Rotoworld Shonn Greene observations

19andOhWait

I am what I eat! Hahahahahaaaa

I'm a ham sandwich, btw. Very sad.

I once had a conversation with a 350 pound girl who felt the need to explain to me that her new boyfriend like to lick. I thought to myself, lick what? I just smiled at her and sheepishly said k,k,oool? I have been spending 25$ on mouthwash a month ever since.

"My Porsche would be awesome if I remembered to put an engine in it."

They put an engine in it, it just needs some fine tuning.

OT: I just saw some footage of Sanchez throwing to Tebow practicing some goalline plays. Looks like Tebow has nice hands.

Yep. This is a period of hell. Worst GM, coach, QB, RB, scouting, owner ever.

Just a reminder. In the last 15 years the Jets have had 3 losing seasons. Been to the AFC Championship game 3 times. In the history of the NY Jets since the NFL merger they have been to the AFC Championship game once before that.

In the prior 15 years before 1997 the Jets had 10 losing seasons.

In the 12 glory years of Namath they had 7 losing seasons.

Sure do miss when the Jets were good and had competent FO, CS. Ah, the good ole days

Then they went out and hired a BEAN COUNTER who only knows how to COUNT BEANS and ACCOUNT. He never played and therefore is incapable of getting the football.

Then they went out and hired a BEAN COUNTER who only knows how to COUNT BEANS and ACCOUNT. He never played and therefore is incapable of getting the football.

So, Tannenbaum is your new Schottenjunior? You're like the Mother Theresa of Jets fans.

No he's not great, but if our offensive line played anywhere near where they are capable of playing, it wouldn't be that much of an issue.

That philosophy gets proven right more often than not, by teams that know how to build and sustain a great O-line over time.

Guys like Arian Foster, Priest Holmes, Rudi Johnson, Terrell Davis, to name a few... none of them elite talent, all of them put in situations where the O-line was elite, the blocking scheme suited to their strengths, the whole team knew how to block beyond the 2nd level of the defense, and most importantly... there was very good QB play.

I think that the reality is that the Jets' OL is no longer elite. Replacing Faneca with Slausson was probably not a significant decline, but Slausson isn't going to make any Pro Bowls. He's probably not going to get better than he has been. Replacing Woody with Hunter was a major downgrade. Hunter is a career backup, not a starting RT. Moore is 32 and on the downside of his career. Ducasse wasn't even good enough to unseat Hunter despite his bad play. The Jets' other backup OLers are late rounders that haven't shown anything yet if they actually do have anything, so expecting the OL to return to 2009 or 2010 quality doesn't seem likely. Without a great OL, the Jets will need a better RB than Green if they are serious about being a run-first team.

How can you count Powell and McKnight as misses when we've barely seen anything from them?

Last season, coming in, I predicted that McKnight would do things to make Jets fans love him. He did. He changed a lot of minds. Give any of these guys over 150 carries in a season before writing them off. Frankly, it just doesn't pay off to use early draft picks on RB. Adrian Peterson being the only exception I can think of recently.

Hell, when you can get guys like Fred Jackson out of Canada... and his O-line isn't even elite... then the problem isn't that RB's are hard to find in mid-rounds, the problem is our scouting sucks for mid-round RBs.

Freddie Jackson came out of NFL Europe IIRC. Be that as it may, where a RB is drafted (or NOT drafted as with Jackson and Foster) is less important than his talents and/or the skills that he develops. A good RB doesn't have to be as fast or as elusive as Adrian Peterson or CJ Spiller to be successful, but he ought to have some speed. He ought to have decent vision. He ought to be able to break tackles. I think the criticism of Green is that he doesn't bring much even for a third rounder. He runs hard to the hole. Period.

Yep, great coach bad GM

Agreed. Parcells seemed to get worse as a GM at each stop, too.

If the Jets ever get a "football guy" as GM you'll know the difference if for no other reason than that GMs with experience in scouting and/or evaluating players are much less influenced by the prejudices of their head coaches.

I think that the reality is that the Jets' OL is no longer elite. Replacing Faneca with Slausson was probably not a significant decline, but Slausson isn't going to make any Pro Bowls. He's probably not going to get better than he has been. Replacing Woody with Hunter was a major downgrade. Hunter is a career backup, not a starting RT. Moore is 32 and on the downside of his career. Ducasse wasn't even good enough to unseat Hunter despite his bad play. The Jets' other backup OLers are late rounders that haven't shown anything yet if they actually do have anything, so expecting the OL to return to 2009 or 2010 quality doesn't seem likely. Without a great OL, the Jets will need a better RB than Green if they are serious about being a run-first team.

