what happened to the Rondo haters on here??

Blackout

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

over rated? :sign0090:

What you saw last night was a guy perfectly capable of carrying his team offensively and didn't up until Game 2 of the 3rd round. That's not a good thing and only goes to further highlight how inconsistent of a player he is. Good players can do that. Not great ones.

jules-no-ifs-o.gif

it's true

Rondo is the best point guard in the league hand's down...nobody can touch him defensively and he's the best play maker and passer in the league

all he needs is that jumpshot to be consistent and BAM....

Rondo is built like the old school guys...

taking direct shots at the Heat Iove it.

How are you opening holes in their defense?? We're taking advantage of them whining and complaining to the refs during transition. ****in loved it. Any other series and i despise the celtics, but that comment had me dying.

The Fat Lever reference in itself. Rondo's much better too

It's actually not the first time I've heard the comparison.

Fat Lever is criminally underrated. The player he was from '86-'90 (before he hurt his knee) is better than Rondo is at this moment IMO.

Over those 4 seasons, his per games averages were 18.8 pts/8.9 reb(!)/7.5 assists/2.5 steals. Over the last 4 years, Rondo is at 12.1 pts/4.7 reb/10.0 assists/2.1 steals. Even era-adjusted, Lever's numbers are far better. I mean, people get wet over Rondo's rebounding and in Lever, you're talking about a 6'3" PG who was grabbing 9 boards a game and could actually sink his free throws.

Since the '86 season, only Kidd and Magic have more triple-doubles than Lever. In 115 more career games, LeBron has 10 less triple-doubles than Lever's 42.

Rondo also has a tremendous advantage in playing on a better team, as Alex English was the only All-Star that Lever had the benefit of playing alongside.

I don't think the comparison is laughable at all, even if it was muttered by a dope like Magic.

It's actually not the first time I've heard the comparison.

Fat Lever is criminally underrated. The player he was from '86-'90 (before he hurt his knee) is better than Rondo is at this moment IMO.

Over those 4 seasons, his per games averages were 18.8 pts/8.9 reb(!)/7.5 assists/2.5 steals. Over the last 4 years, Rondo is at 12.1 pts/4.7 reb/10.0 assists/2.1 steals. Even era-adjusted, Lever's numbers are far better. I mean, people get wet over Rondo's rebounding and in Lever, you're talking about a 6'3" PG who was grabbing 9 boards a game and could actually sink his free throws.

Since the '86 season, only Kidd and Magic have more triple-doubles than Lever. In 115 more career games, LeBron has 10 less triple-doubles than Lever's 42.

Rondo also has a tremendous advantage in playing on a better team, as Alex English was the only All-Star that Lever had the benefit of playing alongside.

I don't think the comparison is laughable at all, even if it was muttered by a dope like Magic.

I have the Dallas Maverick Lever in my head I guess. I'm really too young to really say.

But Earvin dropping his name was pretty funny considering the audience probably has zero idea who he was talking about.

I have the Dallas Maverick Lever in my head I guess. I'm really too young to really say. But Earvin dropping his name was pretty funny considering the audience probably has zero idea who he was talking about.

Oh, I agree that the comparison would be lost on most of the people watching the game. There are other similarities there as well - both are good defenders and have ugly shots.

Dallas Fat Lever was post knee injury and he was a shell of himself. Obviously, sports coverage wasn't what it is today, so I wasn't watching a lot of Denver Nuggets regular season games, but I remember watching them in the playoffs back then (even though I was young-ish) and have caught some old footage as an adult as well. Rondo is cut from the same mold... I'd say (younger) Kidd falls into the same category as well, as point guards who can control the game and are capable of scoring without having a consistent shot.

Oh, I agree that the comparison would be lost on most of the people watching the game. There are other similarities there as well - both are good defenders and have ugly shots.

Dallas Fat Lever was post knee injury and he was a shell of himself. Obviously, sports coverage wasn't what it is today, so I wasn't watching a lot of Denver Nuggets regular season games, but I remember watching them in the playoffs back then (even though I was young-ish) and have caught some old footage as an adult as well. Rondo is cut from the same mold... I'd say (younger) Kidd falls into the same category as well, as point guards who can control the game and are capable of scoring without having a consistent shot.

I was having this conversation last night cued up by the Magic references. He's like a combo of Kidd (looks to pass first, no real offensive game), Stockton (incredible court vision) and Thomas (ability to penetrate the lane with ease).

