Jets Sign Rookie Camp Invitees, QB-Simms, OL-Koloto And Waive Center O’Dowd

JetNation

Post image for Jets Sign Rookie Camp Invitees, QB-Simms, OL-Koloto And Waive Center O’Dowd

With the conclusion of rookie-camp the Jets have made a few roster moves:

They have signed Matt Simms, an invitee to the recently held camp, quarterback out of the University of Tennessee.  Simms is the son of former Giants quarterback, current CBS analyst, Phil Simms and his brother Chris played five seasons in the NFL.  He appeared in seven games last season for the Volunteers throwing 27 completions for 319 yards with no touchdowns. 

Another camp invitee, Fred Koloto (KAH-low-toe) offensive linemen out of San Jose State, also received a contract from the Jets.  The 6’3” 297 pound Koloto started 23 games for the Spartans at both left guard and tackle but missed the entire 2011 season with an injury. 

The Jets waived back-up center Kris O’Dowd to make room for the new signees.

di
di

m0g8lvaE3ok

View the full article

I am glad they are jettisoning all the stiffs brought in for OL depth last season. Al least we are not married to those mistakes and are moving on.

O'Dowd was only actually brought in this offseason. Although it doesn't say much for him if he only stuck around this long. Believe it or not, I actually think the Jets are pretty happy with their first guys off the bench between Schlauderaff (who they really seem to like) and whoever loses out between Hunter/Ducasse. Whether or not they should be is a different question.

Sign Chad Clifton and plug him in at RT

I haven't heard much about his rehab, but halfway healthy he is twice as good as the collection of jive turkeys we have at RT. Clifton showed signs of age/wear and tear the last couple of years, but his cut was as much about salary as injury -- and the Packers already have younger guys they want to get in the mix. If healthy, this would be a good short term solution.

Archived