Freddie Jackson came out of NFL Europe IIRC. Be that as it may, where a RB is drafted (or NOT drafted as with Jackson and Foster) is less important than his talents and/or the skills that he develops. A good RB doesn't have to be as fast or as elusive as Adrian Peterson or CJ Spiller to be successful, but he ought to have some speed. He ought to have decent vision. He ought to be able to break tackles. I think the criticism of Green is that he doesn't bring much even for a third rounder. He runs hard to the hole. Period.

Agreed. Parcells seemed to get worse as a GM at each stop, too.

If the Jets ever get a "football guy" as GM you'll know the difference if for no other reason than that GMs with experience in scouting and/or evaluating players are much less influenced by the prejudices of their head coaches.

Damien Woody might be the most underrated player in Jets history

I think that the reality is that the Jets' OL is no longer elite. Replacing Faneca with Slausson was probably not a significant decline, but Slausson isn't going to make any Pro Bowls. He's probably not going to get better than he has been.

I'm just curious, what is your basis for saying Slauson's not going to improve? The kid was a 6th rounder who won a starting job in his second year (granted, with limited competition) and has improved quite a bit in his 2 years as a starter since then, even in spite of playing last year with a couple of legit injuries. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's going to be great by any means, but I don't see any reason he can't be a solid starter on a long term basis, and playing between the likes of Brick and Mangold, I'm not sure what more is needed beyond that.

Replacing Woody with Hunter was a major downgrade. Hunter is a career backup, not a starting RT. Moore is 32 and on the downside of his career. Ducasse wasn't even good enough to unseat Hunter despite his bad play. The Jets' other backup OLers are late rounders that haven't shown anything yet if they actually do have anything, so expecting the OL to return to 2009 or 2010 quality doesn't seem likely. Without a great OL, the Jets will need a better RB than Green if they are serious about being a run-first team.

Until Hunter proves he can get back to the level he was when he took over for Woody in 2010, I'm certainly not going to disagree with that part, but beyond that I'm not seeing the major issues. Sure Moore isn't young but early 30s is hardly certain doom for an OL, and coming off of surgery last year he was playing much better by the end of the year and even got himself a Pro Bowl nod. The point being if Hunter gets his crap together or the Jets can find someone else to address the RT position, I'm not sure there's much else to worry about there, considering these other 4 guys were all part of that 2010 line you referred to earlier.

Ever? Tannenbaum's predecessor was previously the head scout in KC and was very much a "football guy" for years.

The guy drafted a kicker with the 47th pick in the draft. That 2nd rounder was our first pick of the draft that year. We moved out of round 1 and received Doug Jolley as compensation.

He also traded 2 first rounders plus a 4th rounder for Dewayne Robertson and the cap-busting contract that came along with him.

He also drafted Bryan Thomas over Ed Reed when we had a gaping hole at safety plus had John Abraham and Shaun Ellis on the roster, each entering their 3rd NFL seasons.

And this just scratches the surface. I always had Terry Bradway conducting business and drafting while wearing a red nose and big floppy shoes, squirting his fake lapel flower into his own face.

Don't tell me about career football guys. There are good GMs and bad GMs. Whether they spent years as a football scout doesn't hurt any but Jets fans can attest that it in no way guarantees any amount of competence.

Ever? Tannenbaum's predecessor was previously the head scout in KC and was very much a "football guy" for years.

The guy drafted a kicker with the 47th pick in the draft. That 2nd rounder was our first pick of the draft that year. We moved out of round 1 and received Doug Jolley as compensation.

He also traded 2 first rounders plus a 4th rounder for Dewayne Robertson and the cap-busting contract that came along with him.

He also drafted Bryan Thomas over Ed Reed when we had a gaping hole at safety plus had John Abraham and Shaun Ellis on the roster, each entering their 3rd NFL seasons.

And this just scratches the surface. I always had Terry Bradway conducting business and drafting while wearing a red nose and big floppy shoes, squirting his fake lapel flower into his own face.

Don't tell me about career football guys. There are good GMs and bad GMs. Whether they spent years as a football scout doesn't hurt any but Jets fans can attest that it in no way guarantees any amount of competence.

Thank you. Really, thank you.

Terry Bradway, in a period of about 5 years, took the young, experienced team left behind by Parcells... Drilled it with a jackhammer, let the older pieces stay until they were nice and rotten, let the younger players (Coles) walk, and only drafted players that he could trade back for the players he let walk.

You certainly don't have to love Tanny, as he does have some flaws... But he took over a roster that was in cap hell, old, and not all that talented, and turned it into a year-to-year competitive team in not that long of a period. He also drafted probably 2 HOFers in Revis and Mangold...Which is two more then Bradway ever came close to drafting.

You're so hot.

Archived