If I had to just say one player, it would be a young Kidd. Has no offense, wants to pass first, but can rebound as well. He's the only real comparison IMO.

I'm not sure any team has made a series of disastrous moves as much as Portland did between Lever and Bowie. Even Calvin Natt too.

I think the series of moves that led to the "Stepien Rule" trumps it... In a course of two years, the Cavs made a bunch of trades that netted them essentially nothing useful while giving up players like Bill Laimbeer, Charles Oakley, and James Edwards in addition to draft picks (every #1 from '81 through '86 and numerous others) that ended up being James Worthy, Derek Harper, Sam Perkins, Detlef Schrempf, Roy Tarpley (awesome when not suspended for being a cokehead), and Dennis Rodman.

I think the series of moves that led to the "Stepien Rule" trumps it... In a course of two years, the Cavs made a bunch of trades that netted them essentially nothing useful while giving up players like Bill Laimbeer, Charles Oakley, and James Edwards in addition to draft picks (every #1 from '81 through '86 and numerous others) that ended up being James Worthy, Derek Harper, Sam Perkins, Detlef Schrempf, Roy Tarpley (awesome when not suspended for being a cokehead), and Dennis Rodman.

I don't know where the line is to be honest, or where to even start comparing them. Stepien wrecked a franchise and Portland blew what would have been probably the most dominant dynasty ever. I'll forever appreciate the hilarity of the Stepien Rule preventing Isiah from doing further damage though.

I don't know where the line is to be honest, or where to even start comparing them. Stepien wrecked a franchise and Portland blew what would have been probably the most dominant dynasty ever. I'll forever appreciate the hilarity of the Stepien Rule preventing Isiah from doing further damage though.

I don't think the Lever trade really factors into it all that much, because if he's still there, they don't draft Terry Porter with their #1 in '85. You really don't need to look any further than Bowie over Jordan as the defining move. Assuming that the only change is that draft pick, in '89-'90, you're looking at a starting 5 of:

Porter

Jordan

Drexler

Buck Williams

Duckworth

with a bench of Kersey, Cliff Robinson, and Petrovic. There's no way that team loses to Detroit in the Finals.

In '90-'91, swap Ainge for Petro in the rotation... that team gets past the Lakers in the WCF. In '91-'92, they return the same team and beat whoever is representing the East, since a Jordan-less Bulls team wouldn't be sniffing the Finals.

You can continue doing the same for the rest of Jordan's career... it's easily the worst singular transaction in NBA history. My point was just that if you're looking at a series of events that set back a franchise, Stepien wins.

I don't think the Lever trade really factors into it all that much, because if he's still there, they don't draft Terry Porter with their #1 in '85. You really don't need to look any further than Bowie over Jordan as the defining move. Assuming that the only change is that draft pick, in '89-'90, you're looking at a starting 5 of:

Porter

Jordan

Drexler

Buck Williams

Duckworth

with a bench of Kersey, Cliff Robinson, and Petrovic. There's no way that team loses to Detroit in the Finals.

In '90-'91, swap Ainge for Petro in the rotation... that team gets past the Lakers in the WCF. In '91-'92, they return the same team and beat whoever is representing the East, since a Jordan-less Bulls team wouldn't be sniffing the Finals.

You can continue doing the same for the rest of Jordan's career... it's easily the worst singular transaction in NBA history. My point was just that if you're looking at a series of events that set back a franchise, Stepien wins.

You're forgetting Nutt and that other big too, name escapes me but he was solid. They already had one of the deepest teams in the league and I think the only thing they got in return for all their moves was Kiki. Even taking Porter into account that is horrendous.

If the guy had a jump shot he'd be one of the top 5 players in the league. He's got crazy good skills and vision, still thought his along with the rest of the Celtics done their best to **** up the end of the game last night, their offense was putrid towards the end, hilarious to see Pietrus rebounding like a demon only for the Celtics to do **** all with it.

I think the Spurs or especially the Thunder would blow these two teams away.

You're forgetting Nutt and that other big too, name escapes me but he was solid. They already had one of the deepest teams in the league and I think the only thing they got in return for all their moves was Kiki. Even taking Porter into account that is horrendous.

Wayne Cooper. Both he and had a couple of good seasons in Denver, but were done by the time Jordan would've been in his 3rd year and/or been replaced by better players (Kersey and a couple of years later, Buck Williams).

Don't get me wrong, the Kiki trade was horrible (they send #1 and #2 picks as well), but I don't think it would've made any difference in their ability to build a dynasty had they simply drafted Jordan.

Archived