value in order to avoid being shut out of the market of viable starting safeties.

I think you're spot on.

i know Im a broken record but it should be noted the Jets under Rex have never drafted a safety. In any round. Using a 3 on Taylor would be a huge departure from their recent history. WIth all the revis hold out talk a CB might actually be more likely than a S.

Iloka offers upside but his 40 wasn't badass...a sub-4.6 would have been nice.

iloka, taylor and markelle martin (and others such as Antonio Allen) were all in Senior bowl practices. Iloka was the best, by far. Taylor hit hard but seemed kinda exploitable in coverage (which is the Jets safety profile it would seem).

iloka, taylor and markelle martin (and others such as Antonio Allen) were all in Senior bowl practices. Iloka was the best, by far. Taylor hit hard but seemed kinda exploitable in coverage (which is the Jets safety profile it would seem).

What are you talking about? Shannahan said he was a hell of a player and one of the biggest eye openers because of his player during the senior bowl practices

What are you talking about? Shannahan said he was a hell of a player and one of the biggest eye openers because of his player during the senior bowl practices

I was there. Shanahan had his opinion and I have mine. Brandon Taylor hit really hard. He had easily the biggest hit of the week. But Iloka made INT and way more impact plays.

i know Im a broken record but it should be noted the Jets under Rex have never drafted a safety. In any round. Using a 3 on Taylor would be a huge departure from their recent history. WIth all the revis hold out talk a CB might actually be more likely than a S.

So are you suggesting that since the Jets haven't drafted a safety in the past 3 years, a period in which they had an extremely limited number of picks to begin with, they will never again draft one for as long as Rex is the head coach? If you tried to use that logic just one year ago, then you would be suggesting that the Jets would never draft any position outside of QB, RB, OL, CB or FB as long as Rex was head coach. The Jets had never drafted a DL or WR under Rex prior to that, yet they drafted two of each last year, making up 4 of their 6 picks.

So are you suggesting that since the Jets haven't drafted a safety in the past 3 years, a period in which they had an extremely limited number of picks to begin with, they will never again draft one for as long as Rex is the head coach? If you tried to use that logic just one year ago, then you would be suggesting that the Jets would never draft any position outside of QB, RB, OL, CB or FB as long as Rex was head coach. The Jets had never drafted a DL or WR under Rex prior to that, yet they drafted two of each last year, making up 4 of their 6 picks.

But yet you discount the fact that they don't have any safeties that can run as an indication that they like slow safeties.

Iloka also played some CB just in the past couple of years for Boise.

I was there. Shanahan had his opinion and I have mine. Brandon Taylor hit really hard. He had easily the biggest hit of the week. But Iloka made INT and way more impact plays.

Yeah I was there too for the practices in mobile. I'm not saying IIoka isn't good I'm just saying that brandon taylor isn't as bad in pass coverage as you think. He will be a lot better than laron in coverage. He couldn't have been that bad in coverage being a starter/leader/impact player on the deepest team in college football. Oh and he didn't play against Nevada and Idaho every week

Yeah I was there too for the practices in mobile. I'm not saying IIoka isn't good I'm just saying that brandon taylor isn't as bad in pass coverage as you think. He will be a lot better than laron in coverage. He couldn't have been that bad in coverage being a starter/leader/impact player on the deepest team in college football. Oh and he didn't play against Nevada and Idaho every week

i like taylor and hope the Jets draft him. Just not too early is all.

by the way Harrison Smith was also in Senior Bowl practices. And he didn't do a damn thing. His rise has been purely combine related. as a football player I graded him out as a late rounder.

Yeah I'm not sold on that guy either typical overhyped ND player. Floyd could be a good WR only ND player worth a damn in a while. I know I might be an LSU homer but I really think Reuben randle is a going to be a really good big WR that is going to be a deep threat we should take in Rd 2 if he's there and get Taylor in Rd 3. Get a pass rusher in the First. IMO that would be 3 solid picks

I know I might be an LSU homer but I really think Reuben randle is a going to be a really good big WR that is going to be a deep threat we should take in Rd 2 if he's there

i have randle going late rd 1. 26 to Hou. He's gonna go higher than people are mocking, JMO.

Archived