DeMario Davis

TNJet

Davis should be an OLB in my opinion thats where we need his speed the most. Isn't this a no brainer? Why would we just play him inside when he played OLB some in college, and we have worse depth at OLB than ILB?

Davis should be an OLB in my opinion thats where we need his speed the most. Isn't this a no brainer? Why would we just play him inside when he played OLB some in college, and we have worse depth at OLB than ILB?

Well he's been compared to a young Scott, who did play on the outside once or twice for the Ravens.

Today's game is putting more and more onus on athleticism and being able to be moved around...Maybe it's always been that way...Either way, players should be able to do it ideally and Davis has that kind of athleticism.

He's going to be the nickel LB along with Harris this year. Jets took him and Bush specifically for their sub packages.

In the 3-4, OLBs are essentially DEs. They need to be able to take on OTs and contain the run as well as rush the passer. They need to be bigger guys. From the inside position, Davis can use his speed to rush the passer or cover TEs.

He's going to be the nickel LB along with Harris this year. Jets took him and Bush specifically for their sub packages.

In the 3-4, OLBs are essentially DEs. They need to be able to take on OTs

and contain the run as well as rush the passer. They need to be bigger guys. From the inside position, Davis can use his speed to rush the passer or cover TEs.

Spot on, the OLB's in the Jets 3-4 need to be around 270. Take Takles on and rush. Davis will cover RB's TE's and play OLB in th 46 or 4-3 D's.

May be the Mike?

In the 3-4, OLBs are essentially DEs. They need to be able to take on OTs and contain the run as well as rush the passer. They need to be bigger guys. From the inside position, Davis can use his speed to rush the passer or cover TEs.

I know about the measurables of the 3-4 Slats, kinda like how Davis is too small for the ILB in a 3-4. He's the same size and weight as Vilma, someone we ousted off because he was supposedly too small. So my thinking was if he's large enough to shed blocks in the middle, he should be big and fast enough to play outside even more so. Heck look at Maybin's production outside situationally last year.

I know about the measurables of the 3-4 Slats, kinda like how Davis is too small for the ILB in a 3-4. He's the same size and weight as Vilma, someone we ousted off because he was supposedly too small. So my thinking was if he's large enough to shed blocks in the middle, he should be big and fast enough to play outside even more so. Heck look at Maybin's production outside situationally last year.

Vilma might be 235 now, but he wasn't here. Even then they have completely different games with Davis being the more stout LB.

He'll be an OLB by positioning when they put 4 on the DL.

In the Steelers version of the 3-4, they employ fast inside linebackers who blitz up the middle and shoot gaps against the run. As a result, their defense is more of an attacking version than ours. Davis is our James Farrior and helps us defend the middle of the field against the pass.

Hmmm must be because he's penciled in as the next Ray Lewis and has to lead at the ILB position. Please. Just put the guy outside and make him go get Brady and Big Ben.

I think hes too small to play OLB in a 3-4 he's 6 '2" 235, Pace is 6'4" 265. His arms are pretty decent length at 32 inches but hes still kind of small.

Maybin's production has been as a situational pass rusher. He's putting on weight in hopes of also increasing the size of his role. At 240, he's too small to be an every down OLB in the 3-4. Pace and Thomas are 6'4" 265. That's what you want at OLB. Davis is 6'2" 235 (which makes him a little bigger than Vilma), also too small to regularly take on OTs in the running game.

The Jets hope to see Davis become an every down player eventually. In the 3-4, that position will be as Bart Scott's replacement.

Let's say Davis is being groomed to be Scott's replacement, could he really take on the roles Scott did? Wasn't Scott's role was to also take up blockers to let Harris go after the QB? Would those roles switch when its Harris and Davis inside and Harris is taking up blocks while Davis shoots the gap?

Let's say Davis is being groomed to be Scott's replacement, could he really take on the roles Scott did? Wasn't Scott's role was to also take up blockers to let Harris go after the QB? Would those roles switch when its Harris and Davis inside and Harris is taking up blocks while Davis shoots the gap?

There's no doubt that Davis is faster than Harris, but Harris is still good at what he does. I'd think they'd share both jobs, making the Jets' dee more difficult to gameplan against.

There's no doubt that Davis is faster than Harris, but Harris is still good at what he does. I'd think they'd share both jobs, making the Jets' dee more difficult to gameplan against.

Good idea. Not taking anything away from Harris, he is still a beast in this D. I just wonder how well Davis could be at taking on blocks for someone his size.

Not to mention that the DL should be bigger and more ahletic so the LBers hopefully are doing more cleanup than grunt work.

Nah. Davis is an ILB.

Imagine what this defense will look like if Maybin bulks up, but doesn't lose his pass rush. Maybin - Davis - Harris - Pace

Pace's eventual replacement will be one of the R1-R3 picks next year. If we hit on that pick, damn... we'll have some serious youth/speed there.

Archived